Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837727 times)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #1825 on: January 11, 2012, 09:58:52 PM »
Do I hear $4.00?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1826 on: January 11, 2012, 10:00:05 PM »
Anyone can price a poster at 10k.  It doesn't mean crap.  What matters is whether they sell it or not.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1827 on: January 11, 2012, 10:04:42 PM »
Yea, there's a lot of people out there that will do anything to win even if it means paying an arm and a leg for something.  Personally I don't have that mentality, I don't need anything that badly, or have a strange desire to win everything I bid on, I know my limits.  That can be a costly form of entertainment you have there though, but I guess if you've done it long enough you can easily weed out the bidders who look like they won't stop, even if you get hit at least your getting something you want... that's assuming your not doing that on items your not nterested in at all, now I would find that messed up.

thumbup  No, I'm not.

But you're right, you definitely get a feel of who your opponent is, how quickly they overbid, how much time they need, etc.  It can be an expensive endeavor, but it's also a little fun.  It's a form of gambling.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #1828 on: January 11, 2012, 10:12:33 PM »
Do I hear $4.00?

I'm not trying to beat on the guy's merchandise

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1829 on: January 11, 2012, 10:16:06 PM »
I'm not trying to beat on the guy's merchandise

I might give you the benefit of the doubt on this one. It might be worth the $5.00 tag you put on it but Im just not so sure.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1830 on: January 11, 2012, 10:16:21 PM »
Gotta give Lucas some credit on this one.  He spent $100 million of his own money on this movie and the conventional wisdom is that a movie with an all black cast will fail - limited domestic market, no foreign market. Check out his appearance on the Daily Show.

As far as the poster, I showed it to one of my colleagues, and he said "it's the coolest poster you've ever bought" so it has its own appeal.....
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 10:17:04 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1831 on: January 11, 2012, 10:17:54 PM »
thumbup  No, I'm not.

But you're right, you definitely get a feel of who your opponent is, how quickly they overbid, how much time they need, etc.  It can be an expensive endeavor, but it's also a little fun.  It's a form of gambling.

T

T you are a sick man.

I like it. I cant gamble like that but I must say I do get a kick out of watching bidding wars on emovie.  8)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1832 on: January 11, 2012, 10:34:39 PM »
As far as the poster, I showed it to one of my colleagues, and he said "it's the coolest poster you've ever bought" so it has its own appeal.....

That reminds me... The one and only poster on display at my house right now is my French Laura.  One of my college buddies stopped by and asked me why I didn't display something famous.

cheers

T
My Personal Collection

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1833 on: January 11, 2012, 11:58:21 PM »
Gotta give Lucas some credit on this one.  He spent $100 million of his own money on this movie and the conventional wisdom is that a movie with an all black cast will fail - limited domestic market, no foreign market. Check out his appearance on the Daily Show.

You bought that Bus Shelter poster Mel?
Chris

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #1834 on: January 12, 2012, 12:38:44 AM »
One of my college buddies stopped by and asked me why I didn't display something famous.

wow1 
***THUD***
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1835 on: January 12, 2012, 05:46:39 AM »
No, I have the one sheet for this but the bus shelter would be very impressive:

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #1836 on: January 12, 2012, 10:49:51 AM »
That reminds me... The one and only poster on display at my house right now is my French Laura.  One of my college buddies stopped by and asked me why I didn't display something famous.

cheers

T

USC correct?  Sounds about right...

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #1837 on: January 12, 2012, 11:14:54 AM »
USC correct?  Sounds about right...

Whoa, whoa, whoa.  Let's not say things we can't take back... 

(Ultimately probably true, but I do have do defend the alma mater). 

--Peter 
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1838 on: January 12, 2012, 11:46:31 AM »
Philosophy major from SC, yes.  I should remind you that I went to SC too and I know what Laura is.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1839 on: January 12, 2012, 11:50:43 AM »
Problem is, as you've said before T, you hate hanging out with other collectors, so I'm guessing they aren't. A poster collector, or film person would know exactly what you have.

Sometimes it's good to know a few other poster/film geeks... ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #1840 on: January 12, 2012, 03:05:24 PM »
Never fear, it seems all hope is not lost for the youth of today.
My nephew (17 years old) is on holidays and asked me for some movies he could watch.
Gave him a bunch which included Kubrick's THE KILLING.
He loved it!  I was shocked, but it eases my mind a little to know that a good filum can still be appreciated even if it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of todays "blockbusters".
Ves

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #1841 on: January 12, 2012, 04:04:09 PM »
A girl at a McDonald's drive thru didn't know who Clint Eastwood was... that's significantly worse than not knowing the film Laura, which I'll admit I'm not even familiar with.  But Clint Eastwood... c'mon! This was a conversation two McDonald's employee's where having when I drove up, not something I asked.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 04:04:53 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1842 on: January 12, 2012, 04:23:56 PM »
Never fear, it seems all hope is not lost for the youth of today.
My nephew (17 years old) is on holidays and asked me for some movies he could watch.
Gave him a bunch which included Kubrick's THE KILLING.
He loved it!  I was shocked, but it eases my mind a little to know that a good filum can still be appreciated even if it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of todays "blockbusters".

Wow - I guess good taste runs in the family!
Chris

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #1843 on: January 12, 2012, 05:43:11 PM »
Wow - I guess good taste runs in the family!

:)
When he told me he enjoyed it, I told him if he wanted to really impress to give Lang's M a go.
He picked up the DVD looked it over, wide eyed...then said..."hey it's not even in English!"

Baby steps I keep telling myself, baby steps...
Ves

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1844 on: January 12, 2012, 06:27:46 PM »
:)
When he told me he enjoyed it, I told him if he wanted to really impress to give Lang's M a go.
He picked up the DVD looked it over, wide eyed...then said..."hey it's not even in English!"

Baby steps I keep telling myself, baby steps...

if he really wants to go at it Ves, have him watch both discs for Siegfried & Die Nibelungen

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1845 on: January 12, 2012, 06:41:45 PM »
Deal of the day - sadly I am currently too penurious to make a play for it - special "personality poster" (29x42) poster for Barbarella:

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #1846 on: January 12, 2012, 06:53:22 PM »

Deal of the day - sadly I am currently too penurious to make a play for it - special "personality poster" (29x42) poster for Barbarella:

Plus one if you had to look up "penurious"

+1
David

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1847 on: January 12, 2012, 07:01:52 PM »
Recalled then, recalled today.  Even if it's a fake seal (obviously), it really grosses me out.  I fail to see the appeal.

T
My Personal Collection

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1848 on: January 12, 2012, 07:17:50 PM »
Compared to some of the absolutely vile posters (like Scream) that Mondo has put out, it's very tame:

« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 07:19:48 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1849 on: January 12, 2012, 07:31:50 PM »
Recalled then, recalled today.  Even if it's a fake seal (obviously), it really grosses me out.  I fail to see the appeal.

T

stop going to movies except for tear jerkers.. everything else is laden with violence & death

-------