Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838278 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #1800 on: January 02, 2012, 08:24:19 AM »
Mel has been to the U.K.... ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1801 on: January 02, 2012, 07:41:07 PM »
Original Carole Lombard negative goes for $1,600:

« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 07:41:21 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #1802 on: January 02, 2012, 08:53:15 PM »
understanding the ins & outs of stills collecting & specialty stills items requires quite a bit of secret knowledge & hyper-focus...

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #1803 on: January 02, 2012, 10:24:44 PM »
understanding the ins & outs of stills collecting & specialty stills items requires quite a bit of secret knowledge & hyper-focus...

and nitrate negatives even more so.  Any pre-war nitrate stock is highly flammable and subject to rapid degradation.  This stuff has been known to spontaneously combust, so it needs to be stored dry and cool.  Personally, I wouldn't touch it.
-Jay-

Charlie

« Reply #1804 on: January 02, 2012, 10:36:12 PM »
Mel has been to the U.K.... ;)

Man it took me three readings to finally get it and laugh.  It could have so many meanings. 

Mel (as in the Dread Pirate) bought it on his trip....

Mel as in Mel Gibson (Mad Max). If you look at the reflection it sort of looks like Mad Max; the hat kind of matches.

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #1805 on: January 06, 2012, 01:43:59 AM »
I'd say Niagara or the 7 Year Itch are the best Marilyn posters...

For me: Niagra and Arret d'Autobus.
David

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #1806 on: January 10, 2012, 09:06:01 PM »
So any thoughts on this one that just sold on Bruce's for almost $300... I love Hammer, I love Italian posters especially the big ones but the appeal of this one confuses me.  Okay it's probably somewhat rare, but it's probably one the the uglier Italian Hammer posters I've seen.  Ironically someone was selling one of these on eBay and immediately took it down not to long ago, still had about 5 days and already had a few bids on it.  They must have been watching this go down.

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #1807 on: January 10, 2012, 09:08:44 PM »
I like it!  :D
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Bruce

« Reply #1808 on: January 10, 2012, 09:46:35 PM »
I have a related question. How come in Italian "Brides" translates to "Spose" but in France "Bride" translates to "Fiancee"?

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1809 on: January 10, 2012, 09:57:24 PM »
I like it!  :D

Its okay and I do dig Hammer stuff even though I only have one but these were the two I would have wanted had I had the means.   :'(  :P

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1810 on: January 10, 2012, 10:04:33 PM »
I have a related question. How come in Italian "Brides" translates to "Spose" but in France "Bride" translates to "Fiancee"?

Answer: because Karloff and Lanchester never consummated the relationship
Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1811 on: January 10, 2012, 10:08:34 PM »
Answer: because Karloff and Lanchester never consummated the relationship

Stage fright?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1812 on: January 10, 2012, 10:11:42 PM »
Stage fright?

I think it had more to due with their dead reused "special parts"
Chris

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #1813 on: January 10, 2012, 10:52:51 PM »

Because italians are extremely catholic and can't stand two people (monsters in this case) getting to second base without proper marriage. In the other hand, and as we all know, the french are all a bunch of perverts  ;)
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1814 on: January 10, 2012, 11:02:25 PM »

Who's the imbecile who stole this poster from me?  Bah, it's okay.  I enjoyed raising his purchase price by $150.  If I can't get a poster, I really like the other party to pay.  I know Bruce likes my philosophy too :).
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #1815 on: January 11, 2012, 08:07:43 AM »
Who's the imbecile who stole this poster from me?  Bah, it's okay.  I enjoyed raising his purchase price by $150.  If I can't get a poster, I really like the other party to pay.  I know Bruce likes my philosophy too :).
I've done this in the past and then found out,I had bumped up a fellow members bid.That member got the poster in the end,but i did feel really guilty afterwards.

Stew

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1816 on: January 11, 2012, 11:28:09 AM »
And so you should Stew, making me pay all that extra.... ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #1817 on: January 11, 2012, 12:18:40 PM »
Mr. Brie may feel guilty, but he doesn't show it because he has a good poker face.  ;D

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1818 on: January 11, 2012, 12:22:33 PM »
I've done this in the past and then found out,I had bumped up a fellow members bid.That member got the poster in the end,but i did feel really guilty afterwards.

Stew

I can't feel guilty, Stew.  My name is recognizable, so if the bidder knows who I am, he also knows he's going against me.  Therefore, it's an open contest and I have no shame toying with the person and raising the final price.  I have enough posters to know that everything comes around again, so I'll just wait for the next one, or the one after that.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #1819 on: January 11, 2012, 01:03:21 PM »
That's the way auctions work, what's to feel guilty about?  It's not like he was bidding on a poster he didn't want just to raise the price, and doing that would frankly be pretty stupid because of the likely hood you'd actually win.  I get the attitude.  It's easier to lose an auction when you have the mindset you made the other person work for it, but truth is the person who won paid what they were willing to pay, it's not toying with someone when you have no idea what they are willing to pay and you could easily be the winner at the higher price yourself.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1820 on: January 11, 2012, 01:14:36 PM »
Agreed, but at some point money is not even the issue anymore, it's about making the other one pay.  But it does work both ways, I agree.  I have been caught in my own game before where I end up paying too much for an item.  70% of the time, though, it goes the other way.  So that makes me happy.
My Personal Collection

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #1821 on: January 11, 2012, 01:30:01 PM »
Agreed, but at some point money is not even the issue anymore, it's about making the other one pay.  But it does work both ways, I agree.  I have been caught in my own game before where I end up paying too much for an item.  70% of the time, though, it goes the other way.  So that makes me happy.

Yea, there's a lot of people out there that will do anything to win even if it means paying an arm and a leg for something.  Personally I don't have that mentality, I don't need anything that badly, or have a strange desire to win everything I bid on, I know my limits.  That can be a costly form of entertainment you have there though, but I guess if you've done it long enough you can easily weed out the bidders who look like they won't stop, even if you get hit at least your getting something you want... that's assuming your not doing that on items your not nterested in at all, now I would find that messed up.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1822 on: January 11, 2012, 09:32:30 PM »
Red Tails bus shelter goes for $250....

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #1823 on: January 11, 2012, 09:56:17 PM »
The Lucas name is totally driving these insane prices on this stuff. I think people are in-visioning this generations retro Star Wars or something. I don't get it at all. Without his name attached this is a 6.00 poster.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #1824 on: January 11, 2012, 09:58:14 PM »
$5.00 poster

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------