Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837967 times)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #200 on: February 28, 2010, 03:06:59 PM »
Showing some love to the Mad Hatter.  An Alice in Wonderland lenticular sold for $577.94 on ebay today.

Up to $610 now... and the movie isn't even out yet!  It could suck for all we know!

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #201 on: February 28, 2010, 05:44:44 PM »
Up to $610 now... and the movie isn't even out yet!  It could suck for all we know!

it isn't whether the film is going to suck
it's a cool poster as are most of them for the film and is being collected as a rarity

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #202 on: February 28, 2010, 06:05:51 PM »
I know what you are saying... but if the movie flops it will surely negatively effect the poster's value.  I mean, there is a reason people pay less than $50 for the Species II and Santa Clause lenticulars, while shelling out north of $1K for the NBX and Lost World lents.  Or maybe a better example would be the Spiderman III lenticular... that one once commanded upwards of $500.  Those days are over now that everyone knows that that movie effectively killed the franchise.

Now, I'm not saying I think Alice in Wonderland will flop.  However, lets not count our chickens before they are hatched (cough... Planet of the Apes remake... cough).

kauaitx

« Reply #203 on: February 28, 2010, 11:08:28 PM »

FRAK!  FRAK!  FRAK!

This is why I have to snipe!  I forget to go bid otherwise.  Unfortunately, there's no sniping for Heritage Auctions.

I forgot to go back to Heritage tonight to bid on a poster that I had planned to bid on.  I remembered at exactly the end time!

AAAAAAAAARGH!!!      gun1

Jeannie

guest8

« Reply #204 on: March 01, 2010, 07:51:20 AM »
FRAK!  FRAK!  FRAK!

This is why I have to snipe!  I forget to go bid otherwise.  Unfortunately, there's no sniping for Heritage Auctions.

I forgot to go back to Heritage tonight to bid on a poster that I had planned to bid on.  I remembered at exactly the end time!

Jeannie

I just searched but for the life of me I cant find it .. Its either here or MPF that theres a snipe thread where someone was asking about a good snipe program one of the last posts was a suggestion and Id almost swear that the poster said it would work on heritage as well ..

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #205 on: March 01, 2010, 03:45:28 PM »
FRAK!  FRAK!  FRAK!

Jeannie

I take you don't read all my posts, Jeannie

Another esnipe user   I've been using it for many years and only had an issue when I changed my eBay password and forgot to do it on esnipe.  If you want a free sniping program, try gavelsnipe.  It also snipes Heritage auctions, if you're so inclined

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #206 on: March 01, 2010, 03:49:28 PM »
I can guarantee that gavelsnipe works as I used it last night to win a couple of movie poster books

kauaitx

« Reply #207 on: March 01, 2010, 04:08:27 PM »
I take you don't read all my posts, Jeannie

I hang my head in shame.... no, I don't read most posts and most threads on any forum.  I mostly spend what free time I have zealously hunting down For-Sale and advertisement posts sneaking themselves into the gloriously free and unadulterated poster threads.

Just goes to show how very little (actually none) poster buying I've done in over a year.  I haven't looked at Heritage posters at all for about three years now (I don't like buyer's premiums) and had no idea about the latest in sniping for it.

Thanks for bringing me out of the Dark Ages, Angelo and Fallen.

Jeannie

kauaitx

« Reply #208 on: March 01, 2010, 04:15:41 PM »
I can guarantee that gavelsnipe works as I used it last night to win a couple of movie poster books

Were they runners-up to the $1 million Batman? 

Jeannie

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #209 on: March 01, 2010, 04:33:43 PM »

Did you get Graven Images and Children of the Night?  I saw those were both in the auction and I've been meaning to pick them up for ever.  However, I didn't end up bidding last night...

If that is what you got, please let me know how you like them.  If they are any good I'll probably pick them up at some point.

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #210 on: March 01, 2010, 04:38:38 PM »
Those are exactly the books I won, Harry  ;D  Not quite a Tec 27, but at least I'll be able to read them

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #211 on: March 01, 2010, 08:23:06 PM »
Both books are highly recommended. 

Heritage seems to have a deep supply of both, and they appear quite frequently so no need for a bidding war for the patient.

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

wonka

« Reply #212 on: March 01, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »
Back on topic:

DAMN YOU THIERRY.  DAMN YOU AND YOUR GARAGE.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #213 on: March 03, 2010, 12:11:23 AM »
Did you get Graven Images and Children of the Night?  I saw those were both in the auction and I've been meaning to pick them up for ever.  However, I didn't end up bidding last night...

If that is what you got, please let me know how you like them.  If they are any good I'll probably pick them up at some point.

go to www.abebooks.com  It's pretty much the best site to buy any books, whether for reading or for collecting, including first editions of books.  I've been a collector of firsts for a long long time, and it's the site I go to, bar none, for all my book needs. And, they didn't pay me for this!  Typically, you will find these two books for better prices there than on the auction, especially at Heritage's auction where they tend to bring more.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #214 on: March 03, 2010, 12:12:07 AM »
Back on topic:

DAMN YOU THIERRY.  DAMN YOU AND YOUR GARAGE.

OK, take a breath, wonka....
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

kauaitx

« Reply #215 on: March 03, 2010, 12:23:53 AM »
go to www.abebooks.com  It's pretty much the best site to buy any books, whether for reading or for collecting, including first editions of books.  I've been a collector of firsts for a long long time, and it's the site I go to, bar none, for all my book needs. And, they didn't pay me for this!  Typically, you will find these two books for better prices there than on the auction, especially at Heritage's auction where they tend to bring more.

I, as well. 

It's a toss up for me between Abebooks and Alibris (www.alibris.com).  Some rare book dealers will post to both sites and some to just one of them, so I'd check both.  You can set Want List alerts on both sites to alert you to titles when they get put up.  I've been able to snatch rare first printings at decent prices because of this. 

Jeannie

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #216 on: March 03, 2010, 12:25:41 AM »
Ah, I forgot alibris.  I also forgot which one used to be interloc many many years ago.  Thanks for the reminder!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #217 on: March 05, 2010, 07:29:02 PM »
Emovie has this Incredibles poster up for auction. (And most of the people on this board look through the Emovie listings, so I suppose it's no big secret.)  When I bought it a year ago, the seller claimed it was an "unreleased" poster.  Anybody know for sure?

Carson

« Reply #218 on: March 05, 2010, 08:01:57 PM »
We really should try and stick to some kind of pre-auction etiquette in consideration of others. I have no interest in an Incredibles poster but someone out there does and, just in case, it adds to a fellow collectors total why don't we try and keep post-auction analysis about post-auctions?

Yes, I posted a link to a LIT poster in the last seconds of a bid war for giggles but that was the only time and it wasn't ideal. I know you all understand the benefits so what do you think?

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #219 on: March 05, 2010, 08:29:01 PM »
Carson, I think that it's not a dis-service to announce auctions myself.
just as someone may wish to keep it quiet, there are other people who want to know about the auctions. I don't see it as a breach of etiquette to out something that is going on publicly.

it's a competition.. let the best man win..

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Carson

« Reply #220 on: March 05, 2010, 09:01:46 PM »
I agree in part but let's wait and hear from collectors.

-It's something that can easily wait until the auction is over, there is no gain in asking the question today instead of next week. There is a gain if it saves a collector a buck.

-a stock photo works fine a link to a live auction isn't needed

-it's a better question for the authentication section than post-auction analysis

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #221 on: March 05, 2010, 09:06:52 PM »
I could see it going both ways.  If someone is interested in getting more information about a poster and that's more important than keeping it secret for bidding purposes, then I get posting it and boning-up on the info.  But, if someone outs the poster just to make sure the price is driven up so as to protect that person's own high-price investment, that's nasty.  But, practically speaking, I agree with Rich that there is no etiquette, and personally it doesn't put my nose out of whack.

I'll tell you, though, I have seen postings like this and I have gone out and won the poster from the person who posted it, so beware fuckers.... I'm out to get ya!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Carson

« Reply #222 on: March 05, 2010, 09:27:49 PM »
I agree in part as well, but I also know what it's like trying to buy posters in HS and college without having the income of someone in their 40s and 50s so tell me this..

What is the benefit in Mel, or anyone, receiving an answer now as opposed to this coming Thursday post auction? What's one substantive reason why it can't wait a week? Astound me, King Slut. Talking posters post-auction is more fun anyway. Why can it not wait in your view?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #223 on: March 05, 2010, 09:32:50 PM »
We really should try and stick to some kind of pre-auction etiquette in consideration of others. I have no interest in an Incredibles poster but someone out there does and, just in case, it adds to a fellow collectors total why don't we try and keep post-auction analysis about post-auctions?

Yes, I posted a link to a LIT poster in the last seconds of a bid war for giggles but that was the only time and it wasn't ideal. I know you all understand the benefits so what do you think?

Carson, you're definitely right in principle but (1) everybody on this board routinely cruises the Emovie listings, (2) there are already 6 bidders on this one and (3) at $22 it's no longer a bargain or "steal" by any means.  So I say just use your best judgment.   I just want to know if I was given correct information.

Carson

« Reply #224 on: March 05, 2010, 09:52:47 PM »
I agree, but I also know what it is to strain to buy a $22 poster and every little measure helps so I'd like to see more consideration whether every body here cruises Bruce's or not.  I can't count the times I've forgotten a poster I was going to bid on Bruce's. A live auction posts are a reminder.

What is the gain in asking today, Mel? What's the benefit of discussing any poster today instead of after auction? Why not wait a week as a courtesy to others, just in case, it's of help to them?