Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837677 times)

Charlie

Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #1650 on: November 06, 2011, 09:18:16 PM »
My father, who was arguably one of the world's most esteemed art dealers, said something very smart to me one day.  I think we were at the Met.  It went something like this: Art connects your heart to your brain.  You may feel for something, and not understand it, or you may find something interesting, but feel no connection to it.  What makes a piece complete to the viewer is when the heart and the brain converge to make one.  If a piece does one and not the other, don't try to force it, just keep walking until you find what speaks to you.  You will then have a chance to see the entire museum and not get tired or frustrated half way through.

Is this the famous family gallery?  http://www.artfinding.com/modules/video/index.php?id_video=173&id_categorie=2

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1651 on: November 06, 2011, 09:18:19 PM »
I passed on this poster tonight :(

A small auction house was auctioning it.  At Matt's suggestion, I drove inland yesterday for 45 minutes, missing important NCAA games, to check it out.  Apparently, the woman who was selling it paid $7k for it, which is ridiculous.  A close friend of mine is an expert in French posters (I got Laura and the '56 Et Dieu... Crea La Femme from him) told me he could find me one for 2k within a year or so.  But seeing how well Matt did with Star Wars, I was excited to get it for less (thinking maybe $1,000).  I was on the phone 30 minutes ago, I went up to my 2k limit and had to see it go...  Even in small auction houses in the middle of nowhere, people bid big.

Sigh.

T
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 09:23:31 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1652 on: November 06, 2011, 09:19:29 PM »
What was it T?  Not showing up...
Chris

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1653 on: November 06, 2011, 09:24:36 PM »
Sorry...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 09:25:01 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1654 on: November 06, 2011, 09:27:31 PM »
Original release?
Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1655 on: November 06, 2011, 09:31:19 PM »
 Even in small auction houses in the middle of nowhere, people bid big.

....and they say movie posters are dead. Sounds like all is well. Too well.

Charlie

« Reply #1656 on: November 06, 2011, 09:33:48 PM »
Probably a proxibid thing.  I remember one time I found a stash of Hitchcock poster out in po' dunk west Texas but they had an online website (proxibid or something) list them.  They still went for $1000s...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1657 on: November 06, 2011, 09:45:28 PM »
Original release?

Original Soubie release.  The movie was released in 39 in the US, but not until 1950 in France.  Then again in 54, when Soubie was asked to do 2 posters, this one and the one I already own...

T
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1658 on: November 06, 2011, 09:57:54 PM »
Is this the famous family gallery?  http://www.artfinding.com/modules/video/index.php?id_video=173&id_categorie=2

That's funny.  Where did you find this shit.  This guy is my dad's partner's grandson.  His father co-runs the gallery with my sister.  I don't know why he's talking... but whatever.  Good one.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1659 on: November 06, 2011, 10:03:46 PM »
I still don't know why people bid early. If every bidder refrained from bidding until the final seconds, with a mass snipe blitz, the final price might have reached $20

You have no idea how many times a day I ask myself this question...  Bruce's auctions, always the same braindeads bidding early, Heritage, Rich, same shit.  And then Ebay...  I keep watching, and watching, telling myself, don't you people know I'm going to get it?  STOP!!!  But they don't.  They never stop.

T
My Personal Collection

Charlie

« Reply #1660 on: November 06, 2011, 10:18:50 PM »
You have no idea how many times a day I ask myself this question...  Bruce's auctions, always the same braindeads bidding early, Heritage, Rich, same shit.  And then Ebay...  I keep watching, and watching, telling myself, don't you people know I'm going to get it?  STOP!!!  But they don't.  They never stop.

T

I have to counter here.  Sometimes I just bid the opening bid.  I have no emotions whether I get it or not.  But why waste 25 cents or the time to set up a snipe.  If I get it its a great deal.  Else, it will come around again...

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #1661 on: November 07, 2011, 08:15:15 AM »
I was following that Elm Street Quad last night and had planned a cheeky bid - I wasn't expecting £500! I've bought from the seller before and he seems a good egg, but private bidding always scares me a little...especially when one went about 6 weeks ago for around £145 (not in such good condition, but still rolled I think). Still, odd things can happen on a Sunday night.

There was also another rolled Elm Street Quad listed which was due to finish a day or two after that one, but it seems to have been pulled at around £82. Off auction sale perhaps...

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #1662 on: November 07, 2011, 08:46:28 AM »
I have found that on Rich's auctions that placing a serious bid 3-4 hours before close is about as successful as waiting for the 2 minute snipe window.  It also means that I am not tempted to bid above my logical limit for that poster.  Yep, lose some, but I lose em with 2 minutes left as well.

Bruce's auctions, not so much.  Got to bid near 5 min left or I get nothing.
-Jay-

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #1663 on: November 07, 2011, 12:52:40 PM »
Thierry.. if no one bid until the last minutes in any auction anywhere... you'd see alot less quality stuff being sold and maybe a lot less auctions as well.

an auction is a two-sided affair: buyer & seller. Early bidders give the seller an assurance that what they are selling will not sell for peanuts, while late bidders stand there ofering peanuts (well, sometimes :- ) )

as a dealer, I want all the early bidding I can get, as abuyer you're looking for the cheapest price possible.

Ebay cuts the clock off.. Bruce and I do not and while cuts the clock on Sundays, they don't on quartlerly auctions..

it's a real mix of reasoning on both sides of the business

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1664 on: November 07, 2011, 12:54:25 PM »
I might also mention, many many many items listed as auctions on fleaBay that do not get bids before the last day are ended early by the seller who isn't looking for a low price (I think they should leave it up) and/or sold as a BIN on the final day when the seller gets scared of a low price.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

guest8

« Reply #1665 on: November 07, 2011, 01:27:26 PM »
I think its all a matter of perception anyways .. early bidding is no different that last minute bidding .. If someone bids $500 with days left .. and the auction sits at $20 until the last 5 seconds .. when 4 snipers bid $400 $300 $25 $50 .. The original bidder will win it .. Now imagine all 5 wait until the last 5 seconds to bid and you have simultaneous bids with seconds left of $50 $25 $300 $400 and $500 .. The high bid will be the same .. Both auction will have sold to the highest bidder at $401 ..

Now even if the earlier bidder isnt the highest bidder .. The early bidder is now the $300 bid .. and you have snipers coming in at 50 25 400 and 500 .. the 500 guy will still win it ..

All early bidding does is it removes the illusion that we may be get something for dirt cheap .. I mean the high bidder will always win it if they bid at day one or with only seconds left ..  But if you were one of the people bidding $50 and $25 on a $500 poster you are day dreaming anyways .. Lots of early activity makes the auction house look good (but so does a last second bidding war)  .. and it helps reassure the seller that they did the right thing.

It all comes down to the fact that we all hope to get a great poster at a fraction of its "market value" and if the auction sits at $.99 the entire time our fantasy lives on until the high bidder stomps our ass at the last second. We dont get to live that fantasy out if there is a lot of early bidding on a poster. So .. as I said its all a matter of perception .. It will always end up selling to the one willing to pay the most no matter when you place your bids.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #1666 on: November 07, 2011, 01:48:12 PM »
The only problem with that analysis is that it gives people more time to decide they are actually willing to spend more.  It also calls attention to the item, especially in Bruce's listings where you can list the items descending in price.
-Jay-

guest8

« Reply #1667 on: November 07, 2011, 02:06:49 PM »
Well if something is getting enough early bidding that it comes up at the top of the list when you sort by bid amount .. Its probably safe to assume its a sought after piece and either way the prices will go higher.

If anything is possible .. Early bidding may dissuade some people from bidding .. But that is typically the people that were going to toss in a throw away bid of like $25 .. Which dont really add anything to the over all bidding of an item.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1668 on: November 07, 2011, 03:43:31 PM »
I was following that Elm Street Quad last night and had planned a cheeky bid - I wasn't expecting £500! I've bought from the seller before and he seems a good egg, but private bidding always scares me a little...especially when one went about 6 weeks ago for around £145 (not in such good condition, but still rolled I think). Still, odd things can happen on a Sunday night.

There was also another rolled Elm Street Quad listed which was due to finish a day or two after that one, but it seems to have been pulled at around £82. Off auction sale perhaps...

That was interesting to watch that Quad.

Your right in you fears about "Private" Auctions, I never bid my top bid on auctions of that kind. For example, if it's a £100 poster I will only go to £60/70, and if I don't win, at least I know I haven't been ripped off. I don't know why Ebay allows sellers to hide bidders names, it's bad enough with this two letters and 3 star thing...     I'm all for open and honest in Auctions, I'm sure Ebay knows sellers push their own prices up, but it's all money in Ebays pockets.

It's more than a Hobby...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1669 on: November 07, 2011, 07:42:56 PM »
Well, this one didn't last long.  A really good price for this poster.  

Back to the Future 2 Roads

If I didn't know that Jon wanted it so bad, I would have probably bought a second.  Hopefully, he's the one who got it.

T

Yes, very very cool. I pity the fool who doesn't like it:

DreamWarrior

« Reply #1670 on: November 09, 2011, 03:49:27 PM »
Can someone tell me why people are even attracted to this poster?  I never bought it because I always thought it was so ugly.

T
Wow! IMO it is easily one of the best horror posters ever and is a unicorn of mine. I don't know how anyone could see it as ugly. To each their own. The more people that find it to be ugly, the less competition I have when I get the dough for one.
 cheers
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 03:53:41 PM by DreamWarrior »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1671 on: November 09, 2011, 03:59:59 PM »
I honestly do.  I don't see anything remotely attractive about this poster.  But hey, I'm sure a lot of people think my French Horror of Dracula is ugly, or the Laura I just acquired.  I think someone even wondered if the hand above her head was picking out lice.  I'm quite okay with that.  To each his own.  My taste is mine, not to shared with anyone except my wife.  Take Strausfield's Taxi Driver.  Lots of people love it.  I think it is one of the ugliest posters ever.  Great.  My opinion, theirs, who cares.

T
My Personal Collection

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1672 on: November 13, 2011, 11:06:31 PM »
Pretty cool "day-glo" one sheet for "On Any Sunday" just sold for $475 at Heritage:

Repaired in Photoshop:

« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 11:07:37 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1673 on: November 15, 2011, 02:26:38 AM »
Pretty cool "day-glo" one sheet for "On Any Sunday" just sold for $475 at Heritage:

rare poster. I'm not surprised

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1674 on: November 15, 2011, 10:49:21 AM »
Did Hammersveld do that?  Reminds me of his Endless Summer design... and it was the same director as well.