Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837146 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #1575 on: October 29, 2011, 05:27:51 PM »
Well, I've seen it folded go for $500.  So I'd assume a rolled version would go higher than that, not less.  I know of at least 3 collectors, 4 with me, who don't look at his auctions because of the shipping fees.
T

now you know 5

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1576 on: October 29, 2011, 05:49:42 PM »
Shipping out of Canada is not cheap. In the end, if his shipping is high, its by something like $5 to $10.  Also, he does ship in pvc so there's extra weight.  Don't get me wrong, I think the shipping price is high, but I don't freak out over it like some do (Thierry).  I've gotten some amazing posters from Dan over they years which have not been duplicated since.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1577 on: October 29, 2011, 07:08:04 PM »
This sold for a really good price, yesterday.  Not in perfect condition, but rare enough to call it a steal.  

T

Yes, I stopped tracking that because I figured it would go much higher. The shipping price is no big deal but he needs to give more details on the condition of the poster.  That one appears to have several prominent scratches:

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1578 on: October 29, 2011, 07:24:05 PM »
Shipping out of Canada is not cheap. In the end, if his shipping is high, its by something like $5 to $10.  Also, he does ship in pvc so there's extra weight.  Don't get me wrong, I think the shipping price is high, but I don't freak out over it like some do (Thierry).  I've gotten some amazing posters from Dan over they years which have not been duplicated since.

if you buy 1 poster at $25 shipping, he's making $10 or more, even after buying a PVC tube
but it isn't just his shipping
no real descriptions in his auctions, stated 26-35 days shipping, and no return privileges
that's tough stuff to get passed before bidding

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1579 on: October 29, 2011, 08:10:15 PM »
This LB Plan 9 (gray style) didn't last long - went for Buy It Now at $1,800:

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1580 on: October 29, 2011, 08:22:48 PM »
Mel.. that poster lasted a little while at least.
I know of at least 2 listings in the last month that sold in less than 10 minutes after they got popped up

I also happen to know the lucky buyer

wynk

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1581 on: October 29, 2011, 08:32:12 PM »
It lasted a day or so because it was a good, but not stellar, deal:

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1582 on: October 29, 2011, 09:40:10 PM »
if you buy 1 poster at $25 shipping, he's making $10 or more, even after buying a PVC tube
but it isn't just his shipping
no real descriptions in his auctions, stated 26-35 days shipping, and no return privileges
that's tough stuff to get passed before bidding

Yeah, I get that.  For someone who hasn't dealt with him, it's a tough sell.  But for me having a great track record with him, it's no issue.  I don't think I've ever only bought one poster from one of his auctions.  So, the shipping's no big deal.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1583 on: October 29, 2011, 09:56:31 PM »
Holiday, I get it, you buy from him so you don't want to ruffle any feathers.  If it was anyone else, you'd agree with us.  I get it.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1584 on: October 29, 2011, 10:37:08 PM »
Holiday, I get it, you buy from him so you don't want to ruffle any feathers.  If it was anyone else, you'd agree with us.  I get it.

Well, dorko, that's not true.  I'll admit that Dan is eccentric, to say the least. But you know as well as anyone that I don't suck ass just because someone's got good posters.  Well.... not usually....

Anyway, I don't think Dan follows any of the forums, really.  Let's give it a test...

Hey Dan,  YOUR SHIPPING IS TOO FUCKING EXPENSIVE, AND YOU NEED BETTER DESCRIPTIONS ON YOUR WARES, YOU DUMB SONOFABITCH!

Boy, I'm screwed now!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1585 on: October 30, 2011, 12:44:20 AM »
Dan is on MoPo and there has been discussion in the past week
I found it interesting how the topic popped up here a day or so later, and not by the same source

Listen.. there is no question Dan has a good rep, and he has nice stuff. I've never spoken with him. The only reason I haven't bid on the few things I may have is because of the details I noted earlier and once I added $25, I was out financially. so the $25 is a make or break issue to some of us, depending of course on what we want.

if he had a Big Sleep half sheet up, I wouldn't complain about the $25, but I would take it into consideration.
But as I said on MoPo:
shipping costs should not be a revenue stream for the seller and I do think $25 is gouging. I ship lots of stuff North of the border out of the almost 2000 packages a year we ship and I definitely know how much it costs. $25 is generally out of line.

-------

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1586 on: October 30, 2011, 02:33:52 AM »
Hey Dan,  YOUR SHIPPING IS TOO FUCKING EXPENSIVE, AND YOU NEED BETTER DESCRIPTIONS ON YOUR WARES, YOU DUMB SONOFABITCH!

That's where you crossed the line.  I like Dan, Rich likes Dan, we're just complaining about shipping prices and description.  But you, Holiday, you're attacking the guy directly, calling him names... 

Tsss, tsss, tsss, not nice, HR.

nono

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1587 on: October 30, 2011, 10:26:40 AM »
Well, dorko, that's not true. 

"Dorko."
Love it.
We really should have a "Dorko" smiley.
Howzabout it, Steve?

Bruce

« Reply #1588 on: October 30, 2011, 04:13:44 PM »
It looks like this was a "consolation prize" for one of the bidders who missed out on WOTW

I wonder what it might have gone for in better condition?

Bruce

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1589 on: October 30, 2011, 04:23:22 PM »
It looks like this was a "consolation prize" for one of the bidders who missed out on WOTW

Bruce

twice as much

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1590 on: October 30, 2011, 06:00:34 PM »
On the lower end of the market, I didn't end up with any of the S2 art prints, although I chased the Phantom of the Opera (which is sold out at retail) up to $450.  A couple of the not-so-savvy bidders paid HIGHER than current retail.  Almost all of these prints are available for $325 directly from the S2 Art Group.  I missed out on the Dracula chasing after the Phantom....

« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 06:01:50 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #1591 on: October 30, 2011, 06:03:33 PM »

Bruce

we'll probably know when the buyer fixes it up and re-offers it in a couple of months.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1592 on: October 30, 2011, 06:06:41 PM »
Almost all of these prints are available for $325 directly from the S2 Art Group

anybody wants S2's, they're just a  couple miles down the road from me.
I'll be happy to do a pick up

-------

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1593 on: October 30, 2011, 07:24:46 PM »
That's where you crossed the line.  I like Dan, Rich likes Dan, we're just complaining about shipping prices and description.  But you, Holiday, you're attacking the guy directly, calling him names...  

Tsss, tsss, tsss, not nice, HR.

nono

T

There's a line?  But you know I was being facetious, right?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 07:47:08 PM by holiday »
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1594 on: October 30, 2011, 08:34:45 PM »
You wouldn't even know how to be facetious.  You are either black or white.  And this is very black, coming from the depth of Holiday's resentment and anger.  I feel you, brother, I feel you.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 08:35:09 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1595 on: October 31, 2011, 12:16:01 AM »
 moron1
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #1596 on: October 31, 2011, 01:12:42 AM »
What's the standard going rate on the One Million Years/She Quad currently?  I was eying the one that ended today but it went higher than the two previous ones that sold earlier this year in better condition (one of them was even linenbacked) so I stayed away.

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2354378
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 01:14:32 AM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1597 on: October 31, 2011, 02:38:29 AM »
that one was a little high.. $200-400 is the range

-------

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1598 on: October 31, 2011, 02:49:48 AM »
Don't get a linen backed one, there's plenty of rolled ones out there of this poster.

Pricewise, £50-80 for folded, up to £120 for rolled. Don't go any higher, as there are plenty out there and they do turn up regular...

It's a great poster, and should be worth more, but extras were printed at the time as give aways. Still originals, just more printed than normal.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #1599 on: October 31, 2011, 03:14:38 AM »
Don't get a linen backed one, there's plenty of rolled ones out there of this poster.

Pricewise, £50-80 for folded, up to £120 for rolled. Don't go any higher, as there are plenty out there and they do turn up regular...

It's a great poster, and should be worth more, but extras were printed at the time as give aways. Still originals, just more printed than normal.

I'm not anti-linenbacking (as most of you seem to be) so it really doesn't matter to me, only price matters.  I've heard about the extras being printed and how this particular poster is supposed to be attainable at a reasonable price, I've just yet to see one at a reasonable price.  I'd love to find one in the price range your quoting, but it seems they're all selling for 400+ (at least on emovie), I guess I just have to be patient and hope I can find one where two people aren't inflating the price.  Thanks for the info though, now I'll know what a reasonable price should be.