Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838143 times)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #1425 on: September 12, 2011, 12:30:29 AM »
Wow.  I really didn't think that it was commanding that kind of price.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1426 on: September 12, 2011, 03:22:29 AM »
Yeah, it's a cool poster that I'd love to own one day, but never at that price.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1427 on: September 12, 2011, 08:13:25 AM »
I'm not surprised:

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #1428 on: September 12, 2011, 06:12:50 PM »
I'm not surprised:

C'mon Mel, Bruce will tell you that might not even have been a real sale.
Who knows if Heritage has ever even sold a poster?  They might have all been purchased by NP Gresham...  blahblah

This copy did just sell less than a month ago on a Japanese auction site for ¥58,000, so I was wondering if it would surface on eBay afterwards.
It used to be a steady piece in the $400-500 range, but obviously looks like it has taken quite a jump in demand and price.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1429 on: September 12, 2011, 07:28:50 PM »
When asked recently, that's exactly what I pegged it at - $450.  Two sales over a $1000 is something, but I still don't think it's sustainable at that level.  I'd bet it can be found for a lot less with Thierry-patience.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #1430 on: September 12, 2011, 07:29:17 PM »
  One thing those two Barb auctions have in common is 2.  Two bidders in the HA auction and only two total bids on the ebay transaction. A bidding war between Holiday and Rattler does not a market make as Confucius would say.    

Brian
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1431 on: September 12, 2011, 08:52:07 PM »
You guys are nuts.  It's arguably the best design for Barbarella and it's probably extremely rare, which is why it comes up for auction so seldom. 

Putting $1,000 in it is 100 times smarter than putting $1000 into the Stout posters, which will be worth diddly in 10 years.  It's not going to collapse in price anytime soon. Three retailers have it for sale for:  £1400 ($2220), 1150 Euro ($1568), $2750, respectively.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1432 on: September 12, 2011, 09:45:02 PM »
You guys are nuts.  It's arguably the best design for Barbarella and it's probably extremely rare, which is why it comes up for auction so seldom. 

Putting $1,000 in it is 100 times smarter than putting $1000 into the Stout posters, which will be worth diddly in 10 years.  It's not going to collapse in price anytime soon. Three retailers have it for sale for:  £1400 ($2220), 1150 Euro ($1568), $2750, respectively.

Well, that's dramatic, Mel.  It's truly one of the best designs for the movie, and I don't doubt that it's uncommon.  But I really think that if you were patient, you'd find it for a fraction of the numbers that you're talking about. By all means, drop a grand on it if it makes you happy and you've gotta have it - trust me, I get that.  But just because a few dealers price it like that doesn't make it so.  Posteritati has some amazing prices, and I'm sure Sam sells some posters, but I would never say those are where the market's at.  It could be that the poster has topped a grand, but I'm so used to seeing it at $400 or so that I don't get it.  Of all people I would trust on this point, ask Armin.  I'd also say ask Erich, but he's raising his girl now so Armin's the one left with actual knowledge on these things.  If he says it's a grand, then I believe it.

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #1433 on: September 13, 2011, 12:26:57 AM »

If it's so rare why do three dealers have it available for sale right now?
I notice the Heritage copy was a post auction sale, so everyone in the collecting world passed on it at $1000 and finally someone pulled the trigger after the auction was over. 
I can also think of 100 things that are 100 times smarter than putting $1000 into Stout posters, but that doesn't mean any of the 100 will be worth $1000 in ten years. Just seems like a very strong price, but maybe there is a growing demand for this film.

Here's the a link to the auction last month where it sold for ¥50,100 (mistyped this afternoon sorry), and even that is the highest price I have seen it sell for in Japan (of course I've only been going to Japan for 16 years buying posters so that doesn't mean much). http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/150799441
www.Kaijuposters.com

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1434 on: September 13, 2011, 07:43:49 AM »
Here's the a link to the auction last month where it sold for ¥50,100 (mistyped this afternoon sorry), and even that is the highest price I have seen it sell for in Japan (of course I've only been going to Japan for 16 years buying posters so that doesn't mean much).

That's $650 even in Japan.  Due to the language gap and difficulty of using Yahoo Japan auctions, there's usually a big markup when Japanese posters sell in the US.  I've seen Black Swan B1s sell for $50 on Yahoo Japan auctions but sell for $500-$1000 here.  You could make a pretty good living buying the best posters directly from Japan and reselling them here.

Bruce

« Reply #1435 on: September 13, 2011, 08:29:13 AM »
"You could make a pretty good living buying the best posters directly from Japan and reselling them here"

I'm pretty certain there are several people doing this. I don't think they make enough to quit their day jobs, but there IS money to be made this way, just as you can scour eBay and buy the few steals that come along and then consign them to an auction that gets much more visibility.

Bruce.

Bruce

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #1436 on: September 13, 2011, 09:03:48 AM »
I don't think they make enough to quit their day jobs, but there IS money to be made this way, just as you can scour eBay and buy the few steals that come along and then consign them to an auction that gets much more visibility.

Bruce.

Bruce

That`s something I do. Scour ebay (or other sites) and resell. That`s how I pay for the posters I buy for my collection.
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1437 on: September 13, 2011, 10:44:18 AM »
But just because a few dealers price it like that doesn't make it so.

I've tried to explain that to Mel half a dozen times but I keep hitting a brick wall.  I give up.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #1438 on: September 13, 2011, 10:51:00 AM »
That's $650 even in Japan. 

Yep.  What's more amazing is that this time last year the same sales price would have only been equal to $550.
Who needs the price of posters to actually rise?  We just need the value of the dollar to keep falling to make our posters go up.
Maybe next year that record price of ¥50,100 will be equal to $2000 and everyone will wish they had purchased it (except T who still will have found one for the normal price of $500)
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1439 on: September 13, 2011, 11:00:14 AM »
You know what they say about love... You only find it when you don't look.  The same goes for posters.  You only find good deals by accident, not when a Japanese dealer advertizes on a poster forum and elsewhere.

T
My Personal Collection

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1440 on: September 13, 2011, 09:49:09 PM »
So the linen-backed Pulp Fiction Lucky Strikes goes for $1300 tonight at Emovie.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1441 on: September 13, 2011, 10:43:16 PM »
Here is a WTF... $266 for a US Ladykillers 1-sheet?!?  I bought this poster a year ago on eBay for like $10.  Maybe it was $15 w/shipping, but you get the idea!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 10:51:11 PM by Harry Caul »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #1442 on: September 13, 2011, 10:49:18 PM »
least its a great film, not the best POSTER for it, but great film. and always will be.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1443 on: September 13, 2011, 11:00:30 PM »
Is it my imagination, or are there a lot of people bidding a lot of money lately?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #1444 on: September 13, 2011, 11:02:50 PM »
not me, i dont even check. to scared until I start getting a pay cheque again.
An Error Has Occurred!

Charlie

« Reply #1445 on: September 14, 2011, 12:05:23 AM »
Is it my imagination, or are there a lot of people bidding a lot of money lately?

T

This idea of letting saps on emovie spend money on posters I can find for 1/10 is starting to look pretty good....

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1446 on: September 14, 2011, 12:12:32 AM »
not me, i dont even check. to scared until I start getting a pay cheque again.

Didn't you just start this awesome job at an auction house in Sydney, Mr. Big Bucks?
My Personal Collection

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #1447 on: September 14, 2011, 12:17:11 AM »
yeah but PAYDAY is not for a while.....
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #1448 on: September 14, 2011, 12:45:23 AM »
Yep.  What's more amazing is that this time last year the same sales price would have only been equal to $550.

My rent was 265,000 yen, which was equivalent to $2410 a month when I got there.  By the time I left, that same 265,000 yen was costing me $3397.  It is kind of like paying the same amount.  Actually, no, it was not like that all.  It was definitely time to go.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Bruce

« Reply #1449 on: September 14, 2011, 08:27:09 AM »
"Is it my imagination, or are there a lot of people bidding a lot of money lately?"

Yep! There were 243 buyers last night, and only 506 items, which together sold for $108,000+, well over my expectations. The most anyone got was 10 or 11 items, so the contest for winning the most is wide open.

Most people were only able to get one or two items, and no one spent more than the guy who got the Glass Key one-sheet (for five grand) so the spending was VERY spread out.

But there were still 92 items that sold for under $50, and many of those were under the cost of linenbacking alone.

Now on to Part II!

Bruce