Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837984 times)

Bruce

Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #175 on: February 20, 2010, 09:01:23 AM »
But the real question is, is this "worth" more than the Bueller?

Bruce

qip

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #176 on: February 20, 2010, 10:25:20 AM »
Notwithstanding its flaws, Ebay is still the best place to find "steals" because there is less competition per poster than on Emovie, Heritage, or MPBid and high value posters can "slip under the radar."  This Spiderman Twin Towers "Coming 2002" DS - and there are no known bootlegs of this version - just sold for $31.  It went for $150 & $262 last year on Emovie:

Bruce

« Reply #177 on: February 20, 2010, 12:38:29 PM »
"there is less competition per poster"

I totally agree. We have 6,750 registered bidders (compared to eBay's millions and Heritage's hundreds of thousands), but our bidders only have one ID each, and every one of them is a movie paper collector, and I don't think there is the slightest chance the other sites have nearly as many movie paper bidders as we do.

We will soon be purging our list of those who have not bid in a year, and that may well knock 1,000 or more off the roll. We have no interest in promoting an unrealistic number of bidders, any more than we are willing to have even a single result on our site where the price was not paid in full in cash by a real buyer.

Bruce

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #178 on: February 20, 2010, 02:02:49 PM »
This Spiderman Twin Towers "Coming 2002" DS - and there are no known bootlegs of this version [/url].

incorrect according to this website
http://movieposterauthenticating.com/wordpress/spider-man/spiderman-coming-2002-wtc/

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #179 on: February 20, 2010, 02:05:09 PM »
We will soon be purging our list of those who have not bid in a year, and that may well knock 1,000 or more off the roll.

why would you do that Bruce..? is there no possibility they will be back when they have money again, start collecting again, or get out of the hospital after coming out of a coma??

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #180 on: February 20, 2010, 03:47:41 PM »
why would you do that Bruce..? is there no possibility they will be back when they have money again, start collecting again, or get out of the hospital after coming out of a coma??

I also have to ask if this is the best course of action?  I would think it would be better to perhaps purge just those members that have not actually SIGNED IN with their user account as opposed to those who have not bid.  I am sure there are many members who look at the auctions regularly but do not bid for myriad reasons...
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #181 on: February 20, 2010, 04:43:10 PM »
I also have to ask if this is the best course of action?  I would think it would be better to perhaps purge just those members that have not actually SIGNED IN with their user account as opposed to those who have not bid.  I am sure there are many members who look at the auctions regularly but do not bid for myriad reasons...

not sure this is the best idea either. the best example is the winner of the Ferris Bueller poster in my auction. He registered in 2004 and never signed back in until the day he bid on the Ferris poster almost 6 years later which obviously means he was reading the weekly emails and checking the site for the day something he wanted actually came around.

I get other bidders who also haven't signed on since 2004-2006.

what better example can there be than the Ferris poster though??

-------

Bruce

« Reply #182 on: February 20, 2010, 04:47:24 PM »
I should have said "who have not logged in". That is what I meant. It is not that you have to buy anything, just that you still have an interest.

Dormant accounts can be big trouble. They are the ones most often hijacked, and if the person ever does log in, they simply get a message asking them to e-mail us so we can re-activate their account.

Bruce

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #183 on: February 20, 2010, 04:50:47 PM »
not sure this is the best idea either. the best example is the winner of the Ferris Bueller poster in my auction. He registered in 2004 and never signed back in until the day he bid on the Ferris poster almost 6 years later which obviously means he was reading the weekly emails and checking the site for the day something he wanted actually came around.

I get other bidders who also haven't signed on since 2004-2006.

what better example can there be than the Ferris poster though??

You do bring up a good point Rich.  But I do understand where Bruce is coming from as well (particularly after his last post).

Of course both of you are running businesses - and there has been a lot of discussion surrounding the misrepresentation of both actual active members/bidders on auction sites and on internet poster forums...
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #184 on: February 20, 2010, 05:19:32 PM »
I actually have no way of seeing who has been active the last 12 months or who has bid without winning (one more thing missing from the admin that I need changed). But of course I can say how many people have won an item since 2006 from my sales records. Concerning those who bid, but have not won - they still helped me make more money than if they had not bid
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 09:39:08 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #185 on: February 20, 2010, 06:47:07 PM »
Concerning those who bid, but have not won - they still helped me make more money than if they had not bid
Only if they are the second highest bidder! ;)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #186 on: February 24, 2010, 12:01:33 AM »
I don't see the appeal of the Russian Star Wars posters but some people do - these sold for $400/$500 tonight on Emovie:

I do really like this unusual Planet of the Apes B2 that went for $313:

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #187 on: February 24, 2010, 08:59:02 AM »
If only the Rebel Alliance had been able to convince space puma to fight at its side... it might have tipped the balance of power in their favor.  Who knows, maybe they could have stopped the destruction of Alderaan (sniffle).

linder1

« Reply #188 on: February 24, 2010, 10:38:44 AM »
Space Puma is by an artist named Igor Mastrovskiy and I have probably eight or ten more of his posters.  He definitely has/had a distinctive style, and I can say that the other posters are equally abstract to my eyes.

Rock Head is a whole other level of abstraction though (different artist obviously).  But I do like it, and it's very rare.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #189 on: February 24, 2010, 11:15:25 AM »
Space Puma is by an artist named Igor Mastrovskiy and I have probably eight or ten more of his posters.  He definitely has/had a distinctive style, and I can say that the other posters are equally abstract to my eyes.

Rock Head is a whole other level of abstraction though (different artist obviously).  But I do like it, and it's very rare.

Would you mind sharing some of the other posters?  Did Matrosvskiy also happen to do the poster for The Big Blue?  The medium (conte crayon?) seems very similar...

I was actually just messing around above... I'm generally a huge fan of easter-bloc posters.  I have several Polish and Czech posters on my wall.  I would love to be better versed in Russian posters as well.

Carson

« Reply #190 on: February 24, 2010, 12:47:22 PM »
Man, there was some great stuff moving last night! Nothing beats those wide sweeping international auctions.

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #191 on: February 24, 2010, 12:48:18 PM »
Did you snag anything Carson?
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

scartacus

« Reply #192 on: February 24, 2010, 01:56:57 PM »
Harry,

Is that an original Potemkin from the first release in Russia -- when was it anyway? 1920s? No matter what the date, it's gorgeous and a real slice of cinema history.   

• Post-aholic
« Reply #193 on: February 24, 2010, 02:13:29 PM »
no it's a late reissue.. I think it was 1960s

-------

Carson

« Reply #194 on: February 24, 2010, 02:28:16 PM »
Battleship Potekmin (Bronenosets Potyomkin): the movie 1925; the poster R63.

I'd agree entirely one of the best I've ever seen. There is a lot of art for that movie (Battleship Potekmin) out there but that piece is head and shoulders above it all. Peter's makes me sick.

The Midnight Cowboy is genius. Congratulations on that one.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #195 on: February 24, 2010, 03:13:18 PM »
Battleship Potekmin (Bronenosets Potyomkin): the movie 1925; the poster R63.

I'd agree entirely one of the best I've ever seen. There is a lot of art for that movie (Battleship Potekmin) out there but that piece is head and shoulders above it all. Peter's makes me sick.

Agreed... I never even saw that poster until I checked out Peter's collection.  I imagine it doubled in value amongst our small crowd when he did!  I was seriously considering bidding... that extra, awkward fold was the only thing holding me back!  I imagine I'll have pretty steep competition from here on out :)

The Midnight Cowboy is genius. Congratulations on that one.

Thanks, it'll be displayed with my other Czech "pop art" posters:

I know for a fact that Zdenek Ziegler designed both Midnight Cowboy and Alien (which is also made up of small dots)... however, even though Jaws is unsigned, I'd wager he did that one as well. 

• Post-aholic
« Reply #196 on: February 24, 2010, 06:48:52 PM »
I have a number of US or European posters for the vintage Russian greats. Most of them I have are 1930s posters. When I have a chance to get back to shooting my collection, I'll be sure to post them

re Potemkin
the original 1920s-30s posters for this film - from any country - are all universally great images. Like the 1930s US posters I have for Russian films, I think the Russians actually had a hand in producing the artwork for the various posters and probably did so contractually so that worldwide their promotion would have a continuous program.

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #197 on: February 24, 2010, 07:23:13 PM »

Thanks, it'll be displayed with my other Czech "pop art" posters:

Great stuff Harry!

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #198 on: February 24, 2010, 08:24:55 PM »
Yeah, I was one of the late underbidders on that Potemkin.  I was the opposite of Harry though, I just made a couple of large purchases so was unable to hang.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #199 on: February 25, 2010, 10:52:25 PM »
Great stuff tonight in Emovie's auction.  I'm not into vintage posters but these - Garbo ($1,500) and Fantasia ($835) - are sublime:

But the censor snipes ruined this fab Femmes poster ($55):

What a freaky Jesus/Beatles poster! ($130)