Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838227 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #1375 on: August 26, 2011, 10:11:49 PM »
But, I buy them because I love the movie and that my kids love the movie, not for value.

Amen!
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #1376 on: August 26, 2011, 10:51:03 PM »
I had a long talk with Ron Borst today, who told me that his collection has lost a lot of value in the last 3 years.  

entirely different dynamic

In Ron's case, the collection had reached (by values) an artificial high due to the presence of one buyer who at the top of the financial spectrum was able to move the market for a period of time. Now this person is absent and the prices have fallen back to natural levels. His posters in 2011 are worth less than they were in 2007 (theoretically, seeing as nothing has cash value except at the moment it being sold), however, they are worth more than they were in 2001

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #1377 on: August 26, 2011, 10:54:53 PM »
Well of course price history matters.  

price history does matter as long as it is measured in conjunction with spatial analysis and historical graph.

Why else would Heritage and Emovie maintain price archives? 

they do it because it promotes people to bid to that level or surpass it, or to give one the emotional feeling that "I got it for a bargain" when the price paid is lower than previous sales.

Otherwise a great many items would sell for less than they do, and they would achieve diminished profits.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Bruce

« Reply #1378 on: August 26, 2011, 11:04:12 PM »
"Now this person is absent and the prices have fallen back to natural levels"

I don't know about that. I see a sea of sellers of super-expensive posters ($25,000+) and few buyers. Almost every one of these that comes up for auction in the past couple of years goes for less than the last time (the ones that don't pass), and there doesn't seem to be any sort of "leveling off" that I can see.

The market for top quality $500 to $2500 posters is super-strong, so it is not like the problem is that there are no buyers. The problem is that a lot of posters somehow got moved up to skyhigh levels that had little support to begin with, and next-to-zero support now. Most of them were bought by a single bidder who bid against a reserve, or who bid against a mysterious underbidder who vanishes whenever that top bidder is not present.

Maybe "natural levels" of super-expensive posters are at current prices, but maybe they are at one-half (or less) of current prices. Time will tell.

Bruce

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1379 on: August 26, 2011, 11:06:28 PM »
It's a worthy acquisition, Mel, and of all people, you don't have to justify the price paid to me!  I'd have done the same for a poster that hit me between the eyes.

The contrast between the international and Canadian is very dramatic. I didn't realize until now the international is at dusk and the Canadian is at night.  And of course Basinger's outfit is very different. The Canadian emphasizes beauty while the international exudes sex appeal.

Also, the quality of the movie itself enhances its value. In retrospect, LA Confidential probably should have won the Oscar in 1997, just like Hurt Locker beat Avatar.  LA Confidential has retained its reputation while "Titanic fever" has faded.

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #1380 on: August 26, 2011, 11:11:30 PM »
they do it because it promotes people to bid to that level or surpass it, or to give one the emotional feeling that "I got it for a bargain" when the price paid is lower than previous sales.

Otherwise a great many items would sell for less than they do, and they would achieve diminished profits.

Nice to hear this. I am usually surprised when looking up the historic prices of an item as that then makes me bid higher than I would have otherwise.

We know Bruce has indicated he will charge for access to the price database, however this seems to be forever stalled... I guess there is a balancing act as to which option provides the highest return - have less people view past results and bid lower vs income in from access to the database. I guess it will happen when Bruce is sure that the database has no other real competition, when the database is even more populated.

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #1381 on: August 26, 2011, 11:23:23 PM »
 This said, there are plenty of posters I need to complete a collection that I would spend a lot of money on, and I could very well be the only one.  Which does not mean the posters are worth that much, they are just worth that much to me.

T

We all have some of those must have posters.
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1382 on: August 29, 2011, 07:23:35 PM »
We're not talking about houses, or banks, or fine art here.  We're talking about mass reproduced paper that should essentially be free.  It is made to advertize, not to sell.  It doesn't have a price.  The only price it has comes from who wants it at a given time.

Well said.  thumbup

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #1383 on: August 29, 2011, 07:27:31 PM »
IMO , posters are just as important as Rembrandts , Picassos etc  bed1

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #1384 on: September 02, 2011, 11:20:42 AM »
what the fuck happend here...?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120767842697?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&autorefresh=true&autorefresh=true#ht_500wt_1156

russia park circus quad 1K....i thought my £177 bid was a shoe in....
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 11:21:33 AM by AmovieMasterpiece »

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #1385 on: September 02, 2011, 11:28:29 AM »
Looks like two collectors really wanted it.

£177 would never have got it anyway, Jonny.
I just noticed it an hour ago & reckoned around £500-900 considering you can't get hold of the buggers.

I was near enough right.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #1386 on: September 02, 2011, 11:30:08 AM »

I just noticed it an hour ago & reckoned around £500-900 considering you can't get hold of the buggers.

if this is the case someone on this forum is a complete piss taker.

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #1387 on: September 02, 2011, 11:31:35 AM »
What do you mean by that?
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #1388 on: September 02, 2011, 11:32:53 AM »
it dont matter, but they know who they are..

rainman

« Reply #1389 on: September 02, 2011, 11:36:11 AM »
I didn't see a bid of £1,010.00 being made.  But in a decade I wonder how valuable the poster will be?  I think the new owner will get his money back and then some.

I know that mel has got a goldfinger reissue quad in his gallery.  Now that's one poster that I like very much and hope to get an original or reissue of in my lifetime if I ever get a well paid job....a very well paid job.

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #1390 on: September 02, 2011, 11:37:39 AM »
it dont matter, but they know who they are..

Actually, it does matter.
You can't just go around calling members piss-takers, mate.
You're referring to someone, so I think you should say who you think it is.

I didn't see a bid of £1,010.00 being made.  But in a decade I wonder how valuable the poster will be?  I think the new owner will get his money back and then some.

I know that mel has got a goldfinger reissue quad in his gallery.  Now that's one poster that I like very much and hope to get an original or reissue of in my lifetime if I ever get a well paid job....a very well paid job.

Mel, I think, doesn't have the Park Circus issue.
I could be wrong mind, so apologies if I am.

I don't think you should look forward a decade - I reckon 2013 could be a good year, being the 50th Anniversary of FRWL!
But then again, I think come the 50th Anniversary prices may hit a high, go down after a few years, then spike again on the 75th Anniversary.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 11:42:56 AM by bondposters.com »
Best wishes,
Adam

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #1391 on: September 02, 2011, 11:37:50 AM »
I was watching that too (with no intention of bidding) - was expecting a couple of hundred £, no idea it was worth that much! I'd have sneakily pinched a few out of frames from outside cinemas if I'd known that! :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 11:38:50 AM by Tob »

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #1392 on: September 02, 2011, 11:39:14 AM »
Actually, it does matter.
You can't just go around calling members piss-takers, mate.
You're referring to someone, so I think you should say who you think it is.

go away, what goes on between me and someone else is none of your business.

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #1393 on: September 02, 2011, 11:43:56 AM »

:o
Are you OK, Jonny?
Seriously ... Chill out.

I was watching that too (with no intention of bidding) - was expecting a couple of hundred £, no idea it was worth that much! I'd have sneakily pinched a few out of frames from outside cinemas if I'd known that! :)

To backtrack a little on what I may have indirectly agreed to, I doubt if another came onto the market it would make this type of money on eBay again.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 11:48:01 AM by bondposters.com »
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #1394 on: September 02, 2011, 11:50:25 AM »
:o
Are you OK, Jonny?
Seriously ... Chill out.

To backtrack a little on what I may have indirectly agreed to, I doubt if another came onto the market it would make this type of money on eBay again.

im just saying i dont like to air things in public, if they want to its up to them, or they can drop me a pm and tell me to fuck off.. either way i agree, we will see a few of these hit ebay now.. and none will make within £300 of that price
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 11:50:56 AM by AmovieMasterpiece »

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #1395 on: September 02, 2011, 11:56:40 AM »

im just saying i dont like to air things in public, if they want to its up to them, or they can drop me a pm and tell me to fuck off.. either way i agree, we will see a few of these hit ebay now.. and none will make within £300 of that price

No prob, didn't mean to sound like I was digging at you if you thought I was.

If that's the case (more will hit eBay and sell within £300.00) I'll have them all please lol.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #1396 on: September 02, 2011, 11:58:40 AM »
ok. if the next 1 on ebay does not sell for more than £710 you buy me a big mac meal with coke No Ice.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1397 on: September 02, 2011, 01:38:21 PM »

It becomes our business when you haul it out in a public setting like this. If it's between you and someone else, keep it between you and someone else and don't post a comment like that.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1398 on: September 02, 2011, 01:43:39 PM »
Sorry, that sounds harsh and it's not what I intended.  If something's personal, don't mention it at all, even if you don't name the name of the person.  It's a little irksome to reference something like what you did, and then get upset when someone asks what happened to prompt what you had just written about. 
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #1399 on: September 02, 2011, 02:00:21 PM »
back to the topic, I reckon £1010 is pure mental for a poster that came out last.

I bet somewhere there is a stack of these

you can pick up the original with a little patience for not much more (well may be a bit)

I think who ever bought this will lose money, look at the rerelease one sheets
Paul