Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837571 times)

agentprovocateur

Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #1325 on: August 24, 2011, 02:15:21 PM »
Me too... pcorn

raulleaf

« Reply #1326 on: August 24, 2011, 11:58:06 PM »
Damnit, Damnit, Damnit!!! I told myself to place a med level bid on the Chinese Pearl Harbor before leaving for the gym (I said it once when I left work and once before I got home) I forgot; I sold for just $2.  Anybody else got one for sell?  Can you snipe Rich's auctions?

http://www.movieposterbid.com/itemdetl.asp?id=81357
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 11:58:55 PM by raulleaf »

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1327 on: August 25, 2011, 12:11:02 AM »
Damnit, Damnit, Damnit!!! I told myself to place a med level bid on the Chinese Pearl Harbor before leaving for the gym (I said it once when I left work and once before I got home) I forgot; I sold for just $2.  Anybody else got one for sell?  Can you snipe Rich's auctions?

http://www.movieposterbid.com/itemdetl.asp?id=81357

Boy has that happened to me before, and it sucks.  I feel your pain.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #1328 on: August 25, 2011, 12:14:42 AM »
hey, you folks all are focused on the Monsters Inc poster.. here's one this week that is easily just as scarce

HARRY POTTER and the SORCERER'S STONE 2001 DS International 1sh .. RARE
http://www.movieposterbid.com/itemdetl.asp?id=81486

Wow, almost $300! And to the same guy ("rattler") who won my Monsters, Inc poster. Who is this high-roller? Do we know him?

Also, now that the auction is over:

That's what you get, Rattler!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 12:15:01 AM by Disheveledamethyst »

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #1329 on: August 25, 2011, 07:48:46 AM »
I have one of those Harry Potter posters.
Not even interested in Harry Potter ... in the slightest!
And thank the Holy Lord my girlfriend isn't either!

It's FOR SALE lol!
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #1330 on: August 25, 2011, 09:23:34 AM »
Wow, almost $300! And to the same guy ("rattler") who won my Monsters, Inc poster. Who is this high-roller? Do we know him?

Glad I lost last night....now just share the $25 source   ;D

Brian
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 09:32:06 AM by ATLfun »
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #1331 on: August 25, 2011, 09:41:58 AM »
Somebody got a good deal here last Sunday:
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2273816

I paid twice that a couple weeks ago just for the Cotton Club Intl.
-Jay-

guest8

« Reply #1332 on: August 25, 2011, 09:44:20 AM »
  Glad I lost last night....now just share the $25 source   ;D

Brian

It was available at www.cinema-city.com ... but now its magically gone :-o

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #1333 on: August 25, 2011, 10:25:46 AM »
It was available at www.cinema-city.com ... but now its magically gone :-o

That's where it was. I wonder who jumped on it?

agentprovocateur

« Reply #1334 on: August 25, 2011, 10:40:10 AM »
T'wasn't me, but I'd have been all over it if I'd known... ignore my pm Anthony ;D

Online ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #1335 on: August 25, 2011, 10:49:27 AM »
I missed the Henry to one of the damn Canadian poster terrorists!  ;) Rich, I will match Bob's bid if you have another.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1336 on: August 25, 2011, 09:41:45 PM »
The question is whether it's double sided.  There are a lot of posters that rare at all when single sided, but are super rare when double sided.  One other that comes to mind is the Bridget Fonda version of Jackie Brown.  All over the place single sided, but rarely does it come up double sided. 

I hazard a guess on the $25 HP that:  a) it's single sided; and b) it's a repro.  Even single sided the poster is worth more than $25.

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1337 on: August 25, 2011, 09:44:54 PM »
Yeah, I just had a look and the one that's listed at cinema city is single sided.  I'd have bought it for $25 if it was double sided!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1338 on: August 25, 2011, 10:09:14 PM »
Yeah, I just had a look and the one that's listed at cinema city is single sided.  I'd have bought it for $25 if it was double sided!

But you can only see one side at a time!  eyeroll
Chris

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #1339 on: August 25, 2011, 10:15:42 PM »
I missed the Henry to one of the damn Canadian poster terrorists!  ;) Rich, I will match Bob's bid if you have another.

I wish I did have another. I was thinking of keeping it for myself. if it was nicer condition I would have kept it. That poster is supremely rare

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1340 on: August 25, 2011, 10:17:49 PM »
The question is whether it's double sided.  There are a lot of posters that rare at all when single sided, but are super rare when double sided.  One other that comes to mind is the Bridget Fonda version of Jackie Brown.  All over the place single sided, but rarely does it come up double sided. 

I hazard a guess on the $25 HP that:  a) it's single sided; and b) it's a repro.  Even single sided the poster is worth more than $25.

I'm the source of the Jackie Browns for the most part. We had tons of SS, but no DS posters
I'd say the supply on SS vs DS on that title is well over 100-1

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1341 on: August 25, 2011, 10:24:39 PM »
I'm the source of the Jackie Browns for the most part. We had tons of SS, but no DS posters
I'd say the supply on SS vs DS on that title is well over 100-1

Yeah, I gotta admit that seeing some of these as double sided posters gets me sprung.  For me, it's the ability of being able to display them in a lightbox just like in the theaters.  It's where I started my collecting.  It's what I love about collecting first and foremost.  As rare as Bridget is, I displayed her in the lightbox for at time.  Same for Shashank.  Same for Unforgiven.  You just can't do that with a single sided poster.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #1342 on: August 26, 2011, 07:21:49 AM »

Is this poster really worth a lot, Holiday?
I'm not being naive here, I'm just genuinely not interested in HP at all - can't stand it.
Best wishes,
Adam

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #1343 on: August 26, 2011, 09:02:04 AM »
Is this poster really worth a lot, Holiday?

I've been wanting to talk about this for a while, actually.

In ten years, I wouldn't be shocked if Harry Potter posters are some of the most valuable on the market. Whether you like Harry Potter or not, it's a worldwide record-crushing phenomenon delivered to its enormous fanbase ingeniously. The staggered release of books and films meant every chapter of the franchise was a multimedia experience that spanned a decade, so the bulk of its fans literally grew up with HP as an annual event.

1st Edition sets of the books are already worth a thousand dollars, several thousand in the case of the UK prints. The sensation of today is the memorabilia of tomorrow, and the way this series has reached and affected people is unlike anything I've ever seen. The sheer immensity and quality of the entire Harry Potter project has guaranteed it a place in the history of both film and literature and studios and publishers have been attempting to replicate its success for as long as it's existed.

I don't like HP much either. I only read one book and, while I enjoyed the films,I  prefer to pick them apart as generally poor adaptations (the third of which is  superb and the rest of which are weak). But pretending its impact on people, pop-culture, literature and film has been anything short of incredible is, like you said, naive.

Granted they were both to the same user, but I think it's worth noticing that two posters from 2001 both sold for $300. People collect what they grew up with, and the digital children are growing up. I mean, just look at me! I'm no expert, but I say stock up.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 09:02:36 AM by Disheveledamethyst »

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #1344 on: August 26, 2011, 10:55:41 AM »
Quite a good reply, Anthony.
I suppose I have something that is considered rare; something I may well keep for a few years rather than selling soon.

One of those collections I bought years ago seems worth it now lol.
Best wishes,
Adam

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1345 on: August 26, 2011, 01:52:26 PM »
Harry Potter to this generation could be like Star Wars to the previous generation

-------

longdog

« Reply #1346 on: August 26, 2011, 02:09:28 PM »
Harry Potter to this generation could be like Star Wars to the previous generation

With the added benefit of there being a higher proportion of female HP to Star Wars fans making it a potentially more collectable title.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1349 on: August 26, 2011, 03:34:24 PM »
Did Mel get it (finally)?

Same thought that popped into my head when I saw harry's post.

Well Mel?