Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837851 times)

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #150 on: February 16, 2010, 10:39:44 PM »
Because this is my first post here, I would like to say thank you to the members of the forum for allowing me to be a member, and secondly thank you all for your time in making this a great forum.  I would also like to thank Bruce and Dave for being great people to deal with, and hooking me up with some incredible posters.  Sorry I do not have any kind words for any of the other dealers from whom I have not yet purchased posters, adding to that, forums such as this have given me confidence that there are reputable dealers in this business.

“Showing some love to ‘Smurfs in Space’”, that was a good one, Dread Pirate Mel.  But Smurfette has nothing on Neytiri in Avatar, in my humble opinion, of course.  This is the second time I have seen you comment in a forum, about a poster I purchased.  I know it is just a comment about the price of the poster and it has nothing to do with me, personally, and judging by your comments regarding sales prices of other posters, you seem to be very knowledgeable about the current prices (some might say “values”) of many posters, and I appreciate your insight.

I also appreciate some members’ wise words added to this part of the thread.  On the other side of the coin, regarding the bashing it has received, I am used to it in the real world, so it is nothing new for me.

I purchased the Avatar lenticular from emovieposter two weeks ago.  Now the people who made snide remarks about the purchase can yell “he’s the guy who bought the Avatar lenticular from emovieposter, tee hee, everyone point and laugh”.  Seriously though, it is amazing how there are so many psychics on this forum who can predict what a poster will be worth in the future. 

The posters that are in my collection are there because I have personal reasons for purchasing them, the same as everyone else, and I have reasons for paying extra to buy them from reputable dealers.  I think Ari summed it up nicely, saying “Buy what you like, and can afford, then you can't lose”.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #151 on: February 16, 2010, 10:56:34 PM »
Thanks for posting that NeoLoco.

I am probably one of the people you are referring to about 'snide' remarks.

As I have said, "to each their own".  I was in no way attacking you personally (well the buyer before I knew it was you).

It it just my opinion that is all.  I do not generally collect more modern posters but I have nothing against those who do - I am not a vintage poster elitist so to speak - they are just what appeals to me.

My comments were basically based upon my experiences in seeing the prices of posters (and collectables in general) for the newest, most popular "in thing" drop over time - there is just huge demand initially.  For me, I could not fathom spending that amount of money on an Avatar poster of any variety - but that is just me.  Obviously you and others disagree with me and that is fine.  

Also, what Ari says is very true and the best way to go about collecting anything.

So...congratulations on the Avatar lenticular...I honestly hope you trully love it and will enjoy having it for some time!
Chris

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #152 on: February 16, 2010, 11:00:39 PM »
Because this is my first post here, I would like to say thank you to the members of the forum for allowing me to be a member, and secondly thank you all for your time in making this a great forum.  I would also like to thank Bruce and Dave for being great people to deal with, and hooking me up with some incredible posters.  Sorry I do not have any kind words for any of the other dealers from whom I have not yet purchased posters, adding to that, forums such as this have given me confidence that there are reputable dealers in this business.

“Showing some love to ‘Smurfs in Space’”, that was a good one, Dread Pirate Mel.  But Smurfette has nothing on Neytiri in Avatar, in my humble opinion, of course.  This is the second time I have seen you comment in a forum, about a poster I purchased.  I know it is just a comment about the price of the poster and it has nothing to do with me, personally, and judging by your comments regarding sales prices of other posters, you seem to be very knowledgeable about the current prices (some might say “values”) of many posters, and I appreciate your insight.

I also appreciate some members’ wise words added to this part of the thread.  On the other side of the coin, regarding the bashing it has received, I am used to it in the real world, so it is nothing new for me.

I purchased the Avatar lenticular from emovieposter two weeks ago.  Now the people who made snide remarks about the purchase can yell “he’s the guy who bought the Avatar lenticular from emovieposter, tee hee, everyone point and laugh”.  Seriously though, it is amazing how there are so many psychics on this forum who can predict what a poster will be worth in the future.  

The posters that are in my collection are there because I have personal reasons for purchasing them, the same as everyone else, and I have reasons for paying extra to buy them from reputable dealers.  I think Ari summed it up nicely, saying “Buy what you like, and can afford, then you can't lose”.

You've hit the nail on the head, exactly as Ari said.  If it makes you feel better, I paid $1000 for my Spiderman 3 lenticular at the hight of the craze.  I'd be lucky to get half that now, and damned lucky at that.

People gasped around here at the price "someone" paid for Bruce's Avatar lenticular, but that was because we didn't know who it was.  I'm very impressed that knowing the stuff that was being said, you came out and told us it was you.  Very very respectable. Frankly, I feel that the ONLY piece of movie memorabilia that is worth anything for Avatar is that lenticular.  I'm happy to have gotten mine off ebay at a BIN for $299 ( I think).  It's the #1 grossing movie in history- owning the lenticular for that one is not too shabby, and it's not like you paid $1000 for yours!  

So, welcome to the forum.  As one of the owners, I'm really really happy to see new blood like you come around to us "organically" rather than having been mangled elsewhere like some of us.  I really hope that you keep us up to date with your new purchases, and that you jump in and become one of the many great participants here.  
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #153 on: February 16, 2010, 11:02:55 PM »
“Showing some love to ‘Smurfs in Space’”, that was a good one, Dread Pirate Mel.  Now the people who made snide remarks about the purchase can yell “he’s the guy who bought the Avatar lenticular from emovieposter, tee hee, everyone point and laugh”.  

Dude, I was just joking about that.   I have the regular Avatar poster hanging in my office right now just because I like the poster. (I haven't seen the movie and will probably like it if I ever motivate myself to actually see a movie!)

I was just hoping to rile up Thierry actually with the "Smurfs in Space" label.  He and Wonka got into a big argument about the merits of Avatar a while back on this board.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #154 on: February 16, 2010, 11:21:19 PM »
Anybody else get anything from Bruce's Japanese B2 auction tonight?  I picked up 9 - the Umbrellas of Cherbourg is the best of the bunch:

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #155 on: February 17, 2010, 08:58:04 PM »
Wow, I was expecting a good old fashioned forum fight, with capital letters and all  :o.  The words of wisdom were a pleasant surprise.  Maybe you guys are not adult versions of schoolyard bullies after all.  Sounds like you guys aren't afraid to be stand up people, which says a lot about your characters, and I probably just slightly misinterpreted some of the comments.

Dread Pirate, I know you were just joking about the "Smurfs in Space" and I knew that was a funny.  I would highly recommend seeing Avatar.  It was absolutely awesome in 3D.

I scored this Deathproof poster from emovieposter's B2 auction.  Even though it is a dvd poster, it's the best artwork I have seen for it, in my humble opinion.  Gotta love the reflection in the glasses, and the lapdance scene in that movie was epic.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #156 on: February 17, 2010, 09:13:21 PM »
NeoLoco.. welcome to the hobby.

Rich

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #157 on: February 17, 2010, 10:46:58 PM »
No offense, but I thought this thread was for particularly surprising results (which the Avatar lenticular fits)... not "hey, so which B2s did you guys score?"

Now, for a true WTF moment... 2 Twilight signed posters for $900.  Hey, at least they got free shipping :)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #158 on: February 17, 2010, 10:50:02 PM »
Wonder how a 14 year old girl is gonna pay for those? 

Then again maybe it's a 37 year old fanboy...creepy
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #159 on: February 17, 2010, 10:58:58 PM »
Maybe Mel and NeoLoco are going in together on them?  There were, count them, 2 posters in that auction you know!  Sorry, couldn't resist.

Seriously though, the last thing that seller completed an auction on that wasn't private was an unlocked 2GB iPhone.  Its a good thing the seller provided:

Two letters of Authentication, including a forensic analysis of autographs with notary and a notarized letter from myself.

Otherwise I might be worried if I was the buyer  :o

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #160 on: February 17, 2010, 11:13:17 PM »
damn, if there is a legit buyer, poor sucker. Ill give 50 free posters to anyone who finds a forensic scientist who can would authenticate a signature. its like asking geologist for information on hair growth.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #161 on: February 18, 2010, 10:10:05 PM »
Showing some love to the Mad Hatter.  An Alice in Wonderland lenticular sold for $577.94 on ebay today.

Carson

« Reply #162 on: February 18, 2010, 10:22:14 PM »
Showing some love to the Mad Hatter.  An Alice in Wonderland lenticular sold for $577.94 on ebay today.

3... 2... 1... and cue the experts:
"OMG that's so overpriced, OMG, what's he smoking, HAHA, I can buy 500 vintage posters with that! Ridiculous OMG over priced OMG!"  sm1

edit: the above is a joke, ie, sarcasm.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 12:50:21 AM by Carson »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #163 on: February 18, 2010, 10:44:23 PM »
3... 2... 1... and cue the experts:
"OMG that's so overpriced, OMG, what's he smoking, HAHA, I can buy 500 vintage posters with that! Ridiculous OMG over priced OMG!"  sm1

Carson don't see why you need to be an 'expert' to be able to offer such a valid and concise opinion ;)
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #164 on: February 18, 2010, 10:49:36 PM »
I assume thats sarcasm (?),
but Ill step in, YES its overpriced, Dont know what he is smoking or if you mean the buyer or the seller, yes you could buy 500 posters for that amount, OMG, well Im not a teenage girl so I dont usually talk like that.
I have NOTHING against people paying whatever they want for whatever it is. What I don't like is that a lot of people think OH ITS EXPENSIVE IT MUST BE VALUABLE AND A GOOD INVESTMENT
I get it daily at work, ID LIKE TO INVEST IN THIS COIN.....

If you like the product WHATEVER IT IS, and happy to pay the price, go for it.

so, personally id NEVER pay $500+ for any new release poster, if its worth that much to whome ever bought it, Id say good on ya, (but be thinking IVE GOT THE BROOKLYN BRIDGE FOR SALE)
An Error Has Occurred!

Carson

« Reply #165 on: February 18, 2010, 11:09:13 PM »
It was sarcasm, for anyone who didn't get it.

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #166 on: February 18, 2010, 11:19:13 PM »
But you realise that if that is sarcastic, you are meaning the opposite of what you say (?)

so

"OMG that's so overpriced, (means its not really over priced)
etc.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #167 on: February 18, 2010, 11:30:21 PM »
It was sarcasm, for anyone who didn't get it.

I didn't get the poster, wasn't me, but I am an expert, as Carson says, a waste of money, worth only 20cents.

Does anyone know what anyone is talking about???

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #168 on: February 18, 2010, 11:53:44 PM »
Buy what you think its worth and that you can afford, posters aint oil or rice or whatever that we need, they are luxuries that we might want. Most people in the world DON't want. People who come along and say HEY I JUST BOUGHT POSTER XYZ for $ABC whats it worth? pisses me off. its worth what you paid for it, AND its worth what you get when you sell it.
Buy what you like (if your a collector) buy what you know you can make a profit (if your a dealer) kinda simple.
An Error Has Occurred!

Carson

« Reply #169 on: February 19, 2010, 12:46:44 AM »
My goof post was an imitation, nothing to do with the price, rather comment on predictability of collector spaz-like excitement/inner-glee in pointing to over priced items when they sell. It's always cracked me up, thus, my imitation "OMG over priced!".

Those few elite "poster seals", special paper ops, and arm-chair experts with an eternal boner for pointing to over priced collectibles (of all types) without acknowledgment and/or understanding that people routinely pay all kinds of prices for an infinite number of reasons in accordance with their own priorities and degree of desire whether priced high, priced near value, or priced low. Not in accordance with three poster forum knobs like myself who have the time and specialized interest to shop for great deals.

The Mad Hatter and Avatar are over priced in my personal view, I just meant to express that anyone with even the mildest understanding of collectibles it's an understood that it may be worth three times that to another collector. Some collector's still don't get that, not anyone special, just in general.

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #170 on: February 19, 2010, 12:50:04 AM »
Thats cool, didn't "get" the sarcasm,  my daughter says OMG all day so I kinda am used to it AS SERIOUS.
regardless, it is what it is, people pay what they pay, id love people to come and pay me that much for just about anything I have
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #171 on: February 19, 2010, 01:11:09 AM »
also, the trouble is, when they want to sell, pay $X for avatar now, store it in a humidity controlled environment, 10 years they will think they have a fortune sitting there. And I cant predict but i'd guess, youd lose quite a few buck when you go to resell.
So again, buy what you LIKE, and can AFFORD, as with all collectables, Investment quality aint cheap, furniture or paintings or whatever, unless you luck out.

I work in rare Coin industry and people come in daily, with what they think are rare coins, but arent, they want to retuire and the $ we can offer they go backwards. Collecting is different now because SO MANY people do it, so for something to be "rare" its something that nopbody collected at the time, but it somehow survived and was bought to the market.

Avatar poster, I am sure its a great movie, awsome poster, but Ill also be sure in 20 years nearly every one thats owned now by collectors will still be in close to mint state and sell for less than now.

my 2 cents
An Error Has Occurred!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #172 on: February 19, 2010, 10:25:15 AM »
Anybody know what exactly is going on with these lenticulars?  Is the studio really strictly controlling them, i.e. requiring them to be returned or destroyed and actually enforcing those rules? 

If they are being strictly controlled and therefore only a very few will ever be available to the public AND the movie is a hit, that poster might very well be worth $500.

Carson

« Reply #173 on: February 20, 2010, 02:55:36 AM »
NeoLoco, looks like you got yours half price: seen here. One day "value is what someone is willing to pay" will make sense to everyone not just 90% of us. I, personally, would spend no more than $400 on this piece and I would like one. But, for this buyer, based on his unique priorities and degree of interest it was worth $1000 tonight.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #174 on: February 20, 2010, 08:38:02 AM »
I wouldnt pay it, but it is no doubt the king of all ad materials for the top grossing movie of all time.  And, though it will probably lose some value, it will hold value better than almost any other material for the film (assuming concept art doesnt surface in the future).
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery