Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2836885 times)

Disheveledamethyst

Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #1300 on: August 17, 2011, 09:40:09 PM »
I never would have guessed that poster would sell for over $300!

If I hadn't bid, it would have gone for $118.00. But I really freaking wanted it. Monsters, Inc is one of my favorite Pixar movies, and I hate the American poster, and I was really excited this popped up.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1301 on: August 17, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
Your luck is going to have to change soon (either that or find some other less difficult posters to lust after ;) )
Chris

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #1302 on: August 17, 2011, 09:48:35 PM »
watch out, he may be listening

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline wormie

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1303 on: August 17, 2011, 10:00:27 PM »
I just made a small bid to get my foot wet and then figured out I probably could not compete with the guys who is really wanting it. I really liked it. But I wouldn't pay 300+ for it. I'm sure it will pop up someday somewhere with a more reasonable price tag.
Chengbo

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1304 on: August 17, 2011, 10:37:23 PM »
This hobby is all about timing and patience.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 10:43:25 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1305 on: August 17, 2011, 10:50:05 PM »

Preaching the gospel
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1306 on: August 17, 2011, 10:56:01 PM »

it's all about money and being in the right place at the wrong time

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Lebowski

« Reply #1307 on: August 17, 2011, 10:57:42 PM »
Newbie question: Is there a way to search completed auctions on movieposterbid.com? I'd like to review some of the auction results but couldn't figure out how to do so (on eBay, of course, it's through the advanced search).

In good news, I won my very first item (of hopefully many more) tonight:
http://www.movieposterbid.com/itemdetl.asp?id=81096

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1308 on: August 17, 2011, 10:59:29 PM »
Preaching the gospel

It's also a learning experience.  

I cannot tell you how many times I overpaid on posters when I started collecting.  I even fought Holiday vigorously on the subject.  And then I learned.  I learned that you can get everything you want for a fraction of the price if you wait.

But in Anthony's case, or at least I hope, there is always this one poster that you need to get now.  Even if it shows up a couple months later for $25, you just had to have it when it first popped up.  I bought a few posters like that, knowing very well that I was making a mistake, but it didn't matter.

At the end of the day, there is really no right or wrong.  And if money is not an issue...

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #1309 on: August 17, 2011, 11:02:20 PM »
I learned that you can get everything you want for a fraction of the price if you wait.
T

All depends what you are looking for.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1310 on: August 17, 2011, 11:07:27 PM »
Well, sure.  But for what we're talking, I think it's a pretty accurate statement.

My Personal Collection

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1311 on: August 17, 2011, 11:40:57 PM »
Yeah, we go back and forth on this.  But, how many posters are in my collection that are not in yours, but for the fact that I was willing to drop some money on them.  And, of those, how many are you still patiently waiting for, for all of these years?

I guess if the poster doesn't get you hard, then you don't need it that badly and you won't spend the money.  Most of the time, though, when I spend a lot of money on a poster, it's because it's rare, I like it, and I want it in my collection so I don't have to have it banging around my head for longer than it has to.  I'll always pay more than Thierry, and that's why my collection will always be better than his.

And, he ducks......

:o

It's also a learning experience.  

I cannot tell you how many times I overpaid on posters when I started collecting.  I even fought Holiday vigorously on the subject.  And then I learned.  I learned that you can get everything you want for a fraction of the price if you wait.

But in Anthony's case, or at least I hope, there is always this one poster that you need to get now.  Even if it shows up a couple months later for $25, you just had to have it when it first popped up.  I bought a few posters like that, knowing very well that I was making a mistake, but it didn't matter.

At the end of the day, there is really no right or wrong.  And if money is not an issue...

T
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1312 on: August 17, 2011, 11:49:39 PM »
Newbie question: Is there a way to search completed auctions on movieposterbid.com? I'd like to review some of the auction results but couldn't figure out how to do so (on eBay, of course, it's through the advanced search).

In good news, I won my very first item (of hopefully many more) tonight:
http://www.movieposterbid.com/itemdetl.asp?id=81096

you can do this on google:
28 days later moviepostersbid.com

results: http://www.google.com/search?q=28+days+later+movieposterbid.com&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

-------

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #1313 on: August 17, 2011, 11:53:52 PM »
Dunno...it's not always about the cheapest price.
I'll usually pay a little more to get it from a source I trust whom I know can get it to me in one piece.
Ves

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1314 on: August 18, 2011, 12:03:10 AM »
Yeah, we go back and forth on this.  But, how many posters are in my collection that are not in yours, but for the fact that I was willing to drop some money on them.  And, of those, how many are you still patiently waiting for, for all of these years?

You want me to be honest with you?  I don't think that many, but that's mostly because our respective collecting focus has shifted over the years.  Sure, they are some Japanese posters you own that I'd still like to get, but I didn't want them for the price you paid at the time, and I still don't want them for that price.  Point is, there are so many posters to get out there, that I'm done trying to wait for the ones that I once wanted.  If they pop up at the right price, I'll buy them.  If they don't, I'll buy something else.
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1315 on: August 18, 2011, 12:05:33 AM »

...that's why my collection will always be better than his.

Yes, it's true, but I take comfort in the fact that your collection will always be second to Cockring's.

Ouch, that hurts!

spew
My Personal Collection

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1316 on: August 18, 2011, 12:07:21 AM »
Yes, it's true, but I take comfort in the fact that your collection will always be second to Cockring's.

Ouch, that hurts!

spew

HOLY FUCK that was uncalled for!

Below the belt!

Foul!

But funny nonetheless.

ALL HAIL THE COCKRING!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1317 on: August 18, 2011, 12:25:15 AM »
hey, you folks all are focused on the Monsters Inc poster.. here's one this week that is easily just as scarce

HARRY POTTER and the SORCERER'S STONE 2001 DS International 1sh .. RARE
http://www.movieposterbid.com/itemdetl.asp?id=81486

-------

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1319 on: August 18, 2011, 04:46:41 PM »
Yeah, I saw that one.  Very nice.

hey, you folks all are focused on the Monsters Inc poster.. here's one this week that is easily just as scarce

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1320 on: August 18, 2011, 06:58:53 PM »
$650, Holiday.  C'mon dude, you might never see it again  wynk

T
My Personal Collection

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1321 on: August 18, 2011, 08:31:13 PM »
$650, Holiday.  C'mon dude, you might never see it again  wynk

T

Well, maybe not THAT much.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1322 on: August 23, 2011, 09:59:37 PM »
This hobby is pretty much a bunch of horny bastards....

Bruce

« Reply #1323 on: August 23, 2011, 10:03:24 PM »
It also shows the value of consigning to the RIGHT auction!

Bruce

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1324 on: August 24, 2011, 02:11:18 PM »
I wonder where this one will end tonight

-------