Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2836927 times)

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #1275 on: August 11, 2011, 10:32:29 PM »

The prices kind of seemed high to me, too.  But the thing I like about daybills is that you can double the previous auction price and still only be in for like 40 bucks for a name brand movie.  This may be blasphemy, but if the daybill is a stone litho and has good artwork of a hottie then the movie title does not really matter to me.  IIRC correctly, I got Killers w/Angie Dickinson and Property Condemned w/Natalie Wood for like a total of 50.

Brian
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

raulleaf

« Reply #1276 on: August 11, 2011, 11:27:34 PM »
Good to hear you did well.  There was a little bidding war on the Mad Max daybill, which was fun to watch, although it would have been more fun had I won :D.  I scored a pretty sweeeet Piranha daybill for a good price, so I'm stoked about that. ;D  Who is the guy Chris (CSM) was talking about who dominated the daybill bidding wars the last time emovieposter had a daybill auction?

I initially had this on my watch list but I seem to have issues with spending all my money on one poster.  I spent over $120 on 8 posters; if I had the discipline I could have gotten the Mad Max or two very nice daybills.  But my main target was the Amadeus...

And the others fell in line with a new direction in my collecting.  I think I have been just buying stuff regardless if I like the film or not.  This is especially true of many of my Eastwoods.  For example I would never hang Space Cowboys or Firefox.  Thinking about cutting down on the actor/actress (minus Ms. Portman) collection and focusing on the films I really love.  My new motto is; "If I wouldn't hang it, I shouldn't buy it!"

I usually refrain from the Dances with Wolves but I have always loved that movie as well as Lethal Weapon...  No more senseless Eastwood and Gibson worship; yeah like I would ever hang an Air America daybill....

When I saw the Piranha daybill I actually thought of you; glad you found it and gobbled it up...

raulleaf

« Reply #1277 on: August 11, 2011, 11:38:27 PM »

But so that you don't have huge "withdrawal", have you thought about instead buying some inserts or locandinas which are the American and Italian equivalent of daybills? It just so happens we will be adding 800 of those in an hour or so!

Bruce

Bruce, you're my wallet's worst enemy... really... 16 Eastwood inserts all at once!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 11:38:38 PM by raulleaf »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #1278 on: August 12, 2011, 10:13:30 AM »
I initially had this on my watch list but I seem to have issues with spending all my money on one poster.  I spent over $120 on 8 posters; if I had the discipline I could have gotten the Mad Max or two very nice daybills.  But my main target was the Amadeus...

And the others fell in line with a new direction in my collecting.  I think I have been just buying stuff regardless if I like the film or not.  This is especially true of many of my Eastwoods.  For example I would never hang Space Cowboys or Firefox.  Thinking about cutting down on the actor/actress (minus Ms. Portman) collection and focusing on the films I really love.  My new motto is; "If I wouldn't hang it, I shouldn't buy it!"

I usually refrain from the Dances with Wolves but I have always loved that movie as well as Lethal Weapon...  No more senseless Eastwood and Gibson worship; yeah like I would ever hang an Air America daybill....

When I saw the Piranha daybill I actually thought of you; glad you found it and gobbled it up...

Lately I've taken more of the approach where I wait for one that I really like and focus on winning that one.  There was an article I read recently about a guy who collects stuff from the Civil War, and he mentioned how he knows a lot of people who got into it because they really like something, and then just start collecting all kinds of stuff just for the sake of buying it.  As long as it doesn't turn into the next episode of Hoarders or cause some serious problems, I would say there's nothing wrong with it, and someday people may look at the people like us who are buying this stuff like we were striking gold.  That's a good motto for not buying it unless you would display it.

"glad you found it and gobbled it up..."?   laugh1  That actually made me LOL, especially with the "...".  No pun intended, right?  Otherwise, nice play on words, jerk.  :D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 10:32:58 AM by NeoLoco »

raulleaf

« Reply #1279 on: August 12, 2011, 10:32:37 AM »
Lately I've taken more of the approach where I wait for one that I really like and focus on winning that one.  There was an article I read recently about a guy who collects stuff from the Civil War, and he mentioned how he knows a lot of people who got into it because they really like something, and then just start collecting all kinds of stuff just for the sake of buying it.  As long as it doesn't turn into the next episode of Hoarders or cause some serious problems, I would say there's nothing wrong with it, and someday people may look at the people like us who are buying this stuff like we were striking gold.

"glad you found it and gobbled it up..."?   laugh1  That actually made me LOL, especially with the "...".  No pun intended, right?  Otherwise, nice play on words, jerk.  :D

Actually there was no pun intended just a bit of my Texas slang working its way onto my post.  However, it was actually an awesome play on words; subconscious maybe? Piranha - gobbled... :) 

I had to actually google "gobbled" to figure out what you were talking about regarding the removed portion...  That would have been a bit asinine of me.  I had no such aim regarding that meaning, but I learned somethin mesmrized.  No hard feelings I hope. 

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1280 on: August 12, 2011, 10:34:06 AM »
So I am spent... How did everybody do tonight on the daybills.

I got my Amadeus daybill;  woohoo  (you nailed it Brian)

Other daybills I snatched:

Dances with Wolves
Gallipoli (brown)
Lethal Weapon
Loves of Isadora (nice red Vanessa Redgrave; bought this one for the look) http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2266688
Sudden Impact (paid for this one who knew?); figured since I finished off my B2 Dirty Harry set I could grab one more towards my daybill set.

Only loss was the German For a Few Dollars More; would have liked it but didn't know how much I would have to pay for the Amadeus...

Overall a good night!

Sweet!

Love Amadeus, Gallipoli and Dances with Wolves.

I got three out of the six I wanted and two I dont really want so much.   moron1. Wrong artist but they total only $10 so I wont lose any sleep.

Bruce, you're my wallet's worst enemy... really... 16 Eastwood inserts all at once!

No kidding.

Stay away from the ones I want or I will beat you with my Vodka bottle. :P

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #1281 on: August 12, 2011, 10:39:58 AM »
Actually there was no pun intended just a bit of my Texas slang working its way onto my post.  However, it was actually an awesome play on words; subconscious maybe? Piranha - gobbled... :)  

I had to actually google "gobbled" to figure out what you were talking about regarding the removed portion...  That would have been a bit asinine of me.  I had no such aim regarding that meaning, but I learned somethin mesmrized.  No hard feelings I hope.  

Haha.  No worries, man.  Even if there was a pun intended in the "get your head out of the gutter" kinda way, it's not a big deal.  But yeah, it's a pretty awesome poster IMO.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1282 on: August 13, 2011, 10:26:19 AM »
Tread Softly Italian 1P went for $2100 at Emovie on Tuesday.  It was on my want list ... and it will stay on my want list forever at that price!

Bruce

« Reply #1283 on: August 13, 2011, 10:54:22 AM »
What did it sell for when you saw it, Mel?

Bruce

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #1284 on: August 13, 2011, 11:04:22 AM »
I was battling another Scottsdale dealer for that one. I'm glad he won. We also had it out for the 3sh girl in black stockings.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 11:06:13 AM by CineMasterpieces »

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
Star Wars (20th Century Fox, 1977). Argentinean Poster (42" X 58"
« Reply #1285 on: August 13, 2011, 11:11:04 AM »

I'm surprised no one mentioned this one yet:

Star Wars (20th Century Fox, 1977). Argentinean Poster (42" X 58")

$2151.00

http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=161132&lotNo=52403

I've never seen this one before. Outbid in the last few seconds.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1286 on: August 13, 2011, 11:28:33 AM »
The Italian 1P version with Diana Dors only seems to be very rare, so I didn't know how much it would fetch.   Cinemasterpieces has it for $8000 retail, so I'm not really surprised it went for $2000 at auction. Just hoping it wouldn't!

The other version is more common but the images are mishmashed - a serene Dors and two guys trying to strangle each other!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: Star Wars (20th Century Fox, 1977). Argentinean Poster (42" X 58"
« Reply #1287 on: August 13, 2011, 11:31:37 AM »

I'm surprised no one mentioned this one yet:

Star Wars (20th Century Fox, 1977). Argentinean Poster (42" X 58")

$2151.00

http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=161132&lotNo=52403

I've never seen this one before. Outbid in the last few seconds.

Haven't seen that one either.  This Spanish/English version of the Hildebrandt image is floating around as well:

« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 11:33:19 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1288 on: August 13, 2011, 11:34:15 AM »
The other version is more common but the images are mishmashed - a serene Dors and two guys trying to strangle each other!

Reminds me of the scene at the beginning of Return of the King except that these two guys are fighting over a different precious.

Bruce

« Reply #1289 on: August 13, 2011, 11:42:57 AM »
Mel, that "other version" is twice as big (a two panel, 55 x 78).

Bruce

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1290 on: August 13, 2011, 06:44:35 PM »
Underwater goes for $281 today:

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1291 on: August 14, 2011, 11:10:06 AM »
Very cool & rare Big Wednesday quad went for £231/$375 today:

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1292 on: August 14, 2011, 02:35:05 PM »
Very cool & rare Big Wednesday quad went for £231/$375 today:

What was your high bid Mel?  Mine was 125.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1293 on: August 14, 2011, 04:20:54 PM »
What was your high bid Mel?  Mine was 125.

$150. I knew I didn't have a real shot but my poster spending is going to be low for the next five months while I pay off some old poster debt.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 04:21:17 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1294 on: August 14, 2011, 05:07:38 PM »
Mine was in pounds  ;)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1295 on: August 17, 2011, 07:00:04 PM »

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #1296 on: August 17, 2011, 07:08:32 PM »

From Adelaide,back to the Uk judging by the shipping location.
That seems like alot of postal risk for a quad you can get here for half the price..people are strange...

Stew

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #1297 on: August 17, 2011, 08:52:45 PM »
Well, I lost, but at least you have to pay $300+ for it. That price is artificial, because he was only bidding against me, and I doubt there's another Monsters, Inc/Pixar fan who wanted it as much as he did. If I had the money (or if my girlfriend had more money for me to squeeze out of her as a contribution) I would have bid this up to a thousand dollars.

Oh well. I guess I can always plan a burglary. Does anybody know "rattler?"

http://movieposterbid.com/itemdetl.asp?id=81223

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1298 on: August 17, 2011, 08:58:53 PM »
Yeah, who is that bastitch! Here's his/her buying record:

http://www.movieposterbid.com/fb.asp?user=rattler

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1299 on: August 17, 2011, 09:23:54 PM »
I never would have guessed that poster would sell for over $300!
Chris