Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837959 times)

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #1250 on: August 07, 2011, 10:35:39 AM »
Damn, I would shirley have liked to have gotten my hands on that "Cleopatra."  It would look outstanding next to my "Salome" card.  If anybody has a non-$6000 version from that stack sitting around, do get in touch.

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1251 on: August 07, 2011, 10:56:17 AM »
Anyone any idea how many was in the stack..... Bruce?
It's more than a Hobby...

Bruce

« Reply #1252 on: August 07, 2011, 11:33:13 AM »
I would guess at least six. I had a few over the years. Some were pretty deteriorated, some were really nice.

Bruce

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1253 on: August 07, 2011, 01:02:33 PM »
It is almost surely NOT from a different printing. Notice the exact same theater info. A bunch of these were found many years ago in a stack. The framed one may have been on top of the stack and received the most dirt. I would have to see it out of the frame (and a good picture) to see to what extent it could possibly be "cleaned". It is not impossible that it would look pretty good after "cleaning", but it would not look like it originally did, without being "dipped in paint".

I have seen items that were massively "worked over" that have been described as just having had a "good cleaning". Remember that auctioneers and sellers often try to present something "in the best possible light", which sometimes can involve bending the truth.

Bruce

So Bruce, what do you think it might auction at?   Don't worry, I won't hold you to it... I realize it would just be an estimate.

Bruce

« Reply #1254 on: August 07, 2011, 01:38:31 PM »
It depends on who is bidding that day, at what auction house it is offered, and whether a bidder leaves a high absentee bid!

I would guess that in a 100% honest auction I would expect it to go between $1,000 and $2,000, but of course it could go much higher (or a little lower) on any given day.

Bruce

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1255 on: August 07, 2011, 04:54:24 PM »
It depends on who is bidding that day, at what auction house it is offered, and whether a bidder leaves a high absentee bid!

I would guess that in a 100% honest auction I would expect it to go between $1,000 and $2,000, but of course it could go much higher (or a little lower) on any given day.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce. That is about what I was ballparking as well when I bid.

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #1256 on: August 08, 2011, 12:11:23 AM »

DreamWarrior

« Reply #1257 on: August 08, 2011, 03:12:25 PM »
Okay, which one of you sumbitches beat Me on the Conqueror Worm 40x60 on HA? Seriously though, if it's one of your guys congrats. thumbup
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 03:13:28 PM by DreamWarrior »

raulleaf

« Reply #1258 on: August 11, 2011, 08:54:06 PM »
So I am spent... How did everybody do tonight on the daybills.

I got my Amadeus daybill;  woohoo  (you nailed it Brian)

Other daybills I snatched:

Dances with Wolves
Gallipoli (brown)
Lethal Weapon
Loves of Isadora (nice red Vanessa Redgrave; bought this one for the look) http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2266688
Sudden Impact (paid for this one who knew?); figured since I finished off my B2 Dirty Harry set I could grab one more towards my daybill set.

Only loss was the German For a Few Dollars More; would have liked it but didn't know how much I would have to pay for the Amadeus...

Overall a good night!

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #1259 on: August 11, 2011, 09:07:01 PM »

So I am spent... How did everybody do tonight on the daybills.

Overall a good night!

Good to hear you did well.  There was a little bidding war on the Mad Max daybill, which was fun to watch, although it would have been more fun had I won :D.  I scored a pretty sweeeet Piranha daybill for a good price, so I'm stoked about that. ;D  Who is the guy Chris (CSM) was talking about who dominated the daybill bidding wars the last time emovieposter had a daybill auction?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1260 on: August 11, 2011, 09:09:35 PM »
Not me.  I passed on all of them.  Like Chris said, I don't think I'm quite a fan yet.  This is a tough one.  I need more brainwashing.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #1261 on: August 11, 2011, 09:17:53 PM »

Not me.  I passed on all of them.  Like Chris said, I don't think I'm quite a fan yet.  This is a tough one.  I need more brainwashing.

T

Everyone could use more brainwashing! :D  There are some really cool alternate artworks from Australia, and they're probably more rare than their US counterparts, which also increases the coolness IMHO.  The bidding wars are fun, so I look forward to the next time Bruce has a daybill auction and I (hopefully) don't have other endeavors to fund.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 09:19:57 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #1262 on: August 11, 2011, 09:22:43 PM »
Not me.  I passed on all of them.  Like Chris said, I don't think I'm quite a fan yet.  This is a tough one.  I need more brainwashing.

T

Boy, that sentiment is a day late.   eyeroll  

Among others, I picked up Butterfield 8, To Kill a Mockingbird, Dementia 13 Horizontal, One Million BC, and Rocky I and II.   I bought enough tonight that I probably should go on a daybill "hiatus".  ;D

Brian

« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 09:23:06 PM by ATLfun »
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Bruce

« Reply #1263 on: August 11, 2011, 09:25:27 PM »
I think it is fair to say that Edwige Fenech has at least two very loyal fans! I wonder what they see in her?

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2267089

Bruce

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #1264 on: August 11, 2011, 09:26:10 PM »
People People...MOVE AWAY FROM THE DAYBILLS...THEY SUCK
Ves

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1265 on: August 11, 2011, 09:29:47 PM »
I think it is fair to say that Edwige Fenech has at least two very loyal fans! I wonder what they see in her?

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2267089

Bruce

Yeah, that's what I can't stand about your auctions, Bruce.  A lot of times, I overbid on an item, not because I really want it, but because I don't want the other guy to get it.  It becomes a game.  For instance, your Little Mermaid French lobbies are not worth anywhere close to $69, but I upped it from $20 something because I was annoyed.  I would have been supremely annoyed to get them for $69, but that's another story :)  You just have to know when the other party has suffered enough :)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Bruce

« Reply #1266 on: August 11, 2011, 09:34:21 PM »
It is your macho-ness that brings that out in you, and it is what makes people consign say, 100 items, knowing that 30 or 40 will go for a dollar or two or three, because there will be some that should go for $20, but go for $69 after two macho studs butt heads for a while!

As to "I probably should go on a daybill "hiatus", I completely agree! (At least for a month or so when I likely will have some in my mini/major auction).

But so that you don't have huge "withdrawal", have you thought about instead buying some inserts or locandinas which are the American and Italian equivalent of daybills? It just so happens we will be adding 800 of those in an hour or so!

Bruce

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1267 on: August 11, 2011, 09:36:52 PM »
Yeah, sometimes it really doesn't make sense.  I got Gatacca for $3.  $3 for one of the 90s coolest flick.  Go figure. 
My Personal Collection

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1268 on: August 11, 2011, 09:58:09 PM »
Good to hear you did well.  There was a little bidding war on the Mad Max daybill, which was fun to watch, although it would have been more fun had I won :D.  I scored a pretty sweeeet Piranha daybill for a good price, so I'm stoked about that. ;D  Who is the guy Chris (CSM) was talking about who dominated the daybill bidding wars the last time emovieposter had a daybill auction?

That would be the bastard or bastardette "misterbis"!
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1269 on: August 11, 2011, 09:58:57 PM »
 Boy, that sentiment is a day late.   eyeroll  

Among others, I picked up Butterfield 8, To Kill a Mockingbird, Dementia 13 Horizontal, One Million BC, and Rocky I and II.   I bought enough tonight that I probably should go on a daybill "hiatus".  ;D

Brian

Nice job Brian - Dementia 13 horizontal is one of the top daybills out there...
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1270 on: August 11, 2011, 09:59:17 PM »
People People...MOVE AWAY FROM THE DAYBILLS...THEY SUCK

Seconded!
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1271 on: August 11, 2011, 10:00:59 PM »
And overall I would say Bruce's realized prices were MUCH higher generally for most of these daybill titles...
Chris

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #1272 on: August 11, 2011, 10:06:39 PM »
That would be the bastard or bastardette "misterbis"!

laugh1  Thanks for the heads up, although he/she is/was one of many apparent daybill lovers. 

That was a very nice haul, ATL.  You scored some of the best ones (IMO) that were there tonight.

Bruce

« Reply #1273 on: August 11, 2011, 10:16:29 PM »
There WERE many high prices, but HALF of the items sold for $8 or less!

Bruce

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1274 on: August 11, 2011, 10:17:51 PM »
There WERE many high prices, but HALF of the items sold for $8 or less!

Bruce

And probably deservedly so ;)
Chris