Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838288 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #1150 on: May 31, 2011, 11:32:34 PM »
Holy Shitoly, that is insane. I would swap mine for 2500 in 50's sci-fi or horror and never look back.

+1

What is the appeal of this one? I don't see it. Or is it because it is ultra rare? (inquiring minds, and all that).  eyeroll

Jeff

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 12:35:36 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1151 on: June 01, 2011, 12:20:05 AM »
Cool movie, Japanese themes and Japanese movie poster.  Most of the Japanese posters for Kill Bill are pricey, at least in the larger B1 format.

+1

What is the appeal of this one? Or is it because it is ultra rare? (inquiring minds, and all that).  eyeroll

Jeff

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #1152 on: June 01, 2011, 12:26:05 AM »
+1

What is the appeal of this one? Or is it because it is ultra rare? (inquiring minds, and all that).  eyeroll

Jeff

This is another one of those "popular posters" that does nothing for me... I think it boils down to Quentin Tarantino fans really liking Quentin Tarantino. The negative space is enough of a novelty to strike the fans' fancy. I also think people consider Tarantino memorabilia an investment, like Kubrick fans.

EDIT: Not that novelty is a negative term, here. I bought the R1993 Snow White poster for the novelty factor, even though I don't collect re-releases. The mirror mylar is a perfect example, I think, of a poster that has an unusual aspect that attracts the fans. Like the negative space in the Kill Bill poster.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 12:28:07 AM by Disheveledamethyst »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #1153 on: June 02, 2011, 02:42:59 AM »
I gave watched exactly 1/2 of one Tarantino film. Thankfully we had a blackout at the cinema during Jacky Brown.  My mission in  life is to never see another anything by that dick shit wanker who can go screw his own anus with another film makers dick. Sorry Lars, I know he is "god" I am a snob, a snob who loves Bruno Mattei, (google it) I like people with passion, he has I am sure, shame its OTHERS passion/
And to piss T off more, don't get me started on SpeilBLURGE.
Snob? yes. Fuck it, life's too short to deny. But snob from another angle.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1154 on: June 02, 2011, 02:53:19 AM »
I gave watched exactly 1/2 of one Tarantino film. Thankfully we had a blackout at the cinema during Jacky Brown.  My mission in  life is to never see another anything by that dick shit wanker who can go screw his own anus with another film makers dick. Sorry Lars, I know he is "god" I am a snob, a snob who loves Bruno Mattei, (google it) I like people with passion, he has I am sure, shame its OTHERS passion/

Ari,

Thats 1/2 more than i have ever watched.

Jeff

-Jeff

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #1155 on: June 02, 2011, 07:42:13 AM »

Ari,

Thats 1/2 more than i have ever watched.

Jeff

While I'm not as passionate about my disliking, Tarantino does nothing for me either. I've seen Pulp Fiction, Inglorious Basterds, and Kill Bill. Pulp Fiction I really didn't like. It doesn't even feel like a movie to me. I liked Inglorious Basterds mostly, but I don't like how it was broken up into "chapters". Kill Bill was okay too I guess, but it felt more like a fan film (which it arguably is) made by some talented college students.

My biggest gripe with Tarantino is his "book style" or story telling. I know that before he made movies, he wanted to write books, but his "ADD" (if you believe in that sort of thing) better lent him to making movies. So he tried to translate books into film. But repeatedly stopping your movie and starting some place else feels like a cheat to me. There is no thematic necessity for them. Film is a visual medium, not textual, and the transition cards make me feel like he's working from an unfinished script he was too lazy to string together.

What if every movie had "chapters"? Like Star Wars? Would the movie be better if it was broken up into chapters, where the story and action are only built up to a point before resetting the pace and the viewer's attention back to zero? If just before they destroyed the Death Star, a blank screen popped up and said "Chapter 5: The Death Star is Destroyed", would you feel more engaged as an audience member?

But I don't know. That's just me. Literally nobody I've talked to agrees with me, which is fine. I've been told a hundred reasons why Tarantino is a gifted film maker and honestly a lot of them are true; but I still don't enjoy his movies. Not very much...

Spielberg I do really like, but I don't think his a number of his movies are aging very well. Especially Jurassic Park. Not because of the special effects, which are phenomenal, but because of the script.

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1156 on: June 02, 2011, 04:17:04 PM »
Here's the pisser....  That poster probably cost the seller, if he's trolling Tokyo, about $20. Maybe $50.  The last copy I got years ago I paid $50 for to someone who scouts locally in Tokyo.  That copy ended up getting traded to my dear friend Thierry ( puke2 ) for a nice poster.  It does give me a hard-on, though, to see it sell for $2500.  Usually I'm on the ass end of that, trying to find a copy to buy.

The Tarantino market in Japan has increased significantly in the past 1 1/2 years. The Japanese Banners I have, cost me $4000.00 from a Japanese seller and they were slated to stay in Japan to another collector for $3500.00. The very few B1's I have seen pop up which was just the yellow suit version has sold between $250.00 - $350.00 over there.

Its too bad I did not see that auction, not that I would have paid $2500.00 for it but I know who it went to and I am happy to see it go to him. It's a must have for any kill Bill fan and it so happens to be one of the ones I need to complete the Japanese campaign for Kill Bill.

Cj

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1157 on: June 02, 2011, 09:49:21 PM »
Holy Shitoly, that is insane. I would swap mine for 2500 in 50's sci-fi or horror and never look back.

You know it, brother.
Film's a hoot, but these over-priced Tarantinos are for the birds.
Right, Ari?

Offline idioteque

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1158 on: June 02, 2011, 11:13:03 PM »
The Tarantino market in Japan has increased significantly in the past 1 1/2 years. The Japanese Banners I have, cost me $4000.00 from a Japanese seller and they were slated to stay in Japan to another collector for $3500.00. The very few B1's I have seen pop up which was just the yellow suit version has sold between $250.00 - $350.00 over there.

Its too bad I did not see that auction, not that I would have paid $2500.00 for it but I know who it went to and I am happy to see it go to him. It's a must have for any kill Bill fan and it so happens to be one of the ones I need to complete the Japanese campaign for Kill Bill.

Cj

I'm with Cj. Kill Bill is a pleasure to repeat view, and the Japanese poster campaign does full justice to the cool of these films. Character sets and imaginative alternate artwork, represent the very best in modern poster art, the sort of presentation that ups demand.

As Holiday has said, these posters may not be the rarest in the modern Japanese market, but the heavy fan base make these highly sought after posters very hard to track down, and bloody expensive, in the large format.

I truly believe that if most doubting collectors got to view Holiday's or Cj's Kill Bill collection in person, they might understand the passion. Obviously if you hate Kill Bill or Tarantino, nothing changes.

The market has been set for a reason, and quality (both film and poster campaign) and scarceness underpin this IMO.
I guess worth is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1159 on: June 03, 2011, 12:03:18 AM »
Ok, you made me rethink it with all this talk.

I will sell my Kill Bill poster collection for one billion dollars, in anticipation of the appreciation in value of these posters over the next 5000 years.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1160 on: June 03, 2011, 08:11:29 AM »
I'm with Cj. Kill Bill is a pleasure to repeat view

I agree with you guys. Loved the KBs.

I do understand people that dont like QT movies. Its all personal preference. I could make a lengthy list of movies that people drool over that you would have to pay me to watch again.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1161 on: June 03, 2011, 11:52:47 AM »
Anyone take a chance bidding at Cameo's recent auctions, and win anything? 

Some of you Southern chaps must have been there, how did it go.....
It's more than a Hobby...

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #1162 on: June 03, 2011, 02:55:26 PM »
I attended the sale with just four other prospective bidders present. The preview was very well organised with folded posters in individual poly bags (with a small identifying image on top) laid flat on long tables in lot order and rolled posters either in hangers or individual "square cardboard tubes".

I would guess around three quarters of the lots sold, most below the guide prices. I know Cameo often get a bad press - deservedly in the case of their packaging - but they are friendly and helpful people in person and it was an enjoyable, relaxed sale. In fact, I did yawn dramatically at one point and mistakenly made eye contact with the auctioneer who thought I had registered a bid. I won around a dozen lots - including original release quads for Night of the Living Dead and Star Wars (Hildebrandt art) -  and was pleased that I could take the posters away safely in person.

Mark

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1163 on: June 03, 2011, 03:38:20 PM »
Time for pics now Mark!
Chris

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #1164 on: June 03, 2011, 06:15:52 PM »
i had my eye on that Hildebrandt, but couldnt get down to see it first :(

One day...!

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #1165 on: June 03, 2011, 07:00:42 PM »
I'll post some pictures in Latest Acquisitions (June).

Mark

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1166 on: June 03, 2011, 08:21:21 PM »
I'll post some pictures in Latest Acquisitions (June).

Mark

Saw them and thanks for posting.
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1167 on: June 04, 2011, 01:46:02 AM »
Mark, I'm glad to hear they are a bit more organised if you turn up in person. I was boarder line going down, but i think there was only two posters I really wanted. Plus I'm just sorting out a deal for a couple of nice pieces at the moment.... ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1168 on: June 05, 2011, 11:10:09 PM »
This very cool Shaft's Big Score went for $167 tonight at Heritage. This particular copy is in pretty rough shape. Has anyone ever seen or have this poster?  It must be extremely rare - can't find any reference or image of it anywhere else.

P.S. This same poster was also sold a few weeks ago by Heritage.  I assume the buyer did not pay.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 11:11:15 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1169 on: June 07, 2011, 10:30:21 PM »
This rare Space Odyssey Style B poster went fairly low tonight:

Stock image:

« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 10:33:22 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1170 on: June 07, 2011, 10:43:11 PM »
This rare Space Odyssey Style B poster went fairly low tonight:

Stock image:

From what I've been able to gather, the style B seems to go for the least money.  And 2001 posters (other than psyc. eye wilding poster) seem to be dropping in value....

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #1171 on: June 07, 2011, 10:44:38 PM »
That could be my fave 2001 poster. The EYE poster is AWFUL IMHO. I like this a lot. Dont have the $ but if I did Id pay that in a flash.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #1173 on: June 07, 2011, 11:01:32 PM »
Never liked that poster, Id prefer it trimmed down to just the art.
An Error Has Occurred!

DreamWarrior