Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837093 times)

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #1050 on: April 19, 2011, 04:35:01 PM »
Nice! The Tatekan actually beats the B2 with the addition of the characters from the US, I reckon. Is that part an illustrated interpretation or the original photo?

Lovely stuff.
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1051 on: April 19, 2011, 06:44:42 PM »
Nice! The Tatekan actually beats the B2 with the addition of the characters from the US, I reckon. Is that part an illustrated interpretation or the original photo?

Lovely stuff.

Thanks Ed that part is illustrated, I've also got the 1 sheet and b2 but this tatekan is my
favourite and took me over 5 years to get. It just never comes up for sale.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1052 on: April 19, 2011, 07:03:04 PM »
do you mean this one?

Sweet poster !

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1053 on: April 19, 2011, 07:17:25 PM »
Thanks Zorba

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1054 on: April 19, 2011, 07:41:11 PM »

i like that he used a roll of ducktape and a shot glass to hold it down for the pick.

I thought about bidding $500 for that Barbarella but it went for much more.  I asked Poster Mountain whether it could be fixed:

This is a 40x60, and we don't usually linen-back these because of their heavy paper stock. Instead, we would flatten and repair the poster as needed, resizing the poster with gelatin to restore strength and structure. We also can't chemically lighten this poster - so any spots/foxing would have to be covered with airbrush paint and detail restoration.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1055 on: April 19, 2011, 07:46:06 PM »
Airbrush?  Yikes...the amount of foxing would equal a whole hell of a lot of paint (and I doubt the colour would match given the glossiness)
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1056 on: April 19, 2011, 08:06:05 PM »
This conversation about Barb is well and good, but I think people are forgetting about the rarity of this poster.  I've only seen like 5-6 of these sold at auction... I think I've seen more Casablanca 1-sheets than that!  Frankly I'm glad this was bought by, based on the price they paid, someone who clearly knows is value and rarity. 

Hopefully they will have this one conserved... airbrushing is optional in my opinion.  That big 40x60 Magnum Force I found at a garage sale also has some foxing, but it only noticeable if you are very close.  It still looks great from 2-3 feet back... about the closest you would expect to be staring at such a beast of a poster.

I still think this is a helluva poster!  And Bruce, I'm guessing you would have happily sold it at auction if you had the chance!

Bruce

« Reply #1057 on: April 19, 2011, 09:52:09 PM »
Harry, I WOULD have auctioned it, but only with putting in a strong caveat that it would require much paint restoration, and that you should not bid unless you don't mind the defects or can live with a heavily restored poster.

It's kind of like the faded Gilda that was auctioned on eBay. My honest description of the defects would have chilled the bidding.

This is why people rarely give me heavily restored items. They'd rather give them to auctions with fuzzy condition descriptions that "miss" a lot of restoration. I can't tell you how many posters have been consigned to me where I have to tell the people that the borders are new, or it is a re-paint job, and they tell me, "But when I bought it, it was described as having minor fold and border restoration and being in 'fine to very fine' condition"!

Interesting that Poster Mountain completely agreed with me. His answer was based on trying to restore these before, and seeing how only paint could cover the extensive foxing on these high gloss posters. Mine was based on seeing how similar ones turned out when all the top restorers tried to fix them without paint, and failed.

Bruce

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1058 on: April 19, 2011, 10:02:10 PM »
I agree with everything you wrote Bruce.  But I also still believe this poster is rare and valuable... even in its current condition.  That is all I was trying to convey.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1059 on: April 21, 2011, 06:10:19 PM »
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1060 on: April 21, 2011, 06:23:02 PM »
I had the opportunity, but passed.  The paper looks too thin (check out the side shot).  Also, the colors seem much too saturated and the detail in his hair seems be muddled compared with this copy that Bruce sold:

Bruce

« Reply #1061 on: April 21, 2011, 07:06:25 PM »
Looks like a hundred dollar repro to me. And in crappy condition, too!

Bruce

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #1062 on: April 22, 2011, 10:45:09 AM »
Strange how my mind gets all analytical at times, and emotional at others.

I was really looking long and hard at those silent 3 sheets (and 6 sheets) in Bruce's auction last night.  Gave up on the 6 sheets as my house really doesn't have that much clear wall available.  I was ready to go for a couple of the 3 sheets though and then i got to thinking.  The good ones went for $200+/-.  Add to that $200-300 to remove the kraft backing, linenback and do a light cleanup.  Add another $250-300+ for a reasonable frame and you are starting to approach $1k for that poster.

Yep, it is spectacular, but there is a lot on my want list that I could get for $1k.  It also seemed criminal to pick one up and just let it sit in a drawer, so I passed.
-Jay-

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1063 on: April 22, 2011, 03:08:36 PM »
It also seemed criminal to pick one up and just let it sit in a drawer, so I passed.

Im there with you at least for the moment as Im still new and nuts and keep changing the plan on the fly. 

Im not going to pay big money for anything that isnt going on a wall.

Bruce

« Reply #1064 on: April 22, 2011, 07:24:11 PM »
I called that "the wall test". If I can't imagine hanging a poster on MY wall, then why should I buy it (but I have bought items that never MADE it to the wall, but I think all that matters is that I would have liked it had it had).

I have another test. Before you EVER spend BIG bucks on anything, look at the image 20 times over a few days. If by the 20th time, you are no longer thinking "That is super cool" when you glance at it, then save those BIG bucks for something else that DOES make you feel that way.

I have picked up these theories over 45+ years of collecting stuff, and they both work really well. You will end up with a collection you really enjoy!

Bruce

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1065 on: April 22, 2011, 07:45:12 PM »

I have another test. Before you EVER spend BIG bucks on anything, look at the image 20 times over a few days. If by the 20th time, you are no longer thinking "That is super cool" when you glance at it, then save those BIG bucks for something else that DOES make you feel that way.

Thats some good advice and I like it.

Cj

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1066 on: April 22, 2011, 07:47:47 PM »
Looks like a hundred dollar repro to me. And in crappy condition, too!

Bruce

Agreed...
Chris

Bruce

« Reply #1069 on: April 24, 2011, 05:30:50 PM »
How could it NOT be legit?

As the seller says

"It says

Best Wishes from

Your Friend

Zoro

Guy Williams"

Obviously, the seller is not the biggest Zorro fan!

Bruce

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #1070 on: April 25, 2011, 05:26:16 PM »
Some jerk won this auction at $200 but didn't see the damage to the poster until the last 2 minutes of the auction and he couldn't change his bid in the sniping program so he accidentally won the auction.  His name here is NeoLoco...errr...wait a second, that's me.  hitself  Told Dan about it but never got a response so now I have an unpaid item recorded on my account.  :(

Same poster a month later sells for $32.00.  GOSH, I HATE GLOBAL WEIRDING!!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1071 on: April 25, 2011, 06:49:48 PM »
Yowza - this is 10 times more than folded copies have gone for in the past:

It is pretty cool - no doubt:

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #1072 on: April 26, 2011, 12:23:30 AM »
Just DIDN'T win this Totoro poster...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=350457035385&si=LpKwHfNAqMnUvmjkCYEFU0Hra8I%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDWX%3AIT#ht_3444wt_1139

I really, REALLY, REALLY wanted it but don't have more than $150 to spend on it. I'm very sad. I hate going to bed empty handed.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1073 on: April 26, 2011, 12:39:17 AM »

I hate going to bed empty handed.

Its going to happen, at least as far as some dream posters are concerned.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1074 on: April 26, 2011, 12:42:10 AM »
Just DIDN'T win this Totoro poster...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=350457035385&si=LpKwHfNAqMnUvmjkCYEFU0Hra8I%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDWX%3AIT#ht_3444wt_1139

I really, REALLY, REALLY wanted it but don't have more than $150 to spend on it. I'm very sad. I hate going to bed empty handed.

If you're really really patient, you might get one at that price, but in actuality it is worth much more than that.  If you don't mind it, you can always look for the railroad version that has the JR information in a white box at the bottom.  It's less expensive albeit less desirable due to the very fact of that box.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.