Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837987 times)

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #11050 on: December 09, 2023, 10:23:50 PM »
Cool.  I didn't know Mr. King wrote that many books.  Sounds like you're often a completist.  A few movies based on his books kinda spooked me as a kid.  The books may be even more spooky. cool1

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #11051 on: December 11, 2023, 04:09:04 PM »
My point actually.  Extremely slow at first, too slow, and then way too fast later on.  Like someone realized they had spent way too much time early on and told the auctioneer to speed it up.  I mean, the last guy was flying through.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who missed on items for that very reason.

And beautiful, Antoine.  Great great poster.

I got a Jaws 1/2 sheet.  Not a fan of the format, but now that I am putting the last touches on my Spielberg collection (almost 2,000 posters) I need to get all these pieces that I've been avoiding all these years.  I also got a Shadow of a Doubt style D linenbacked poster.  Yes, linenbacked.  I have the style C folded and I have been waiting and waiting for the style D.  It is my favorite Hitchcock movie, and the Master's fav too.  The last one that sold was 10 years ago, also linenbacked, so I had no choice.  Also, the one sheet size is quite easy to store in a drawer, even linenbacked.  This is a perfect example of my "I had no choice" moment.

T

Thierry, I think all collectors who really prefer folded over linenbacked paper like us end up having to make a similar decision when it comes to rare, older titles.  There are some old movies for which folded posters are simply impossible to find, so linen is the only option if one really wants to own a copy (hence my decision to acquire the French Bride of Frankenstein at Propstore despite it being on linen).  I feel like I had to reluctantly (yet increasingly) cross that Rubicon over and over in recent years, as I seek elusive titles that never seem to appear on the market unless linenbacked, all the while hoping that somewhere down the line I might come across a folded example to replace them with.  At this point, I'm resigned to this situation, it is what it is.  Congrats on that style D for Shadow of a Doubt, beautiful poster for a great film!

Offline hauser

• Beginner
« Reply #11052 on: December 15, 2023, 07:07:01 AM »
All true, Neo.

I collect books too, nothing extravagant like Holiday or Antoine do, but I have the (almost!!!) complete collection of Stephen King books (76 total, all first edition, first printing, mint copies and DJ, still missing 4) since I love movies and well, he's got something to say about movies.

T

If I may ask, which titles are you missing? Carrie? The gunslinger? Rage(although no dj for that one!) I know those 3 are the most difficult (and most expensive) ones to track down.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11053 on: December 15, 2023, 10:33:01 AM »
No, I have those.  Never spent so much money on a paperback.  Salem's Lot is my #1 miss.  Probably because I want a mint copy with impeccable DJ.  Night Shift and The Long Walk.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline hauser

• Beginner
« Reply #11054 on: December 15, 2023, 04:25:40 PM »
Good luck with the hunt! It’s a shame night shift has such a bland cover design in HC (especially compared to the paperback)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11055 on: December 15, 2023, 06:12:01 PM »
I agree.  The hardest thing for me is that I am extremely particular.  I like my books in mint condition, not a tear or dent, regardless of age.  King is obviously a modern writer, but his 70s books tend to have little things here and there, and I don't want that.  So I must wait, and wait...  I'm very patient hahaha

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #11056 on: December 18, 2023, 05:12:45 PM »
Either someone just got the deal of a lifetime (unlikely), or they just spent 3k on a set of repros (likely). Interesting to think about :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/395061598598?hash=item5bfb819986%3Ag%3AlM0AAOSwwAVlefhY&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5336393590&customid=&toolid=10049

Online pcarnette

• Beginner
  • Boldy Going... Into Debt
« Reply #11057 on: December 18, 2023, 05:32:34 PM »
That Frankenstein eBay seller has a 75% positive rating. Yiiiiiiiiikes!

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #11058 on: December 18, 2023, 09:02:11 PM »
Either someone just got the deal of a lifetime (unlikely), or they just spent 3k on a set of repros (likely). Interesting to think about :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/395061598598?hash=item5bfb819986%3Ag%3AlM0AAOSwwAVlefhY&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5336393590&customid=&toolid=10049

It is probably the repro set I just sold :(
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #11059 on: December 19, 2023, 07:34:34 PM »

They also sold a set from Son of Frankenstein for $150 - very strange when they are asking $100 for a set from Savage Mutiny (last time Bruce sold a set was for $18 for comparison).
But looking at the images, the crispness of the print/image is very off from originals, the fine details are very dark and don't pop like they should.

I'm guessing the buyer(s) will be making use of the ebay money back guarantee.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #11060 on: December 20, 2023, 02:55:24 PM »

These don't appear very often, and I haven't diligently followed the prices, but 2 years ago, I saw one of these at a fairly well known place go for $5,000 and I was a little surprised.  Another one not long after sold for $7,000.  I chatted briefly with a Star Wars expert and he said these are not extremely rare, and he remembers when there was a time that a few sold for about $500.  Very impressive upwards trend in the Star Wars market.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11061 on: December 20, 2023, 04:40:58 PM »
I think the word “rare” is being used to casually these days.  “Rare” to me is less than 10 copies of something.  “Extra rare” is one or two copies.  I don’t know how many copies there are of this ESB, but less than 50 seems correct.  And how many SW fans?  This explains the interest imo.  So not rare per se, but hard to get is more like it.

I bought mine for $1,600 a few years ago, and that seemed really high to me then.  It still does, but then most posters do.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #11062 on: December 20, 2023, 04:58:32 PM »
^EMP has - beyond rare, ultra rare, very rare, rare
tasty price for Jaws, hope new owner has big wall
would rather own Blackmail lobby

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #11063 on: December 20, 2023, 05:21:44 PM »
beyond rare, ultra rare, very rare, rare
[/quote
Reverse this order is how I've ordered my steak in my teens 20s 30s and now 40s

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #11064 on: December 20, 2023, 05:43:36 PM »
Would’ve rather had the three stooges poster. But even that went for high dollars..

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #11065 on: December 20, 2023, 06:22:28 PM »
I think the word “rare” is being used to casually these days.  “Rare” to me is less than 10 copies of something.  “Extra rare” is one or two copies.  I don’t know how many copies there are of this ESB, but less than 50 seems correct.  And how many SW fans?  This explains the interest imo.  So not rare per se, but hard to get is more like it.

I bought mine for $1,600 a few years ago, and that seemed really high to me then.  It still does, but then most posters do.

T

That's a good point - I wonder what the Star Wars expert I was talking to meant when he said it's not "extremely rare" - maybe he meant he's fairly sure there are more than 10 copies known to exist.  I think "unicorn" would be the most rare - not knowing whether a copy even exists.  Anywhere else on the "rare" scale is up for debate IMO. 

I was just reading the text with the eMovie auction about the history with 2 experts, and it seems like they agree that very few exist.  Bruce made a good point that it's unknown how many sales were the same copy, so it's difficult to know exactly how many there actually are. 

In stark contrast, the old Cinemasterpieces slogan on every one of his flashy listings: "a long time can go by without one of these coming up for sale."   uhno
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 07:15:26 PM by Neo »

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #11066 on: December 21, 2023, 05:33:14 PM »
In stark contrast, the old Cinemasterpieces slogan on every one of his flashy listings: "a long time can go by without one of these coming up for sale."   uhno

That is much better than his original which was along the lines of "years can go by without one of these coming up for sale" - I think he changed it to the long time version after he harassed him about it endlessly here.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #11067 on: December 21, 2023, 07:20:28 PM »

That is much better than his original

Yeah haha it's better, but still wildly inaccurate, as so many of his listings can be found anytime for sale.  I don't agree with his tactics to try to get folks to buy from him, and at his extraordinarily high prices, but it's his style and his right, of course.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 07:51:03 PM by Neo »

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #11068 on: January 05, 2024, 05:33:30 PM »
Seems like these keep climbing in price, the theater and video style here:

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #11069 on: January 05, 2024, 05:47:06 PM »

Makes perfect sense, right?
This film is like the 31 Frankenstein for the current generation of horror fans.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #11070 on: January 05, 2024, 06:18:26 PM »
Yeah, that's a good comparison; back in the 80s and 90s I remember it as one of the most popular among my friends, and many fans of the genre, and the first NOES has the best artwork of the series IMO.  Personally I was more into other titles, but still really like NOES, especially a few of the later ones in the series.  The original of a series is usually the favorite among most folks, though.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 06:42:20 PM by Neo »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11071 on: January 05, 2024, 07:20:17 PM »
Friday the 13th was my ultimate favorite back then, then Halloween, then Freddy.  I was very young when I discovered Texas Chainsaw on VHS and that became my fav.  How fucked up is that hahaha?  Still, countless nights with friends and girlfriends watching the Friday movies.  Freddy was too weird, too "realistic" I guess.  Friday was in the woods somewhere in the US.  Not in Paris by the Seine.  Freddy was in your dreams.  He could be anywhere, even in France.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Heather_Mason_SH3

• Beginner
« Reply #11072 on: January 05, 2024, 09:11:15 PM »

To be fair, that one took a VERY long time to sell. I had that exact one in my cart for...a year and a half? I very nearly bought it once but decided against it. I can't say whether or not it would have sold for as much if it had been an auction instead but the fact that it took as long as it did to sell probably means it wouldn't have.
But I do agree with what is being said in these posts. The UK artwork is GORGEOUS and just as good as the US artwork. This film is definitely iconic (along with the artwork) and very much the "Frankenstein" for this generation.
I myself am after a quad but haven't seen one at a price I am willing to pay just yet. I envy everyone that got them when they were much cheaper.
With that said, it does seem the original UK poster is the most valuable one of the "Nightmare" films. I've only ever seen the others for $200 or much less in my search. I own US posters for the first five films, although the only theatrical one is the for the second film. (It's my personal favorite.)

Offline giugno

• Beginner
« Reply #11073 on: January 08, 2024, 09:10:39 AM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/386494959044

This rolled Detour insert sold for $1,325.00 on Ebay... nowhere in the listing mentions it being original or reprint or whatever the case may be. Am I mistaken, that this is an 1980s reproduction and not an original insert from the 40s??

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #11074 on: January 08, 2024, 10:49:53 AM »
That Elm Street result is very impressive but I wonder how repeatable it would be?

I remember buying my copy for about 25p many years ago. The seller had a stack of at least 10 so I wish I'd purchased more. I did consider it at the time but being a buyer rather than a seller I didn't think there was much point.