Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838326 times)

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #11025 on: November 21, 2023, 09:30:24 PM »
Some lucky guy got this, sold for $464 at heritage two weeks ago.  So you know Grey this is not a "special poster" its a common size Canadian medium poster from Cinepix.  Anyone here get it?

Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS (Cambist Films, 1975). Rolled, Very Fine/Near Mint. Special Poster (23" X 35")
https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/movie-posters/exploitation/ilsa-she-wolf-of-the-ss-cambist-films-1975-rolled-very-fine-near-mint-special-poster-23-x-35-exploitation/a/162345-51215.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #11026 on: November 22, 2023, 01:23:36 PM »

So you know Grey this is not a "special poster" its a common size Canadian medium poster from Cinepix.  Anyone here get it?

I think Grey is with PropStore now and not Heritage; Bruce Carterton would be the Heritage person to contact.  Good luck  girly2.gif 

As for the poster itself, nice image of Ms. Thorne (minus the symbols and stuff) but the movie genre is too zany for me.

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #11027 on: November 26, 2023, 06:25:22 PM »
6 out of 7 of the highest selling lots at eMovie today were Mexican lobby cards.  :o  Looks like popular titles, with quite a lot of Universal horror, although it's difficult to see exactly what all sold with the lack of titles in the description.  Seems like it would be best for big titles, names, etc. like that to have them listed in the description, so potential bidders could search for them in the current auctions, and so there would be easily searchable post-sales history.

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #11028 on: December 05, 2023, 03:20:51 PM »
The title art artwork on this one looked really zany, and I was surprised to see the price jump so quickly to over $300 in the first day of a 10 day auction:

Winning bid: $996!  These 80s slasher flicks are getting hot.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225886906869?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=rhgoxefuswg&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=t2uZ4plJ
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 03:28:38 PM by Neo »

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
« Reply #11029 on: December 06, 2023, 11:44:30 PM »
Wow! That is an unbelievable price. Makes the Sleepaway Camp video posters look like a steal!

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #11030 on: December 07, 2023, 01:57:22 PM »
Wow! That is an unbelievable price. Makes the Sleepaway Camp video posters look like a steal!

I think it's a pretty solid deal, considering its genre popularity, rarity, condition, etc.  I'm slightly biased with my appreciation for video posters but it seems like they're all gaining a lot more attention lately.  For so long, a lot of folks just said they're worthless and trashed them, and maybe that's why with the increased demand there seems to be significantly fewer of them than their theater counterparts, and of course a very limited number for titles that were straight to video.  It'll be interesting to see which ones from extremely rare to not known to exist, will appear in the future.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11031 on: December 07, 2023, 05:53:26 PM »
Thoughts on Propstore?  I thought the last guy was absolutely too fast with the hammer.  There were 3 items that I had to think about between bids and by the time I made up my mind it was over.  Like 2 seconds and done.  At the beginning, waaaaaaay to slow.  Like they were waiting sometimes 10 seconds before the hammer fell.  Also, seems like a lot of items were way under estimations.  I don't know if they were too high or if they didn't reach enough bidders.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #11032 on: December 07, 2023, 07:26:35 PM »
Thierry, did you get any luck there today?

I had a different experience with the auctioneer as I felt that he was going rather slow to try to gin up more interest in the room; that's probably because my lot came fairly early in the sale (I didn't see the rest after I won it since there was only 1 item I was interested, so I missed whoever came after who apparently was on a faster track).  I won the 1946 French re-release of Bride of Frankenstein, which I've always found stunning, so I'm happy about that.   

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11033 on: December 07, 2023, 07:34:33 PM »
My point actually.  Extremely slow at first, too slow, and then way too fast later on.  Like someone realized they had spent way too much time early on and told the auctioneer to speed it up.  I mean, the last guy was flying through.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who missed on items for that very reason.

And beautiful, Antoine.  Great great poster.

I got a Jaws 1/2 sheet.  Not a fan of the format, but now that I am putting the last touches on my Spielberg collection (almost 2,000 posters) I need to get all these pieces that I've been avoiding all these years.  I also got a Shadow of a Doubt style D linenbacked poster.  Yes, linenbacked.  I have the style C folded and I have been waiting and waiting for the style D.  It is my favorite Hitchcock movie, and the Master's fav too.  The last one that sold was 10 years ago, also linenbacked, so I had no choice.  Also, the one sheet size is quite easy to store in a drawer, even linenbacked.  This is a perfect example of my "I had no choice" moment.

T
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 07:57:28 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline riley540

• Beginner
« Reply #11034 on: December 07, 2023, 09:46:22 PM »
So much went under value I feel. Philadelphia Story one sheet usually sells for 10k plus, and even fetched 30k at HA a few years back. Went for under 5k today!

I bought the Mr. Smith Goes to Washington insert. Love that movie and the poster doesn’t come around often.

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #11035 on: December 08, 2023, 10:09:38 AM »
Some auctioneers are very annoying .  I had a similar issue with the too fast hammer in an antique auction a few months ago.  Slow slow slow at the start of a few lots I was bidding on then they got a few bids and before I could even enter a number they ended them.  Maybe their friends or business associates were bidding and they wanted them to win  ???  Considering the prices antiques sell for in auctions compared to the extremely inflated prices they sell for in stores, it wouldn't surprise me.  Anyway, nice acquisitions, y'all.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #11036 on: December 08, 2023, 10:49:47 AM »
Nice wins there, chaps. Lovely looking posters.

Good luck if you're going for more today...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11037 on: December 08, 2023, 02:18:14 PM »
Just connected.  Super super low bidding.  So many posters for grab.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #11038 on: December 08, 2023, 03:47:36 PM »
Anyone get anything? Was busy today, couldn't partake. One got away from me that I wished I put an absentee on.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11039 on: December 08, 2023, 05:00:32 PM »
Got a few small things... Mostly collection fillers like Diamonds Are Forever 1sht, Raiders of the Lost Ark wilding and 1/2 sheet, a few Star Wars...

I am amazed at people paying more money for signed posters (Becket COA, please  ;D).  This continues to baffle me.

T
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 05:06:24 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #11040 on: December 08, 2023, 06:11:00 PM »
A few of those signatures are so bad.  I'm no "expert" on signatures, but some are just squiggly lines with no attempt to even make it look like a written name.  I've seen people sign stuff like that so I'm not saying they're all fake, but who really knows?  Something like that right in the middle of the artwork or just not well placed really detracts from the piece, whereas clearly legible signatures that seems more likely to be legit, can add to it, IMO.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 06:15:57 PM by Neo »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11041 on: December 08, 2023, 06:42:19 PM »
That’s the thing.  Signature experts… that’s some BS right there.  So many big names of the past had their assistants learn their signatures and use it at will.  And now people buy those signatures for a lot of money with zero guarantee it is legit.  I just don’t get it.

T
My Personal Collection

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #11042 on: December 08, 2023, 08:02:56 PM »

Signature experts…

There really is a stark contrast between fancy signatures and so much of the squiggly line junk all over eBay, etc.  For some of those fancy signatures, I think one could make a good case that it's authentic, especially stuff like documents, but just some random squiggly line with an unvalidated COA is pointless IMO.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 09:56:35 PM by Neo »

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #11043 on: December 09, 2023, 09:38:56 AM »
Thoughts on Propstore?  I thought the last guy was absolutely too fast with the hammer.  There were 3 items that I had to think about between bids and by the time I made up my mind it was over.  Like 2 seconds and done.  At the beginning, waaaaaaay to slow.  Like they were waiting sometimes 10 seconds before the hammer fell.  Also, seems like a lot of items were way under estimations.  I don't know if they were too high or if they didn't reach enough bidders.

T

I wanted that Nosferatu Italian poster. But seemed way too steep for my pockets. Oh well. Next time I guess..

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11044 on: December 09, 2023, 12:18:29 PM »
There really is a stark contrast between fancy signatures and so much of the squiggly line junk all over eBay, etc.  For some of those fancy signatures, I think one could make a good case that it's authentic, especially stuff like documents, but just some random squiggly line with an unvalidated COA is pointless IMO.

We've had this conversation multiple times in the past.  I personally see ALL signatures as fake.  Signatures are meant for the person they are signed for and I really do not comprehend what kind of enjoyment people get from scribbled lines they will 1) never know for sure are authentic and 2) were not meant for them.  But at the end of the day, I collect movie posters and 99% of sane individuals roll their eyes at it.  So who knows hahaha

T
My Personal Collection

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #11045 on: December 09, 2023, 03:07:52 PM »
Fortunately, I know for sure 95% of my autographed posters are not fake because I obtain the signatures directly from the person concerned. This afternoon Sofia Coppolla signed Virgin Suicides for me and Richard Curtis signed Love Actually - incorporating a Christmas tree in his autograph! I enjoy the brief interraction I have with such individuals and because I'm fussy about how and where I ask them to sign the poster they seem to recognise me as a genuine collector rather than a dubious dealer. I don't really understand either why people pay money for autographs they didn't obtain themselves, particularly if they are blindly trusting the verification provided by commercial companies.

Mark

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11046 on: December 09, 2023, 06:21:40 PM »
Well said, Mark.

If signatures are your gem, what you described is, to me of course, the ONLY way to get them.  In person.  Even if you and I were close friends and you decided to part with your signed posters, I wouldn't touch them because they were not signed to me.  I think I own 2 signed posters.  An Almost Famous poster signed by the entire cast that was the official Premiere poster and that I got while working at DreamWotks, and a Mad Max poster signed to me by George Miller (a very close friend to my of my best friends).

T
My Personal Collection

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #11047 on: December 09, 2023, 07:24:04 PM »

I personally see ALL signatures as fake.

It's understandable, considering the number of fakes, the bold marker pens that are much more easily faked nowadays, half-hearted signings, etc.  The signatures that I think are arguably the most historic are on stuff like documents, and have a "signature style"  :P like those on the Declaration of Independence.  As you said, though, to each their own.

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #11048 on: December 09, 2023, 07:30:29 PM »
Fortunately, I know for sure 95% of my autographed posters are not fake because I obtain the signatures directly from the person concerned. This afternoon Sofia Coppolla signed Virgin Suicides for me and Richard Curtis signed Love Actually - incorporating a Christmas tree in his autograph! I enjoy the brief interraction I have with such individuals and because I'm fussy about how and where I ask them to sign the poster they seem to recognise me as a genuine collector rather than a dubious dealer. I don't really understand either why people pay money for autographs they didn't obtain themselves, particularly if they are blindly trusting the verification provided by commercial companies.

Mark

Very cool, ML.  Sounds like you've met some famous folks and acquired some cool signatures.  I have a few autographs I acquired that way when I was a teenager.  It's just not my thing anymore.  I saw a video recently where a guy at an airport asked the lead of Third Eye Blind to sign stuff - he had a stack of records- and the Third Eye Blind guy quizzed him on names of their songs and stuff, then agreed to sign one with a personalized note to him.  It was an interesting interaction.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11049 on: December 09, 2023, 07:30:53 PM »
All true, Neo.

I collect books too, nothing extravagant like Holiday or Antoine do, but I have the (almost!!!) complete collection of Stephen King books (76 total, all first edition, first printing, mint copies and DJ, still missing 4) since I love movies and well, he's got something to say about movies.  Tons of books are signed by King, but I also stay away from them.  Fake, fake, fake, nothing easier than to replicate a signature.  People spend A LOT of money on those signed copies.  Tens of thousands of dollars.  The only time I buy them is when a special page has been added to the book for his signature.  That, I believe is real haha

T
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 07:34:09 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection