Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837253 times)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #10975 on: October 25, 2023, 01:26:56 PM »
this rings a bell...
likes to play games by bidding right at last second again and again?
tosser!
(apologies if i am mistaken)

Sounds annoying, extending the clock another 5 minutes each time, but also sounds like an effective bidding strategy  girly2.gif

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10976 on: October 25, 2023, 04:21:52 PM »
He seems to have endless funds (good for him, and like I said, doesn’t seem to care about condition and buys the same posters again and again.  I’m sure he’s a dealer.  He’s gotta be.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #10977 on: October 25, 2023, 06:47:48 PM »
Congrats Antoine!  Nice buy!!!

Thanks Thierry!  I've been looking for a folded copy of the blue version (which I consider to be the better of the 2 versions) of that poster for a while, as most examples that turn up on the market are usually on linen.  Did you get anything from that auction?

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #10978 on: October 25, 2023, 06:48:52 PM »
Please ignore the confusing formatting in my previous post, it looks like I'm quoting myself, lol!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10979 on: October 25, 2023, 06:53:52 PM »
Thanks Thierry!  I've been looking for a folded copy of the blue version (which I consider to be the better of the 2 versions) of that poster for a while, as most examples that turn up on the market are usually on linen.  Did you get anything from that auction?

Nothing worth mentioning, unfortunately.  Place holders.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10980 on: October 26, 2023, 06:46:01 PM »

Still wondering what this is  ???

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10981 on: October 26, 2023, 06:52:32 PM »

Check Bruce's last auction, sort it by price, it's #1.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #10982 on: October 26, 2023, 08:49:03 PM »

Sorry, I guess it's not entirely clear what poster Thierry and I are discussing: it's the Plan 9 from Outer Space OS that was in the Part 1 of Bruce's Halloween's auction.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10983 on: October 26, 2023, 09:36:04 PM »
Check Bruce's last auction, sort it by price, it's #1.

T

Sorry, I guess it's not entirely clear what poster Thierry and I are discussing: it's the Plan 9 from Outer Space OS that was in the Part 1 of Bruce's Halloween's auction.

Ok I don't know how I missed that.  Interesting description "arguably the worst movie ever."  I've heard of the film but never seen it.  It must have some redeeming qualities for the high demand.  In any case, congrats A.

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #10984 on: October 26, 2023, 11:19:10 PM »
Ok I don't know how I missed that.  Interesting description "arguably the worst movie ever."  I've heard of the film but never seen it.  It must have some redeeming qualities for the high demand.  In any case, congrats A.

It's in fact a terrible movie, but its amateurish ineptitude is highly enjoyable and is precisely what has caused it to develop a cult following over the years.  That, and the fact that it has Bela Lugosi in his final role, alongside Thor Johnson and Maila Nurmi, directed by Ed Wood, himself often described as the worst director in the history of film.  It's pretty much the archetype of a "so bad it's good" type of movie.     

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10985 on: October 27, 2023, 01:55:20 PM »
It's in fact a terrible movie, but its amateurish ineptitude is highly enjoyable and is precisely what has caused it to develop a cult following over the years.  That, and the fact that it has Bela Lugosi in his final role, alongside Thor Johnson and Maila Nurmi, directed by Ed Wood, himself often described as the worst director in the history of film.  It's pretty much the archetype of a "so bad it's good" type of movie.     

I see what you mean.  Interesting with Mr. Lugosi's last film, etc.  That one sheet is probably on the higher end of demand for the "so bad it's good" films, especially being the blue style.  Nice win.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #10986 on: October 28, 2023, 01:40:06 AM »
I see what you mean.  Interesting with Mr. Lugosi's last film, etc.  That one sheet is probably on the higher end of demand for the "so bad it's good" films, especially being the blue style.  Nice win.

The highest demand.  It is the original, quintessential of that small (but always growing) subgenre.  The founding member.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 01:41:51 AM by kovacs01 »
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10987 on: October 29, 2023, 04:56:03 PM »
A few years ago, I think some folks would've been saying OMG, WTF, etc.  However, nowadays this seems to be an increasing trend with various video posters.  I won one of these several years ago for a small fraction of this, because I like the artwork, one of few in my humble collection I haven't seen the movie.  These recent sales are rolled, so it's not a perfect comparison.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10988 on: October 29, 2023, 05:33:33 PM »
A few years ago, I think some folks would've been saying OMG, WTF, etc.

I still say OMG, WTF, etc.

T

My Personal Collection

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10989 on: October 29, 2023, 07:50:20 PM »
I still say OMG, WTF, etc.

T

rofl1

To each their own, of course.  I don't know if these will be an example similar to Universal horror, etc. that could be had a few decades ago for .01%  or less of current sales, but it's interesting to see how trends change. 

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10990 on: October 29, 2023, 09:24:20 PM »
but it's interesting to see how trends change.

Yes for sure.  Trends are changing and will keep changing as we all get older.  What 80s posters sell for nowadays is totally bonkers to me, but certainly part of a trend.  I can see middle of the road 40s-60s posters completely disappearing for lack of interest in movies people have never seen and will never see.  The great movies, the ones with recognizable starts, will retain some value of course, but the rest will be forgotten.

80s home video obviously represents a moment in time people are nostalgic about.  It totally makes sense, but it is no less baffling.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10991 on: October 29, 2023, 10:02:38 PM »
Yes for sure.  Trends are changing and will keep changing as we all get older.  What 80s posters sell for nowadays is totally bonkers to me, but certainly part of a trend.  I can see middle of the road 40s-60s posters completely disappearing for lack of interest in movies people have never seen and will never see.  The great movies, the ones with recognizable starts, will retain some value of course, but the rest will be forgotten.

80s home video obviously represents a moment in time people are nostalgic about.  It totally makes sense, but it is no less baffling.

T

It's not all about big name titles and stars IMO.  Look at some of the beauteous artworks of Attack of the 50 Foot Woman, etc.  Many of them have carved out a niche commanding high prices with their artwork, while the movies they represent are not as highly regarded as popular movies of the time. You're probably right though that it's part of a nostalgic time for the folks who collect them.  As time goes on, it seems more folks are drawn to the latter parts of the 20th century and early 2000s.  Many of these folks were not even born until the 1990s and 2000+, so it's different for them than the traditional idea of nostalgia.  With that in mind I think this trend may continue for a while.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 10:04:11 PM by Neo »

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10992 on: October 31, 2023, 12:29:01 AM »
I confess I was one of those to buy one of those rolled Mutant Hunt video posters. I didn’t pay 100 bucks, the seller made me an offer which I happily accepted. Before buying, I did look up Emovieposter’s archive to get a sense of pricing and the examples Bruce has sold were a lot less, although as Neo notes, those were folded.
There are a handful of video posters on my want list, of which Mutant Hunt was one, and finding them rolled is near impossible so I was happy to bite the bullet on it.
But I agree with the general sentiment that 80s gear in particular is going bananas. It’s not just BTTF or Goonies either. I have missed out on rolled one-sheets for Chopping Mall and Silent Night Deadly Night at Emovie because as much as I love the artwork, I don’t have bottomless sacks of cash to throw at them. (And don’t even talk to me about Sleepaway Camp, already mentioned around these parts.)
But if anyone on here wants to offload rolled video posters for Death Spa or Headless Eyes, hit me up!
And it’s worth saying, these titles appeal to me largely because of the artwork rather than because of a reverence for the films they are promoting. Chopping Mall happens to be a fun B-movie in my view. I have never even seen Death Spa but the poster is amazing to me (link below for the curious). I am in my early 50s so I guess I share in that nostalgia for the VHS era that is fuelling all this 80s boom. And I totally understand why some collectors think the current trend is a nonsense.

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-death-spa-1989-shapiro-glickenhaus-entertainmentcourtesy-everett-collection-72382186.html

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10993 on: October 31, 2023, 12:41:46 AM »
And in the WTF department, I give you...  This one cannot be worth more than $50.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10994 on: October 31, 2023, 12:55:42 AM »
Words fail me.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10995 on: October 31, 2023, 03:03:03 PM »

There are a handful of video posters on my want list, of which Mutant Hunt was one, and finding them rolled is near impossible so I was happy to bite the bullet on it.

Yeah I can't recall seeing any sales for rolled copies.  Congrats on the win, and good to see fellow video store enthusiasts here.   cool1

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10996 on: October 31, 2023, 03:18:48 PM »
And in the WTF department, I give you...  This one cannot be worth more than $50.

Maybe seller loyalty has something to do with these sales that are several times what they generally sell for.  If someone (or at least 2 people in this case since it was an auction) had to buy from this specific seller, maybe they were willing to go all in on it, maybe thinking it could be years before another appeared for sale by that seller. 

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10997 on: November 01, 2023, 11:37:35 PM »
Yeah I can't recall seeing any sales for rolled copies.  Congrats on the win, and good to see fellow video store enthusiasts here.   cool1

Thanks, Neo. Appreciate it. I have to say, I think video posters are massively under appreciated. There are a lot of great ones with unique artwork (as seen on the separate video posters thread on APF).

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #10998 on: November 02, 2023, 07:45:53 AM »
Thanks, Neo. Appreciate it. I have to say, I think video posters are massively under appreciated. There are a lot of great ones with unique artwork (as seen on the separate video posters thread on APF).

Agree, it's nice to see them getting some love. Keep sharing please. The 'too gory for the silver screen' logo on the Mutant Hunt is something I hadn't noticed before, was it commonly used on video posters from this era?

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #10999 on: November 02, 2023, 07:56:22 AM »
A few weeks ago, this Japanese B0 for Coppola's Dracula film sold for ¥564,000 (~$3800). Eiko Ishioka won the Oscar for her costume designs for the film and she is credited along with Haruo Takino for the design of the poster.

It's a pretty scarce poster, it's quite hard to find a decent image of it on the internet (the commonly found image on the web seems to be a composite with a wonky join). You can see it displayed at this Eiko Ishioka exhibition from a couple of years ago, along with another Dracula B0 poster and the famous 2 x Apocalypse Now B0 posters by Ishioka and Takino (I found that photo from this site's review of the exhibition - https://www.cinepre.biz/archives/28130)

« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 08:10:47 AM by Tob »