Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837760 times)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #10925 on: August 27, 2023, 10:36:27 PM »
I forgot to bid on this one, that sold for $178, not that it would have made a difference in the final price.  faint2.gif  However, it's the only B1 I've seen, very cool design, and movie, and probably very few of these out there. 

Why wouldn't there be many of them out there? It's a brand new poster
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10926 on: August 27, 2023, 11:26:19 PM »
Were the first 40th anniversary screenings for this in Japan a few months ago? The first several screenings in the USA for the 4k restoration/40th anniversary go back as far as February in the USA.  2023 is the 40th anniversary and it's almost 2/3 into 2023 and I have not seen a single other one.  For a limited release like this, it's probably only showing in select theaters, compared to huge release movies like Star Wars.  Even with Star Wars, there are relatively few Japanese B1s.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 12:51:33 AM by Neo »

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10927 on: August 28, 2023, 02:49:34 PM »
Why wouldn't there be many of them out there? It's a brand new poster

After some quick research, it looks like this poster was created for the release at a chain of theaters, 17 total (maybe not all of them screening it), for the June 16th release.  How many B1s would be printed for such a limited release?  What percentage of those would potentially end up in the market? 

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #10928 on: August 28, 2023, 11:40:26 PM »
Here's my Brando style BO.

Mark

Mine is on the wall, but behind a screen most of the time.

Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10929 on: August 29, 2023, 07:08:05 PM »
Looks good on display there, Schan.  It's cool that some folks here have that B0  cool1
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 07:23:59 PM by Neo »

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10930 on: August 29, 2023, 07:23:08 PM »
I'm pretty sure this one is extremely rare - artwork by Noriyoshi Ohrai on the Japanese video poster for the TV series V (1984), that sold for $178 a month ago:

Beautiful artwork of the New York City skyline, the UFOs, alien eyes, etc.

Excellent article with a lot of great photos of an Ohrai exhibit, by fellow APF star Ed_209uk:
https://www.filmonpaper.com/blog/visiting-noriyoshi-ohrai-exhibition-japan/

« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 08:07:14 PM by Neo »

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10931 on: August 29, 2023, 09:30:33 PM »
I'm pretty sure this one is extremely rare - artwork by Noriyoshi Ohrai on the Japanese video poster for the TV series V (1984), that sold for $178 a month ago:

Where do you get these great exchange rates? Every time I try to send money to Japan the rate is always 2-5% worse than "true" exchange rate, and this holds whether by bank or using a "no fee" card like AmEx.

www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Heather_Mason_SH3

• Beginner
« Reply #10932 on: August 29, 2023, 09:32:32 PM »
There were so many great posters in the Tuesday auction for eMoviePoster but I failed to get any of them.
But...why am I bidding hundreds of dollars on a poster for a movie I've never seen? faint2.gif
Perhaps it's best I lost. Doh.gif
I don't know if the six sheets I wanted will ever be available again, but next time they will be mine!
I'll have to see how the Thursday auctions and Sunday auctions go. Less desirable stuff but still stuff I want anyway.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10933 on: August 29, 2023, 09:56:45 PM »
Definitely some interesting results tonight.  In the quick flip gone wrong category, we have this Werewolf of London card which someone purchased in April of this year from Heritage for $2,160:

And the less than desired result from Emovie of $1,900:

But at the other end of the spectrum. You have this insane Dracula's Daughter result of $5,250 for a card that isn't remotely as rare as the auction hyperbole states. Wowzers

« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 09:58:25 PM by crowzilla »
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10934 on: August 29, 2023, 10:05:21 PM »
Where do you get these great exchange rates? Every time I try to send money to Japan the rate is always 2-5% worse than "true" exchange rate, and this holds whether by bank or using a "no fee" card like AmEx.

Why would anyone give a thoughtful response to your snarky questions?

Then yet another one of your amazing posts to say an item "sold" for more $ somewhere other than eMovie.  Wowsers, indeed   thumbsup.gif
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 10:28:43 PM by Neo »

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10935 on: August 29, 2023, 10:30:04 PM »
Why would anyone give a thoughtful response to your snarky questions?

Wasn't being snarky at all. You stated a price in USD an item sold for; and I simply said I would love to be able to get that sort of exchange on my Japanese purchases, which is 100% true.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #10936 on: August 31, 2023, 01:06:47 AM »
Wasn't being snarky at all. You stated a price in USD an item sold for; and I simply said I would love to be able to get that sort of exchange on my Japanese purchases, which is 100% true.

When I lived there, I got the true exchange rate. 
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Online pcarnette

• Beginner
  • Boldy Going... Into Debt
« Reply #10937 on: August 31, 2023, 09:59:23 AM »

Beautiful artwork of the New York City skyline, the UFOs, alien eyes, etc.

Excellent article with a lot of great photos of an Ohrai exhibit, by fellow APF star Ed_209uk:
https://www.filmonpaper.com/blog/visiting-noriyoshi-ohrai-exhibition-japan/

Oh, wow. Those V posters are cool! Thanks for sharing. Sorry, I'm coming into this thread way late. What site are you guys referencing for the Japanese posters?

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10938 on: August 31, 2023, 10:30:52 AM »
The last few sales I mentioned in this thread were at Yahoo Japan.

Online pcarnette

• Beginner
  • Boldy Going... Into Debt
« Reply #10939 on: August 31, 2023, 11:28:25 AM »
Thanks!

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #10940 on: August 31, 2023, 03:42:02 PM »
Sleepaway already at $1900.. guess I’ll never get that poster back.

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10941 on: August 31, 2023, 04:21:36 PM »
Sleepaway already at $1900.. guess I’ll never get that poster back.

This should be in the mid-auctions thread; who knows what price it'll realize in a few hours?  girly2.gif

Considering it's condition, etc. that Bruce mentioned, it'll probably be one of the highest if not the highest known result.  There are at least a few in collections so another may appear for sale, especially with folks possibly wanting to cash in after seeing this sale, but possibly in lesser condition and a lower price, at some point.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 05:06:02 PM by Neo »

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10942 on: September 08, 2023, 03:06:28 PM »
A few recent sales of this Taylor Swift double-sided one sheet.  I think it's a nice portrait of Ms. Swift.  A guy on a Facebook forum mentioned that they used a photo of her with a "sex doll mouth."   mesmrized  That says more about him than the photo, IMO.  The post appears to be deleted.

With the recent Eras concert tour - possibly the highest-grossing tour of all time, the highest pre-sale movie ticket sales from AMC - $26 million in the first 24 hours, the movie expected to gross over $100 million its first weekend, etc. this one will probably be in high demand.  There's one on eBay with a current bid of $50.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #10943 on: September 29, 2023, 02:49:47 PM »
If ba589589 who picked up the weird sexploitation posters last night and feels guilty and wants to get rid of them, please PM me.  I totally missed the auction.

Bruce FYI, these are almost certainly Canadian. A couple of hints, 28 x 42 is standard Canadian size and the GUNILLA mentions "Après ski" (with accent on the e) which is a Quebec comedy flick from 1971.   Also, who else would have come up with the the tag line "Cold winter days-- hot winter nights"?  ;D

From the description:

Note that this is one of ten very unusual sexploitation one-sheets we are currently auctioning in 10 separate auctions. What makes them unusual? All are from between 1966 and 1972, with most being from right around 1968. All were either directed or produced by one Nick Millard (sometimes under a pseudonym). The 10 posters were found together, and were all unfolded, so it seems quite likely the person who distributed these movies also had his own supply of the one-sheets, no doubt so that he could given them to theaters that booked the movies (these movies were not distributed through the NSS or poster exchanges). We have auctioned exactly one each of six of them one time before and four of them we have never auctioned before, so they are certainly extremely rare! Finally, note that nine of these are black and white, and all ten of them are printed on a somewhat "newer" paper that at first glance looks like it could be from later than the 1960s or 1970s, but we are certain these are from the original dates the movies were released, and that whoever printed these posters used whatever paper they could get, which was different from many one-sheets of this time. This is a rare opportunity to purchase one or many of these extremely rare sexploitation posters!

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10944 on: September 29, 2023, 05:25:49 PM »
Then yet another one of your amazing posts to say an item "sold" for more $ somewhere other than eMovie.  Wowsers, indeed   thumbsup.gif

I didn't even see this part of your post. You really read what you want to don't you? The wowzers was to an incredibly high result that Emovie got that is multiples of what the same piece has sold for at any other venue. No one else has come close to that result (last Heritage result was less than half the emovie price, and a few years prior Heritage sold one for 10% of this result).

I'm just hoping these crazy bidders don't find out about his upcoming Halloween auction (in three parts, starting October 3rd), so that I'll still be able to afford things in it.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #10945 on: September 29, 2023, 09:31:43 PM »

I'm just hoping these crazy bidders don't find out about his upcoming Halloween auction (in three parts, starting October 3rd), so that I'll still be able to afford things in it.

You are mentioning the auction location, start date, and number of parts because you want people to ignore it so that you may be able to afford things in it.  That makes perfect sense!  Obfuscation at its finest.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 12:56:25 AM by kovacs01 »
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10946 on: September 30, 2023, 06:18:50 AM »
I didn't even see this part of your post. You really read what you want to don't you? The wowzers was to an incredibly high result that Emovie got that is multiples of what the same piece has sold for at any other venue. No one else has come close to that result (last Heritage result was less than half the emovie price, and a few years prior Heritage sold one for 10% of this result).

So "wowsers" was for that part and not your usual "flip gone wrong" for an auction at eMovie that had recently "sold" for more at another auction house.  Great.  Thanks for the clarification.  thumbsup.gif

You are mentioning the auction location, start date, and number of parts because you want people to ignore it so that you may be able to afford things in it.  That makes perfect sense!  Obfuscation at its finest.

rofl1
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 06:21:01 AM by Neo »

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10947 on: September 30, 2023, 12:58:09 PM »
So "wowsers" was for that part and not your usual "flip gone wrong" for an auction at eMovie that had recently "sold" for more at another auction house. 

I can't remember ever posting another "flip gone wrong" illustration from eMovie. Can you show even a single example?
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10948 on: September 30, 2023, 01:08:50 PM »

One other note about the Let It Be set that someone else mentioned. That was originally my set and I sold it through Movie Poster Exchange to help Peter out when he was beginning (you can see one of the cards here https://www.movieposterexchange.com/buy.php?mode=poster_details&auction_id=3484). I think the total he got for them was just under $700 - not Heritage high prices, but not bad for a new auction site.
The buyer turned around and tried to flip them with Bruce, and took a bath. You can see the result for the first four cards here (http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/14897134.html).
I think it is interesting the Bruce gave them graded of "Very Good to Fine", implying his grading system is much tighter than CGC, when of course just the opposite is true.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 01:21:43 PM by Neo »

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10949 on: September 30, 2023, 01:45:12 PM »
LOL - so you had to go back a decade to find a "usual" example?  faint2.gif
No wonder I don't remember it, but thanks for the reminder.
www.Kaijuposters.com