Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838086 times)

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #825 on: January 13, 2011, 03:13:08 AM »
Was anyone else surprised at how much the Star Wars Hildebrant quad sold for on emovieposter

Such prices for these posters baffles me... I collect posters around the 50s. There must be a blockage in my brain that cant make sense why people would pay that much for a star wars poster, let alone one that looks like it was rolled up and used as a fly swat

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #826 on: January 13, 2011, 07:54:44 AM »
Found this post about a guy three years who bought the Hildebrandt quad for $25 and sold it for $1600 on Ebay.

Harry, linen-backing wouldn't fix those issues?  Maybe I don't know enough about it but that looks like it fits the "perfect candidate for linen-backing" bill with some additional moderate restoration.

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #827 on: January 13, 2011, 05:02:04 PM »
Found this post about a guy three years who bought the Hildebrandt quad for $25 and sold it for $1600 on Ebay.

Wow.  Nice profit on that one.  Impressive that you managed to dig up that thread, Mel.

A restorer can help it greatly no doubt. But linen backing won't fix a crinkled black quad.

It would probably be impossible to predict how it would look after being restored, but I honestly don't know how much of an improvement would be made from a good restoration.  Maybe someday I will score a poster like that and see what kind of magic can be performed on it.

Such prices for these posters baffles me... I collect posters around the 50s. There must be a blockage in my brain that cant make sense why people would pay that much for a star wars poster, let alone one that looks like it was rolled up and used as a fly swat

That mentality applies to anything collectible, 50s.  I think the best one liner for it is "one person's trash is another's treasure."
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 05:34:14 PM by NeoLoco »

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #828 on: January 13, 2011, 06:08:36 PM »
That mentality applies to anything collectible, 50s.  I think the best one liner for it is "one person's trash is another's treasure."

My local poster dealer says I'm nuts collecting mexican lobby cards. 'They are the rats of the poster world' he says. They probably are, but for some odd reason, I like 'em.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #829 on: January 13, 2011, 06:37:14 PM »
My local poster dealer says I'm nuts collecting mexican lobby cards. 'They are the rats of the poster world' he says. They probably are, but for some odd reason, I like 'em.

they are the bacterium of the rats of the poster world

spew

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #830 on: January 13, 2011, 06:39:24 PM »
I should mention that relating to full disclosure: I do have some bacterium in my own collection. It might be time to do some house cleaning so they don't infect the rest of my posters

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #831 on: January 13, 2011, 07:35:23 PM »
I like them, or rather I like some of them, same with any format.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Bruce

« Reply #832 on: January 14, 2011, 06:59:10 AM »
Many really strong results in our auctions of unfolded (or tri-folded or formerly folded) one-sheets last night.

1980s posters are HOT, baby!

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/12.html

Bruce

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #833 on: January 14, 2011, 07:16:35 AM »
Your site is offline at the moment

Bruce

« Reply #834 on: January 14, 2011, 07:24:43 AM »
It went down right after I posted. It should be back up soon.

This was a planned outage. We are upgrading to a far better server, to prepare for our very soon unveiling of our combined sales results and image archives!

Try again in a little while.

Bruce

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #835 on: January 14, 2011, 10:33:57 AM »
It went down right after I posted. It should be back up soon.

This was a planned outage. We are upgrading to a far better server, to prepare for our very soon unveiling of our combined sales results and image archives!

Try again in a little while.

Bruce

Sweet!

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #836 on: January 14, 2011, 02:31:47 PM »
late 70's to 80's should be in their sweet spot right now as people are hitting their prime earning years that were kids then.

Could someone break Jaws1975 fingers so they cant bid the next time the rolled stuff comes around.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #837 on: January 14, 2011, 02:55:42 PM »

Could someone break Jaws1975 fingers so they cant bid the next time the rolled stuff comes around.

laugh1

That reminds me. There was a bidder who won between 100-150 auctions on emovie tuesday night. WTF was up with that? ....Wish I had that kinda cash to just buy anything I wanted.  8)

Maybe that happens alot but I never noticed it before. Could be cause this guy was bidding in the last minute and extending the auctions.  8)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #838 on: January 15, 2011, 12:19:48 AM »
I've had a tough time buying too.  There's obviously a lot more people running after Bruce's auctions than there has been. Good for Bruce, though!  Here's one that really surprised me:

It sold for $327.  True, it's a great advertising poster and I ran at it hard to get it, but when I can't win something, that's really saying that it's getting hard.  Not many would chase a poster as long as I will in an auction if I really want it.

I keep telling myself what Thierry says - be patient and it'll come along cheaper. I've spent a lot on a poster only to have it come up again in a few weeks and sell for a 10th or less than it first did when everyone thought it would not come around again.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #839 on: January 15, 2011, 08:32:20 AM »
late 70's to 80's should be in their sweet spot right now as people are hitting their prime earning years that were kids then.

Very interesting insight. I just wonder what JAWS1975 does for a living for so much disposable income. I also noticed a bidder with the id HIJAWS1975. Pretty funny.

It appears someone got this Goonies for a steal (if it is the real deal) $28!
http://cgi.ebay.com/GOONIES-ORIGINAL-MOVIE-POSTER-/270689660669?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f065c6efd
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #840 on: January 15, 2011, 08:48:42 AM »
That Goonies is the real thing.

The price is a deal for sure, but to be honest, most one sheets in this style are rolled, and can be had for at or around $100.  I sold a few over a year ago for $75 a pop (all rolled).  Regardless, I think that explains the price on the folded one here...who wants those creases in this particular instance?
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #841 on: January 15, 2011, 08:58:53 AM »
I am holding out for a map style Goonies.  Creases do not deter me and if it saves me $50 I would probably prefer it.  You don't happen to have any folded map styles to unload do you Ben?

Conor
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #842 on: January 15, 2011, 09:18:42 AM »
Conor, sorry...no map style.

Creases bother me on the more recent glossy paper stock (70s and up) because the paper flakes off much easier and the lines stick out more...to me, anyway.  I have a rolled mint Spy Who Loved Me OS...cannot imagine owning it folded, I think it would ruin that design, but that is just me.  It varies by the poster, of course.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #843 on: January 15, 2011, 10:38:45 PM »
Who the ^&%* has 58,000+ feedback on Ebay? 

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #844 on: January 15, 2011, 10:42:43 PM »

Good luck winning this

• Post-aholic
« Reply #845 on: January 16, 2011, 03:51:18 AM »

Mel

Bruce has something like 78,000 and he hasn't sold on ebay in 3 years
there are many sellers with huge feedback and at least two with over a million feedback

this one has 1.83 million
http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/everydaysource
the most incredible thing is with all that feedback and they have a 4.9 rating in all categories

-------

Bruce

« Reply #846 on: January 16, 2011, 08:56:31 AM »
Rich

eBay fudges the ratings for its giant sellers. The negs and neutrals get "neutralized" in some way that can't be done for ordinary sellers. Just one more perk of being a Diamond Seller! It is regularly discussed on eBay discussion boards (but it you are too blunt about how you talk about it, you get banned for life from their boards, as I was).

eBay was founded on the principles that people are basically good, and all sellers are equal. Now you are only good if you agree with eBay, and all sellers are still equal, but some are more equal than others. Pierre would be rolling in his grave, if he weren't still alive.

Bruce

• Post-aholic
« Reply #847 on: January 16, 2011, 03:45:40 PM »
you get no argument from me on that point Bruce
fleaBay sux

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #848 on: January 16, 2011, 03:52:12 PM »
oh Bruce.. to add to that.. when the fleaBay bru-ha-ha on my original high fb sellers account blew up (assholes cut me off for another stupid thing [super-long story], I needed to show them receipts for anything I wanted to sell etc - a mirror of your own issues in some ways) I never took the time to reopen the account, because I didn't care. I even had an outstanding balance I hadn't paid (not very much)

well, fleaBay was so desperate  for new sellers, a fleaBay rep called me up out of the blue  and asked me if I wanted to start selling again and they cancelled out my old balance and removed the stupid notes for why they cut my account to make me feel better. Of course, I told them no, and that account is still closed.

I might have reopened it if I had time to list stuff just to redirect to MPB, but I don't have any extra time so I didn't bother. Surprisingly, I think fleaBay has actually "stemmed the flow of blood" pretty much. But everyone still hates them

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #849 on: January 16, 2011, 06:40:44 PM »
Titanic international went for $165 today.  Anybody ever seen this before?  Maybe it's an international re-release poster since it shows the ending.

UPDATE: This is the international soundtrack poster, according to Eat French Cheese's site ;D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 06:53:04 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »