Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838068 times)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #9700 on: March 30, 2018, 06:06:03 PM »
well as annoying as it might be, it has nothing to do with you and/or one particular poster - its part of an overall strategy.  Ideally I would have large sums of cash to place on various posters simultaneously... but this is all I got.  That, and a super large penis, which I also have.

Sorry to bring this back up days later.  I was in the hospital without access :(

Sorry, Vick.  I don't buy your strategy.  If you have 3 cards coming close to your budget and you are approaching the 5 minute mark, it is time to do some triage.  If there are active bidders, it is time to decide which 1 (or 2) you really want and put your resources there.  The odds of winning all three are nil, and I would end up feeling worst if I won my #3 choice simply because it closed last.

The lobby in my first post was for a High Society title card.  I was high with $150 with 10 seconds to go.  I finally let the guy have it at $220.  Normally, I wouldn't have bid much more than the $150, but the guy pissed me off.  I made him pay $50 more than Bruce has ever auctioned that card for.
-Jay-

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #9701 on: March 30, 2018, 09:11:01 PM »
What I don't buy is how keeping an auction going by raising the increment (which is essentially what an auction is) can be considered annoying or stupid. 

On ebay you HAVE TO put in your max bid no matter what because the auction hammers down exactly at a given time, so make sure your max bid is in by that time or you lose.  But on emovie you don't have to do that, you can simply raise the increment and keep the auction going, ie, what an auction is supposed to be like for those who've gone to real auctions. 

If poster A is currently at $100, why would i "commit" to a max $200 bid if I don't have to? All that does in handcuff me vis-a-vis potential "other posters"... I would have to wait until the poster A auction is done to see if I win or not, before bidding again elsewhere so i run the risk of losing out elsewhere.  Makes more sense to drag it out, wait it out, keep some options on the table etc. If that's annoying to others, well, all's fair in love and posters...

And Jay, as weird as it sounds i hope you were in the hospital visiting someone else who was ill

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9702 on: March 30, 2018, 09:21:51 PM »
The lobby in my first post was for a High Society title card.  I was high with $150 with 10 seconds to go.  I finally let the guy have it at $220.  Normally, I wouldn't have bid much more than the $150, but the guy pissed me off.  I made him pay $50 more than Bruce has ever auctioned that card for.

I agree 100%.  Whoever bids within the last 10 seconds will pay.  I understand if you do it once, but if you keep doing it, I will make sure you end up paying way more than you should because the way I see it, you're fucking with me.

I never bid early, I bid at the 5 minute mark, a few seconds before if I can, and if someone overbids me and I still want the item, I bid within 5 seconds of receiving the email.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #9703 on: March 30, 2018, 10:15:13 PM »
So did you just put in 70 more right away or did you raise the increment back and forth a few times up to 220?

In any case I just wanted to clarify some of the reasoning behind last minute bidding, despite you and T seeing it as a personal affront...;D

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #9704 on: March 31, 2018, 09:23:55 AM »
So did you just put in 70 more right away or did you raise the increment back and forth a few times up to 220?

In any case I just wanted to clarify some of the reasoning behind last minute bidding, despite you and T seeing it as a personal affront...;D
Not a PERSONAL affront.  Simply bad manners to the community.

analyze it to your heart's content.  I work in the open under the handle lightdancing.
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9705 on: March 31, 2018, 01:55:28 PM »
Being a huge POTOpera (Chaney version) fan, I will look for and see what items might have come up or been sold in various places, whether they be posters, stills, or other scarce memorabilia.

Last night I came across this item that had been sold a few months back on emp. It's described as a modern re-strike photo created from an original negative from the film. When seeing this item for the first time last night, I knew the image looked familiar, but couldnt quite place where I had seen it. After doing a little more hunting around, I found what I was looking for.

This item is not a photographic re-strike from an original film negative from the 1925 movie. But a reproduced (and poorly, color-altered) scan of another piece of original artwork. 

It only sold for $14.00 last November.

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/9686068.html

The original of this item is an original oil painting, done by artist Daniel Horne, back in 2005 or so. He does amazing work, too, btw. (http://www.danielhornestudios.com/)

Here's Horne's original work, as a comparison:  notworthy.gif

« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 02:57:54 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #9706 on: March 31, 2018, 02:07:28 PM »
Being a huge POTOpera (Chaney version) fan, I will look for and see what items might have come up or been sold in various places, whether they be posters, stills, or other scarce memorabilia.

Last night I came across this item that had been sold a few months back on emp. It's described as a modern re-strike photo created from an original negative from the film. When seeing this item for the first time last night, I knew the image looked familiar, but couldnt quite place where I had seen it. After doing a little more hunting around, I found what I was looking for.

This item is not a photographic re-strike from an original film negative from the 1925 movie. But a reproduced (and poorly, color-altered) scan of another piece of original artwork. 

It only sold for $14.00 last November.

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/9686068.html

The original of this item is an original oil painting, done by artist Daniel Horne, back in 2005 or so. He does amazing work, too, btw. (http://www.danielhornestudios.com/)

Here's Horne's original work, as a comparison:  notworthy.gif

Great sleuthing, Jeff!  Your work is worthy of an award. As Stan Lee used to give out in those old comics, I think you at least deserve the coveted "No Prize"! Definitely work above and beyond....   Congrats!  Okie
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 02:58:19 PM by erik1925 »

guest4955

« Reply #9707 on: April 07, 2018, 10:25:30 AM »
HA SIG commences in 3.5 hrs, hopefully they'll employ the cool/fun auctioneer  bed1

I thought Brian/ATLFUN was insane for paying $5K for this 5 years ago but he gets the last laugh (not sure if this is his):

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #9708 on: April 07, 2018, 11:37:46 AM »
A year ago I predicted on this forum the HP Azkaban lenticular would be a $10,000 poster in 10 years. How wrong I was.

Mark

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9709 on: April 07, 2018, 11:57:54 AM »
And I still don’t understand.  What’s the appeal, Mark?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #9710 on: April 07, 2018, 01:07:52 PM »
And I still don’t understand.  What’s the appeal, Mark?

T

There's nothing particularly interesting about the poster - although I love the "Notify by Owl" advisory - it is simply that with the absurdly low number of posters, the millions of Harry Potter fans and certain generational demand for such an item in the future this one is going to continue to increase in value.

Mark

Offline Baleizao

• Beginner
« Reply #9711 on: April 07, 2018, 02:07:26 PM »
WTF is going on with the HA auction???  The auctioneer's closing prices are completely out of whack with the real time bidding price on their website!

Offline Baleizao

• Beginner
« Reply #9712 on: April 07, 2018, 02:19:48 PM »
Forget I asked!  I had my currency set at Canadian Dollars!

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #9715 on: April 07, 2018, 04:41:06 PM »
This is the only poster that I wanted to bid on in HA signature sale today, as there was too much linenbacked paper for my taste. 

I missed out on another copy of this Italian 2P for Revenge of the Creature at another auction 6 years ago (this one was on linen, which is why I decided not to get it), and I have been waiting to find another one ever since, so I'm pretty happy about today's acquisition.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9716 on: April 07, 2018, 04:43:49 PM »
Way to go, Ben!  thumbsup.gif

Un-backed, untouched, and it looks to be mighty fine condition, too.

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #9719 on: April 07, 2018, 06:52:52 PM »
This is the only poster that I wanted to bid on in HA signature sale today, as there was too much linenbacked paper for my taste. 

I missed out on another copy of this Italian 2P for Revenge of the Creature at another auction 6 years ago (this one was on linen, which is why I decided not to get it), and I have been waiting to find another one ever since, so I'm pretty happy about today's acquisition.

Really cool and huge at 4 foglio!  Okie

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9720 on: April 07, 2018, 06:59:18 PM »
$143,400.00   notworthy.gif

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/movie-posters/academy-award-winners/casablanca-warner-brothers-1947-first-post-war-french-release-double-grande-63-x-90-artwork-attributed-to-herve-morv/a/7178-86154.s

This is insane to me, because as nice as the Italians are, this French poster is atrocious.  There is nothing redeeming about it.  Awful drawing and colors.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9721 on: April 07, 2018, 07:01:06 PM »
The number is amazing..for sure.

But I agree... I think the art itself is pretty bad, and rather sub par. Poor Ingrid looks like vampire, with that bloodless complexion  who got socked in the eye.  Doh.gif

But those CASA folks... you know how they are.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 07:06:05 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #9722 on: April 07, 2018, 07:05:55 PM »
London After Midnight (1927) - Arg OS  -- DID NOT SELL!! Wow.

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/movie-posters/horror/london-after-midnight-mgm-1927-argentinean-one-sheet-29-x-43-a-wagener-artwork/a/7178-86220.s

Hi Eric, When the first Argentinean one sold, it was the only known large poster, right?  Since then three more large posters have come to public sale, including this one.  I was wondering, too, if it would sell.  Very cool image, though I've alway been concerned if a print of the movie is found would it hold up?  If it didn't hold up, how would that effect auction demand?  Of course there is always vice versa as well, eh?  Okie

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #9723 on: April 07, 2018, 10:17:08 PM »
My purchase from today.  Only time I've seen the style B HS
-Jay-

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9724 on: April 07, 2018, 10:49:34 PM »
Very nice, Jay!!!

T
My Personal Collection