Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2836892 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #9675 on: March 09, 2018, 07:33:53 PM »
I didn't know about the auction until Sean messaged me mid-stream.

I saw the Fritz Lang pieces and went to register, but the registration process took so long that I missed both lots I wanted

I bid on a Chaney set, but lost that

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #9676 on: March 09, 2018, 10:15:16 PM »
Had never even heard of this auction house.  Could not have this auction been popped up on the Events Thread?

Nice to have it on the radar now...

Its because people only out stuff when they dont plan on bidding on things.

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9677 on: March 11, 2018, 03:59:42 PM »
Julien's has been auctioning movie posters and memorabilia for quite some time....they generally have a dedicated group of floor and phone bidders...they have a following of big pocket individuals who (most likely) work in the industry....they also hobnob at the prop/Pre auction exhibit before the event

As I was watching the auction there was a female floor bidder on the earlier lots that was going over high estimate on several lots and the auctioneer kept remarking on her spirited bidding...I thought that was interesting
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 04:00:58 PM by Filmlobbycards »
Tait

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #9678 on: March 11, 2018, 08:40:56 PM »
Its because people only out stuff when they dont plan on bidding on things.

Fair play.

guest4955

« Reply #9679 on: March 16, 2018, 05:30:18 PM »
50+ watchers

HS not on HA but similar TLCs aplenty:

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #9680 on: March 20, 2018, 10:07:31 PM »
OMG, what the heck was going on with the bidders in Bruce's auction tonight?  Looking atones I was bidding heavy and ones I had decided to let go.
It seemed to me that a large percentage of the actions went into extended time.  I saw a couple of items where the bidder waited until 10 seconds left and then put in a bid bump of $10.  When that didn't work, they waited 4 minutes and bumped it another $10.

Don't these bidders understand the concept of extended time proxy bidding?  The top bid shown is unlikely to be the max bid at that point, and bidding it up $10 simply extends the bidding by another 5 minutes for no purpose.  I really wish Bruce's rules didn't extend bidding unless the new bid was enough to change high bidder.  Grrr.

I must admit I am some upset because one of these clowns took a poster where my max bid was about 40% over the proxy bid at the 5 minute mark and kept raising it 6 times over the next 30 minutes until he beat me down.  I try to be a reasonable and courteous bidder.  I know I will get outbid sometimes and accept that.  But this micky mouse kaka really pissed me off.

BTW, it wasn't just that bid.  Way too much went 2-4 rounds into extended bidding tonight.
-Jay-

guest4955

« Reply #9681 on: March 23, 2018, 09:40:47 PM »
"The details of your incompetence do not concern me."

guest4955

« Reply #9682 on: March 23, 2018, 09:51:40 PM »

My singularly unimportant and random thoughts about the mysterious goings-on....

- I remembered one face had been 100% re-illustrated from the press book ... but guessed the wrong one!
- Why resell after just 4 years?
- How the hell did auction price triple?

http://moviepostercollectors.guide/Stories.html

guest4955

« Reply #9683 on: March 25, 2018, 10:16:34 PM »
Nice and unusually groovy....

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #9684 on: March 26, 2018, 12:10:07 AM »
- How the hell did auction price triple?

I can only answer part of your query, though not sure why all the questions matter. People sell things all the time, estate planning, get tired of it, want something else, whatever. It's not unusual at all.
But as to why the price went up - money isn't that big an issue to a billionaire that wants to impress his Hollywood friends.
http://deadline.com/2018/03/red-granite-forfeit-60-million-malaysian-fund-investigation-1202312755/
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9685 on: March 26, 2018, 10:46:40 AM »
I saw a couple of items where the bidder waited until 10 seconds left and then put in a bid bump of $10.  When that didn't work, they waited 4 minutes and bumped it another $10.

Don't these bidders understand the concept of extended time proxy bidding?

I had one of those idiots go after an item I wanted a few auctions ago.  He did it three or four times, and then I stopped watching.  I checked after the auction was over and I had won it, and he did it 12 times, all within 10 seconds of the end of the item.  Can't figure out why, so I call it pure stupidity.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9686 on: March 26, 2018, 10:51:46 AM »

I thought about going after it, but the condition was really too poor for my taste.  I'm glad I didn't, because it went way over what it's worth.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9687 on: March 26, 2018, 12:37:09 PM »
Belgian 1950s RR for Frankenstein, with Glenn Strange standing in for Karloff, went for $430.20 last night on HA

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/horror/frankenstein-universal-r-1950s-trimmed-belgian-145-x-19-bos-artwork-horror/a/161812-54147.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #9688 on: March 27, 2018, 12:17:46 AM »
OMG, what the heck was going on with the bidders in Bruce's auction tonight?  Looking atones I was bidding heavy and ones I had decided to let go.
It seemed to me that a large percentage of the actions went into extended time.  I saw a couple of items where the bidder waited until 10 seconds left and then put in a bid bump of $10.  When that didn't work, they waited 4 minutes and bumped it another $10.

Don't these bidders understand the concept of extended time proxy bidding?  The top bid shown is unlikely to be the max bid at that point, and bidding it up $10 simply extends the bidding by another 5 minutes for no purpose.  I really wish Bruce's rules didn't extend bidding unless the new bid was enough to change high bidder.  Grrr.

I must admit I am some upset because one of these clowns took a poster where my max bid was about 40% over the proxy bid at the 5 minute mark and kept raising it 6 times over the next 30 minutes until he beat me down.  I try to be a reasonable and courteous bidder.  I know I will get outbid sometimes and accept that.  But this micky mouse kaka really pissed me off.

BTW, it wasn't just that bid.  Way too much went 2-4 rounds into extended bidding tonight.
I had one of those idiots go after an item I wanted a few auctions ago.  He did it three or four times, and then I stopped watching.  I checked after the auction was over and I had won it, and he did it 12 times, all within 10 seconds of the end of the item.  Can't figure out why, so I call it pure stupidity.

T

I guess I should defend myself here as an “idiot” because I do this “stupidity” all the time.  Let’s say you have 3 posters you want in an auction, A, B and C.  You’ve budgeted at $150 overall but don’t know how high the posters will go for various reasons.  If you put in a max bid at $50 each on A, B, and C, you are quickly outbid and you get nothing.  You can’t put a max of 100 or 150 on each because you run the risk of blowing the bank altogether, e.g. let’s say you win all 3 at $133, $140 and $125, you’ve just spent $398! 

So yes you have to play out one auction at a time, and keep doing so until you can land (possibly) one of the posters safely within more or less your price range.  When the posters are all closing within minutes (or seconds) of each other, it gets even more tricky. So in short, your purchasing poster A, B or C are entirely interrelated, and (real) time bound.  Another variable is that you always go over your budget (we all do, right?) so the $150 you started with may actually become 175 or $200 “in the heat of the moment”, which means, yes, you bump up the bid to see if your “last I swear THE LAST” increment will be the one to make the difference. 

There’s also the fact that you can play this AGAINST someone who is also in a somewhat similar situation (e.g chasing different posters closing at different times, but also only able to afford a limited number) I know this because 1- I’ve done it, but also because 2- its happened to me.  Imagine the above described scenario, but when you are chasing 10, or 20 posters... 5 minutes goes by real fast and next thing you know, by the time you get back to one particular poster, the bloody auction has closed. That is why I bid when only 5 minutes + 3 seconds left, so it doesn't get sent to extended time, and I might catch the other guy off guard and snag it from right under his nose.

All this to say its a bit more nuanced than that fellas.  Glad I could enlighten you. 

Besides, if you guys are putting your high bid in and going to bed, why is it so irritating that it goes to extended time a few times? hmmm.gif

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9689 on: March 27, 2018, 12:22:07 AM »
I think the perplexing part is more so the fact that the bids are placed within 10 seconds of the end (which just adds another 5 min).  You cannot catch someone off guard when they have an extra 5 min each time! ;).  That's why on eMovie really your "best bid" should be placed at the 5 min mark before the item ends (and before extended bidding kicks in)...my thoughts anyways
Chris

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #9690 on: March 27, 2018, 12:29:32 AM »
for me my "best bid" is a moving target constantly throughout the auction, so "when" I bid on poster B depends on when I may be outbid on posters A and/or C, and then get back to poster B in time to bid again.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9691 on: March 27, 2018, 01:30:08 AM »
The person who did it to me did it 10 times within the last 10 seconds.  I understand your predicament, but it still doesn't make sense.  You mean to say that you ONLY know what's going on with your other auctions within 10 seconds of the end of an item?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #9692 on: March 27, 2018, 10:25:06 AM »
i don't know about 10 times but yes at times, if someone outbids me late, then I am "off" to another one of my target posters, to raise my bid elsewhere by another increment, which might mean re-visiting a few different auctions where an increment increase will hopefully result in me being the high bidder (at least for a time)  Again the process itself of re-evaluating several ongoing auctions ending quasi-simultaneously takes a few seconds/minutes, so when i do bid again its in my interest that it be as close as possible to the end of extended time.  Why?  Because it buys me some time to keep playing.  It keeps as many of my posters "alive" so I can figure out where i can win one.  Why would I bid at 5 minutes ?  Then I only have 5 minutes to play with.  Much better to bid when there are 5 seconds left as I've "bought" myself a total of 9 minutes and 55 seconds, get it?

And Chris re "You cannot catch someone off guard when they have an extra 5 min each time!" i think you can. Like I said if you have a small budget but large poster fetish, you can get caught off guard...  Plus, there comes a time when you have to "let a poster go" because you can't bid on it because you're currently a high bidder elsewhere...so you watch the extended clock run out and you let it go, only to get outbid on the other one - jesusfuckingchrist - then you wish you had been able to buy some additional time on the one you let go, had you known, to give it one more shot.

Again what permeates this whole discussion which i cannot stress enough is THE outlier, the heat of the moment factor, the "no f-ing way i'm NOT getting this poster" funny thingling sensation that bubbles at first then turns into internal fire-rage etc... which also results in last second "fuck it" and bidding one more time.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9693 on: March 27, 2018, 10:48:41 AM »
i don't know about 10 times but yes at times, if someone outbids me late, then I am "off" to another one of my target posters, to raise my bid elsewhere by another increment, which might mean re-visiting a few different auctions where an increment increase will hopefully result in me being the high bidder (at least for a time)  Again the process itself of re-evaluating several ongoing auctions ending quasi-simultaneously takes a few seconds/minutes, so when i do bid again its in my interest that it be as close as possible to the end of extended time.  Why?  Because it buys me some time to keep playing.  It keeps as many of my posters "alive" so I can figure out where i can win one.  Why would I bid at 5 minutes ?  Then I only have 5 minutes to play with.  Much better to bid when there are 5 seconds left as I've "bought" myself a total of 9 minutes and 55 seconds, get it?

Well, think about that, then.  It pisses off the other party.  I know I have overpaid on items just to make sure the 10 seconds joker doesn't win.  So I'm not 100% sure it works in your favor.  It feels like someone doesn't understand the rules of the game (the idiot) or is fucking with me.  Either way, I won't let that individual win or if he does, I will make sure he pays a lot more than he should have.  So much for a small budget.

T
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 10:50:28 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #9694 on: March 27, 2018, 10:57:20 AM »
well as annoying as it might be, it has nothing to do with you and/or one particular poster - its part of an overall strategy.  Ideally I would have large sums of cash to place on various posters simultaneously... but this is all I got.  That, and a super large penis, which I also have.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9695 on: March 27, 2018, 11:16:17 AM »
Your strategy might backfire with people like me.  Maybe you should stick to your extra large penis.

T
My Personal Collection

guest4955

« Reply #9696 on: March 29, 2018, 09:01:43 PM »
Another record low auction result from EMP!  devil 2

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9697 on: March 29, 2018, 11:43:19 PM »
I was surprised to see the S2 Mummy at EMP go for almost twice the price of a new one at Rue Royale where they're printed. The other S2s went for about retail there. Except the one I wanted, the Chaplin. It went for a little over half the RR retail. Which is why I thought I was so lucky to get it - until I checked ebay and found one on sale for the same price. Doh! Still happy I grabbed it though - I'd rather the cash went to Bruce anyway. 

Offline JCM

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9698 on: March 30, 2018, 05:46:01 PM »
Another record low auction result from EMP!  devil 2

Looks like Dave snagged that shit.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9699 on: March 30, 2018, 05:49:16 PM »
He’s probably going to put it up at $4,000 AND find someone to buy it.  Respect.

T
My Personal Collection