Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837868 times)

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #9651 on: March 08, 2018, 08:21:31 PM »
In that same Julien's auction, a French style A poster with artwork by Roland Coudon for the original King Kong sold for $35,200.  Sorry I would include a direct link to the lot but I don't know how to do it here  :-[

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9655 on: March 08, 2018, 08:35:52 PM »

-Jeff

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #9656 on: March 08, 2018, 08:38:46 PM »
The 6-sheet for Creature from the Black Lagoon did very well too, selling for $28,800.

https://www.julienslive.com/m/lot-details/index/catalog/251/lot/100652?url=%2Fm%2Fmy-items%2Fwatchlist

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9657 on: March 08, 2018, 08:45:43 PM »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9658 on: March 08, 2018, 08:49:57 PM »

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #9659 on: March 09, 2018, 04:14:44 AM »
while we do know that quite a few pieces from this sale originated with the Leonard Schrader collection, Sean and I were watching the auction today and he recognized that a number of items were sold by EMP in November. We both continued looking and found items they sold in October

I suggest there were others we did not match to a previous sale

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #9660 on: March 09, 2018, 04:27:21 AM »
Had never even heard of this auction house.  Could not have this auction been popped up on the Events Thread?

Nice to have it on the radar now... 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9661 on: March 09, 2018, 01:00:09 PM »
Two items that sold on Nov 2, 2017 @ emp were the 8x10 still of Karloff from The Mummy, and a WC from Ghost of Frankenstein.

In Nov, the Mummy still sold for $1010.00: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/12426089.html

Yesterday, it went for $1597.00:

https://www.julienslive.com/m/lot-details/index/catalog/251/lot/100703?url=%2Fm%2Fview-auctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F251%3Fpage%3D1%26view%3Dlist%26key%3Dmummy%26sale%3Dundefined%26catm%3Dany%26order%3Dorder_num%26xclosed%3Dno%26featured%3Dno

And the GOF WC sold for $1500.00 at its last go around at emp (the same card was also auctioned in March of 2017 for the same 1500.00 price tag): http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/film_title/GHOST%2520OF%2520FRANKENSTEIN/tag/xtype%253Awindow%2520card/archive.html

And yesterday, at Juliens, it also went for $1597.00

https://www.julienslive.com/m/lot-details/index/catalog/251/lot/100698?url=%2Fm%2Fview-auctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F251%3Fpage%3D1%26view%3Dlist%26key%3Dghost%2520of%2520frankenstein%26sale%3Dundefined%26catm%3Dany%26order%3Dorder_num%26xclosed%3Dno%26featured%3Dno

So I wonder if the same person bought bought of these back in November with the purpose of sending them off to auction later? Or is it just coincidence? Or were they bought by 2 different bidders back in Nov?

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9662 on: March 09, 2018, 02:32:03 PM »
there are way more items than just those 2, Jeff.

either Osians bought them to add images to the archive and sold them now that they don't need them or Osians or Juliens bought them for the auction as there may have been no horror posters. I think we counted upwards of 15 listings in easy searches

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9663 on: March 09, 2018, 02:33:27 PM »
I just picked 2 examples, Rich. ;)

-Jeff

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9664 on: March 09, 2018, 02:56:39 PM »
while we do know that quite a few pieces from this sale originated with the Leonard Schrader collection, Sean and I were watching the auction today and he recognized that a number of items were sold by EMP in November. We both continued looking and found items they sold in October

I suggest there were others we did not match to a previous sale

I'm sure that a number of the larger sized posters came from public offerings (other auctions) & acquisitions (possibly even other consignors besides Osian's) BUT in particular the early part of the auction were Schrader lobby cards....for example the 96 Keaton cards were from Schrader archive book 0159...it was the entire book....the Metropolis card and Sunrise cards were from the collection as well....Obviously the set of Schrader Dracula cards weren't in the auction as well as a bunch of the early Chaney's etc.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 03:17:54 PM by Filmlobbycards »
Tait

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9665 on: March 09, 2018, 03:17:29 PM »
Maybe the Chaneys and Dracula cards might be offered the next time around.

-Jeff

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9666 on: March 09, 2018, 03:25:06 PM »
Maybe the Chaneys and Dracula cards might be offered the next time around.

The 2 "better" London After Midnight cards were not offered either...one of which is the horribly wonderful Chaney with Lantern with that crazy smile scene card....as well as a few of the really nice Chaney Browning Title Cards (The Unknown, 13th Chair, where east is east etc.)
Tait

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9667 on: March 09, 2018, 03:26:40 PM »
The 2 "better" London After Midnight cards were not offered either...one of which is the horribly wonderful Chaney with Lantern with that crazy smile scene card....as well as a few of the really nice Chaney Browning Title Cards (The Unknown, 13th Chair, where east is east etc.)

Makes sense, then, why they may be opting to spread the "poster/LC goodness" out among a couple auctions.

-Jeff

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9668 on: March 09, 2018, 03:40:51 PM »
The Schrader collection alone had nearly 8,500 lobby cards pre-1950
Tait

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9669 on: March 09, 2018, 03:42:52 PM »
Tait is probably correct on the larger format posters, which brings us to a subject relating to 'false advertising'

I'm not looking at the website now, but the implication of their statement was that these posters were all from Osians

clearly, we know this to possibly be false, but there is no way for us to prove the facts anyway

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9670 on: March 09, 2018, 03:43:11 PM »
The Schrader collection alone had nearly 8,500 lobby cards pre-1950

As you initially said, tho, Tait, it's a shame that this collection is potentially going to be scattered to the 4 corners of the Earth, once again.  :'(

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9671 on: March 09, 2018, 03:56:52 PM »
Had never even heard of this auction house.  Could not have this auction been popped up on the Events Thread?

Nice to have it on the radar now...

Ditto.  I always wonder how people hear of upcoming auctions like this.  Didn't even know it existed.  But then again, I don't read the Events Thread so I would have missed it either way :(

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #9672 on: March 09, 2018, 03:57:44 PM »
As you initially said, tho, Tait, it's a shame that this collection is potentially going to be scattered to the 4 corners of the Earth, once again.  :'(

Unless you make pre-arrangements to donate to a facility that is dedicated to preservation, it is going to be very difficult to prevent splitting it up.  Even if you managed to get the Smithsonian or Library of Congress to accept it, I am fairly certain they would sell off their duplicates.

Seems like there is a controversy every year or so where some museum has sold off a donated collection and the heirs sue.
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9673 on: March 09, 2018, 04:11:17 PM »
Selling off duplicates I can understand. But are people told, before they choose to donate an entire collection, that there is the possibility it could be split up or sold off, down the road?

I'd think that this factoid would be mentioned initially to anyone donating, so that the current owner could then make a decision, based on having all the facts.

Interesting, nevertheless.

-Jeff

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9674 on: March 09, 2018, 04:35:51 PM »
Ditto.  I always wonder how people hear of upcoming auctions like this.  Didn't even know it existed.  But then again, I don't read the Events Thread so I would have missed it either way :(

T

I'm right there with you on that....a mix of (potentially) false advertising and certainly not very effective advertising..I literally opened up a spam email last Thursday and saw all those Keaton cards after noticing a super rare Harold Lloyd one sheet (which only sold for $1250!!!)..

This auction wasn't on my radar at all..I literally knew right away what these lobby cards were (even though there was nothing to signify that they were originally from the Schrader archive)....you could imagine my surprise seeing these fantastic pieces being sold in 10-17 card lots instead of breaking them up and selling them over time as individual cards...I had to scramble to compete....luckily I won 1 great lot of Keaton pieces.... and I still fell short on 1 lot in particular that I really wanted....

In retrospect whoever won Lot 55  (9 lobby cards from THE GENERAL) for $10,000 made off like a bandit...those cards should be sold individually especially since they were in remarkable condition and fully hand colored in blue (which is a really significant detail)...The title card alone would probably sell at Heritage in the $4,000 range (me thinks)

In comparison Morrie sold 3 General lobby cards in the PIH auctions for nearly $6,000 alone

And not to beat a dead horse but Heritage sold 4 The Paleface cards (including title card) individually for nearly $7,500.... and Julien's sold 7 Paleface cards for for a measly $4,500!!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 04:49:04 PM by Filmlobbycards »
Tait