Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838255 times)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #800 on: December 31, 2010, 10:42:03 AM »
Mmmm hmmm...look at 3 sheet results - many go for less than the one sheet despite presumably being far rarer...

Yeah, but 3 sheets are a completely different animal than 40x60s.  Aside from being 20% smaller, 40x60s generally come rolled and on card stock, and they are one piece meaning that one in decent shape needs no backing for display.  Also, I have no way to prove this, but I think the colors are richer on 40x60s.  Others agree with me, and it just seems like the printing is a higher quality.  Maybe it has to do with how the cardstock takes the ink.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #801 on: December 31, 2010, 11:35:27 AM »
Thanks must go out to Bruce & Co. for relieving me of some of my burdensome savings on Tuesday night! ;D

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #802 on: December 31, 2010, 11:58:52 AM »
Yeah, but 3 sheets are a completely different animal than 40x60s.  Aside from being 20% smaller, 40x60s generally come rolled and on card stock, and they are one piece meaning that one in decent shape needs no backing for display.  Also, I have no way to prove this, but I think the colors are richer on 40x60s.  Others agree with me, and it just seems like the printing is a higher quality.  Maybe it has to do with how the cardstock takes the ink.

I thought the old 30x40s and 40x60s were screen printed... no?  I love some of the designs, but I would actually claim the opposite -- that the printing quality does not look as good as the standard paper (1,3,6 sheets).  Then again, I've never seen one in person and I know silkscreen, if done correctly, can look very rich.  It is just usually not as detailed.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #803 on: December 31, 2010, 12:19:06 PM »
I am not sure when they stopped screen printing them, and I may be wrong, but I do not think they were screen printed in 1956.  The newer ones definitely are not screen printed.  At least none of the ones I have are, ranging in years from Fistful of Dollars to Road Warrior.  The only ones I have seen side by side for comparison is my Mad Max 40x60 next to a Max Max 1sh and Road Warrior 30x40 next to a Road Warrior one sheet.  To my eye, the card stock printings look much better.  I just do not have the motivation to get the others in the one sheet format because of the cost.  I have seen the Blade Runner next to a Blade Runner rerelease, but thats not really a fair comparison.
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #804 on: December 31, 2010, 01:35:42 PM »
FP is screen printed

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #805 on: December 31, 2010, 01:41:12 PM »
FP is screen printed
Well, there ya go.  Thanks Rich!
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #806 on: December 31, 2010, 02:51:20 PM »
Somebody got a good deal on this undated ROTJ:

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #807 on: December 31, 2010, 05:01:40 PM »
Do the reproductions/fakes have a date on them?
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #808 on: December 31, 2010, 09:37:43 PM »
Do the reproductions/fakes have a date on them?

Yep but it's not too hard to distinguish them - I did a very basic authentication here:

http://moviepostercollectors.com/Revenge_of_the_Jedi.html

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #809 on: December 31, 2010, 09:40:16 PM »
it's a very rare and great looking poster and the final bid I think is near to right.
Heritage sold one at the height of the poster season (meaning 2006-2008 when a couple buyers were spending $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$).
http://movieposters.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=633&Lot_No=28979

price was short of 7500 or something in the range of 5-6k for the average seller
so the $5788 bid should have resulted in a sale.

Rich, who were the "super buyers" during those years?  I have noticed that prices were somewhat higher then but I thought it was just the better economy then.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #810 on: January 01, 2011, 03:38:24 PM »
Rich, who were the "super buyers" during those years?  I have noticed that prices were somewhat higher then but I thought it was just the better economy then.

Japanese business speculators just like what happened with the muscle cars of the late 60s/early 70s a few years back  ;)
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #811 on: January 01, 2011, 04:17:52 PM »
Mel, there were some specific buyers spending beau coup bux and who have since slowed down.
One was represented by "bidder #2" at Heritage and must have spent at least $20million in 2-3 years. Might even been as much as $40mil

the absence of such bidders brings prices down to the reality of the greater % of buyers

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #812 on: January 04, 2011, 09:02:21 PM »
Did anybody get the Moss set?  It is crushing the Stout sets now:

Bruce

« Reply #813 on: January 04, 2011, 09:50:27 PM »
"Rich, who were the "super buyers" during those years?"

Just as important, Rich, who were the "super underbidders" who bid skyhigh but never won?

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #814 on: January 04, 2011, 11:52:51 PM »
Mel, it really comes down to numbers. The Stout basic run was twice as large, throw in the shitty variant as additional numbers and it is 3 times as many in the market. In addition, there are many that prefer Moss's style to Stout's. Anything these two do the flipper vulture hover to milk it as much as possible. Supply and demand is showing the lower count on the Moss run to be the one to own right now.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #815 on: January 05, 2011, 10:03:57 AM »
Supply and demand is showing the lower count on the Moss run to be the one to own right now.

My thoughts exactly.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #816 on: January 05, 2011, 01:53:37 PM »
"Rich, who were the "super buyers" during those years?"

Just as important, Rich, who were the "super underbidders" who bid skyhigh but never won?

some of them were well known bidders Bruce.. For instance, a well known horror collector was bidding up well past his own "top bids" to make the other guy pay through the nose for stuff he wasn't going to win. Things we have all done in some situations.

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #817 on: January 06, 2011, 03:14:07 PM »
Wow, talk about bargains!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300509825013

This poster regularly sells for $600-1000 on HA and eMovie.

Offline idioteque

• Hobbyist
« Reply #818 on: January 06, 2011, 09:44:54 PM »
Gaaah!  I know, I've been holding out for a 1st edition, but it always crazy expensive.  I'll track one down eventually though...

EDIT: By the way, have you seen this?  I can't believe this was released intact... including the 17,000 images you get access to online!  I have to go take a cold shower now.

Stanley Kubrick's Napoleon: The Greatest Movie Never Made

Hi Harry, Taschen are to release an alternate single edition version. A much more affordable option.

http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/film/upcoming/04973/facts.stanley_kubricks_napoleon_the_greatest_movie_never_made.htm

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #819 on: January 06, 2011, 10:29:44 PM »
Wow, talk about bargains!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300509825013

This poster regularly sells for $600-1000 on HA and eMovie.

Damn...wish I had caught that one!
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #821 on: January 09, 2011, 11:22:58 PM »
$275 for the rare Rocky II Style B.  I picked this up cheap on Ebay a few weeks ago:

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #822 on: January 12, 2011, 08:51:20 PM »
Was anyone else surprised at how much the Star Wars Hildebrant quad sold for on emovieposter?  I wasn't completely shocked but I definitely expected it to sell for less based on its condition.  It would be interesting to see what a restorer could do with it.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #823 on: January 12, 2011, 10:10:48 PM »
Was anyone else surprised at how much the Star Wars Hildebrant quad sold for on emovieposter?  I wasn't completely shocked but I definitely expected it to sell for less based on its condition.  It would be interesting to see what a restorer could do with it.

Good catch Neo.  I didn't realize how infrequently it comes up for auction.  I couldn't find a prior auction on Emovie, only one on Heritage (for $2500 in 2006), and one at Christies ($2000).  So $600 may have been a bargain for that.  LBing would fix most of the issues, except for the trim.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #824 on: January 13, 2011, 12:02:51 AM »
A restorer can help it greatly no doubt. But linen backing won't fix a crinkled black quad. I wonder if Dave still has a photo handy of the Goldfinger quad he auctioned on eBay recently...