Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838203 times)

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #9200 on: May 21, 2017, 04:11:01 PM »
Very interesting read on Buster Keaton.

That Leonard Schrader collection must have been something to behold. Although it is now in someone else's hands there is still this link which shows some of the collection and gives a bit of background :

http://www.leonardschradercollection.com/

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9201 on: May 21, 2017, 06:26:07 PM »
What a great website, martin. And the home page photos keep refreshing with different images from the collection.  thumbsup.gif

This bio/provenance page is fascinating, too:

http://www.leonardschradercollection.com/provenance.html
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 06:29:33 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9202 on: May 22, 2017, 05:23:44 AM »
It would have been fascinating to know how (and from where) he compiled the collection but as he is no longer with us we'll never know.

It's the classic story of the secretive collector amassing material over half a lifetime almost without anyone else, apparently, knowing what he had. As he was involved with the teaching side of film history you might think that he would have used some of his collection in his lectures. Although, maybe not - if you had multiple sets of Buster Keaton lobby cards, would you want students putting their grubby mitts on them!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #9203 on: May 22, 2017, 06:56:23 AM »
There doesn't appear to be any way of searching the database...  Is there?

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #9204 on: May 23, 2017, 12:11:58 AM »
It's the classic story of the secretive collector amassing material over half a lifetime almost without anyone else, apparently, knowing what he had.

I know so many collectors who have so much stuff no one knows they have. For every collection people know about there are probably 10 which are completely unknown.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9205 on: May 23, 2017, 01:45:38 AM »
Yet more rare poster goodness that can still be found on Ebay's post sales search archive, from last month. clap clap

A set of eight 40x60 silkscreen posters from the 1930s. All are in a need of some TLC but the entire group sold for $2500.00 plus another $175.25 for Standard shipping.

I think this was another good deal gotten here. I would think these are pretty scarce. The colors are stunningly beautiful and because they are silkscreen, the inks almost glow on the paper.  bed1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-8-Vintage-40-X-60-1933-Hollywood-Movie-Posters-Davis-Garbo-Hepburne-/132153476952?hash=item1ec4f60758%3Ag%3AIK4AAOSw3utY6Ttb&nma=true&si=4Zwn8Q8wxFUKu430opECu%252BYyqns%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Here are 2. The rest can be seen in the listing.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 01:55:40 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9206 on: May 23, 2017, 12:25:52 PM »
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 02:16:07 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9207 on: May 23, 2017, 02:01:30 PM »
I was about to bid but the GIGANTIC HOLE stopped me.  I don't do HOLES.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9208 on: May 23, 2017, 02:12:01 PM »
Dominique had put the wrong photo in his auction and sent out a note this morning, indicating that mistake, and adding the 2nd pic to his auction.

The poster he sold (the one shown above) has no hole.

Look again. ;)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 02:15:04 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9209 on: May 23, 2017, 02:15:32 PM »
Then he made a BIG MISTAKE because I would have bid MUCH MORE on this poster and someone got a good deal.  Oh well... Next!

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #9210 on: May 23, 2017, 10:27:37 PM »
This Hungarian Planet of the Apes caught my eye.  A valiant bidding battle there, HC. 

Based on the additional info. on the listing, this one must be super, ultra-rare, eh?

Important Added Info: Note that we have been informed by a Hungarian poster expert that this poster (which measures large than typical Hungarian posters) is from a limited release in Hungary, when the movie was only screened in one cinema!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #9211 on: May 23, 2017, 10:37:56 PM »
Never seen or heard of one before.  The winner should consider themselves lucky I had a party to be at and couldn't bid live...  moron1

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9212 on: May 23, 2017, 11:05:55 PM »
The winner should consider themselves lucky I had a party to be at and couldn't bid live...  moron1

That sucks but I know the feeling.  So many times I'm jogging and bidding.  I like to jog around 5:30-6pm.  The worst about it is that I need glasses so I can see what the fuck I'm doing.  I can only guess.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9213 on: May 24, 2017, 01:25:33 AM »
Then he made a BIG MISTAKE because I would have bid MUCH MORE on this poster and someone got a good deal.  Oh well... Next!

T

I bet he thought the same thing when he realized, at the 11th hour, that he had used the wrong picture during the entire auction run.

Had Dominique listed the correct pic, what do you think the potential could be for this 1P?

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9214 on: May 24, 2017, 02:56:01 AM »
I would have probably bid twice as much, so not a huge amount, but more than he got for sure.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #9215 on: May 24, 2017, 04:22:43 AM »
That sucks but I know the feeling.  So many times I'm jogging and bidding.  I like to jog around 5:30-6pm.  The worst about it is that I need glasses so I can see what the fuck I'm doing.  I can only guess.

T

I did laugh at this one...hilarious.

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #9216 on: May 24, 2017, 11:36:46 PM »
Yet more rare poster goodness that can still be found on Ebay's post sales search archive, from last month. clap clap

A set of eight 40x60 silkscreen posters from the 1930s. All are in a need of some TLC but the entire group sold for $2500.00 plus another $175.25 for Standard shipping.

These are a beauteous piece of history.  Those bright dayglow purples, etc. are stunning, and cool how well the colors held up over the years.

I like the artwork on this one:

Great history of the 40x60s, that the listing borrowed from Heritage:

Studios began printing the 40 X 60 size in the early 1930s on a thin paper stock, this poster is the size the name suggests and was usually rolled when sent to the theater.
During the 1930s many of these posters were produced by the Hollywood Sign-Makers Union using a silk-screen process, which was often done in strong, day-glow paints which made for very striking graphics.
These craftsmen would often produce as many as ten to twenty paint screens to produce these works of art.
The other method for producing these larger size posters during this time was the photo-gelatin process, the same method used to produce 1930s Lobby Cards.
These posters were most often photographic and were produced on a thin paper stock which became brittle over time.
The silk-screen and photo-gelatin 40" X 60"s are by far the rarest posters to find for any film from the 1930s.
By the 1940's, the 40" X 60"s began being produced on a heavy card stock, in off-set lithography and remained so up until their demise in the early 1980s.
In the 1960s these posters became just larger copies of the one sheet, which could be put on an easel to display in large areas.
40" X 60" posters were printed in very limited numbers and few survived.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9217 on: May 25, 2017, 08:35:27 PM »
People are insane.

Good for you Bruce.

T

My Personal Collection

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #9218 on: May 26, 2017, 01:47:27 AM »
People are insane.

Good for you Bruce.

T

From tonight's auctions, which final prices surprised you the most?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9219 on: May 26, 2017, 01:59:22 AM »
OMG, I don't even know where to start...

SW for $1.2K, Blade Runner for $1k, a good condition Revenge for $1k, ESB Kilian for $500, The Thing for $400, a good ESB GWTW for $400... then further down La La Land for $285, Last Jedi for $210... I can go on and on.

Look, I own all of these posters in mint condition, sometimes multiple copies, so I should be happy about the results.  I am, but t doesn't stop me from thinking that these are ridiculous prices.

T
My Personal Collection

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #9220 on: May 26, 2017, 03:27:11 AM »
I figured the 3 Star Wars one sheets in the top 5 were among the "insane."  Certainly some strong results, and as usual, for the popular titles.  I think some people would rather just pay the extra coin from Bruce, than deal with the potential fakes from eBay, etc.  Logically, those would be the most likely to be fakes, when buying from random eBayers, etc.  I wonder how long the SW, in particular, will continue this upward trend.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #9221 on: May 26, 2017, 04:56:51 AM »
I am not a SW person, but in reviewing those prices before the hammer fell, I was feeling the same.  Incredible really.

But I agree, extra coin for zero hassle.

Offline JCM

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9222 on: May 26, 2017, 10:22:53 AM »
OMG, I don't even know where to start...

SW for $1.2K, Blade Runner for $1k, a good condition Revenge for $1k, ESB Kilian for $500, The Thing for $400, a good ESB GWTW for $400... then further down La La Land for $285, Last Jedi for $210... I can go on and on.

Look, I own all of these posters in mint condition, sometimes multiple copies, so I should be happy about the results.  I am, but t doesn't stop me from thinking that these are ridiculous prices.

T

A lot of those are from a member here — "Undead" — his consignment pieces that he first offered for sale on this forum about a month ago. I was bidding on a few key upgrades but they just went too high for me.

Many of the posters closed way higher than what he quoted in PMs; I'm sure he's happy.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9223 on: May 26, 2017, 11:26:46 AM »

T

Why - you will never, ever, ever, ever sell remember?   >:D
Chris

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9224 on: May 26, 2017, 11:45:20 AM »
I know, but I have 3 mint rolled Revenge posters, extra mint, so it's good to know my kids will have something after I depart.

T
My Personal Collection