Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838237 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #9100 on: March 31, 2017, 04:57:46 PM »
Looks like we'll have to disagree on this one.

Let's see how many days we can go before you guys post another EMP auction where Bruce is trying to mislead people. For 25 bucks.

facepalm

again JC. I never did nor said any such thing. it's a mischaracterization of my post

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline JCM

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9101 on: March 31, 2017, 05:05:29 PM »
again JC. I never did nor said any such thing. it's a mischaracterization of my post

Uhhh....

I will never sell a poster or other collectible if I cannot describe it correctly
If I don't know what it is, I will never put it onto a collector to find out for themselves

it's MY job to know what I am selling, not my customer's job to try to find out.

Jeff is correct. Either you know, or your expertise & methods are questionable

So you post this literally right after erik's post highlighting the Legend poster, and you don't think this is a direct attack against Bruce's business practices?

Come on! That bolded line.

This is why I'm saying you guys are instigators.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9102 on: March 31, 2017, 09:07:29 PM »
If asking questions or presenting comments or observations about any seller, restorer, dealer, auctioneer, questionable "ebayer," shipper (such as the USPS or FedX) etc is considered "instigation," then I guess I'm guilty as charged.

Carry on.

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9103 on: March 31, 2017, 09:15:17 PM »
Jeff is correct. Either you know, or your expertise & methods are questionable

So you post this literally right after erik's post highlighting the Legend poster, and you don't think this is a direct attack against Bruce's business practices?

JC, can you explain where my statement is false, as refers to anyone anywhere?
not to mention that I even showed a poll post where it seems that the majority of respondents agree with my own position?

you know I can point to an area where I am not selling stuff I have. because it is going to take longer for me to prep: Japanese posters

I have 600-800 of them, sitting on a shelf.
Japanese posters are not an area of my expertise. not at all. Personally I only have rudimentary information, probably because I never had 800 of them before and you learn by experience. But because my own experience is iffy, I have to wait until I can have the time & the time of a friend (can we say 'Sean') who can help me. This isn't one poster, this is 800 posters (or 600. not even been counted). I won't sell them until I can properly identify the release dates on every poster. It's called 'walking the walk' and it isn't a difficult thing to do. My money will be tied up in them until I feel I can reliably identify them.

my suggestion to anyone is that they should be able to identify their material properly.
Heritage does make an occasional mistake in this area, and when that happens (FYI), they remove the listing
this stuff isn't difficult, unless you make it difficult on yourself

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #9104 on: March 31, 2017, 10:04:09 PM »
In the 5 years or so i have been collecting posters one thing I've learned is that there are many known unknowns.

Just look at my posts from last week http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,8190.0.html   Its impossible to know 100% what something is. There is no periodic table for posters.  Best you can do is caveat emptor that shit, and offer a refund should new information come to light.  I think that fact that EMP offers a refund for life says a lot about their integrity.  People send them posters and "expect" they will pinpoint stuff from 30 years ago.  Its pretty fucking crazy to expect that, and this is coming from a guy with "crazy" in his name.

On the topic of Heritage, they once charged me an arm and a leg for shipping ONE poster.  I paid, only to realize they tossed in a 2 pound "collector's book" or some shit I didn't even ask for.  THAT, IMO, is not good business.  Their "5K minimum" consignment intake, is also, IMO, shit.

Now here I am having said shit three (four) times in a single post, which means its time for my nightcap.  Adios, fockers.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9105 on: March 31, 2017, 10:07:17 PM »
On the topic of Heritage, they once charged me an arm and a leg for shipping ONE poster.  I paid, only to realize they tossed in a 2 pound "collector's book" or some shit I didn't even ask for.  THAT, IMO, is not good business. 

I don't understand why they would send you the book. even if it was a catalog, they shouldn't be charging for shipping of it.

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9106 on: April 01, 2017, 01:19:05 AM »
In the 5 years or so i have been collecting posters one thing I've learned is that there are many known unknowns.

Just look at my posts from last week http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,8190.0.html   Its impossible to know 100% what something is. There is no periodic table for posters.  Best you can do is caveat emptor that shit, and offer a refund should new information come to light.  I think that fact that EMP offers a refund for life says a lot about their integrity.  People send them posters and "expect" they will pinpoint stuff from 30 years ago.  Its pretty fucking crazy to expect that, and this is coming from a guy with "crazy" in his name.

On the topic of Heritage, they once charged me an arm and a leg for shipping ONE poster. I paid, only to realize they tossed in a 2 pound "collector's book" or some shit I didn't even ask for. THAT, IMO, is not good business.  Their "5K minimum" consignment intake, is also, IMO, shit.

Now here I am having said shit three (four) times in a single post, which means its time for my nightcap.  Adios, fockers.

That sux, Vick. What book was this, exactly? Do you still have it? I never knew that HA included free, mystery give aways that were included with winning orders. A Collector's book of some kind sounds interesting. Are there good pics in it, too?

I'm assuming you wrote to HA to explain, question and complain about this whole issue? Did they refund you on this shipping overage or explain in any way?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 01:49:56 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline greysm

• Hobbyist
    • Director of US Poster Auctions
« Reply #9107 on: April 01, 2017, 03:02:43 PM »
Happy to answer this.
The "2lb book" is actually a 10 oz paperback book that retails for $11 via Amazon.
It's given free to all first-time buyers and anyone that fills out a survey and wants it.
Its called "The Collector's Handbook: Tax Planning, Strategy and Estate Advice from Collectors and Their Heirs."

In the 12 years we've been sending it to our clients, hundreds, if not thousands; I've never had anyone complain about receiving but have had a number of thanks for the helpful book.  :)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9108 on: April 01, 2017, 03:17:51 PM »
Its called "The Collector's Handbook: Tax Planning, Strategy and Estate Advice from Collectors and Their Heirs."

sounds useful.. can I have one?

-------

Offline greysm

• Hobbyist
    • Director of US Poster Auctions
« Reply #9109 on: April 01, 2017, 03:26:44 PM »
Absolutely, Rich.
Happy to send one to you!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9110 on: April 01, 2017, 03:45:43 PM »
Sure sounds like a handy and useful guide to me.  thumbsup.gif
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 03:54:53 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9111 on: April 01, 2017, 03:54:10 PM »
Absolutely, Rich.
Happy to send one to you!

sm1

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9112 on: April 01, 2017, 04:06:48 PM »

On the topic of Heritage, they once charged me an arm and a leg for shipping ONE poster.  I paid, only to realize they tossed in a 2 pound "collector's book" or some shit I didn't even ask for.  THAT, IMO, is not good business.  Their "5K minimum" consignment intake, is also, IMO, shit.

It should be noted that this lifetime refund applies to unsigned items only. Items that are autographed with signatures (stills etc) are only eligible for refunds for a mere 30 days.

-Jeff

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #9113 on: April 01, 2017, 06:50:11 PM »
Rich, throw me out a price on the JP stuff, I just take the lot off your hands and save you some time.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9114 on: April 01, 2017, 07:05:13 PM »
Rich, throw me out a price on the JP stuff, I just take the lot off your hands and save you some time.

I'll keep that in mind, somewhere in the back
;)

-------

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #9115 on: April 01, 2017, 09:46:20 PM »
sounds useful.. can I have one?

So for the record, its not useful. It has a lot of "duh, no kidding" information, along with some "OMG I have to consign with HA they are sooo awesome!" stuff.

Oh yeah, its also not free.  Because you pay shipping on it, in USD, its kills me as a canuck. Rather than having customers automatically "opt in" perhaps you should have them automatically "opt out", lest they agree to it. 

If HA was truly looking out for me, they would have sent me a FREE catalog of their upcoming auction, rather than some junk mail and making me pay for it.

• Post-aholic

-------

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #9118 on: April 02, 2017, 02:39:13 AM »
That version is a second issue, the first would have made more...
It's more than a Hobby...

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9119 on: April 02, 2017, 03:55:44 AM »

thanks Paul.

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9120 on: April 02, 2017, 04:04:02 AM »
So for the record, its not useful. It has a lot of "duh, no kidding" information, along with some "OMG I have to consign with HA they are sooo awesome!" stuff.
Vick, you do realize this is probably not an item for knowledgeable collectors, but for the average Joe and no doubt, it's part of the promotional package that helped Grey find great posters for his auctions, like the previously unknown copies of the Frankenstein 3sh, the Frankie insert & the Invisible Man poster they just sold. Oh and the Chaney stuff that had the London After Midnight poster also.

I can definitely understand how this might not have much for you in it and I would agree that you shouldn't have to pay the postage for it, but at 10oz, even if you did, that isn't a ton by itself and you know that I know what international shipping costs are

-------

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9121 on: April 02, 2017, 10:51:33 PM »

Presumably, the first issue has the silver text instead of the white text, or is it something else?
What is the difference between the two?

Thanks,
J

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #9122 on: April 03, 2017, 01:40:58 AM »
Yes, the first is the silver text version.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #9123 on: April 03, 2017, 10:35:25 AM »
I can definitely understand how this might not have much for you in it and I would agree that you shouldn't have to pay the postage for it, but at 10oz, even if you did, that isn't a ton by itself and you know that I know what international shipping costs are

There is no way he was charged postage on this item.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #9124 on: April 03, 2017, 11:57:26 AM »
Of course I was charged postage.  There is no flat fee shipping at HA; they weigh, they price, they charge.  It was a folded poster that should have had minimal cost. Add the book and you are over a pound and the cost goes up.  Tell me then what is shipping 1 folded poster to Canada, and then add a pound on top of that and see what the quote is.