Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838138 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #8975 on: March 10, 2017, 02:47:40 PM »
Ok let me ask you this - if a lady asks about the size of your endowment, do you give her the working version or the at ease one?  I know what my answer is.

is she paying for it, or were you just bragging?

:P

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8976 on: March 10, 2017, 02:54:30 PM »
Ok let me ask you this - if a lady asks about the size of your endowment, do you give her the working version or the at ease one? I know what my answer is.

ps: what happens when she finds out you were lying and it's just a weinie?

;D

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8977 on: March 10, 2017, 03:48:12 PM »
Yes we bought this poster. Thank you to those who alerted us to the changes that were made to the listing. I don't like when changes are made midway through a listing. The way I see it though, in this case it doesn't really matter. Whether it is from 1947 or the 50's or even 60's (I don't think it is from the 60's). The bottom line is that it is a rare and beautiful poster that isn't sold too often and we will describe it as best we can when we re sell it.

One of the good things about ebay auctions is that ebay does not let the seller modify an auction once a bid has been placed.

Dave

I cant imagine that anyone would like or even think it proper to change a listing description. And one small point of fact: the description was changed the day (or a handful of hours) before this auction ended, when questions were asked about some of the confusing, dual bits of info that was presented, and not midway thru the week long auction cycle.

Yes, you were the winner and a big congrats to you, as it is a truly beautiful image. But what if this had gone to someone who had placed a winning (proxy) bid days before, based on what was originally written about this poster. Only to read after the fact that a huge amount of that descriptive text had been re-written?

Would that person have been allowed to withdraw their winning bid if they wanted, and without repercussion? I would certainly hope so.

That is a good thing that ebay does (one of a few as you mentioned). That they lock that ability to change an auction item's description after a bid is placed is the right thing to do.

Is changing a description like this, during an auction, common practice? If so, it shouldnt be. It doesnt look or "smell good," imho. (And I'm not meaning small corrections like a typo).

« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 03:55:39 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #8978 on: March 10, 2017, 05:55:44 PM »
ps: what happens when she finds out you were lying and it's just a weinie?

;D
I cancel the sale and re-list under a different handle of course!! ;D

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8979 on: March 10, 2017, 06:56:58 PM »
I cancel the sale and re-list under a different handle of course!! ;D

lol

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8980 on: March 12, 2017, 05:16:43 PM »
Great sale for King Bruce...   notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif

Tried to bid, but there were way too many deep pockets competing.  People are going insane for Star Wars right now.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #8981 on: March 12, 2017, 06:05:23 PM »
Agreed T. Over $40,000 for the four Star Wars posters is a great win for Bruce.

I think I'll pass in collecting Star Wars posters!  :o

I'm quite happy, I picked up 3/5 that I wanted from the four parts. Gutted about The Lady from Shanghai though! 
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline Saw

• Beginner
« Reply #8982 on: March 12, 2017, 11:39:53 PM »
I thought I was ready to hang with the big kids until I saw some of the prices tonight from Bruce's auctions.
$780 for that Wolverine poster. Yikes.
I'm going to go back to my sad space now, realizing how much money I DON'T have  :'(

Congrats to the winners though

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #8983 on: March 13, 2017, 06:14:34 AM »
Don't worry about hanging with the rich kids.

I am definitely not rich but I've picked up a few nice pieces from the genre I collect and at good prices to.

Be patient and you'll find the posters you want at prices you can afford.

Unless of course you are crazy on Uni horror and then you'll need to win the lotto.  ;D

Marc
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #8984 on: March 13, 2017, 11:06:16 AM »
Unless of course you are crazy on Uni horror and then you'll need to win the lotto.  ;D

Marc

Twice.
-Jay-

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8985 on: March 13, 2017, 04:03:32 PM »

lol - I was thinking the opposite after seeing a few of the results last week.
House of Frankenstein TC under $1K
Ghost of Frank WC $1500,
Ghost of Frank insert $1K,
Dracula TC $675,
Mummy's Tomb SC $398,
etc, etc

Seems there hasn't been a better time in the last 20 years to be a Uni Horror collector.

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #8986 on: March 13, 2017, 04:27:36 PM »
 woohoo, they will soon be in my price range.... ;D
It's more than a Hobby...

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8987 on: March 13, 2017, 04:55:45 PM »
woohoo, they will soon be in my price range.... ;D

lol

-------

Offline Baleizao

• Beginner
« Reply #8988 on: March 13, 2017, 09:41:15 PM »
I thought I was ready to hang with the big kids until I saw some of the prices tonight from Bruce's auctions.
$780 for that Wolverine poster. Yikes.
I'm going to go back to my sad space now, realizing how much money I DON'T have  :'(

Congrats to the winners though

In 20 years, that Wolverine poster will be one of those "unicorns" and worth big bucks.  To the 20 somethings of today, when they hit their 40's, and have $$$, this is one they're gonna want because they grew up watching Wolverine and the X-Men on the big screen and that poster is simply gorgeous, signed by both the star and the artist, printed on special paper, with a special cut and extremely limited.  You see what that Harry Potter lenticular went for?  This will be in the same ballpark in 20 years, in my opinion.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8989 on: March 13, 2017, 10:14:45 PM »
And unlike a theatrical poster, the Wolverine piece is a limited edition, signed and numbered art print. So that also makes it a different critter, price/collectible-wise, too.

-Jeff

Offline Saw

• Beginner
« Reply #8990 on: March 14, 2017, 12:47:26 AM »
And unlike a theatrical poster, the Wolverine piece is a limited edition, signed and numbered art print. So that also makes it a different critter, price/collectible-wise, too.

I don't disagree. I think it's a great poster too and wanted in on it. That's why I mentioned it. I just think that the timing of the auction was all too perfect for whoever the consigner was. And congrats to them. They nailed the timing and got a good price.
I just believe if it came up again in another 2 years, it would go for about half of what it did. Just my opinion though.

And yes I saw the Harry Potter too. I agree. Just give it time.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8991 on: March 14, 2017, 11:02:45 AM »
In 20 years, that Wolverine poster will be one of those "unicorns" and worth big bucks.  To the 20 somethings of today, when they hit their 40's, and have $$$, this is one they're gonna want because they grew up watching Wolverine and the X-Men on the big screen and that poster is simply gorgeous, signed by both the star and the artist, printed on special paper, with a special cut and extremely limited.  You see what that Harry Potter lenticular went for?  This will be in the same ballpark in 20 years, in my opinion.

What about the 40-50 somethings that already grew up with Wolverine and are spending 10-20K (or even 600K) on Wolverine comics/art?
Why aren't they already bidding this poster up to Harry Potter levels?
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8992 on: March 14, 2017, 01:39:43 PM »
Seems the S2 re-creations continue to hold their value and selling power. They were produced with such detail and quality and that surely counts for something.

A King Kong S2 3-sheet sold for $747.00 just a couple days ago:

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/5625111.html

And a Metropolis S2 3-sheet finished up a close second at $724.00

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/4526011.html

« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 07:05:03 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Baleizao

• Beginner
« Reply #8993 on: March 14, 2017, 06:56:20 PM »
What about the 40-50 somethings that already grew up with Wolverine and are spending 10-20K (or even 600K) on Wolverine comics/art?
Why aren't they already bidding this poster up to Harry Potter levels?

I would guess for the same reason that they wouldn't pay Harry Potter level dollars for a 2013 Wolverine/X-men comic book.  However, I'll bet that it was a 40-50 something that already grew up with Wolverine comic books that paid $780 for a 2013 poster.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8994 on: March 14, 2017, 10:51:40 PM »
I would guess for the same reason that they wouldn't pay Harry Potter level dollars for a 2013 Wolverine/X-men comic book.  However, I'll bet that it was a 40-50 something that already grew up with Wolverine comic books that paid $780 for a 2013 poster.

Then you don't pay attention to the comic market.
limited/variant moderns can be insane. For example...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wolverine-1-J-Scott-Campbell-Dead-pool-Variant-Cgc-9-8-/142258643682?hash=item211f46a2e2%3Ag%3ABesAAOSw5cNYiio9&nma=true&si=FPopXtjm32vBZUjMqtm6oWWrs0Q%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
And there are Spider-man variants from the last few years that are starting to touch five figures.
www.Kaijuposters.com

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8995 on: March 15, 2017, 12:23:32 AM »
Then you don't pay attention to the comic market.
limited/variant moderns can be insane. For example...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wolverine-1-J-Scott-Campbell-Dead-pool-Variant-Cgc-9-8-/142258643682?hash=item211f46a2e2%3Ag%3ABesAAOSw5cNYiio9&nma=true&si=FPopXtjm32vBZUjMqtm6oWWrs0Q%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
And there are Spider-man variants from the last few years that are starting to touch five figures.

Last time I sold a Frank Miller Wolverine page, which already goes back 10 years, it was $6000. It's going to be a lot stiffer today

if I got back the Joe Rubenstein splash page from #1 (mini series) I sold 10 years ago,  I could probably get 10-15 for that today.. easy

-------

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8996 on: March 15, 2017, 12:26:59 AM »
Last time I sold a Frank Miller Wolverine page, which already goes back 10 years, it was $6000. It's going to be a lot stiffer today

if I got back the Joe Rubenstein splash page from #1 (mini series) I sold 10 years ago,  I could probably get 10-15 for that today.. easy

And of course the last page from Hulk 180 sold for over $680K - much more than any movie poster has sold for.
www.Kaijuposters.com

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8997 on: March 15, 2017, 12:34:47 AM »
And of course the last page from Hulk 180 sold for over $680K - much more than any movie poster has sold for.

yep

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8998 on: March 15, 2017, 01:38:30 AM »
Just thinking out loud and wondering.... what made this quad go from a $21.00 poster in 2012, to a $430.00 poster at the end of 2016? What drives this kind of price jump? Is it nothing more than 2 people that REALLY want it?

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/16206038.html  ($21.00)

TO

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/2399510.html  ($430.00)

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8999 on: March 15, 2017, 03:40:18 AM »
Just thinking out loud and wondering.... what made this quad go from a $21.00 poster in 2012, to a $430.00 poster at the end of 2016? What drives this kind of price jump? Is it nothing more than 2 people that REALLY want it?

Idiots.  Oops, did I say that out loud?

;D

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)