Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837086 times)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #775 on: December 17, 2010, 08:09:06 PM »
Gaaah!  I know, I've been holding out for a 1st edition, but it always crazy expensive.  I'll track one down eventually though...

EDIT: By the way, have you seen this?  I can't believe this was released intact... including the 17,000 images you get access to online!  I have to go take a cold shower now.

Stanley Kubrick's Napoleon: The Greatest Movie Never Made

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #776 on: December 17, 2010, 08:24:31 PM »
Three wild posters I have never seen or heard of before, and that's rarer than rare!

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2038076
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2038077
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2038078

By the way Bruce, don't tell us any names... but who the hell consigned these and did they know what they were sitting on?  Was it an industry person?  A printer employee?  I'm still blown over by how much these sold for...

Offline idioteque

• Hobbyist
« Reply #777 on: December 17, 2010, 09:21:04 PM »
No Harry, I didn't take the plunge on the Napoleon collection. Way too expensive, and the Archives book already covered this enough for me. I didn't quite like the presentation either.

I'm more interested in the films he made and not the one's he didn't. Don't like to dwell on that too much, as he made too few films as it was.

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #778 on: December 17, 2010, 09:22:58 PM »
I was pleased I was able to get all 3 of the Eyes Wide Shut posters. I had to bid agressively and while they were an awful lot of money I feel sure they will seem a bargain in years to come. I love Kubrick's films and as Holiday observes I do have an interest in rarer alternative styles of poster - these are a fine example. Whilst I have that superb Taschen book I didn't think of looking at it prior to the auction although I realised these must have been posters that were pulled and never distributed.

Mark

Offline idioteque

• Hobbyist
« Reply #779 on: December 17, 2010, 09:25:23 PM »
I was pleased I was able to get all 3 of the Eyes Wide Shut posters. I had to bid agressively and while they were an awful lot of money I feel sure they will seem a bargain in years to come. I love Kubrick's films and as Holiday observes I do have an interest in rarer alternative styles of poster - these are a fine example. Whilst I have that superb Taschen book I didn't think of looking at it prior to the auction although I realised these must have been posters that were pulled and never distributed.

Mark

I think you did quite well Mark. Great poster set for an under-rated Kubrick film.

Offline idioteque

• Hobbyist
« Reply #780 on: December 17, 2010, 09:27:05 PM »
By the way Bruce, don't tell us any names... but who the hell consigned these and did they know what they were sitting on?  Was it an industry person?  A printer employee?  I'm still blown over by how much these sold for...

A very interesting question.

Bruce

« Reply #781 on: December 17, 2010, 10:15:04 PM »
I contacted the consignor, but since I knew he had worked at Warner Bros for many years, it was easy to guess at the answer, as you folks have. The consignor got them when the movie was being planned, because he thought they "looked interesting".

He only got the one set, and he is going to check with other people who worked there at that time to see if anyone else got these, but he doubts it.

I had a similar consignor a few years back who was the daughter of a man who had worked at Universal for many years, and he had a bunch of unusual design one-sheets on Universal movies that I had never seen before. I think they would make these prototypes and then choose a final version and only a few of these "rejected" styles survive.

Congratulations, Mark. I think you got something super-special, and I am glad they are staying together.

Bruce

Offline idioteque

• Hobbyist
« Reply #782 on: December 17, 2010, 10:18:11 PM »
I contacted the consignor, but since I knew he had worked at Warner Bros for many years, it was easy to guess at the answer, as you folks have. The consignor got them when the movie was being planned, because he thought they "looked interesting".

He only got the one set, and he is going to check with other people who worked there at that time to see if anyone else got these, but he doubts it.

I had a similar consignor a few years back who was the daughter of a man who had worked at Universal for many years, and he had a bunch of unusual design one-sheets on Universal movies that I had never seen before. I think they would make these prototypes and then choose a final version and only a few of these "rejected" styles survive.

Congratulations, Mark. I think you got something super-special, and I am glad they are staying together.

Bruce

It appears you got yourself a bargain there Mark. There'll be some envy in the air now.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #783 on: December 17, 2010, 11:17:55 PM »

It appears you got yourself a bargain there Mark. There'll be some envy in the air now.

For sure. Was, is and will be.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #784 on: December 28, 2010, 09:21:39 PM »
I have now seen it all.   laugh1

Offline idioteque

• Hobbyist
« Reply #785 on: December 29, 2010, 12:44:56 AM »
I have now seen it all.   laugh1

What have you seen?

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #786 on: December 29, 2010, 01:37:50 AM »

Don't know if envy is the right word.  The set found its way to the right collector.  With the kind of stuff Mark collects, and the rarity of what he puts together one sheet at a time (all pun intended), I'm hopeful that he'll one day compile a book of images to bring some of this stuff out into the light.  It's nice to know that after all of these years, and even with a huge name like Kubrick, that unseen posters still come out of the woodwork from time to time.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #787 on: December 29, 2010, 07:54:38 AM »
What have you seen?

That you have the coolest Tatekan set in the history of the world hanging on your wall. ;D

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #788 on: December 30, 2010, 06:18:01 PM »
Was anyone else watching this auction?  I wonder what the reserve was.  I tend to agree that its worth more than what the winning bidder would have got it for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=110629047591&si=iGgaUGSvXCvD8oAQz7c270g6zdA%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1156
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #789 on: December 30, 2010, 06:28:31 PM »
it's a very rare and great looking poster and the final bid I think is near to right.
Heritage sold one at the height of the poster season (meaning 2006-2008 when a couple buyers were spending $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$).
http://movieposters.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=633&Lot_No=28979

price was short of 7500 or something in the range of 5-6k for the average seller
so the $5788 bid should have resulted in a sale.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #790 on: December 30, 2010, 06:40:11 PM »
Interesting Rich.  I hadn't seen that sales result before, and I guess I just assumed that a 40x60 price would be well above that of the one sheet due to the increased rarity.  I guess it might have been a bad assumption, since that price is right in line with what a one sheet would go for.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

• Post-aholic
« Reply #791 on: December 30, 2010, 07:03:15 PM »
not only what you said, but you have other things to consider

#1 size - most collectors don't buy oversized posters, so prices reduce to that
#2 time frame offered.. it may have done much better in spring 2008
#3 not the poster most people are looking for on FP

rarity doesn't always transfer to price result

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #792 on: December 30, 2010, 08:38:43 PM »
not only what you said, but you have other things to consider

#1 size - most collectors don't buy oversized posters, so prices reduce to that
#2 time frame offered.. it may have done much better in spring 2008
#3 not the poster most people are looking for on FP

rarity doesn't always transfer to price result

Mmmm hmmm...look at 3 sheet results - many go for less than the one sheet despite presumably being far rarer...
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #793 on: December 30, 2010, 08:44:53 PM »
generally people like 1 Sheets, I often get people asking for a certain title, offer them a non one sheet size (bigger or smaller) and they say NO I WANT A REAL SIZED POSTER,  (hmm)
A FB 40x60 would look GREAT,
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #794 on: December 30, 2010, 09:24:50 PM »
Are 40x60 generally on card stock?
Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #795 on: December 30, 2010, 09:28:24 PM »
Mmmm hmmm...look at 3 sheet results - many go for less than the one sheet despite presumably being far rarer...

I see that too. Thats cause we cant frame em!  :P

Some of us like em on the walls  8)

I did pick up another Argentian one sheet tonight. Sweet and cheap lil poster it is. Film at 11.  8)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #796 on: December 30, 2010, 10:05:58 PM »

Yes, and rolled to boot.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #797 on: December 30, 2010, 10:27:38 PM »

generally but not always
some are even on 1sh paper & folded

oh .. one more reason people don't like oversized posters is how much real estate they take up on your wall

-------

Offline idioteque

• Hobbyist
« Reply #798 on: December 30, 2010, 10:45:52 PM »
Don't know if envy is the right word.  The set found its way to the right collector.  With the kind of stuff Mark collects, and the rarity of what he puts together one sheet at a time (all pun intended), I'm hopeful that he'll one day compile a book of images to bring some of this stuff out into the light.  It's nice to know that after all of these years, and even with a huge name like Kubrick, that unseen posters still come out of the woodwork from time to time.

Agreed, it's great that the set ended up with a true Kubrick admirer. However, as Mark said he had to bid quite agressively to land the set, therefore I guess a number of individuals may be suffering some degree of poster envy on being so close, but missing out on such unusual pieces.

Offline idioteque

• Hobbyist
« Reply #799 on: December 30, 2010, 10:47:10 PM »
That you have the coolest Tatekan set in the history of the world hanging on your wall. ;D

Thank you my friend.