Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837792 times)

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #725 on: December 12, 2010, 07:54:13 AM »
whats this, i found it in my recycling bag , must have got this with a poster

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #726 on: December 12, 2010, 02:11:38 PM »
Chirashi.  I have a collection of about 400 that I have gotten over the years.  Except for a lot of 100 that I bought off ebay for $5, every one I have was a freebie thrown into a tube of japanese posters.  It's a fun little side collection.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
« Reply #727 on: December 12, 2010, 02:51:24 PM »
Chirashi.  I have a collection of about 400 that I have gotten over the years.  Except for a lot of 100 that I bought off ebay for $5, every one I have was a freebie thrown into a tube of japanese posters.  It's a fun little side collection.

thanks i was going to throw it out but i'll keep it now

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #728 on: December 12, 2010, 05:32:30 PM »

Yeah, I've been trashing mine on a regular basis.  I've kept a few, but most of it is now gone.  I keep receiving them from time to time.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #729 on: December 12, 2010, 10:16:44 PM »
keep em, they are great to sell at markets, (chirasi), I put them in a folder and people flip through them, average person who doesnt collect posters, might see one that takes their fancy, knowing they can whack it in a $4 frame and enjoy it. Send em all to me might be better.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #730 on: December 13, 2010, 02:49:49 AM »
Very rare international American Werewolf in London one sheet. In typical Ebay style went from $50 to $313 in the last 15 seconds, way past my $115 bid.  Went for $600+ on Heritage this year.

Anybody other than Thierry have this?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #731 on: December 13, 2010, 03:19:03 AM »
Yes, I think someone does now, but I'm not 100% sure.  I would have bid on it again, but I was told not to.  Great price at $300.  They don't come around too often.

T

BTW, Mel... $115???  What were you thinking about?
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #732 on: December 13, 2010, 03:23:04 AM »
Randy had one, but he aint around anymore (come back Randy)
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #733 on: December 13, 2010, 09:05:48 AM »

Like Saw once said on MPF - "You gotta WANT it man!"

Just didn't want it enough....

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #734 on: December 13, 2010, 09:12:53 AM »
Yes, I think someone does now, but I'm not 100% sure.  I would have bid on it again, but I was told not to.  Great price at $300.  They don't come around too often.

T

No dice.  I pushed the bid to $310, but some one got it for a few bucks more.  Damn.  I appreciate you laying off on this one T so I would at least stand a chance. 

Or when you found out I was only bidding $310 did you buy it anyway?  ;)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #735 on: December 13, 2010, 11:04:23 AM »
I bought mine for $137 in 2007.  But because AAWIL is one of my favorite movies of the 80s and I'm still missing a few pieces on the title, I've been checking Ebay regularly since and haven't seen this poster pop up again.  So when you said $300, I thought that it'd be a great buy, but I also knew it could go much higher.  I don't think I would have bid more, probably $200 since I already own it.  I'll keep my eyes peeled for the next one for you.
My Personal Collection

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #736 on: December 13, 2010, 11:19:09 AM »
For some reason I think I might have that poster but I can't remember for sure. I know when I made my website I have over 400 posters and I was sure I missed something in my collection. Actually I felt I missed about 5 to 10 posters but wasn't sure. Now it is a pain in the ass to go looking for stuff, which sucks because I'm probably going to have to go looking for it to confirm if I have it or not. But if for some reason I don't have it, then that will be a big waste of time. Jeez - this is why you don't wait until you have too many posters to keep up with before you start your website. It will get out of control and you can't keep up with everything.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 01:38:11 PM by supraman079 »

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
« Reply #737 on: December 13, 2010, 01:39:53 PM »
Ok, found it. I didn't take a picture of everything I own, but this was one I did take a picture of. So I added it to the website. I've had it for 2 or 3 years now.

An American Werewolf in London

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #738 on: December 13, 2010, 01:52:51 PM »
Looks to be in great condition too... not bad for a poster you forgot you had!

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
« Reply #739 on: December 13, 2010, 03:17:48 PM »
Looks to be in great condition too... not bad for a poster you forgot you had!

Yeah, I remember thinking the red blood splattered wolf is a lot better in person than in a picture. That is why I was sure I had that poster. I remember it laying in my floor and thinking about the blood looking better in person than on the stock photo. Thankfully I found it because if not then I would probably need to check myself into a hospital.

Although I did find some tubes of Alamo Posters today that I forgot I had in the process. I just have too much stuff.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #740 on: December 13, 2010, 04:11:24 PM »
Since apparently I'm the one who told you to buy this American Werewolf poster and I have zero recollection of it, then Mental Hospital, here I come!

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #741 on: December 13, 2010, 04:32:59 PM »
Since apparently I'm the one who told you to buy this American Werewolf poster and I have zero recollection of it, then Mental Hospital, here I come!

T

laugh1

One destiny will be fulfilled  :P

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #742 on: December 14, 2010, 11:29:49 PM »
My name is Dread Pirate Mel.

You bought this Butch Cassidy Style A on Ebay just before I was going to.

Prepare to die.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #743 on: December 14, 2010, 11:42:41 PM »
My name is Dread Pirate Mel.

You bought this Butch Cassidy Style A on Ebay just before I was going to.

Prepare to die.

That seems like an awful lot for that particular style Mel... any reason you so intent on buying it at $200 instead of waiting for it to come up for a proper auction (low starting price)?  It is not even the domestic version (marked DOM and has 'M' rating). 

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #744 on: December 14, 2010, 11:51:44 PM »
I also missed out on a poster tonight... but I lost this one fair and square.  I would normally bid higher, but Mark caught me a tight time with some recent purchases and the holidays coming up.  I think this is by far the best english-language poster I've seen for this film... even better than the too-action-y quad.  Enjoy your spoils!

If anyone comes across one of these again, I would appreciate a heads up. 

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2036256

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #745 on: December 15, 2010, 04:22:15 AM »
Thanks...and sorry Harry. I hadn't seen this rare poster before and was determined to get it.

Mark

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #746 on: December 15, 2010, 07:14:26 AM »
Thanks...and sorry Harry. I hadn't seen this rare poster before and was determined to get it.

Mark

Saw that one. Very very very cool poster. Gratz Mark.

Harry. Dont feel bad. I didnt even bid on anything for a serious fear of winning it.  :P

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #747 on: December 15, 2010, 09:08:32 AM »

Mark

Apologizing for winning? There's no crying in baseball and no apologizing for winning at auctions!  And stop crying, HC, it's embarassing.  Last year Holiday "Porky" Russell beat me on a Fifth Element B1 and I wasn't blubbering....

« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 09:20:00 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #748 on: December 15, 2010, 10:30:32 AM »
I wouldn't normally Mel, but I thought you needed consoling after all your whining about missing the chance to overpay for a FOR-stamped Butch Cassidy with the less desirable artwork.

At least the poster I missed out on was uber rare and kicked major ass! :P

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #749 on: December 15, 2010, 03:50:46 PM »
I wouldn't normally Mel, but I thought you needed consoling after all your whining about missing the chance to overpay for a FOR-stamped Butch Cassidy with the less desirable artwork.

At least the poster I missed out on was uber rare and kicked major ass! :P

Hey, HC, what is the story with the missing rating box on the non-domestic Style A? (I already have an Italian sheet similar to B, so I want the A). Why is that less valuable? All the three sheets for the style A lack the ratings box but most of the one sheets do have it.  I saw on MOPO that people have mentioned that the version with the ratings box is more valuable.  That poster usually sells for $250+ at auctions, so $199 was not unreasonable it seems.