Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838099 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #8850 on: December 07, 2016, 02:09:29 PM »
I wonder if we can expect a glut of these Frankie repos now that the bootlegger had such a great score, or will the seller accept that fortune smiled on them this one time and slink back into the shadows like a good little scumbag?

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I dropped the seller a note nicely explaining the probable origin of the image that was on the piece he sold. I just gave him info and didnt attack, as he might have picked this up in some shop or second hand store, and truly not be aware of what it was.

If he should reply back, I will share it here.

-Jeff

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8851 on: December 07, 2016, 06:51:41 PM »
I dropped the seller a note nicely explaining the probable origin of the image that was on the piece he sold. I just gave him info and didnt attack, as he might have picked this up in some shop or second hand store, and truly not be aware of what it was.

If he should reply back, I will share it here.

Right on.  cool1

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8852 on: December 08, 2016, 12:46:10 AM »
I got a reply from the seller of that Frankie piece this evening. Unless he's just blowing smoke, he sounded sincere and like he will do right by the winning bidder.  thumbsup.gif

Here's what he wrote to me:

"Hello,

Thanks so much for your input. I wasn't sure where it came from or if it was a magazine reproduction or what. The only thing I can think of is that it came out of an art magazine. For instance, some magazines have art on one side and nothing on the back. And it probably was one of those, taken from the poster you discussed and printed later. It maybe that it was printed from the late 90s or later, like when you said the original was bought, and just shown in the magazine and just looks older than it is.

But don't worry, I have had others come forward after the auction with similar information and I have forwarded that to the winner through email. It is not my intention to be dishonest and I have received some messages after the auction whereas some eBay members have been very rude about it and said I either bought a reproduction or that I copied it myself. But honestly, it was just in my uncle's old movie collection that I've been selling off. And since he is no longer with us, it is hard for me to know specifics sometimes on some of the items like this one.

So I thank you for being so kind in your message.

Sincerely, Mike"

-Jeff

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8853 on: December 08, 2016, 01:59:55 AM »
It seems sometimes people just don't know what they have - good to hear he is contacting the buyer - up to them now if they proceed which you would think is unlikely
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 02:02:35 AM by Damomac »
- Damo (An Aussie Movie Poster Lover)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #8854 on: December 09, 2016, 04:35:18 AM »
Seems the two Jaws posters managed just to squeak over the $300 barrier in Bruce's auction last night - again!

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #8855 on: December 09, 2016, 04:38:49 PM »
Seems the two Jaws posters managed just to squeak over the $300 barrier in Bruce's auction last night - again!

laugh1

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #8856 on: December 14, 2016, 09:50:14 AM »
Had my eye on the two Rita Hayworth S2 posters (Lady from Shanghai & Gilda). Final prices $250 and $284.

Is that a fair price for the S2's?

Part of me really wanted them but the other part said $500+ for what are basically two recreations was too much. I know they are supposed to be great quality so maybe I've missed out!

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/search/S2/results.html

vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8857 on: December 14, 2016, 11:11:28 AM »
I can see why someone might want to buy them - just to own an image from a great film, the original of which is completely out of reach (for most of us).

I remember when I first started going to film fairs, I bought repro posters of much lesser quality but for only a couple of pounds each (which makes a big difference). Eventually though, I found what attracted me most was owning original release paper which gave me some sort of connection to the time when the film was first shown. The S2's, however good they might be, just don't have that quality and I, personally, wouldn't buy them for that reason.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8858 on: December 14, 2016, 01:27:45 PM »
Had my eye on the two Rita Hayworth S2 posters (Lady from Shanghai & Gilda). Final prices $250 and $284.

Is that a fair price for the S2's?

Part of me really wanted them but the other part said $500+ for what are basically two recreations was too much. I know they are supposed to be great quality so maybe I've missed out!

you may still be able to buy these at https://www.rueroyalefinearts.com/shop/posters/art-of-the-movies/

and they will deal if you call them up

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #8859 on: December 14, 2016, 02:55:24 PM »
Rich,

Brilliant, thanks for the link.

Marc
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8860 on: December 14, 2016, 04:43:33 PM »
Rich,

Brilliant, thanks for the link.

Marc

you're welcome. they're actually just down the road from where I live a short bit.

they bought the company that was S2 in order to get the printing presses.

-------

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #8861 on: December 16, 2016, 10:39:26 AM »
Bruce got some good prices last night on some really nice items.

I picked up a half dozen nice musical lobby cards, but I am kicking myself this morning for the one that got away:

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4469184

It went for $1500, and I dropped out around $900, but this is nearly a unicorn and was flawless.  I really wish I had hung in there :(
-Jay-

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #8862 on: December 16, 2016, 10:16:42 PM »
I never will get the price the S2 go for. It is a recreation/reproduction hybrid. At least with the print market you get new artwork.  High quality, expensive to create reprint in my book, but to each their own, what makes collecting interesting I guess.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8863 on: December 16, 2016, 11:16:27 PM »
I agree with Dale 110%.  These are reprints, pure and simple.  I will never buy one.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8865 on: January 12, 2017, 11:17:12 PM »
Kudos to Bruce.  Really.  Even in "good" condition, which I would not touch with a ten foot poll.

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4495373
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4495374
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4495372

T

How are any of these more "middle of the road" posters garnering that kind of coin? I dont get it... Not in the least.  dontknow.gif

« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 02:10:37 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8866 on: January 12, 2017, 11:33:17 PM »
I actually think the posters are great.  One of the best campaigns of the year, imo.  But worth $20 a piece.

T
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8867 on: January 12, 2017, 11:38:21 PM »
I actually think the posters are great.  One of the best campaigns of the year, imo.  But worth $20 a piece.

T

and they will be soon, probably at the same venue...

-------

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #8868 on: January 13, 2017, 12:08:07 AM »
Yeah, hyped movies often see prices like this soon after release.

I remember seeing high prices for stuff like No Country For Old Men, Black Swan, Girlfriend Experience, Drive, etc

Many of those went for $200 or more and can now be had for under $50.

I wish I had sold my copies of those posters at the height of the hype!

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #8869 on: January 13, 2017, 09:53:40 AM »

"I always find bidders with low feedbacks are a second ID for the seller to push up the prices."

Yes, sometimes that is true.

Another thing that happens frequently is that jealous haters/dealers/collectors just like to mess with other peoples auctions. It happens to us on at least a few items every time we run our no reserve ebay auctions. Someone creates a new id, bids on several items, and then never pays for them. All of their contact info is phony. There are a lot of jackasses out there with too much time on their hands. All we can do is report them to ebay and eventually that bidder id gets deleted. However, if we report it to ebay and tell them who we think it is, and ebay can compare the ip address of the fake account to a real account and it matches, then both accounts will be suspended.

And as for bidding on your own items in an auction to drive up the price (shilling), ebay has strict rules against this and if they catch you the penalties are severe. They can track ip addresses and have other tricks and ways to see if you are breaking their rules.

Offline basemem

• Hobbyist
    • Poster Collector
« Reply #8870 on: January 13, 2017, 01:26:14 PM »
Kudos to Bruce.  Really.  Even in "good" condition, which I would not touch with a ten foot poll.

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4495373
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4495374
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4495372

T

I agree and think they are great posters but definitely not $300-$140 posters!. I had some bids going a few auctions back on EMP and got outbid by 'Galaxy2001', don't know who it is but was very willing to beat high bidders on some lesser titles often paying significantly more than previous highs. Good luck to them who ever they are and hope they enjoy the posters.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8871 on: January 13, 2017, 01:46:41 PM »
Good luck to them who ever they are and hope they enjoy the posters.

thumbsup.gif  That made me laugh.  Thanks,

T
My Personal Collection

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #8872 on: January 13, 2017, 05:05:40 PM »
The original Lamp Post version double sided LA LA LAND one sheets (without the awards/nominations text) are unbelievably tough to find in great condition. Unless a boatload are suddenly dumped on the open market, this will be a very valuable poster in the future.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8873 on: January 14, 2017, 12:15:30 AM »
Cool.  I have 3 mint ones.  I guess I'm unbelievably rich :)

T
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8874 on: January 15, 2017, 07:56:16 PM »
Amazing.  I usually can't bid on Heritage stuff because I'm out and about, but today the Packers/Cowboys game kept me inside.  I've been attempting to bid and got overbid on 7 items already (won 2).  People spend a lot of money on very random stuff, which is good for the hobby, I guess.

T
My Personal Collection