Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837266 times)

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #8825 on: November 23, 2016, 06:59:17 AM »
Just as a side issue to the Rear Window auction, I noticed that the under bidder on $5000 has a zero feedback rating. What's this about? Must be a serious bidder/collector to be engaging at that level. Do some high end bidders open new ebay accounts to use on certain auctions as a way of disguising their usual ebay ID ?

It's just not something I have noticed occurring in the more run-of-the-mill auctions that bottom feeders like myself participate in.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #8826 on: November 23, 2016, 11:16:08 AM »
I always find bidders with low feedbacks are a second ID for the seller to push up the prices..
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8827 on: November 23, 2016, 11:24:24 AM »
I always find bidders with low feedbacks are a second ID for the seller to push up the prices..

Yup.
Unscrupulous bastardos.

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8828 on: November 23, 2016, 12:06:57 PM »

Well, the next lower bid was for $1000 - that's some push!

I was hoping for a more innocent explanation - I wonder what the winning bidder's reaction might be?

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #8829 on: November 23, 2016, 12:26:35 PM »
They do tend to push to where they will be happy to sell, seen it many times.  The problem is if the winner was happy to bid that price, they'll also be happy they won it, you could say a win-win..   dontknow.gif

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8830 on: November 23, 2016, 12:54:18 PM »
And it could also be an actual first time bidder. Even those with deep pockets that are new to the bay have to start somewhere. And that would mean someone with zero feedback on their first auction. coffee

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #8831 on: November 23, 2016, 07:40:06 PM »
............auctions that bottom feeders like myself participate in.

I am sure you do yourself a disservice.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #8832 on: November 23, 2016, 07:55:51 PM »
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4444272

I do hope someone from this board bought this, and that they would have performed on it a full rescue.

And that they would share the After image.

It looks great.

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8833 on: November 24, 2016, 04:05:51 AM »
Yes, I saw that one - what a great poster. Although not in the best condition, when will you see another, if ever?

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #8834 on: November 24, 2016, 08:07:48 AM »
It's an absolute beauty for sure. That's going to look amazing once restored.
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8835 on: December 06, 2016, 02:46:09 PM »
I was watching this item on ebay. It closed yesterday, on Dec 5th. Did anyone else see it? It looks like someone took an image of the Frankenstein 6 sheet, shrunk it down and then distressed/aged the 11x16 inch paper to make it look like a vintage piece. There is no printer's info on the wide bottom border. And aside from the Morgan logo that is printed on the 6sh, nothing.

Yet is got 26 bids and sold for $1259.00  :o 

I think someone is gonna be a Very Unhappy camper.  crying

The seller attached this note at the bottom, which sort of comes across as the ultimate in a buyer doing his/her own due diligence, as the seller says he can find no information about this piece or what it really is. So it really protects him, seems like, from having to give a refund. Im surprised it went this high with disclaimer attached:

"Note: I have been asked many questions about this poster and unfortunately, no one has come forward with any information on it. In addition, I have not been able to find anything on it either. I've tried researching it and I cannot find a poster for this movie that is this size. So I don't know if it came out of a magazine or trade ad or what. I wish I had more information. I'm very sorry that I do not know more.  Thanks for your interest.

Sincerely, Mike-featurepresentationmoviegallery"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Original-Photo-Poster-Odd-Size-1931-Frankenstein-Very-Rare-Boris-Karloff-/232157433954?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=VIn9giX82K86Pgp7d4giaJ3%252FVdE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

And the reverse side:

« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 06:50:26 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8836 on: December 06, 2016, 03:17:02 PM »
Wow.  The fact is the title clearly states "vintage original...very rare..."  The disclaimer that he has no idea what it is doesn't change that he has it listed as "original" etc.

A lot of tomfoolery in the world.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8837 on: December 06, 2016, 03:19:18 PM »
Wow.  The fact is the title clearly states "vintage original...very rare..."  The disclaimer that he has no idea what it is doesn't change that he has it listed as "original" etc.

A lot of tomfoolery in the world.

I forgot about that title description, Brandon... so yeah.. the seller could be on the hook, if the buyer challenges that 11x16 size item as being "rare and vintage."  The seller can't have it both ways. How does he know it's old and vintage if he says he cant even identify what it is?  hmmm.gif
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 03:25:33 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8838 on: December 06, 2016, 03:29:47 PM »
Right.  In a sense, it's nice that he put the disclaimer on there, after being informed that it's probably not "original" etc.  The better course of action IMO would be to relist it with a more accurate title and description.  Hopefully he'll stand behind what he sells and will offer the buyer a full refund if he/she requests it.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8839 on: December 06, 2016, 03:44:59 PM »
Now if one of these had been snagged for $1259.00, that would have been the steal of the century!!   notworthy.gif notworthy.gif

-Jeff

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #8840 on: December 06, 2016, 04:02:56 PM »
Now if one of these had been snagged for $1259.00, that would have been the steal of the century!!   notworthy.gif notworthy.gif

Jeff! What did I tell you about snooping around in my house!  ;D
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8841 on: December 06, 2016, 04:31:35 PM »
We all know how the definition of certain words on ebay have been strained to beyond breaking point. "Rare" now might as well mean common; "vintage" can mean anywhere between a hundred years old to printed last week. "Original" is a word you would think you could invest more certainty into but you see it used to describe a lot of stills, for instance, which in the finer print say are original to the 70s and 80s for a film released in the 1930s.

Those old sayings always hold good: buyer beware, and if it seems too good to be true it usually is. 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8842 on: December 06, 2016, 04:32:19 PM »
Jeff! What did I tell you about snooping around in my house!  ;D

Marc, I only did after finding the house key in the exact spot you said it would be hidden.  GoOn.gif

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8843 on: December 06, 2016, 04:36:05 PM »
We all know how the definition of certain words on ebay have been strained to beyond breaking point. "Rare" now might as well mean common; "vintage" can mean anywhere between a hundred years old to printed last week. "Original" is a word you would think you could invest more certainty into but you see it used to describe a lot of stills, for instance, which in the finer print say are original to the 70s and 80s for a film released in the 1930s.

Those old sayings always hold good: buyer beware, and if it seems too good to be true it usually is.

And aside from all of the descriptives, the size alone on this one should have raised some huge red flags, as it sounded like the seller got a handful of questions about it. I guess those that bid 26 times (inc the automatic bids) were hoping that this was something truly wonderful and rare.

And maybe it is rare, if only one was created and printed up. A true, one-of-a-kind.  ;D

-Jeff

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #8844 on: December 06, 2016, 05:34:54 PM »
Like Chris said down at VMPF, the discolouration in the middle of the ebay item is almost identical to the one in Fishler's 6 sheet. Image was probably lifted from there.
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8845 on: December 06, 2016, 05:35:22 PM »
I was watching that Frankie on Ebay and couldn't believe that some ass-head spent that much money on such a fake.
Whoever won that POS deserves it.
 laugh1 qip laugh1

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8846 on: December 06, 2016, 06:04:09 PM »
I was watching that Frankie on Ebay and couldn't believe that some ass-head spent that much money on such a fake.
Whoever won that POS deserves it.
 laugh1 qip laugh1

And think of all the others that were legitimately vying for it, too. I dont get it.  Doh.gif

One look at that blindingly white bottom border area should have also alerted the media.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 06:52:58 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #8847 on: December 07, 2016, 09:35:37 AM »
I wonder if we can expect a glut of these Frankie repos now that the bootlegger had such a great score, or will the seller accept that fortune smiled on them this one time and slink back into the shadows like a good little scumbag?

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #8848 on: December 07, 2016, 11:33:57 AM »
I'm knocking some out now, may as well cash in..... ;)

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #8849 on: December 07, 2016, 01:40:30 PM »
I'm knocking some out now, may as well cash in..... ;)

Hay wait a minute, mine are almost dry, we can;t both dump them on the market at the same time it'll look fishy.

Deplorable is all I can say in reality, this is what destroys many fledgling collectors right out of the box.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!