Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838085 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #8800 on: November 20, 2016, 01:48:02 AM »
How many would have been printed? It's a modern flick, (1998) so I would think many would have been produced?

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #8801 on: November 20, 2016, 01:51:25 AM »
How many would have been printed? It's a modern flick, (1998) so I would think many would have been produced?

no idea, but frequently, International styles are printed in smaller quantities than regular styles and they're of course, shipped all over the world & get a wider distribution factor. (meaning Instead of 20,000 posters distributed mostly to US cinemas and available in our geographic area, you have a smaller number spread out over the globe)

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8802 on: November 20, 2016, 01:52:36 AM »
Thanks, Rich.   sm1

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8803 on: November 20, 2016, 02:54:33 AM »
How can a rolled dated Revenge of the Jedi sell three times more than a folded undated RotJ or a rolled Style C?  I mean, I shouldn't complain since I own a few rolled RotJ, but it doesn't make any sense.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8804 on: November 20, 2016, 03:14:42 AM »
How can a rolled dated Revenge of the Jedi sell three times more than a folded undated RotJ or a rolled Style C?  I mean, I shouldn't complain since I own a few rolled RotJ, but it doesn't make any sense.

T

obviously it's the 'rolled part' and the fact that it was in better condition, but the other question - I think what's happening with that poster is that it's getting cred for being the boldest image for the series across all the theatrical posters for the USA

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline greysm

• Hobbyist
    • Director of US Poster Auctions
« Reply #8805 on: November 20, 2016, 11:53:52 AM »
as to prices seeming low. It's a combination, areas with lessening interest, future economic considerations with the new president, maybe even some aggressive estimates.

I think Rich may be correct on both counts here. As for the estimates, they are merely potential values based on our previous sales in most instances. Not really having at all to do with reserves as they are almost a nonexistent factor now. 90% or more of the auctions are no reserve.

There is some serious discussion of eliminating the estimates in our future auctions as we've found the buyers are pretty astute as to values and best to just print the opening bid.
What are your thoughts?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8806 on: November 20, 2016, 02:43:29 PM »
I personally like the estimates.  And I'm used to them.  Sotheby's, Christie's, they all have them.  They help me categorize posters in my head even though I know they are only a tentative evaluation and can be completely off.  I always look at past sales before I bid, and that's the only evaluation I believe, the one I come up with.  But the catalog evaluations are a nice and helpful guideline.

Nice sale btw, Grey.  I didn't get a lot of what I wanted but I got a few I'm happy with.

T
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 02:46:59 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Post-aholic

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8808 on: November 20, 2016, 03:16:44 PM »
Congrats, too, on the auction, Grey. Just a very few things didnt get scarfed up. Nice job!! clap clap

-Jeff

Offline greysm

• Hobbyist
    • Director of US Poster Auctions
« Reply #8809 on: November 20, 2016, 05:32:31 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I've always felt estimates are merely guidelines, but there are sources one can look to for past sales history on many items.
I am feeling a bit of pressure as many if not most of our other venues have stopped using estimates. I don't know whether it is just my being used to them and believe them valuable or perhaps just reticent to change.
The feedback helps!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8810 on: November 20, 2016, 07:06:10 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I've always felt estimates are merely guidelines, but there are sources one can look to for past sales history on many items.
I am feeling a bit of pressure as many if not most of our other venues have stopped using estimates. I don't know whether it is just my being used to them and believe them valuable or perhaps just reticent to change.
The feedback helps!

I fail to see why they should stop using estimates. There is information there, even if it's only minor information (like what opening bid is for the most part, as well as historic price reference)

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8811 on: November 22, 2016, 02:30:00 PM »
For sure, this makes me feel better about what I spent on mine, still the only original I have ever seen.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Roughoutline

• Beginner
« Reply #8812 on: November 22, 2016, 02:37:33 PM »
You have that poster? How much did you pay and what year?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8813 on: November 22, 2016, 03:05:12 PM »
Figures that if anyone would turn up with another copy, it would be Dominique.

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8814 on: November 22, 2016, 03:46:29 PM »
Except, except, except, it is not the original.  It is a restrike.  It was probably printed during the initial release, presumably due to the success of the film.  I think it can be called an original because it is the only copy you will find.  But it is a far cry from my original.

Check out the differences...  This is what makes collecting French posters so difficult.  If I didn't own the one I have, I would have bid on Besson's.

Mine...

Bessons

T
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8815 on: November 22, 2016, 03:49:20 PM »
You have that poster? How much did you pay and what year?

Both of them are from the year of release, one after the other.  And I paid too much at the time, but maybe not enough today.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8816 on: November 22, 2016, 03:57:03 PM »
Thanks for the comparison, T. Your colors are much more vibrant, and in looking at the printer's info on the lower left border, there looks to be a difference in the wording, too. Do you think these were printed by 2 different printing companies?

Looking closer, the printer on your copy is named at the bottom center (Aussel). The Besson copy is missing that, but I cant make out the info on the left border of his.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 04:01:38 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8817 on: November 22, 2016, 04:00:52 PM »
Yes, mine was printed by Aussel.  And it is not so much that the colors are different, Besson's copy doesn't have any colors.  Just red.  Check out the windows on the right.  But again, Besson's copy is the only one you will find, if you find it at all.  So the price is not crazy.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8818 on: November 22, 2016, 04:06:28 PM »
Yes, mine was printed by Aussel.  And it is not so much that the colors are different, Besson's copy doesn't have any colors.  Just red.  Check out the windows on the right.  But again, Besson's copy is the only one you will find, if you find it at all.  So the price is not crazy.

T

So interesting. It also looks like the Besson copy has a black ink smudge above Soubie's name as well as one just to the right of the T in Stewart. Maybe these toned down, more colorless copies were more quickly printed to get them out into the public ASAP?

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8819 on: November 22, 2016, 05:15:18 PM »
here's a question I have T

In the USA, NSS has a number of regional offices, each of which might print their own stock of the posters from films supplied by the studios & main NSS offices in L.A. & NYC

were French posters done the same way? Or were all the posters for any particular release all printed by one printer for one office & distributed from one focal point?

-------

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #8820 on: November 22, 2016, 05:44:29 PM »
A propos of very nearly nothing, and certainly not poster related...

I have two British campaign books for From Russia with Love.  1963

One printed by Delow and Co
The other printed by Rawlings and Walsh

The only difference between the two being manifested on the back page where there are a couple of type resettings and a page frame redesigned.

I only came across this as I Had to buy the second campaign book to get something else I was after in the same bundle.  I fully expected to sell on the duplicate.  Of course, in the end, I kept both.

Anyway, to illustrate precedents, different printers were used in the UK in nearly the same era.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8821 on: November 22, 2016, 05:51:55 PM »
A propos of very nearly nothing, and certainly not poster related...

I have two British campaign books for From Russia with Love.  1963

One printed by Delow and Co
The other printed by Rawlings and Walsh

The only difference between the two being manifested on the back page where there are a couple of type resettings and a page frame redesigned.

I only came across this as I Had to buy the second campaign book to get something else I was after in the same bundle.  I fully expected to sell on the duplicate.  Of course, in the end, I kept both.

Anyway, to illustrate precedents, different printers were used in the UK in nearly the same era.

and it makes plenty of sense, when you consider costs of packaging, shipping & labor on a regular basis & the farther you ship, the higher the costs

-------

Offline Roughoutline

• Beginner
« Reply #8822 on: November 22, 2016, 07:12:24 PM »
Wow T! That poster is absolute stunning!

Where does Besson find these posters? His listings are always incredible. Shame he doesn't provide proper listing info, but you buy what you see, so that's fair enough.

I had a 1,400 euro bid ready going into the last minute, seems completely laughable now.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8823 on: November 22, 2016, 07:42:14 PM »
In many ways, Besson seems to be the Benito of France with both of them always having and showing rare and beautiful posters.

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8824 on: November 22, 2016, 10:18:49 PM »
here's a question I have T

In the USA, NSS has a number of regional offices, each of which might print their own stock of the posters from films supplied by the studios & main NSS offices in L.A. & NYC

were French posters done the same way? Or were all the posters for any particular release all printed by one printer for one office & distributed from one focal point?

The size of the US would have made it very difficult (and expensive) to have all the posters printed on the West coast and distributed everywhere else, thus the use of many regional offices.  France is a little larger than CA and smaller than TX, so it's much easier to have one office print them all and distribute them.  But depending on prices and availability, French distributors would go from one printer to another.

T
My Personal Collection