Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837564 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #8700 on: August 18, 2016, 12:20:41 AM »
The age of golden Cinema (silent and sound) shall never perish.  notworthy.gif
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 12:30:56 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8701 on: August 18, 2016, 01:24:36 PM »
I thought this was an interesting result. It sold on Tues for $1424.00

The linen backed, US OS for the western, Red River (1948):

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4335243

The poster art itself isnt overly eye-grabbing. But it is a Howard Hawks flicker, with John Wayne. The last linen backed copy EMP sold, in 2013, went for $1350.00 and several other backed copies, sold about 10 years ago in the $425-450.00 range.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 02:30:15 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8702 on: August 18, 2016, 10:56:26 PM »
So the Kong 24-sheet fetched a cool 16k, but the highlight of the auction for me was far and away the Dr. Jekyll 1887 stage poster. Fab to see such it do well at $5261

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4337398

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8703 on: August 18, 2016, 11:11:19 PM »
This 100+ yr old French, Chaplin 1P poster finished up at $888.00

Fun art on this, too.

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4337386

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8704 on: August 19, 2016, 12:34:09 AM »
Damn!!!  I had 5 posters on my list, but I was taking care of my kids all day and I completely forgot.  Damn Damn Damn...  Upsetting!

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #8705 on: August 19, 2016, 05:32:27 AM »
So the Kong 24-sheet fetched a cool 16k, but the highlight of the auction for me was far and away the Dr. Jekyll 1887 stage poster. Fab to see such it do well at $5261

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4337398

This is the one poster that caught my eye in this auction.
Absolutely stunning.

Anyone else think the Kong poster didn't do as well as it should have?
I guess due the vast size it put people off.
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #8706 on: August 19, 2016, 06:57:38 AM »
I thought the image of Kong himself was not that special.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8707 on: August 19, 2016, 11:19:10 AM »
I thought the image of Kong himself was not that special.

I'm with you here, Steve. His head was drawn as sort of just a lump or mound looking shape, lacking any real detail.

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #8708 on: August 19, 2016, 02:44:29 PM »
I got distracted last night and didn't get a bid in on this one.  It went for a lot less than I expected, and I certainly would have bid a bunch higher.
It went for $970.  Last time out the same poster went for just under $3500.
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4337456

-Jay-

Offline archstanton

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8709 on: August 19, 2016, 02:55:40 PM »
It's too bad emovie doesn't have a smartphone app that would you remind you when an item you're atching is closing; something like eBay's. 

I often miss out on Bruce's auctions because I'm busy doing other things and then completely forget they're ending. 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8710 on: August 19, 2016, 03:03:52 PM »
I got distracted last night and didn't get a bid in on this one.  It went for a lot less than I expected, and I certainly would have bid a bunch higher.
It went for $970.  Last time out the same poster went for just under $3500.
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4337456

Wow... beautiful HS, for sure. And that's quite the drop in a realized price, for the very same piece, in just under 3 years. I wonder. Was the $3100.00 price paid back in 2013 considered high? Or is $970 closer to what a HS from this movie would normally go for?

But it might be hard to say, as material from Swing Time doesnt seem to show up all that often.

-Jeff

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #8711 on: August 19, 2016, 03:04:50 PM »
It's too bad emovie doesn't have a smartphone app that would you remind you when an item you're atching is closing; something like eBay's. 

I often miss out on Bruce's auctions because I'm busy doing other things and then completely forget they're ending.
though you can get an email notification of your watched items up to one day prior. its in the Members tab/ Preferences.
better than nothing I guess.  dontknow.gif

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #8712 on: August 19, 2016, 04:11:26 PM »
Wow... beautiful HS, for sure. And that's quite the drop in a realized price, for the very same piece, in just under 3 years. I wonder. Was the $3100.00 price paid back in 2013 considered high? Or is $970 closer to what a HS from this movie would normally go for?

But it might be hard to say, as material from Swing Time doesnt seem to show up all that often.

It's the only copy I know of, and it's only been sold twice.  Never seen it on HA.  David put up that Danish for $10k last week.  Swing Time is arguably Astaire and Rogers best work, although a case can be made for Top Hat as well.  But I have some Top Hat paper and nothing for Swing Time.  LeBummer, and I'm kicking myself for letting someone steal it.
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8713 on: August 19, 2016, 04:40:57 PM »
It's the only copy I know of, and it's only been sold twice.  Never seen it on HA.  David put up that Danish for $10k last week.  Swing Time is arguably Astaire and Rogers best work, although a case can be made for Top Hat as well.  But I have some Top Hat paper and nothing for Swing Time.  LeBummer, and I'm kicking myself for letting someone steal it.

I'm thinking the consignor (who was also the 2013 buyer, per the EMP description, & who shelled out the $3100.00 back then) wasn't too thrilled with this steal, either.  crying

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #8714 on: August 19, 2016, 04:55:16 PM »

the poster sold in 2011 Jeff, by Heritage for $2868
hard to argue that the venue didn't benefit the consignor in 2011

HA has sold the poster a few times, always for 1900+ or more
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 04:57:06 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8715 on: August 19, 2016, 04:55:33 PM »

I think Heritage has sold 3 half sheets with only 1 of them being in decent condition....the Swing Time half sheet that just sold had a bit too much restoration for me...I remember the first time it sold for $3100 and thinking that was a lot.....But I was looking at it closely both times....I agree that Top Hat and Swing Time are the best Astaire/Rogers ...... and the half sheets for both films are really excellent examples of mid 1930's RKO paper IMHO...

I'm looking for a Title card which I think has nice representative artwork....I'm kind of kicking myself for selling 4 of the scene lobby cards that I got from Morrie.....but I still kept this one...Enjoy!!

Tait

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8716 on: August 19, 2016, 05:09:54 PM »
I think Heritage has sold 3 half sheets with only 1 of them being in decent condition....the Swing Time half sheet that just sold had a bit too much restoration for me...I remember the first time it sold for $3100 and thinking that was a lot.....But I was looking at it closely both times....I agree that Top Hat and Swing Time are the best Astaire/Rogers ...... and the half sheets for both films are really excellent examples of mid 1930's RKO paper IMHO...

I'm looking for a Title card which I think has nice representative artwork....I'm kind of kicking myself for selling 4 of the scene lobby cards that I got from Morrie.....but I still kept this one...Enjoy!!

And in looking at the descriptions of the three HS that were sold on HA, none look to be repeat performers.

Nice looking LC there, too, Tait.

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #8717 on: August 19, 2016, 07:40:33 PM »

quite jealous of that card.  I'd 'settle' in a heartbeat.

I've been concentrating on lobbies of classic musicals for a few years now.  Currently have about 1150 cards and about half are musicals. I like the lobbies for several reasons.  First, they tend to be less expensive for a given title.  Second, you can display a large number of titles in a small space.  You can even place them in albums.  Finally, they take me back to my childhood when we used to stand outside the theaters and get a feel for the feature that week from having the lobbies tell a story.

In the past, I have been a bit of a bottom feeder, but that means I have a fair number of titles nobody else wants.  Still doing that a bit, but lately I have been stepping up my game and going after the higher quality cards.  I expect that means we will likely see each other over a few auctions.
-Jay-

Online ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #8718 on: August 26, 2016, 10:11:36 AM »

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #8719 on: August 26, 2016, 10:42:03 AM »
Wow, talk about a WTF 635.00 for the Star Wars B2 -  http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4341609

Look at the history.  Two Star Wars completists beating up on each other.
-Jay-

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8720 on: August 26, 2016, 11:25:02 AM »
I'm thinking the consignor (who was also the 2013 buyer, per the EMP description, & who shelled out the $3100.00 back then) wasn't too thrilled with this steal, either.  crying

and by falling short of $1000, he doesn't even get Bruce's best commission rate. Double Whammy.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8721 on: September 01, 2016, 11:39:56 PM »
This is what happens when you don't do any research, check an auction on your iphone while it is happening, and do it all while driving a car loaded with boxes: you overpay :) 

It just happened to me today, but I'm okay with it because 1) I really wanted the item I won and 2) I was determined not to let the other asshole get it, especially since he was bidding within 30 seconds and upsetting me.  This is exactly why Bruce's auctions can be so dangerous.

Seems like those auctions of lobby card sets are getting more and more expensive, though.  I had to let at least 10 items go because they sold for way above what they are worth.  Good for Bruce.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #8722 on: September 02, 2016, 10:56:55 AM »
This is what happens when you don't do any research, check an auction on your iphone while it is happening, and do it all while driving a car loaded with boxes: you overpay
Seems like those auctions of lobby card sets are getting more and more expensive, though.  I had to let at least 10 items go because they sold for way above what they are worth.  Good for Bruce.

This is the main reason why I make my best bid an hour before closing and then don't go check until the auction has closed.  That way emotion either over the poster, or over the other guy doesn't get me to do crazy things. It has forced me to actually think about what stuff is wor5h to me. If I think it is $100, then I bid that, even if the current bid is $1.

I also thought this auction had items going for way too much.  I lost 6 or 7, and a couple went for double my best bid. No matter as they will show up again, and probably go for less.  There was one card I have lost bidding on twice that I got last night for l3ss than half of my proxy bid. 

Win some, lose some, but I seldom have buyer's regret
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 11:02:15 AM by jayn_j »
-Jay-

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8723 on: September 02, 2016, 11:30:52 AM »
I usually check Bruce's auctions the morning of and do a little pocking around, but I've been moving pretty much for the past month (with a week vacation in between), so posters have been the last thing on my mind.  Which is why I was so unprepared.  I'm usually pretty good at knowing when to stop, but I remembered his auction at 4:50 (they start at 5), got on my phone and started bidding.  But like I said, no regrets, what I got doesn't show up too often and I don't have to think about it anymore.  Next!

;D

T
My Personal Collection

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #8724 on: September 02, 2016, 01:14:49 PM »
This is the main reason why I make my best bid an hour before closing and then don't go check until the auction has closed.  That way emotion either over the poster, or over the other guy doesn't get me to do crazy things. It has forced me to actually think about what stuff is wor5h to me. If I think it is $100, then I bid that, even if the current bid is $1.

I also thought this auction had items going for way too much.  I lost 6 or 7, and a couple went for double my best bid. No matter as they will show up again, and probably go for less.  There was one card I have lost bidding on twice that I got last night for l3ss than half of my proxy bid. 

Win some, lose some, but I seldom have buyer's regret

A couple of times now I've wanted to bid on a few things and completely forgot and checked the auction the next day and the price has been very reasonable.

Other times I've gone for items and they have tripled what I think they are worth in the last few hours.

Always seems to be the way!
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/