Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837835 times)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #675 on: November 07, 2010, 09:25:15 PM »
Tell you a little story relating to giant pieces of Nazi memorabilia that, Harry..............

This happened about 5 or 6 years ago when I lived in Oklahoma City.  One of my friends used to have this huge power boat, maybe 24 feet long or so.  He had taken it to the shop to have some work done on it in the off season.  While there, the leaf springs on one side of the trailer it was sitting on which were rusted out finally gave way.  The fender on that side of the trailer were sitting on the tire, so it wasnt going anywhere.  So my two chucklehead friends call me at about 930pm on a cold, rainy friday night in late november desperate for some help (ie. tools) so they could get the leaf springs replaced and tow the boat home.  This was a pretty seedy neighborhood in Oklahoma City, near the fairgrounds (arent all fairgrounds in big cities in the ghetto?) so they couldnt leave it sitting there out overnight.  So I show up down there with what I thought were the right tools.  Turns out one of the sockets I had was not quite deep enough to do the job.  So I look across the street and there an auto shop, obviously closed at this time.  But, connected to the auto shop was an unmarked shop of some kind with a glass door and a light on inside.  So I thought maybe it was an office to the auto shop.  In a moment of brilliance, I thought I would walk over there and see if htey had a socket that would work.  Well, i went an knocked on the door, and someone yelled come in.  I walk in to this place and the floors are all concrete, which wasn't too surprising.  There were a bunch of 40-50 something white trash dudes wearing dirty meshback caps and a couple of their ladies sitting around on metal folding chairs drinking boxed wine and smoking cheap cigs.  Kinda odd at 930 on a Friday night in a place like that, right?  But what really made me almost shit my britches was the bigger than fucking Canada Nazi war flag on the wall behind them.  I mean the damn thing took up the whole wall and was dragging the floor.  It must have been 20 feet tall and a good 50 feet long, and had autographs and crap all over it.  I looked around a little more and there was all kinds of Nazi memorabilia in the place.  Some Nazi knives sitting on a table next to me, and a map of Germany on another wall along with a bunch of other crap.  So I am thinking I had just interrupted a damn OKC neo-nazi chapter shindig.  I was having visions of meeting the gimp from Pulp Fiction and looking for a quick extraction from the situation.  All of the folks had stupid grins on their faces asking how they could help me.  I took a deep breath and thought, ok, I have blonde hair and blue eyes so I am not going to be hanging from the rafters here as long as they aren't too hammered on the $8 white zinfandel.  Well, one of them must have sensed my panic because they said oh, no, its not what it looks like.  Turns out the place was indeed owned by the same guy that ran the auto-shop, and he was an auctioneer on the side.  Days earlier, an old WWII vet (Army Colonel) had passed away and his wife was auctioning all of his memorabilia/war trophies to pay for the funeral.  They had parts from old WWII planes and tanks, Kosak war swords, photos of battlefield action and R&R time, guns of all types, you name it.  I just didnt notice any of the other stuff because of that gimp image in my head.  The giant Nazi flag was taken from a French town they reclaimed from the Nazis, and the autographs were all of the men in the battalion that led the operation.  In the end, not only did they have the socket, but they helped us fix the trailer, also.  Anyway, I am not sure there was a point to that story, except that your comment about the giant Hitler banner brought back memories.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #676 on: November 07, 2010, 09:26:32 PM »
oh c'mon.. don't you guys know any Neo-Nazis??

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #677 on: November 07, 2010, 10:42:29 PM »
Well, I sure as hell didn't win it (or even bid on it).  But even if I did, I don't think anyone could get away with displaying a 14' wide  (and probably 20' tall) Hitler poster!

Pssssh...details, mere details!

;)
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #678 on: November 13, 2010, 08:32:57 PM »
Some people have got to be the first on the block to have these:

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #679 on: November 13, 2010, 11:04:19 PM »
If people would just learn some patience!
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #680 on: November 14, 2010, 03:45:32 AM »
Well, I sure as hell didn't win it (or even bid on it).  But even if I did, I don't think anyone could get away with displaying a 14' wide  (and probably 20' tall) Hitler poster!

Mel's keeping very quite on this, it must have been him?
It's more than a Hobby...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #681 on: November 14, 2010, 04:35:05 AM »

Mel's keeping very quite on this, it must have been him?

I'm not into Nazi memorabilia, 'cept stuff like this:

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #682 on: November 14, 2010, 01:32:10 PM »
So here are the post-auction results of H's signature sale.  The "estimates" were ridiculously optimistic, but what sold way below FMV and what sold way above FMV?  What surprisingly did not sell?

High:

Maybe the lobby cards jacked this one up:

Low:

Tear in poster probably lowered this:

I should have grabbed this mint six sheet - this should have sold for way more....

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #683 on: November 14, 2010, 01:47:15 PM »
The LC set for FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS sold for double its top estimate and the set of three lobbies from HOUSE OF DRACULA (R1950) sold for 5.5X top estimate

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #684 on: November 19, 2010, 12:08:18 AM »
So who are you "misterbis2008"?  You won no less than 100, YES ONE HUNDRED, of the daybills in Bruce's auction that just closed!

More importantly you took my noirs away...but at least it is evident you overpaid for many of the posters you won...
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #685 on: November 19, 2010, 12:32:09 AM »
missed the daybills, probably a good thing, just hope there was no elusive Hammers.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #686 on: November 19, 2010, 11:35:32 AM »
missed the daybills, probably a good thing, just hope there was no elusive Hammers.

I don't think you missed anything Ari - I would have sent you a message if I saw anything (because you love me remember?) ;)
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #687 on: November 19, 2010, 08:41:54 PM »
How can I forget?
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Matt

« Reply #688 on: November 21, 2010, 03:38:47 AM »
Crikey, too much male bonding going on here. ;)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #689 on: November 21, 2010, 11:15:06 AM »
Crikey, too much male bonding going on here. ;)

Matt you can join in too!  Don't feel left out  cheers
Chris

Matt

« Reply #690 on: November 21, 2010, 04:21:12 PM »
Aw shucks, ya big lug Chris. ;D

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #691 on: December 01, 2010, 12:58:19 PM »
Christies Auction today - the Craziest Winning Bid Award goes to the buyer of Lot 230 - Regular Pulp Fiction one sheet signed by Quentin Tarantino (an easy signature to obtain) - hammer price £3200 ($5000).

Mark 

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #692 on: December 01, 2010, 01:26:06 PM »
I saw that... crazy I tell ya!

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
« Reply #693 on: December 01, 2010, 02:05:32 PM »
I saw that... crazy I tell ya!

i was there i'm sure it looked like a bootleg but i'm no expert

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #694 on: December 01, 2010, 02:06:24 PM »
The poster, the sig or both?

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
« Reply #695 on: December 01, 2010, 02:11:02 PM »
the poster, it didnt have the fat man at the top but maybe i'm confused with something else

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #696 on: December 01, 2010, 02:13:54 PM »
the poster, it didnt have the fat man at the top but maybe i'm confused with something else

I believe that authenticator only applies to the recalled "lucky strikes" version of the poster.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
« Reply #697 on: December 01, 2010, 02:15:03 PM »
I believe that authenticator only applies to the recalled "lucky strikes" version of the poster.

thanks for correcting me

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
« Reply #698 on: December 02, 2010, 07:53:27 AM »
This was one my favourites from yesterday's auction. When my wife and i saw this we were both blown away

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #699 on: December 02, 2010, 08:02:54 AM »
No doubt!  Having recently acquired my first 4-foglio I can appreciate how awesome this one must look in person.  And I could put chair in front of the bottom part without blocking anything  :P

And clearly we aren't the only ones... it sold for 33% over the high estimate!