Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837740 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #8600 on: June 30, 2016, 08:59:19 PM »
so, at Profiles in History on the first day, I was there for some business.
some noteworthy prices were $6000+ 28% bp for an online bidder at Invaluable = $7680 for 8 C-8/9 rolled ROTJ dated posters and one undated folded poster

$2750 +bp (I wasn't paying attention if it was an online or phone bidder) for a Star Wars 77/21-0 1sh
Preston Sturges annotated/corrected script for Sullivans Travels for $16k to a phone bidder

stills lots of 5000 pieces+ as noted in the catalog were actually 44 office boxes per lot (about 30,000 stills per lot, maybe 40,000)
we were all laughing about it
but their reasoning is that there were also many dupes, and they were describing the lot by guaranteed originals
all were bought by the same phone bidder for $35k-42500

some lots went high, some lots went fair.
yes I got some
none of yer business
 :P

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8601 on: July 01, 2016, 12:29:16 AM »
A very cool and historical piece. I would love to know what the full poster looked like, as the top and bottom on this copy were both (slightly) trimmed at some point in its long life. (The bottom has partial writing that was cut off, and the top border pattern that goes around the advertising text and images, is abruptly missing at the top). But maybe what is missing is minimal.

This is one of those posters that (imo) would have been ideal to show the back, too, (as was discussed in another thread some months ago, when posters might have excessive tape or other flaws on the reverse), since its description reads:

"Someone once put a great deal of tape on the back of the poster, mending tears and covering paper loss."

It was the high winner on EMP tonight, closing at $1055.00

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4284762

« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 12:21:25 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8602 on: July 01, 2016, 03:05:43 AM »
it's a cool poster, but this description is incorrect "Note that in the late 1800s, posters advertising stage plays were often "daybills", which resemble U.S. inserts in size"

these posters are called 'broadsides'

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8603 on: July 04, 2016, 12:34:42 AM »
This cool looking set of LC for the first chapter of the serial, The Crimson Ghost (1946), sold for $1434.00 (inc the BP), on HA tonight:  clap clap

http://movieposters.ha.com/itm/serial/the-crimson-ghost-republic-1946-lobby-card-set-of-8-andamp-title-lobby-card-11-x-14-chapter-1-atomic-peril-serial-total-9-items-/a/161627-51092.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

And this OS for the John Ford classic (such a great director), for The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962), sold for $262.90:

« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 12:37:59 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8604 on: July 04, 2016, 01:37:14 AM »
Ha!!!  I was going to bid on some stuff, but then I went house hunting, ended up at the beach and finished at a brewery.  So none to me :(

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #8605 on: July 04, 2016, 01:38:49 AM »
Ha!!!  I was going to bid on some stuff, but then I went house hunting, ended up at the beach and finished at a brewery.  So none to me :(

T

Postman =  happy

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8606 on: July 04, 2016, 02:33:06 AM »

Postman =  happy

Funny you should say that.  I actually have a new postman and I had to apologize last week for the extra trips I force him to make.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #8607 on: July 04, 2016, 04:19:24 AM »
Funny you should say that.  I actually have a new postman and I had to apologize last week for the extra trips I force him to make.

T

I think that last postman quit

« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 04:33:42 AM by 50s »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #8608 on: July 04, 2016, 11:20:09 AM »

T

House hunting, does that mean you have to move your collection..... faint2.gif
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8609 on: July 04, 2016, 12:30:22 PM »

House hunting, does that mean you have to move your collection..... faint2.gif

Yeah, we're moving to the beach in a month or so.  It's been a real pain because we're going to rent our current house and had to fix it up to get maximum rent, so now our current house is perfect, but we won't enjoy it since we're moving to another house that we'll have to fix up.  It's kind of ridiculous.

And the posters... well, that will actually be super easy.  I am such an organizer, or OCD, that everything is perfectly packed up and can just be moved as a block.

T
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 12:34:02 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #8610 on: July 04, 2016, 05:27:47 PM »
Sounds like you'll need some kind of lifting equipment if you can move them in a block...

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #8611 on: July 04, 2016, 05:29:46 PM »
Sounds like you'll need some kind of lifting equipment if you can move them in a block...

Dollies and a lift gate?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8612 on: July 04, 2016, 06:01:00 PM »

8 flat files (40 drawers) and about 120 tubes of 50 posters.  I'll do it myself with a few friends and will post some pictures when I do.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #8613 on: July 04, 2016, 06:40:21 PM »
Looking forward to seeing that... :D

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #8614 on: July 04, 2016, 08:08:58 PM »
8 flat files (40 drawers) and about 120 tubes of 50 posters.  I'll do it myself with a few friends and will post some pictures when I do.

T

T your posters would cover the surface of approx 47 football (soccer) fields based on my calculations.  Tell that to the wife!

Offline basemem

• Hobbyist
    • Poster Collector
« Reply #8615 on: July 06, 2016, 05:30:03 AM »
A Dr No poster sold yesterday for $295. It's an 80s release. Have these really gone up so much?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381685956753

Last few on EMP sold for $86, $116 and $255 - looks like the most by a mile this has sold for on EMP. All very good to fine.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8616 on: July 06, 2016, 11:11:52 AM »
When I first started collecting, about 15 years ago, I had an opportunity to get 10-20 copies of each 1980 re-releases for $5-10 each.  That's 10-20 copies of Dr No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball and You Only Live Twice, if I'm not mistaken.  I remember I was working at Ambin at the time and i met the poster guy at the commissary outside in the courtyard.  I bought a lot of stuff from him, but I passed on the Bonds.  Probably a combination of re-release snootiness and lack of money. 

In one word, stupid.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8617 on: July 06, 2016, 11:14:39 AM »
T your posters would cover the surface of approx 47 football (soccer) fields based on my calculations.  Tell that to the wife!

I told her.  She did not answer.  I think she was checking a shoe catalog ;)

I'll stop when I can align them up from Earth to Moon.

T
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8618 on: July 06, 2016, 01:48:51 PM »
I'll stop when I can align them up from Earth to Moon.

that's only 386,341,463 posters T

are you sure you aren't there yet?

wynk

-------

Offline basemem

• Hobbyist
    • Poster Collector
« Reply #8619 on: July 06, 2016, 02:02:09 PM »
When I first started collecting, about 15 years ago, I had an opportunity to get 10-20 copies of each 1980 re-releases for $5-10 each.  That's 10-20 copies of Dr No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball and You Only Live Twice, if I'm not mistaken.  I remember I was working at Ambin at the time and i met the poster guy at the commissary outside in the courtyard.  I bought a lot of stuff from him, but I passed on the Bonds.  Probably a combination of re-release snootiness and lack of money. 

In one word, stupid.

T
[/quote

Now that would have been a great buy considering the price now. Hindsight is a wonderful thing

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #8620 on: July 06, 2016, 05:45:18 PM »
A Dr No poster sold yesterday for $295. It's an 80s release. Have these really gone up so much?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381685956753

Last few on EMP sold for $86, $116 and $255 - looks like the most by a mile this has sold for on EMP. All very good to fine.

Grief - always thought EMP did well for these 80's Bond posters, but that ebay would not fare so well.

Clearly, I am completely wrong.

I bought a whole set of these, Dr No thru Diamonds, a couple of years ago.  All mint and folded.  But that was still $400 for seven posters.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8621 on: July 11, 2016, 12:33:39 AM »
This US OS for The Forbidden Planet sold tonight on HA's Sunday night auction for $7,767.50

What crossed my mind was that this poster was in HA's weekly Sun nite auction, rather than in a Sig auction. Tho the poster's condition may have played a role in that decision.

Regardless, still a great, high winning bid for this poster.  clap clap

http://movieposters.ha.com/itm/movie-posters/science-fiction/forbidden-planet-mgm-1956-one-sheet-27-x-41-science-fiction/a/161628-52136.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 12:34:08 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8622 on: July 11, 2016, 01:33:18 AM »

T

lightweight work

I have to go to L.A. and move to Vegas 1500 rolled poster box-tubes, 50 office boxes of folded, hundreds of loose-rolled posters and about 300 boarded one sheets
in all likelihood, I'll have to do this work almost all by myself - at both ends (because of course, moving stuff is one time your friends are always absent).

-------

TheDude

« Reply #8623 on: July 14, 2016, 08:52:18 AM »
This cool looking set of LC for the first chapter of the serial, The Crimson Ghost (1946), sold for $1434.00 (inc the BP), on HA tonight:  clap clap

http://movieposters.ha.com/itm/serial/the-crimson-ghost-republic-1946-lobby-card-set-of-8-andamp-title-lobby-card-11-x-14-chapter-1-atomic-peril-serial-total-9-items-/a/161627-51092.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

I assume the price on that is because of the misfits connection? I know Chamber of Chills 19 maintains very high prices even though it is not the best story or cover in the run because of its Misfits connection.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8624 on: July 14, 2016, 05:22:08 PM »
And the posters... well, that will actually be super easy.  I am such an organizer, or OCD, that everything is perfectly packed up and can just be moved as a block.

T

Be careful out there, T.
 wynk