Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837873 times)

Mirosae

Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #8550 on: April 25, 2016, 03:36:22 AM »
Thanks. It had over 20 bids I think  and several bidders. I didnt know these were so popular..

Offline wormie

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8551 on: April 25, 2016, 11:36:07 AM »
This one was sold for much less than I thought it would be. In my watchlist but completely forgot it. Edge wear? Rolling wave? Or maybe a complete reprint? These Starfall B2s showed up recently more often than before?
http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r150173283
Chengbo

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8552 on: April 25, 2016, 12:04:49 PM »
This one was sold for much less than I thought it would be. In my watchlist but completely forgot it. Edge wear? Rolling wave? Or maybe a complete reprint? These Starfall B2s showed up recently more often than before?

Such a great looking poster. Does anyone know or ever "guesstimated" how many of the "Starfall" style were ever printed?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 05:49:15 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline basemem

• Hobbyist
    • Poster Collector
« Reply #8553 on: April 25, 2016, 04:20:31 PM »
It's a nice image. Love the teaser style.

Who knows how many there are. Maybe loads maybe not. Could be lots sitting in collections never to be seen.

I don't think it's a bad price. Although Mirosae, £65 would have been a steal. Think four have been sold on eBay recently one at £100, this one, £150 and £220. The last one was on linen.

Offline wormie

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8554 on: April 26, 2016, 02:27:57 PM »
If this one is only printed for the screening at the theater and no later reprint, I would think there are only a handful. Is there any information about how long the screening was, how many theaters carried these posters, and how soon these posters were sold out?
Since there was another design for the screening, I would assume the other design was also only printed a handful. Correct? Sorry for stealing the pictures from Bruce  :P

Such a great looking poster. Does anyone know or ever "guesstimated" how many of the "Starfall" style were ever printed?
Chengbo

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #8555 on: April 27, 2016, 05:08:27 AM »

My personal opinion on this poster, take it or leave it:

This has been selling for big bucks lately.  I would not surprised if those dollar signs spawned reprints.  The one in this auction appears a bit too glossy to me, but it could just be a trick of the lighting in the photo.  Additionally, it is missing the silver Toho licensing sticker that came on it (bottom left).  That isn't to say that it is not authentic, just that extra consideration is warranted.  2 of the examples Bruce has sold lack the sticker as well.  People got them and immediately pulled it off without regard for future implications.  However, going forward IF you are going to buy one of these from a source you do not know and trust, you would do well to make sure that sticker is present before shelling out a lot of cash.  If you trust the seller, then no big deal.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #8556 on: April 27, 2016, 09:18:57 AM »
My personal opinion on this poster, take it or leave it:

This has been selling for big bucks lately.  I would not surprised if those dollar signs spawned reprints.  The one in this auction appears a bit too glossy to me, but it could just be a trick of the lighting in the photo.  Additionally, it is missing the silver Toho licensing sticker that came on it (bottom left).  That isn't to say that it is not authentic, just that extra consideration is warranted.  2 of the examples Bruce has sold lack the sticker as well.  People got them and immediately pulled it off without regard for future implications.  However, going forward IF you are going to buy one of these from a source you do not know and trust, you would do well to make sure that sticker is present before shelling out a lot of cash.  If you trust the seller, then no big deal.

Both versions of the last ones Bruce sold were from me and it is indeed 100% guaranteed original, correct paper, gloss as viewed in person, etc. I have owned a fare number of these over the years and most do not have the sticker. Actually I can only think of one that had it that I have owned and am not 100% sure it was not placed there after removing it from another poster to make it look authentic even though it was.

As to where the poster is from and how many are out there for each that is a subject for debate. You have of course the common story and then the research I did which is also supported by many of the other major researchers as well which contradicts it. I did a lot of asking around on this poster when I was researching and writing back in the early 90’s and at that time I had always heard the same info. From what I understand the poster was not actually given out or sold at theaters but was instead produced to promote the Yamakatsu Lamy trading card line. The posters including the other version I sent in were actually sent to the dealers of the cards for advertising which having owned a comic book store in the past makes sense to me. That would also explain a little better why they are so hard to find these days. If it was created for theaters as a give out or sale item like the programs, etc. I have a feeling that it would have been printed in large enough amounts that they would be easier to find but that again is just opinion. This info is purely from dealers in Japan that I spoke to back then when the poster was already about 10 years old. I actually did not hear the theater theory on it until several years after that. I cannot since I never spoke with the printer, etc. say which is truly correct, perhaps both are and it was used for advertising and some were sold in theaters.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 11:50:55 AM by Undead »
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline wormie

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8557 on: April 27, 2016, 10:27:08 AM »
I probably will never know whether this particular one is authentic or not since I forgot to put a bid on it. But thank you both so much, Schan and Mike. I really appreciate that I can always learn something  from your expertise.

The bother versions of the last ones Bruce sold were from me and it is indeed 100% guaranteed original, correct paper, gloss as viewed in person, etc. I have owned a fare number of these over the years and most do not have the sticker. Actually I can only think of one that had it that I have owned and am not 100% sure it was not placed there after removing it from another poster to make it look authentic even though it was.

As to where the poster is from and how many are out there for each that is a subject for debate. You have of course the common story and then the research I did which is also supported by many of the other major researchers as well which contradicts it. I did a lot of asking around on this poster when I was researching and writing back in the early 90’s and at that time I had always heard the same info. From what I understand the poster was not actually given out or sold at theaters but was instead produced to promote the Yamakatsu Lamy trading card line. The posters including the other version I sent in were actually sent to the dealers of the cards for advertising which having owned a comic book store in the past makes sense to me. That would also explain a little better why they are so hard to find these days. If it was created for theaters as a give out or sale item like the programs, etc. I have a feeling that it would have been printed in large enough amounts that they would be easier to find but that again is just opinion. This info is purely from dealers in Japan that I spoke to back then when the poster was already about 10 years old. I actually did not hear the theater theory on it until several years after that. I cannot since I never spoke with the printer, etc. say which is truly correct, perhaps both are and it was used for advertising and some were sold in theaters.
Chengbo

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8558 on: April 27, 2016, 12:22:09 PM »
I probably will never know whether this particular one is authentic or not since I forgot to put a bid on it. But thank you both so much, Schan and Mike. I really appreciate that I can always learn something  from your expertise.

+1

Good info to know.  thumbup

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8559 on: May 01, 2016, 05:33:51 PM »
The Forbidden Planet US OS slid past the Casey At the Bat OS, to close at $9000.00 even.

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4221259

Casey came in second, at $8555.00

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4221210

-Jeff

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #8560 on: May 01, 2016, 06:17:43 PM »
The Forbidden Planet US OS slid past the Casey At the Bat OS, to close at $9000.00 even.

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4221259

Casey came in second, at $8555.00

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4221210

Not a bad price for the planet these days.

Even with the fading I expected more of the LoA roadshow 1sh. 1275.00

I honestly like the way the background colors look now.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8561 on: May 01, 2016, 06:24:55 PM »
The 1940s Tom & Jerry posters did nice, too. And those cartoons from the early part of that decade were drawn SO well, too. Always fun to watch.

-Jeff

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #8562 on: May 04, 2016, 11:15:10 PM »
Both versions of the last ones Bruce sold were from me and it is indeed 100% guaranteed original, correct paper, gloss as viewed in person, etc. I have owned a fare number of these over the years and most do not have the sticker. Actually I can only think of one that had it that I have owned and am not 100% sure it was not placed there after removing it from another poster to make it look authentic even though it was.

Interesting.......I have had two, and both had the sticker.  Both had a faint impression of the sticker visible on the reverse, and looked like they had been there from day one (like a price tag that has been on something for 30 years).  Another I passed on (did not like the asking price) also had the sticker.  I guess, though, that it is not inconceivable that someone has printed up some fake stickers or has removed a few from less desirable copies.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8563 on: May 06, 2016, 03:22:22 PM »
Great looking AU daybill for It's A Wonderful Life (such a great, feel good movie), sold last night on EMP for $2500.00   clap clap

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4225066

And Jaws always maintains, too, with this folded OS going for $1074.00

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4225117

« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 03:25:51 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #8564 on: May 06, 2016, 07:17:17 PM »
And a Dr No Insert went for $4k.  Previous sales were at the $700 mark.

I was interested in this as a piece of wall art but this went way beyond expectation.

Mirosae

« Reply #8565 on: May 07, 2016, 07:48:09 AM »
Modern Times sold for over $3000

Congratulations  Bruce for putting together such a phenomenal auction. I had never seen this gorgeous  WC. Glad it did well in the end.

This film is absolutely  timeless!!!  
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 07:49:21 AM by Mirosae »

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #8566 on: May 07, 2016, 01:25:14 PM »
Modern Times sold for over $3000

Congratulations  Bruce for putting together such a phenomenal auction. I had never seen this gorgeous  WC. Glad it did well in the end.

This film is absolutely  timeless!!!  

It ended even higher at $3,550. And the underbidder emailed me after the auction ended and asked if I could find him another one, and I had to tell him it was very unlikely (but not impossible) that I would have another one anytime soon.
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Mirosae

« Reply #8567 on: May 08, 2016, 07:50:58 AM »
^ Thank you Bruce. I can imagine the disappointment. Hope s/he finds a new one soon.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8568 on: May 18, 2016, 01:08:21 PM »
This quad did very nice last night, for the movie, Charade (1963), closing at $575.00

It was top dog.

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4239555

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #8569 on: May 22, 2016, 06:02:27 PM »
My sincere congratulations to Biondo whoever s/he is for getting this wonderful Rudolph Valentino Deluxe Still tonight at EMP It was sold for  $287!!!!

Rudolph Valentino

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #8570 on: May 23, 2016, 10:43:41 PM »
Stills are going for such crazy amounts over there it's probably time to start selling mine.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8571 on: May 23, 2016, 10:48:24 PM »
Stills are going for such crazy amounts over there it's probably time to start selling mine.

How many vintage still would you say you have in your collection, Louie?

-Jeff

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #8572 on: May 23, 2016, 11:10:32 PM »
several

Mirosae

« Reply #8573 on: May 24, 2016, 02:51:48 AM »
I was going to ask you about this particular one. I didnt think this was rare. I love this portrait but at  this price? I got mine from EMP really cheap a year ago and suddenly now all are getting crazy amounts...

#GoRudy

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #8574 on: May 24, 2016, 10:11:02 PM »
Must mean the recession is over. However, for us poster people, did it really matter? :P
Witty signature goes here.