Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837952 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #8500 on: March 29, 2016, 08:44:11 PM »
This, to me, is one incredible stone litho OS.  It's from 1931, for the movie, The Drums of Jeopardy. The use of color is really something. This copy just sold on HA, this past weekend, for $2868.00 inc the BP:

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/horror/the-drums-of-jeopardy-tiffany-1931-one-sheet-275-x-41-/a/7125-86294.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

This copy has been listed for years, on the bay at $6,000.00. I wonder if the price will ever be adjusted?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DRUMS-OF-JEOPARDY-WARNER-OLAND-MAD-SCIENTIST-HORROR-1931-1-SHEET-/150741460692?hash=item2318e426d4:m:mkR3AwqnGF0Kjm21CaZKWDw

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8501 on: March 29, 2016, 08:45:02 PM »
I know the answer

EIGTHY THOUSAND BUCKS

welcome1

See my initial post and question.  ;D

-Jeff

Offline hepcatpunk

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8502 on: March 29, 2016, 09:58:50 PM »
One of those nights where I just couldn't win a thing, but not for lack of trying.

Congrats Matt on the Infernal Affairs---wanted that one.  One of my favorite movies.
-Brian

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #8503 on: March 29, 2016, 10:14:08 PM »
See my initial post and question.  ;D

knowing artists the way I do, the likelihood is that until he was approached to maybe get some real money for it, it was sitting in a closet or on a shelf or stacked against the wall with dozens of other paintings (when you have numerous canvases, laying against each other resting against a wall, we call that a stack of paintings)

artists don't have to need cash to sell art - selling art is what they do for a living

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8504 on: March 29, 2016, 10:21:34 PM »
Yes...and some film poster artists also like to hold onto their originals, too. So its like a mixed bag, in a way. Some sell, others dont. Thanks Rich. All makes sense.

And as you suggested.. he might have gotten potential numbers whispered in his ear that he couldnt potentially refuse.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8505 on: March 29, 2016, 10:42:48 PM »
Cool design here. Very in your face -- no pun intended.

East German Clash of the Titans, that went for $52.00 tonight.

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4185500

-Jeff

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8506 on: March 29, 2016, 11:15:24 PM »
I'd imagine this was a grail piece for Rob.

Interesting.  Definitely some spirited bidding there. 

Does Mr. Zombie have some other original pieces like that?  I recall a rockstar or elite collector thread about him, Mr. Hammett, etc.

On a side note, I remember when the first White Zombie CD was released in the early 90s.  I actually still have the copy I picked up then.  Good times.  Seems like he's still doing well, as he has a new film scheduled to be released soon.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8507 on: March 29, 2016, 11:25:21 PM »
Thanks, Brandon. I didnt know the winning bidder was Herr Zombie.

Very cool.

thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8508 on: March 29, 2016, 11:33:48 PM »
I dont understand this hammer price. Sold for $4,000. I love John Ford but this is a " bit"  too much.  :-\

John Wayne Image during the filming of The Searchers Monument Valley, Arizona-Utah. [1955] ESTATE STAMPED - ARCHIVAL PIGMENT PRINT Photographer: John R. Hamilton Size: 22x30 inches - (Edition 3 of 35) - Framed

I happened to see this earlier.  Great shot.

If you look at some "fine art" type auctions that have similar works, this result does not seem so high.

I've been getting into photography a little bit, and have checked out some current auctions, and past results.  There are some remarkable sales for stuff like this (limited edition, famous photographer and/or subject, etc.)  
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:41:04 PM by Neo »

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8509 on: March 29, 2016, 11:38:37 PM »
Thanks, Brandon. I didnt know the winning bidder was Herr Zombie.

Very cool.

thumbsup.gif

Sorry, I don't know if he was the winner.  My mistake if something I said insinuated that. 

It would be cool if Mr. Z sees this thread and chimes in here.  :P

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8510 on: March 29, 2016, 11:49:41 PM »
Sorry, I don't know if he was the winner.  My mistake if something I said insinuated that.  

It would be cool if Mr. Z sees this thread and chimes in here.  :P

I'm totally confused now, as to who won (or may have won) the orig Halloween art piece...LOL

(but that aint nothing new)  imbecile.gif

I guess the question is: "Who is buyer Rob?" (as mentioned in zac's post above)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:55:32 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8511 on: March 30, 2016, 12:01:00 AM »

I guess the question is: "Who is buyer Rob?" (as mentioned in zac's post above)

I thought he was referring to Rob Zombie, as possibly being one of the bidders.  All things considered, it seems logical.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 12:05:20 AM by Neo »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8512 on: March 30, 2016, 12:07:06 AM »
Makes total sense, but since winning bidders' IDs arent known or revealed on HA, is why I asked him if he knew the winner, personally.  ;)

And, as a side note -- cool that you are getting into photography a bit and delving into past sales and auctions. You will be speaking and replying from learned experience, as photos can often sell for very high sums.

Good for you, Brandon.  cool1
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 12:15:31 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8513 on: March 30, 2016, 02:00:19 AM »
winning bidders' IDs arent known or revealed on HA,

on what site do you actually KNOW who the bidders are - aside from friends or bidder's whose identities have been outed?

as far as I know, no site makes bidders use their real names and I'm not aware of any index of bidder id's to real names, unless there is some such index I'm not aware of.

so who is ca328123?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 02:00:59 AM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8514 on: March 30, 2016, 02:08:01 AM »
on what site do you actually KNOW who the bidders are - aside from friends or bidder's whose identities have been outed?

as far as I know, no site makes bidders use their real names and I'm not aware of any index of bidder id's to real names, unless there is some such index I'm not aware of.

so who is ca328123?

None reveal actual names.. I was more meaning that some auction sites show and make public the created user IDs while the auction is taking place-- not someone's actual name, unless they choose to use that as their ID.

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8515 on: March 30, 2016, 05:00:53 AM »
None reveal actual names.. I was more meaning that some auction sites show and make public the created user IDs while the auction is taking place-- not someone's actual name, unless they choose to use that as their ID.

well then, even when you see the bidder's user i.d., you don't know any more about the bidders than you do when you can't see them, right?

(other than when examining for shill bidding on ebay)

-------

Mirosae

« Reply #8516 on: March 30, 2016, 06:49:19 AM »
I happened to see this earlier.  Great shot.

If you look at some "fine art" type auctions that have similar works, this result does not seem so high.

I've been getting into photography a little bit, and have checked out some current auctions, and past results.  There are some remarkable sales for stuff like this (limited edition, famous photographer and/or subject, etc.)  

Thanks Brandon. I  have seen some  exquisite photography and I  do regard it as art. No doubt this one Searchers captures the spirit  of the film to perfection. Ethan alone...

I would love to see yours one day. Hope you will be sharing your photos soon. Thank you! :)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8517 on: March 30, 2016, 12:06:31 PM »
well then, even when you see the bidder's user i.d., you don't know any more about the bidders than you do when you can't see them, right?

Right... my whole point in asking was when zac mentioned the first name of the winner (Rob) of the Halloween art piece. I wondered how he knew that, and that's what made me ask and mention it.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8518 on: March 30, 2016, 01:38:16 PM »
Pleasantly surprised to see this do so well.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8519 on: March 30, 2016, 02:08:11 PM »

Right... my whole point in asking was when zac mentioned the first name of the winner (Rob) of the Halloween art piece. I wondered how he knew that, and that's what made me ask and mention it.  ;)

yes.. and my point being that when some people want to say "you can see who my bidders are" it's another falsehood

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #8520 on: March 30, 2016, 08:34:40 PM »

Yes.  And also bummed as I wanted to own it for less.   ;D

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8521 on: March 30, 2016, 11:50:46 PM »

http://s23.postimg.org/7ljqdoh7v/miu.png

I really like the design and color, too. And it sure went for a pretty penny.   thumbup

Its interesting, too, that as a first release poster, it has zero actor or production credits. Just the title.
(Is what looks like an SF symbol, on the lower left, a distributor or studio logo?)

Also by the same artist, this is a striking poster for Paid (1930), that did well, too. I really like the art deco font:

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4185563

« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 12:03:31 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8522 on: March 31, 2016, 01:03:52 AM »
Never seen that one. You're right. The color scheme is really nice. Cool poster.

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #8523 on: March 31, 2016, 04:13:56 PM »
I really like the design and color, too. And it sure went for a pretty penny.   thumbup

Its interesting, too, that as a first release poster, it has zero actor or production credits. Just the title.
(Is what looks like an SF symbol, on the lower left, a distributor or studio logo?)

Also by the same artist, this is a striking poster for Paid (1930), that did well, too. I really like the art deco font:

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4185563

Jeff, I think that SF stands for Svenks Filmindustri. They have had different logos using the SF symbol throughout its history.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 04:15:29 PM by erik1925 »
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8524 on: March 31, 2016, 04:34:29 PM »
Thanks, Marc. I much appreciate the info.

-Jeff