Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838171 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #8325 on: February 19, 2016, 12:57:24 AM »
The high price is because it is a Phone Booth Poster. All those people with phone booths have been waiting for this format for aaages

I KNEW you would know, Steve.

Muchas gracias.....   notworthy.gif

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8326 on: February 19, 2016, 12:57:32 AM »
The high price doesn't mean anything.  It's just two idiots fighting over a poster, pretty much like I did a few days ago.  It can happen anytime and it really doesn't reflect the value of the poster.  If you look at the list of bidders, only 3 people wanted it over $150 and two above $350.  That's what the poster is worth, somewhere between $150 and $300, which makes much more sense.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8327 on: February 19, 2016, 01:15:22 AM »
Very true... but it's always great to ask, to get various opinions of Why it went to the number it did (aside from the 2 that did battle in the bidding ring).

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #8328 on: February 19, 2016, 01:21:36 AM »
we should call Thierry "Mr Price Guide"

here is an amazing result, Heritage gets $454k for the first appearance of Spider-Man

http://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-nm-94-off-white-pages/a/7124-91113.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #8329 on: February 19, 2016, 01:31:58 AM »

here is an amazing result

It's also an Amazing Fantasy

I wonder if he is called the amazing spider man because he came from the Amazing Fantasy magazine

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8330 on: February 19, 2016, 02:08:50 AM »
we should call Thierry "Mr Price Guide"

I'm the poster price police, remember?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #8331 on: February 19, 2016, 02:51:32 AM »
Good grief.  I popped over to this thread specifically for the Bond poster.

I bailed out early on thinking over $100 was too rich for me.  I had No idea it would have risen to this dizzy height.

Rare?  I have never seen one for sale before.  Never seen one, period.  (I am in the UK)

It is lovely though.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #8332 on: February 19, 2016, 03:10:12 AM »

It's also an Amazing Fantasy

I wonder if he is called the amazing spider man because he came from the Amazing Fantasy magazine

this is one of the scams of the publishing industry
you have a title called Amazing Adult Fantasy and you have to pay the post office $25 to register the title for bulk mailing.
Well, you decide after a few issues that the title is a little long, or maybe 'adult' doesn't make any sense for your market and you want to change the title.
You don't want to pay another $25 to register another title with the post office, so you make a subtle change and you retitle it "Amazing Fantasy" and for several issues previously, you reduce the font for 'adult', so if they look at the previous issue, it sort of looks like it was Amazing Fantasy all the time. You have continued the numbering system, and so it seems to be a continuous series.

then, you want to add a new character, and you call him the Amazing Spider-Man because he is in this 'Amazing' title already.. then, when he is a hit, since you already stopped printing Amazing Fantasy, you publish Amazing Spider-Man, claim it is continuous and save $25. sometimes it didn't work

EC comics..
Gunfighter became Haunt of Fear
Crime Patrol became Crypt of Terror became Tales From the Crypt
Happy Houlihans becomes Saddle Justice becomes Saddle Romances and turns into Weird Science
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Entertaining_Comics_publications

« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 03:10:42 AM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8333 on: February 23, 2016, 10:43:11 PM »
This beautiful OS for Cleopatra (1934) was up and listed and pulled from auction on the very same day. The opening bid was $9.90

Seller later said he had to travel out of the country on business and had to end the auction. All a bit curious.

But regardless, the poster looks to be in great condition and it really packs a punch.  bed1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1934-1A-Cleopatra-Movie-Poster-Cecil-B-DeMille-Claudette-Colbert-Rare-/111908270300?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=ocSg3mLfUOenmUIMn15064xYyko%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

-Jeff

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #8334 on: February 24, 2016, 06:35:55 AM »
This beautiful OS for Cleopatra (1934) was up and listed and pulled from auction on the very same day. The opening bid was $9.90

Seller later said he had to travel out of the country on business and had to end the auction. All a bit curious.

But regardless, the poster looks to be in great condition and it really packs a punch.  bed1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1934-1A-Cleopatra-Movie-Poster-Cecil-B-DeMille-Claudette-Colbert-Rare-/111908270300?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=ocSg3mLfUOenmUIMn15064xYyko%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

This is a scam... They sent an email out about it on mopo...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 06:40:27 AM by Charlie »

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #8335 on: February 24, 2016, 10:39:07 AM »
How did Scott on Mopo determine it was a scam? The sellers response?  I just woke up and seem to be missing something. I see the zero feedback for the seller but thats about it. Was the image stolen? Looks fishy but I dont see any hard proof. More coffee for me I guess

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #8336 on: February 24, 2016, 11:02:56 AM »
How did Scott on Mopo determine it was a scam? The sellers response?  I just woke up and seem to be missing something. I see the zero feedback for the seller but thats about it. Was the image stolen? Looks fishy but I dont see any hard proof. More coffee for me I guess

Someone on vmpf posted a write up about a new scam (which now I can't find) where they you can inspect the item before purchase but your send monies to a third party and of course you don't get the money back or the poster.

The e-mail from MOPO read:

I saw that...under the subject heading 'another ebay scam'

Here's the content:

Here's his email reply to me:

Hi,

My Cleopatra Movie Poster is not on eBay anymore, but it's still available for sale.
My usual schedule has been changed and I had to go to Spain to take care of some business and that's why I've ended my auction.
The final price for the poster is US $ 1,300.00 including all the shipping costs and insurance.
The poster measures 41" tall X 27" across.
Also I want to let you know that you will have the opportunity to receive and inspect the poster before you actually pay for it. If you are interested and want to know more details regarding the purchase just contact me.
Thanks,
Julian
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 11:03:15 AM by Charlie »

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #8339 on: February 24, 2016, 11:11:51 AM »
Here it is.  Not sure why it was deleted from my forum:

http://www.bidamount.com/2014/11/new-ebay-scam-using-skrill-escrow-payments/

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #8340 on: February 24, 2016, 11:16:58 AM »
Ah perfect thanks Charlie. Now I see whats hoing on. "Opportunity" via 3rd party lol. Thanks for the links

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8341 on: February 24, 2016, 12:28:01 PM »
I also saw the MOPO post and noticed the zero feedback from the seller. To inspect something before paying, according to the response the MOPO'er got sounded WAY fishy to me, too.

But its a beautiful copy of the poster. I wonder what the real story is about it then (who has it, is this an older recycled image etc)

hmmm.gif

And that Skrill scam -- wow -- the thieves are always looking for a new angle...  eyeroll
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 01:55:48 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #8342 on: February 24, 2016, 03:44:09 PM »
I wonder if there's a scammers convention in Spain since the Skrill dood and the poster dood are both there "on business"?

It'd be hilarious if it were so evil.  I'm generally opposed to the death penalty but I could sign on to bringing back drawing and quartering for these d-bags and their ilk.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 03:45:32 PM by oldposterho »
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Mirosae

« Reply #8343 on: February 24, 2016, 03:59:56 PM »
Well spotted Charlie. Worth always pausing and think if these deals could be the real thing. I seem to recall a   Casablanca TC for $250 or something similar.

Mirosae

« Reply #8344 on: February 24, 2016, 04:03:34 PM »
I wonder if there's a scammers convention in Spain since the Skrill dood and the poster dood are both there "on business"?

It'd be hilarious if it were so evil.  I'm generally opposed to the death penalty but I could sign on to bringing back drawing and quartering for these d-bags and their ilk.

Send me $400 and will respond to this question when I am back from Spain.

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #8345 on: February 24, 2016, 04:57:17 PM »
 ;D
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #8346 on: February 24, 2016, 05:05:40 PM »
How did Scott on Mopo determine it was a scam? The sellers response?  I just woke up and seem to be missing something. I see the zero feedback for the seller but thats about it. Was the image stolen? Looks fishy but I dont see any hard proof. More coffee for me I guess

Yeah, it was the exact same pic of the Cleopatra OS that sold a few months ago. 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8347 on: February 24, 2016, 05:22:29 PM »
Right.  Doh.gif

That seller had both styles of the Cleopatra OS up for auction.

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #8348 on: February 25, 2016, 08:37:35 PM »
Never heard of Skrill, but the write up seems very thorough.

And it is always interesting to see scammers hard at work.

Anyone ever read the 419eater.com site where a British chap takes these (mostly Nigerian) guys on and actually succeeds in reversing the scam on the scammers with, very often, utterly hilarious results.  Some of the reads are quite in depth and one has to stay with the to and fro of the exchange to the end, but the chap's skills at writing, technology and artistry, not to mention humour, make for brilliant reading.

I have been in painful tears while reading these stories in the office.

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #8349 on: February 25, 2016, 09:34:53 PM »