Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838188 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #8300 on: February 14, 2016, 01:28:59 PM »
That is one, cool looking concept piece, imo.

Thanks for posting the link and image, there, Brandon.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 02:17:10 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #8301 on: February 14, 2016, 01:50:48 PM »
Anyone know why it went so cheap? I believe only 1 bid.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #8302 on: February 14, 2016, 01:54:04 PM »
It's all relative, but considering the title, art, uniqueness (assuming not many exist), size and provenance, I thought the buyer wpuld have been happy with the hammer price. I wonder what it might have gone for at an auction house with more US visibility?

I'm biased though as I think it's a really cool piece!

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #8303 on: February 14, 2016, 01:56:29 PM »

I was watching live and I think it got more than 1 bid? Started at 200 or something similar. Could have just been the system catching up with the top bid though I suppose.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8304 on: February 14, 2016, 03:02:13 PM »

Because it's crap. Sorry, did I say that out loud?  Hopefully no one on here bought it.  There is a reason it was rejected in the first place.  It's just not very good.  You have to understand, 100s of those are sometimes produced for a single movie.  I remember when I was at DreamWorks sitting through an endless presentation of mockups.  Three or four agencies presenting their work.  Pass, pass, pass... It all takes 1 second.  Eventually, some of them end up in the secondary market.  Some of them are not real, just some fanboy passing them on.  Personally, I just think that collecting rejected artwork is a waste of money and time.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #8305 on: February 14, 2016, 05:19:40 PM »
Interesting insider insight.

I guess I agree on one point that it isn't the greatest in terms of design. Having said that I think it's far more interesting than the Mondo and their type of prints that are produced. To me they have little or no connection to the films they represent where as this is (hopefully) directly connected.

As a huge Spielberg collector I thought this would have been a welcome addition to your all encompassing collection, but I guess different strokes for different folks. Going back to the design, if I only selected posters on the quality of design for my collection I don't think I'd have a collection.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8306 on: February 14, 2016, 05:49:19 PM »
To me, it's as relevant as if you drew me a picture of Marty and asked me to add it to my Spielberg collection.  It would mean nothing, and this doesn't either.  Someone did a bad collage and the brass at universal rejected it.  On a big movie like BttF, there are probably a lot more of these out there.  Studios usually keep them and destroy them when they're done with the campaign.  Nowaday, they're not even printed anyone, just digital images.  It would have a much different meaning if it had been selected for an obscure campaign at the far end of Kurdistan.  Then I would have bought it.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8307 on: February 14, 2016, 05:59:02 PM »
What I like about it, is that it is all drawn art. None of the imagery is an actual photograph.

Maybe not the best overall, but better than photos that were merely cut out and pasted together. Too bad the artist isnt identified, as I rather like the renditions of all 3 actors.

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8308 on: February 14, 2016, 06:03:19 PM »
Agreed, Jeff, always better.  This is obviously all very personal, I'm sure some people love to collect this stuff because it is one of a kind.  Just not for me.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8309 on: February 14, 2016, 06:09:45 PM »
Oh yeah, T.

It's always a personal preference/choice as well as how much one wants to collect on a specific film they like, including pieces like this.

-Jeff

Offline Huey Dewey

• Beginner
« Reply #8310 on: February 16, 2016, 11:41:29 AM »
I like it.

For me the original concept art is all a part of a movie's history and in this case very collectible.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8311 on: February 16, 2016, 02:48:04 PM »
Only this is not the original concept art.  The original concept art was by brilliant Drew Struzan, not untalented Joe Schmoe.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #8312 on: February 16, 2016, 03:14:59 PM »
I like it.

For me the original concept art is all a part of a movie's history and in this case very collectible.

Only this is not the original concept art.  The original concept art was by brilliant Drew Struzan, not untalented Joe Schmoe.

T

it is concept art T (or paste-up art.). It just isn't the final concept used

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #8313 on: February 16, 2016, 09:05:32 PM »
Thanks, T!
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8314 on: February 16, 2016, 09:09:46 PM »
This one hurts, Bruce.  I usually don't give a shit whether I win or not, it's just posters, right, but I really wanted it.  I also had to factor in linenbacking, because it's in terrible condition, and it just became too much for what it is.  There are other rare Bardot posters that I want that I can get for much less, and other rarer that I got for less, so why spend so much on this one.  But it does hurt, I won't lie.  Maybe I should have gone higher.  Damn.

T
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 09:21:32 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #8315 on: February 16, 2016, 09:56:18 PM »
Sorry. I thought you went past what you wanted too, and were relieved you didn't get it.

Who knows how high he would have gone?

Maybe I will find another one in better condition.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8316 on: February 16, 2016, 10:17:21 PM »
Yeah, I don't ever want anything, poster wise.  One more, one less, it doesn't make a difference to me.  But in this case I did, and I'm now upset I dropped the ball.  It seems Bardot's stock is going up, which is good since I own 350 pieces on the girl.

T
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 10:17:46 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8317 on: February 16, 2016, 11:14:01 PM »
I think someone did well on this rare, 1937 6 sheet for Second Honeymoon tonight. It closed at $182.00 

It looks like only the top border was slightly trimmed (the left, right and bottom borders are all sharp and untouched) so it must not have measured the standard 81x81 inches, when complete. (the descrip. says it now measures 78.25 x 78.75 inches)

The artwork is all there and it's a beautiful stone litho.  thumbsup.gif

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4141942

-Jeff

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #8318 on: February 17, 2016, 12:14:20 AM »
^ I love the boobs in the title

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8319 on: February 17, 2016, 12:17:30 AM »
^ I love the boobs in the title

;D ;D ;D

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8320 on: February 18, 2016, 09:31:19 PM »
Are these rare? Or is it just part of the hungry Bond fan base that pushed this 2015 item to $789.00 on EMP tonight?

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4145068

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8321 on: February 18, 2016, 09:36:16 PM »
It's because Seydoux is so freakin' hot!

T

My Personal Collection

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #8322 on: February 18, 2016, 10:41:02 PM »
Are these rare? Or is it just part of the hungry Bond fan base that pushed this 2015 item to $789.00 on EMP tonight?

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4145068

You need to wait until an extended auction is REALLY over before you post in Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....

That way you get the actual final selling price!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8323 on: February 18, 2016, 10:46:02 PM »
I didnt see the extended bid was still ticking. And we all make boo boos now and then.

So with the even higher closing number, it begs the question: What is the draw on a piece like this, having it ultimately break a grand?

dontknow.gif

-Jeff

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #8324 on: February 19, 2016, 12:47:13 AM »
The high price is because it is a Phone Booth Poster. All those people with phone booths have been waiting for this format for aaages