Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837092 times)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #8200 on: January 03, 2016, 05:16:56 PM »
Goodness me!

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4093329

A couple of bidders sure went for it tonight.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8201 on: January 04, 2016, 11:21:11 PM »

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #8202 on: January 05, 2016, 10:26:42 AM »
why would there be a shortage for the vast majority of titles?
They print based on perceived need AND quantity needed to get a printing price point.
maybe it costs $5000 to print 20,000 posters, but it might only cost $6000 to print 30,000 posters or $7000 to print 50,000 posters
after your initial order, which includes the cost of 'set-up', increasing print quantities is negligible. Promotions departments will print a determined excess to needs as the worst thing that could happen is to run out.

I was responding to your earlier quote that poster production was strictly for theater display and public distribution was a non-consideration.  I agree totally with your thoughts on production costs.  But, if the extras get printed and there is a known demand, those posters are going to get out into the secondary resale market.  If the producers don't make that money, it will be made by some flunky who was told to trash the surplus.

On a somewhat related note.  I took my kids to the rare theater outing for the latest Star Wars.  It was at a mall UA theater for the IMAX screen.  There were some standees, but not a single 1 sheet poster on display.  They had a few dozen 1 sheet lightboxes, but they were filled with commercial advertising or public service announcements.
-Jay-

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #8203 on: January 05, 2016, 11:27:38 AM »
Wha? "But, if the extras get printed and there is a known demand, those posters are going to get out into the secondary resale market".  

You mean from theaters right, not the studio directly?

If the studios do not directly sell via a website or something similar they DO NOT sell. There is zero and I mean zero posters actively sold from the major studios to a collectibles market now. What is sold is back door or employee/owner taken and sold.  There are contracts having to do with poster specifics when it comes to marketing and names on said posters would want a cut of that activity if above board sales were happening.

I also complete disagree with the idea of majority of items coming from non-theatrical venues. Many or your ebay sellers and websites have "buy it all" deals with indy owners and even chains. Pick a new release, see how many people are selling it. There are over 5400 theaters in the US, so in relation to the number being sold, not a lot. Also screen count normally calculates out your poster allocation, so we are sitting at about 40,000 screens. That means most locations are going to get more than they need.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 01:53:04 PM by ddilts399 »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8204 on: January 05, 2016, 10:41:15 PM »
Tough crowd tonite at Emovie.  I won 9 of the 22 posters I had marked, fought a little and raised the price of many.  Some went for peanuts, like the original French Good Bad and Ugly.  A very rare poster which sold for $100 more than the very common 70s re-release.  Some also went for way more what they're worth, and I actually fell in that trap.

We never learn.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest4531

« Reply #8205 on: January 06, 2016, 01:18:21 AM »
Tough crowd tonite at Emovie.  I won 9 of the 22 posters I had marked, fought a little and raised the price of many.  Some went for peanuts, like the original French Good Bad and Ugly.  A very rare poster which sold for $100 more than the very common 70s re-release.  Some also went for way more what they're worth, and I actually fell in that trap.

We never learn.

T

Are you sure the original 1966 French 1p sold at 100  USD.  From I have seen, it sold at 387 USD ??

More and more poster on Emovie are selling for more what they're worth, you can usually find these in small collector shop for less (I verified for a few French 1p).  Sure, you save on shipping with the Pay & Hold but if you are in France or close to a small shop, I am sure you are better off there :p

This said, the French and Italian posters in yesterday's auctions are just beautiful.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8206 on: January 06, 2016, 02:02:25 AM »
Are you sure the original 1966 French 1p sold at 100  USD.  From I have seen, it sold at 387 USD ??

You misread my quote.  I said that it sold for $100 more than the very common 70s re-release, not that it sold for $100.

And yes, you need to do your research and never buy from one source only. 

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #8207 on: January 06, 2016, 04:41:14 AM »
On a somewhat related note.  I took my kids to the rare theater outing for the latest Star Wars.  It was at a mall UA theater for the IMAX screen.  There were some standees, but not a single 1 sheet poster on display.  They had a few dozen 1 sheet lightboxes, but they were filled with commercial advertising or public service announcements.

Yup - this is something I have noted too.  Indeed for the UK, related to both 1 Sheets and the Quads.

Banners are very much in evidence.

Where I do see 1 Sheets is for the future releases.  But not for what is currently on release.

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #8208 on: January 06, 2016, 10:19:24 AM »
I won 9 of the 22 posters I had marked

If it makes you feel better I only went three for twenty counting that particular one you took. Sad thing is two of them were for the wife, guess she was the lucky winner for last night.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

guest4531

« Reply #8209 on: January 07, 2016, 01:47:22 AM »
You misread my quote.  I said that it sold for $100 more than the very common 70s re-release, not that it sold for $100.

And yes, you need to do your research and never buy from one source only. 

T

Indeed, sorry  imbecile.gif

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #8210 on: January 08, 2016, 03:01:53 AM »
Yup - this is something I have noted too.  Indeed for the UK, related to both 1 Sheets and the Quads.

Banners are very much in evidence.

Where I do see 1 Sheets is for the future releases.  But not for what is currently on release.

Exactly.  You are already there watching the film, so there is no need to continue advertising it to you.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #8211 on: January 08, 2016, 06:34:34 AM »
Sort of.

So this means that the Only posters the cinema displays are teaser posters, and Not main release posters.

But it also means that once you are there, you are not being advertised to for the other exciting releases that are currently on show...which could drag one back in the following week for something.

Which leads one back to the question of where the posters are used.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #8212 on: January 08, 2016, 06:39:57 AM »
I see One sheets in Aussie cinemas, its strange, they look SMALL when on cinema walls.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8213 on: January 08, 2016, 08:19:55 AM »
The Regal multiplex here uses 'upcoming release' posters in the lobby and 'currently playing' one-sheets outside the individual theaters showing the films.
 cheers

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #8214 on: January 09, 2016, 01:22:23 PM »
Sort of.

So this means that the Only posters the cinema displays are teaser posters, and Not main release posters.

But it also means that once you are there, you are not being advertised to for the other exciting releases that are currently on show...which could drag one back in the following week for something.

Which leads one back to the question of where the posters are used.

'Main release' poster are regularly at theaters months before release.  Cross-selling isn't as big deal because those flicks will be gone by the time the average movie goer comes back.  There is a reason that they only show trailers for coming attractions any more...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8215 on: January 15, 2016, 12:06:11 AM »
This folded HS for This Island Earth (1955), with Reynold Brown art, did well and was in the top slot on EMP tonight, going for $735.00

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4104957

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #8216 on: January 17, 2016, 11:21:02 PM »
This just sold on ebay for $2,569.  The guy had several rare US WW1 posters that also did really well.  This the rarest of the lot, representing one of the first US Tank Corps recruitment posters (it was a new unit around that time).  Amazing to see this sort of art for a 1917 piece, almost looks comic book like. 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8217 on: January 17, 2016, 11:42:27 PM »
Vick.. i LOVE that poster image.

I can see why it went for that price.

It's beautious AND in great condition, too!!

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8218 on: January 18, 2016, 12:24:37 AM »
That is really neat, Vick.  cool1

It looks like a much different style, than many of the more common types of recruitment material, from that era.

Is there any significance with the cat, in reference to the tanks or something else?

Mirosae

« Reply #8219 on: January 18, 2016, 03:41:48 AM »
Stunning poster Vick, I can see why it went for that price!

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #8220 on: January 18, 2016, 10:04:43 AM »

WOW is there a drool icon here? I need to use it for this one.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #8221 on: January 18, 2016, 03:43:44 PM »
That is really neat, Vick.  cool1
It looks like a much different style, than many of the more common types of recruitment material, from that era.
Is there any significance with the cat, in reference to the tanks or something else?

Thanks for the interest folks!  Thanks also for the question about the black cat as I turn to the amazing folks at usmilitariaforum.com to learn something and share it here :

When the Tank Corps was established as its own entity in March 1918, it adopted the motto "Treat 'em Rough"  (from a popular slogan of the time, "Catch 'em young, treat 'em rough, tell 'em nothing."  When the Tank Corps set up recruiting at the New York City Public Library on Fifth Avenue and Forty-Second Street, they had a mechanical bobcat on the top of a mock-up tank as attraction.

The recruiters decided they wanted a black cat for the mascot and for an attraction to be held at Century Theater in NYC.  They offered a $2 reward for a live black cat.  Only one kid showed up with a cat

While the Tank Corps recruiters were at the NYC Public Library in September 1918, An artist, Gustav W Hufal, made crayon sketches of the type of cat the boys wanted. He drew a picture of a soldier holding the only cat entered.

According to the New York Times article, "While the sketches were being made, the mechanical cat on top of the small tank was kept arching its back and waving its tail while the make-believe gun on the tank kept rattling away to the great satisfaction of the crowd."

The soldier whom he drew was none other than Sgt Guy Empey, the Canadian who wrote "Over the Top."  After Empey left the Canadian Army, he joined the fledgling U.S. Tank Corps.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8222 on: January 18, 2016, 04:08:52 PM »
Great historical info there, Vick!

And great added pix, too.

I love reading about this kind of stuff.

clap clap

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8223 on: January 18, 2016, 09:42:12 PM »
Great historical info there, Vick!

And great added pix, too.

I love reading about this kind of stuff.

clap clap

+1

Thanks for sharing here, CV.

Mirosae

« Reply #8224 on: January 19, 2016, 05:40:54 AM »
Thanks for the interest folks!  Thanks also for the question about the black cat as I turn to the amazing folks at usmilitariaforum.com to learn something and share it here :

When the Tank Corps was established as its own entity in March 1918, it adopted the motto "Treat 'em Rough"  (from a popular slogan of the time, "Catch 'em young, treat 'em rough, tell 'em nothing."  When the Tank Corps set up recruiting at the New York City Public Library on Fifth Avenue and Forty-Second Street, they had a mechanical bobcat on the top of a mock-up tank as attraction.

The recruiters decided they wanted a black cat for the mascot and for an attraction to be held at Century Theater in NYC.  They offered a $2 reward for a live black cat.  Only one kid showed up with a cat

While the Tank Corps recruiters were at the NYC Public Library in September 1918, An artist, Gustav W Hufal, made crayon sketches of the type of cat the boys wanted. He drew a picture of a soldier holding the only cat entered.

According to the New York Times article, "While the sketches were being made, the mechanical cat on top of the small tank was kept arching its back and waving its tail while the make-believe gun on the tank kept rattling away to the great satisfaction of the crowd."

The soldier whom he drew was none other than Sgt Guy Empey, the Canadian who wrote "Over the Top."  After Empey left the Canadian Army, he joined the fledgling U.S. Tank Corps.

fascinating reading. Great photos too. Need to read more about that artist - Hufal.