Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838024 times)

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #8150 on: December 11, 2015, 12:13:07 AM »
Some rad stuff and impressive bidding at eMovie tonight.

This 2001 that went over $5k is one of the best of the night, IMO.

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4071729

Were you the underbidder on this one, T, or was it someone using the name "Eatbrie?"  If you don't mind me asking.

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4071487

« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 12:26:59 AM by Neo »

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
  • I said......Give me time......
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
« Reply #8151 on: December 11, 2015, 12:44:43 AM »
Actually, i think the BTTF Adv is right where it should be.  On the modern stuff, stupidity is The Enforcer and Jaws 2 ($5k+), finally coming to their senses is LA Confidential (still way to high at $1.4k imo), and below what I thought is American Werewolf (only $900), Alien Adv ($800) and ET Adv ($600, although that copy is in terrible shape, so it probably makes sense).

T

I guess I didn't realize the BTTF ADV would/should fetch that much. That Jaws 2 was ridiculous.... Have you seen the Revenge of the Jedi on the bay pushing 35k right now? 

I still need that Adv ET....but that one was not it.
This Space For Rent!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #8152 on: December 11, 2015, 12:54:07 AM »
Some rad stuff and impressive bidding at eMovie tonight.

This 2001 that went over $5k is one of the best of the night, IMO.

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4071729

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Underbidder here.  I can't imagine another rolled copy of that style will turn up again anytime soon... if ever.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8153 on: December 11, 2015, 12:58:45 AM »

Were you the underbidder on this one, T, or was it someone using the name "Eatbrie?"  If you don't mind me asking.

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4071487

Yeah, that was me :(  I think I should have gone higher because it's a folded copy and I'm kicking myself for throwing in the towel.  Ah, next time.  I just came back from a 7 mile jog in the rain to purge myself.

T
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 12:59:17 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8154 on: December 11, 2015, 01:15:26 AM »
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Underbidder here.  I can't imagine another rolled copy of that style will turn up again anytime soon... if ever.

I didn't know it is that rare.  Welp, if there is another out there, you're the bounty hunter who can find it.  cool1

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8155 on: December 11, 2015, 01:22:22 AM »
Yeah, that was me :(  I think I should have gone higher because it's a folded copy and I'm kicking myself for throwing in the towel.  Ah, next time.  I just came back from a 7 mile jog in the rain to purge myself.

T

Going running sounds like a healthy approach to the situation.  Although it wouldn't surprise me if you said that now after running, you're indulging in wine, etc.   8)

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #8156 on: December 11, 2015, 01:37:39 AM »
Wow I guess I'm the only one that runs AND drinks at the same time.. thumbsup.gif

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8157 on: December 11, 2015, 01:45:34 AM »
Going running sounds like a healthy approach to the situation.  Although it wouldn't surprise me if you said that now after running, you're indulging in wine, etc.   8)

You got it so right.  I came home from running, smoked some pot, got a glass on wine, took a shower and kept drinking the vino, ordered super spicy Indian food and then realized maybe, maybe I should drink some water ;)

T
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 01:46:18 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8158 on: December 11, 2015, 01:48:00 AM »
Wow I guess I'm the only one that runs AND drinks at the same time.. thumbsup.gif

I did that during a marathon once.  I was on mile 23 and a friend of mine handed me a beer, which I drank.  Never felt so sick in my entire life.  I thought I was going to puke all over the finish line.

T
My Personal Collection

Mirosae

« Reply #8159 on: December 11, 2015, 03:46:21 AM »
All I can say is wow.....this major auction is pure madness.  What is up with the BTTF ADV...really?

What is BTTF?

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #8160 on: December 11, 2015, 04:17:33 AM »
Maybe, Back to the Future.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #8161 on: December 11, 2015, 04:18:22 AM »

What is BTTF?

I think it has something to do with Benjamin (Thunderderstorm?) Franklin

Mirosae

« Reply #8162 on: December 11, 2015, 04:28:18 AM »
Hehe thanks..ooopppps :P

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #8163 on: December 11, 2015, 01:56:11 PM »
Owing to current financial commitments (major home improvements) I had to forgo bidding in Part 3 apart from just one under-priced lot which I won. I hoped I could have been a contender for that Jaws 2 poster but had that down as a $2000 poster. The bar is set now for a hard to understand price and unless three or four surface in the coming months, in response to this sale, which mop up immediate demand I can't see myself being able to acquire one. The Enforcer was a $1000 poster in my opinion so the hammer price for that one was even harder to fathom. I think the Reservoir Dogs Cannes style was under-priced and a great buy for someone.

Mark

Mirosae

« Reply #8164 on: December 11, 2015, 04:59:27 PM »
Has anyone here seen that Enforcer adv before. I bought mine (the "other") one a while ago and don't remember seeing this version when I did my research.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #8165 on: December 11, 2015, 05:20:49 PM »
Re-posted from the mid-auction thread... it was the only one I'd ever come across:

I'm fairly certain I was the underbidder on this exact poster a few months ago at a small auction.  IIRC it went for $2-300.  Whoops!

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4071742

Mirosae

« Reply #8166 on: December 11, 2015, 07:12:33 PM »
Thanks Matt, and apos,  I somehow missed this info in your previous post. I had never seen it before, good to know from your post that yours went for a good price.  It is great when something "new-ish" pops in to the market. :) thumbsup.gif

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #8167 on: December 11, 2015, 10:29:24 PM »
I want to say that Dan had one on his old website... but I could be wrong on that...

Mirosae

« Reply #8168 on: December 12, 2015, 07:36:36 AM »
Dan....? Don't know him...:-\

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8169 on: December 12, 2015, 06:35:56 PM »
Dan....? Don't know him...:-\

Dan Rickard.  He has been around a while, and is (or used to be?) a fairly big-time collector, and his member name here is "Dan."  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php?action=profile;u=4235

He did several of his own authentications, several of which were a big help in detailing the differences between originals and bootlegs.  He also did a lot of research, and shared a lot of good, factual information.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 06:55:03 PM by Neo »

Mirosae

« Reply #8170 on: December 12, 2015, 07:01:08 PM »
Dan Rickard.  He has been around a while, and is (or used to be?) a fairly big-time collector, and his member name here is "Dan."  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php?action=profile;u=4235

He did several of his own authentications, several of which were a big help in detailing the differences between originals and bootlegs.  He also did a lot of research, and shared a lot of good, factual information.

many thanks always good to know these things!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8171 on: December 12, 2015, 07:45:14 PM »
Dan (not his name, btw, I can't remember his real name now) had a very nice collection which made me green with envy when I started collecting.  I printed jus entire website, which I still have, and it was quite something.  Only 70s on stuff, but some really rare items.  I think it is the only collection of posters that I ever coveted, probably because I was starting in the hobby and didn't know where to find the rare pieces in his collection.

He also did some amazing identifications, way way better than the other guy who erased his pictures from our forum. 

I think he sold most of his stuff since I ended up buying quite a few pieces.  And then he disappeared.  He only lives now in my memory.

T
My Personal Collection

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #8172 on: December 13, 2015, 04:09:32 AM »
Dan had an incredible knowledge of rarer modern posters. He came under pressure from some individuals regarding the validity of his (thorough) authentications and in particular the "minty whites". I still have a collection of emails from him, from when he operated a "secret" mailing list, that contains a lot of helpful information.

Mark

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8173 on: December 13, 2015, 09:17:13 PM »
Bruce got some good results in his Star Wars auction. One that caught me off guard was that the Starfall B2 went for so much.  That is the most I have ever seen that style sell for.
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4073297

The Force Awakens feeding frenzy seems to have bumped all these results up for a while, but with the current stream of Star Wars films in the future thanks to the Mouse House, will these results (or something close) become the new norm?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8174 on: December 13, 2015, 09:32:54 PM »
Interesting.  The Starfall was the only poster I expected to go higher.  Everything else went for way way above what I thought it should.  Collectors seem to have a lot of money these days.  I couldn't afford anything on Thursday and again tonight.

T
My Personal Collection