Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838067 times)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #8050 on: November 22, 2015, 06:20:24 PM »
As are, more importantly, the buyers it seems.

At the end of the day, both ebay and Heritage are selling online in an auction format.  Why does one platform attract one type of buyer and the other, another?

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #8051 on: November 22, 2015, 07:02:46 PM »
I understand, Rich, but c'mon, from a buyer's perspective, what the fuck is wrong with these people?  Just too much cash?

T

everyone isn't the same T.
most likely the results are combinations of many factors from having a specialized customer list; having buyers who may not buy at other auctions; having collectors from a variety of external collecting fields like comics, coins, props etc; people who don't take other results as the 'gospel' AND people who have too much money (and aren't cheap skates like too many collectors are)

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8052 on: November 22, 2015, 07:03:25 PM »
I'd delete this post, but I didn't see the option...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 07:07:21 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8053 on: November 22, 2015, 07:06:47 PM »
To me HA is in a different league.

exactly

As are, more importantly, the buyers it seems.

At the end of the day, both ebay and Heritage are selling online in an auction format.  Why does one platform attract one type of buyer and the other, another?

because they aren't even remotely the same. Ebay is a trash heap that you have to search heavily to find material that hasn't been listed for years with no sale at high prices, has few real auctions by % and has even fewer REAL auctions by starting price.

HA has Casablanca 1sheets, Frankenstein window cards and Three Stooges lobby cards .... I don't see these items on ebay AND there is no searching through many thousands of unwanted items

-------

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #8054 on: November 22, 2015, 07:22:39 PM »
Stuff on my watch list was all over the place.  From the sublime to the ridiculous ($9500 for Assassin of Youth, seriously???).  Wish I'd had a go at the Detour insert, thought it was going to be out of league, alas, quite reasonable.

I do note the continuing softness on the fiddies sci fi and '30s UniHo items.  Don't know if they were hampered by condition issues as I didn't watch that closely but a lot of really quality titles were going at or below their low estimates.  Perhaps the time is coming where we mere mortals can begin to participate.

I did sense the presence of Mr/s. Ma...neybags continuing to bid up any silent one sheet.  Talk about a blip in the space/time continuum.  I have a feeling somebody is taking them to the cleaners.
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8055 on: November 22, 2015, 07:29:09 PM »
$9500 for Assassin of Youth, seriously???

who knows what that was about.. 2 bidders!

-------

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #8056 on: November 22, 2015, 08:19:55 PM »
I'd like to see Bruce compete better with HA. I prefer to buy from EMP than HA. HA have some amazing items though.
- Maybe making the EMP website look more current less antiquated (plus it is difficult to view it on mobile phone as EMP site is not mobile friendly and most people it looks like view sites using their mobile phones now),
- removing old fashioned looking poster censorship (yes, a bee in my bonnet),
- less wordy ads where I don't know where to look and makes me not want to look (I haven't logged into the members newsletter for years),
- and probably needs somehow some more big ticket items which I am guessing may need to be no profit or loss making to build reputation for higher end items.
I don't want to preach, so I will say I am not a business owner and others who are may know better.

EMP however equals or exceeds HA with high res images, knowledge, shipping, quantity and service already which is a great foundation, so I hope EMP can find the momentum to compete more with HA. EMP sales were increasing very well only some years back, but dropped off a little bit recently (could just be the economy) ), but fingers crossed it is onwards and upwards.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8057 on: November 22, 2015, 08:26:07 PM »
Steve.. 5 years ago it was 50% selling at $15 or less, now, when I look, I see 60%, 65%.. one week I saw 71%

it's representative of the fact that so many items each week are far more than the collector's market can handle and so prices keep tumbling
it's an endemic issue that all dealers are unhappy with as it effects us all negatively and realistically - it effects collectors as well
who wants to buy a poster in January for $100 and see the price ridden down to $25 by December?

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8058 on: November 22, 2015, 08:38:04 PM »
everyone isn't the same T.
most likely the results are combinations of many factors from having a specialized customer list; having buyers who may not buy at other auctions; having collectors from a variety of external collecting fields like comics, coins, props etc; people who don't take other results as the 'gospel' AND people who have too much money (and aren't cheap skates like too many collectors are)

I agree with you here, too rich. Those that bid at HA (more so the Sig auctions) are in a different cash league, too, Im willing to bet. Tacking and not being bothered on an additional 19.5% on a $75K purchase, says something (to me, anyhow).

And the items are often very special.. and they come to HA with great regularity.

Other sites also receive those more rare, or potentially one-of-a-kind items, but not with the same frequency. And chances are, too, that many of HA's heavy hitters do  not bid elsewhere, preferring to stick with Grey & Co.

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #8059 on: November 23, 2015, 03:09:09 AM »
Stuff on my watch list was all over the place.  From the sublime to the ridiculous ($9500 for Assassin of Youth, seriously???).  Wish I'd had a go at the Detour insert, thought it was going to be out of league, alas, quite reasonable.

I do note the continuing softness on the fiddies sci fi and '30s UniHo items.  Don't know if they were hampered by condition issues as I didn't watch that closely but a lot of really quality titles were going at or below their low estimates.  Perhaps the time is coming where we mere mortals can begin to participate.

I did sense the presence of Mr/s. Ma...neybags continuing to bid up any silent one sheet.  Talk about a blip in the space/time continuum.  I have a feeling somebody is taking them to the cleaners.

I am sure you are right. I noticed some good deals on the silent cinema front. At one point a really endearing Chaplin had 0 bids@ $290. All the others had a bid with her/his name all over it.  I bet M$000 got had a good night.

Mirosae

« Reply #8060 on: November 23, 2015, 03:15:50 AM »
I'd like to see Bruce compete better with HA. I prefer to buy from EMP than HA. HA have some amazing items though.
- Maybe making the EMP website look more current less antiquated (plus it is difficult to view it on mobile phone as EMP site is not mobile friendly and most people it looks like view sites using their mobile phones now),
- less wordy ads where I don't know where to look and makes me not want to look (I haven't logged into the members newsletter for years),
- and probably needs somehow some more big ticket items which I am guessing may need to be no profit or loss making to build reputation for higher end items.
I don't want to preach, so I will say I am not a business owner and others who are may know better.

EMP however equals or exceeds HA with high res images, knowledge, shipping, quantity and service already which is a great foundation, so I hope EMP can find the momentum to compete more with HA. EMP sales were increasing very well only some years back, but dropped off a little bit recently (could just be the economy) ), but fingers crossed it is onwards and upwards.

Agree on both accounts. The site could be clearer. But to me the key issue is about their offer. They have exquisite posters but rarely  extraordinary posters like HA. I know HA has BP but that never bothered me. I am looking forward to the March Sig auction already.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #8061 on: November 23, 2015, 04:14:43 AM »
I dont bid on either.
Well not so far (except the Mad Butcher OS from EMP which i think was a couple of bucks)

edit $4

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/10549311.html
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 04:16:25 AM by Ari »
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #8062 on: November 23, 2015, 04:27:31 AM »
I dont bid on either.
Well not so far (except the Mad Butcher OS from EMP which i think was a couple of bucks)

edit $4

Ha ha that's a good buy. MAGG would be envious

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #8063 on: November 23, 2015, 04:29:57 AM »
Offal-Envy, its common.
An Error Has Occurred!

Mirosae

« Reply #8064 on: November 23, 2015, 05:08:37 AM »
I dont bid on either.

edit $4

Blimey..that is a good deal!

My best e.v.e.r. buy was also from EMP. I paid $21 for a Bogie poster. One of my fav posters actually.

girly.gif

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #8065 on: November 23, 2015, 05:33:38 AM »
I am looking at EMP now, as FOR ME his prices are LOW, the stuff that interests me he doesn't do well with.
But his postage is a killer, I know about the hold and post thing, but $50 or so to post to me is too much.
(looking at it from a reselling POV) if it was something/s for me personally its a different story of course.

An Error Has Occurred!

Mirosae

« Reply #8066 on: November 23, 2015, 05:42:56 AM »
^ True...tho I think postage is nearly always a killer anyway Ari. I had to "fight" HA to get a proper shipping quote; last time I did, saved $21.00. Hey..every little helps :P

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8067 on: November 23, 2015, 12:23:54 PM »
I am looking at EMP now, as FOR ME his prices are LOW, the stuff that interests me he doesn't do well with.
But his postage is a killer, I know about the hold and post thing, but $50 or so to post to me is too much.
(looking at it from a reselling POV) if it was something/s for me personally its a different story of course.

I think EMP's shipping prices are a bit high, too. But there is that security in knowing the items are being well packaged and then arriving undamaged.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #8068 on: November 23, 2015, 02:12:41 PM »
I agree with you here, too rich. Those that bid at HA (more so the Sig auctions) are in a different cash league, too, Im willing to bet. Tacking and not being bothered on an additional 19.5% on a $75K purchase, says something (to me, anyhow).
And the items are often very special.. and they come to HA with great regularity.
Other sites also receive those more rare, or potentially one-of-a-kind items, but not with the same frequency. And chances are, too, that many of HA's heavy hitters do  not bid elsewhere, preferring to stick with Grey & Co.

I consider myself a véritable posterphile more than most, including the ones who might have paid $87 K from a high profile Heritage auction.  That stuff is about power buyers waving their wallets around.  Rather than shunned by the competition they are attracted by it. 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8069 on: November 23, 2015, 02:14:59 PM »
Yup.. I'm sure there are those that bid at that realm (whether it be for posters or anything else) where that thought process is going through their minds, Vick.

And remember when Ralph DeLuca was then Tweeting about his poster wins and buys a couple years ago too? (Metropolis comes to mind).  ;)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 02:19:28 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #8070 on: November 23, 2015, 02:25:22 PM »

good suggestions, hopefully someone has a membership over there and can see this thread. I think after the December Major EMP will pretty much match the 2014 results though.  

I would also add :

- as i previously mentioned, adding a one click button that searches that movie poster in their database, rather than having to go to the history page, typing the movie etc.
- some sort of tube recycling program you can opt into if available.  I've sent super hardcore consignment tubes to EMP and yet when I get my EMP posters its always a new gorilla tube and they charge me for it.  What did they do with my supertube, trash it?
- no more discriminatory practices against Non US customers - if in some cases they are taking a "hit" by having $12 super full tubes to anywhere in the US, why cant they take a somewhat similar hit at the international level?  
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 02:28:01 PM by Crazy Vick »

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8071 on: November 23, 2015, 02:33:20 PM »

That stuff is about power buyers waving their wallets around. 

Although I can't speak for the bidders, and unless someone has telepathic powers to know their reasons, I don't think this is what it's about for many of them.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8072 on: November 23, 2015, 02:41:24 PM »
good suggestions, hopefully someone has a membership over there and can see this thread. I think after the December Major EMP will pretty much match the 2014 results though.  

I would also add :

- as i previously mentioned, adding a one click button that searches that movie poster in their database, rather than having to go to the history page, typing the movie etc.
- some sort of tube recycling program you can opt into if available.  I've sent super hardcore consignment tubes to EMP and yet when I get my EMP posters its always a new gorilla tube and they charge me for it.  What did they do with my supertube, trash it?
- no more discriminatory practices against Non US customers - if in some cases they are taking a "hit" by having $12 super full tubes to anywhere in the US, why cant they take a somewhat similar hit at the international level?  

But dont forget too, probably the hundreds (or thousands) of tubes they send out with ONLY one poster inside at that 12 dollar rate. I've mailed a single poster, in one of those gorilla tubes, across the country, and with USPS Priority 3 Day Shipping (as the parcel weighed over 13 oz and therefore, was the only USPS mailing option available), the cost was about $6.75.

So it balances out, I'm willing to wager, in the long run.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 02:42:31 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #8073 on: November 23, 2015, 03:48:19 PM »
Although I can't speak for the bidders, and unless someone has telepathic powers to know their reasons, I don't think this is what it's about for many of them.

I'm referring to the ones who would pay $87K for a movie poster... not the others.  If you pay 87K for a movie poster, there is something seriously wrong with you.  Not telepathy, call it insight on capitalists and their egos.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8074 on: November 23, 2015, 03:49:31 PM »
I've mailed a single poster.... with USPS Priority 3 Day Shipping (as the parcel weighed over 13 oz and therefore, was the only USPS mailing option available), the cost was about $6.75.

the difference between 13 oz & 18 ozs is severe.. about $3.00 more from coast to the other coast and from experience, it is rare that I mail a package weighing less than 1 lb

-------