Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838261 times)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #650 on: October 07, 2010, 09:27:40 AM »
No one could miss that disclaimer unless they were blind.  It's in block capital red letters. 

Blind or drunk or just in a rushed bidding frenzy. There were two of em driving that thing.

I try to avoid em like the plague but I got into a bidding war once and I did regret it a bit after.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #651 on: October 14, 2010, 07:47:37 PM »
Spotted this a while back:

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #653 on: October 21, 2010, 01:11:51 PM »
lmao @ "it has never been unraveled"
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #654 on: October 21, 2010, 01:14:26 PM »
Here's a WTF...
http://cgi.ebay.com/1977-Star-Wars-Poster-Unopened-/120635858315?pt=Art_Posters&hash=item1c16751d8b

Brude, I don't understand why you'd have a problem buying a commercial Star Wars poster for $4,500 from a seller with zero feedback and a name like "hit man josh."

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #655 on: October 21, 2010, 01:22:52 PM »
Right.  And it looks like a flattened poster as well. The noive...

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #656 on: November 04, 2010, 09:58:23 PM »
I bowed out of this one and watched these 2 go apeshit.  Its a cool poster, but i doubt anyone was expecting $175 worth of cool.
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=1990961
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #657 on: November 04, 2010, 10:09:16 PM »
Yeah, prices at Emovie sometimes defy logic. Those S2 art group reproductions they sold tonight were fantastic - I wanted one but lost interest after it surpassed $200.  Of course a two second Google search would have revealed that you can still buy many of them direct from the original S2 Art Group/Jack Gallery (not really sure the relationship) for $325.  Yet these Emovie bidders bid them some of them up past $325:

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #658 on: November 04, 2010, 10:36:22 PM »
I bowed out of this one and watched these 2 go apeshit.  Its a cool poster, but i doubt anyone was expecting $175 worth of cool.
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=1990961

I don't always go for the bidding war, but this guy just pissed me off in so many ways.  I didn't want to pay that either, but I just had a feeling about this one that I didn't want to let it get away.  I searched pretty far and wide and was not able to locate another, not even folded.

Bidding is really an art sometimes.  If you put in a high bid up front, someone like me can come along and inch it up just for shits and giggles.  If you go back and forth in increments, it can give the other guy the feeling that he's almost about to bump me out.  Sometimes, like this one, I just get fed up and say fuck you -you're not getting this. And that, of course, makes Bruce very happy.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #659 on: November 04, 2010, 10:40:25 PM »
Yeah, prices at Emovie sometimes defy logic. Those S2 art group reproductions they sold tonight were fantastic - I wanted one but lost interest after it surpassed $200.  Of course a two second Google search would have revealed that you can still buy many of them direct from the original S2 Art Group/Jack Gallery (not really sure the relationship) for $325.  Yet these Emovie bidders bid them some of them up past $325:

Mel, I get more and more impressed with your ability to datamine as the days go by.  I didn't even think to look.  The one I was interested in was Thief of Bagdad.  I did not see what it went for tonight, but it's gone for higher than the 325 in the past.  My Boy is Growing Up!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Bruce

« Reply #660 on: November 04, 2010, 11:51:24 PM »
Holiday

AS you likely know I have a vast collection of pressbooks, and it is rare that a good one comes along that I don't have.

When one does, I often bite the bullet and pay what I have to to get it.

Then I hold my breath, hoping someone doesn't offer another one right away, because it may go for half what I just paid, but sometimes that DOES happen, and you learn to live with it.

Bruce

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #661 on: November 04, 2010, 11:58:33 PM »
Holiday

AS you likely know I have a vast collection of pressbooks, and it is rare that a good one comes along that I don't have.

When one does, I often bite the bullet and pay what I have to to get it.

Then I hold my breath, hoping someone doesn't offer another one right away, because it may go for half what I just paid, but sometimes that DOES happen, and you learn to live with it.

Bruce

I know exactly how you feel.  Fortunately, that doesn't happen too often.  I rarely get buyer's remorse, and the fact is that the poster we were just fighting over is worth it in terms of:  a) being very cool; and b) being rolled even though a 1988 movie.  As much as a hothead as I can be, I would spend a crazy amount just to beat the other guy.  It's just not as good a deal as it could have been....
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #662 on: November 05, 2010, 08:09:46 AM »
Wait, phatteus is you holiday??  Sneaky bastard!
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Bruce

« Reply #663 on: November 05, 2010, 08:24:44 AM »
Mel

On the S2s, those places that still list them for $325 say "subject to availability". I guess you could contact them and confirm they still have them. I do know that when these were first made around 1999 to 2002 they made like 100 of each, but when those sold out they made something like ten at a time (because they use a 100 year old press and there is no value to doing lots of them), and I don't know that they are still making them at all.

Whenever you see people pay more to us for items you may well be able to find elsewhere for slightly less (or sometimes a lot less) you have to remember that people have to weigh the "aggravation factor", the chance that they will get cheated in some way, or that the item will be damaged due to sub-sufficient packaging, that it is over-graded, rip-off shipping, etc. They KNOW there is next-to-no chance of those things happening with us, AND that if they have the slightest problem we will make it right.

And yes, I agree that everyone SHOULD check our Sales Results Database on every item BEFORE they bid (to get both a sense of rarity and previous sales records) and that they SHOULD check all over the Internet to see if they are offered for sale anywhere, but not everyone has the time for this, especially if they might bid on dozens of items.

Over the years, some people have seen an item going high in one of our auctions and have found it "for sale" somewhere else, only to later get told it was already sold and the site was not updated, or that the price was no longer good due to the high eMoviePoster.com result!

I understand not wanting to pay too much, but it takes LOTS and LOTS of work to help keep that from happening, and sometimes today's great deal turns into tomorrow's latest rip-off story. You have the time and energy to do lots of research, and for that I applaud you.

Bruce

Bruce

« Reply #664 on: November 05, 2010, 09:17:21 AM »
One last thing on the S2s. I notice that some of the people who paid more than $325 for one also got one for LESS than $325, and that balances out. Sure they could only get the discount one and try to hunt down the other one somewhere else, but that means two shipping charges, and two packages that could get damaged, and some people don't have the mindset to think that is worthwhile.

People WILL often pay a premium to places that give great customer service, and look for a discount from places that have non-existent customer service.

But I can't help noticing that buyers only focus on the items we have that go HIGH. There really were some really great deals, more so in Tuesday's auctions, and it was the "smart shoppers" who closely looked over every item who got those great deals.

Bruce

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #665 on: November 05, 2010, 09:47:14 AM »
Guys, how much intelligence does it take to type in "S2 Art Group" into the Google search box thingamajiggy!  Tain't rocket science  hitself

I'm not slighting Emovieposter.  It's obvious many of the bidders there ONLY bid on Emovie for whatever reasons (convenience, quality service, time saving, etc.) and make no effort to look elsewhere and are willing to pay extra.  Good for them.  Scavengers like me are willing to take the time/effort/risk to save money.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #666 on: November 05, 2010, 10:43:34 AM »
Wait, phatteus is you holiday??  Sneaky bastard!

Yeah, but I change the id from time to time to keep the unfriendlies from tracking me or riding my coattails on things I like.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #667 on: November 05, 2010, 10:45:19 AM »
Guys, how much intelligence does it take to type in "S2 Art Group" into the Google search box thingamajiggy!  Tain't rocket science  hitself

More than I have!  I guess what I mean is the assumption as Bruce puts it that these are not available through regular retail channels any longer.  But there you go ... assumptions.....
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #668 on: November 05, 2010, 11:34:25 AM »
This is pretty funny... someone just won the original Hitler wall mural from Inglourious Basterds for $200!

It turns out it was actually a poster... it says the shipping size is a 14' tube!  If that is the width, I wonder how tall that basterd is?

EDIT: Donnie's bat also sold for $3700.  That would pretty cool (if a bit morbid), but price of props usually blows me away.  If I think of what posters I could buy for $3700 I quickly lose interest! 

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #669 on: November 05, 2010, 12:41:19 PM »
Holiday

Bruce

NICE!  Do you provide copies or photographs for researchers?

Bruce

« Reply #670 on: November 05, 2010, 02:00:30 PM »
Right now, I have about 25,000 UNSORTED pressbooks in around 150 large boxes! A few years ago I sorted through almost all the ones I had from the 1960s, and I discovered I was missing next to nothing. I would estimate that I have around 75% of the 1950s, around 50% of the 1940s around one third of the 1930s, and around 25% of the 1920s. But until I find the time to sort them all out, they will remain true "buried treasure"!

Bruce

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #671 on: November 05, 2010, 02:26:55 PM »
Mel

On the S2s, those places that still list them for $325 say "subject to availability". I guess you could contact them and confirm they still have them. I do know that when these were first made around 1999 to 2002 they made like 100 of each, but when those sold out they made something like ten at a time (because they use a 100 year old press and there is no value to doing lots of them), and I don't know that they are still making them at all.

Bruce.. this is not correct. I've seen them printing them and they have to make at least 25-50 to bother mixing the inks (which is don't by hand) and to cover the costs. I can ask Jack next time I go down there.

availability however is the issue. There are lots of them that they don't have anymore and probably will not reprint because demand was low for many titles. Some of those original print runs I'll bet they still have some titles which sold poorly. Obviously, the horror titles are some other toip titles are not among them

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #672 on: November 07, 2010, 07:25:51 PM »
Hey l@@k - some third grade art class project just sold for $950!  eyeroll

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #673 on: November 07, 2010, 07:52:44 PM »
Wow Harry....nice piece of cinema history but the question is do you display it?
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #674 on: November 07, 2010, 08:13:25 PM »
Wow Harry....nice piece of cinema history but the question is do you display it?

Well, I sure as hell didn't win it (or even bid on it).  But even if I did, I don't think anyone could get away with displaying a 14' wide  (and probably 20' tall) Hitler poster!