Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838257 times)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #7825 on: September 23, 2015, 02:43:39 PM »
Probably as many strategies as there are collectors.

I know I prefer posters with 'character'.  I want my paper to show some war wounds simply because I personally am collecting memories.  I want to believe that my poster was used to advertise the movie and those pinholes and folds prove that.
-Jay-

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #7826 on: September 23, 2015, 02:44:07 PM »
I own a near mint

when Phil Seuling used to issue his mail order comic lists, he had a grading dictionary on the back page

at the top was:

Mint: a type of chewing gum or green herb that grows in your yard

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #7827 on: September 23, 2015, 02:45:00 PM »
Totally disagree.  What one person considers something as damaged another person considers it a piece of history.  Additionally, a lot of people think something that is "mint" is too good to be true, and is a repro., commercial poster, etc., especially for a popular title like this, and they would rather have something like the quad above.

I have to disagree with you as well Brandon. Whilst a few collectors appreciate "wear and tear" a better condition poster will always sell for more than a poorer condition alternative if both are offered for sale at the same time in the same way. I am excluding posters which have been restored/backed. Similarly, a rolled version of a poster usually found folded should attract a premium over the latter.

Mark

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7828 on: September 23, 2015, 02:46:37 PM »
I think "character" ends with the 50s... maybe 60s.  Modern posters do not have character.  They have damages.

T
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 02:47:43 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #7829 on: September 23, 2015, 02:51:55 PM »
A piece of history because it has tears and pieces of tape on it, now that's funny.  I own a near mint (there you go, Rich) rolled copy of the Nightmare quad and - I'm going to go out on a limb here - I do think it could have fetched more money.

T

I was referring to your blanket statement:

I don't think anyone is going to be bid on something because it is damaged and has character.

One or more of the folks bidding on the above quad, or another similar scenario, may have not even bid on the same piece in much better, or near perfect condition.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7830 on: September 23, 2015, 02:56:22 PM »
One or more of the folks bidding on the above quad, or another similar scenario, may have not even bid on the same piece in much better, or near perfect condition.

Thanks for letting me know.  When I send my quad to Bruce, I will make sure to hit my wife on the head a couple of times to give it some character.  I just want to make sure everyone bids on it.

sm1

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #7831 on: September 23, 2015, 03:06:58 PM »
Thanks for letting me know.  When I send my quad to Bruce, I will make sure to hit my wife on the head a couple of times to give it some character.  I just want to make sure everyone bids on it.

sm1

T

Oh boy...

As Jay said, some people would prefer to buy a poster that is not in near perfect condition, for various reasons.  That is all.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 03:28:37 PM by Neo »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7832 on: September 23, 2015, 03:26:56 PM »
As Jay said, some people would prefer to buy one that is not in near perfect condition, for various reasons.  That is all.

I have no idea why, but whatever... if it makes you happy.  If you only knew the amount of posters I have disposed of over the years for not meeting my near mint/mint criteria, I think that would make you mad.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #7833 on: September 23, 2015, 04:54:17 PM »
I think "character" ends with the 50s... maybe 60s.  Modern posters do not have character.  They have damages.

T

I would agree somewhat, but make it the 90s.  That's when folded became rolled and lots of stuff became available from secondary sources.

We can both be right, because I have little interest in that stuff.
-Jay-

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7834 on: September 23, 2015, 05:01:31 PM »
I would agree somewhat, but make it the 90s.  That's when folded became rolled and lots of stuff became available from secondary sources.

We can both be right, because I have little interest in that stuff.

I do not buy folded US posters post 1985.  They can all be found rolled.  And pretty much anything post 1970 can still be found in near mint condition, which is why I tentatively said the 60s.  Like the Nightmare quad.  I saw a bunch of folded quads go by but I waited and waited and eventually found a rolled near mint.  They are out there, so why settle for second best.  That's my motto anyway.  It works with women too ;)

T
My Personal Collection

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #7835 on: September 23, 2015, 05:17:51 PM »
I do not buy folded US posters post 1985.  They can all be found rolled.  And pretty much anything post 1970 can still be found in near mint condition, which is why I tentatively said the 60s.  Like the Nightmare quad.  I saw a bunch of folded quads go by but I waited and waited and eventually found a rolled near mint.  They are out there, so why settle for second best.  That's my motto anyway.  It works with women too ;)

T

But your perfect is probably not my perfect (woman) :)

Similarly, I definitely consider rolled, mint posters from the 70s and 80s as 'fake'.  They may come from the same print run, but as I said earlier, I want my posters to be ones that were used for their intended purpose.  A rolled "garage queen" does not meet my criteria.

And its all good, because it pretty much guarantees we will never be bidding against each other.  Happy collecting T :)
-Jay-

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7836 on: September 23, 2015, 06:05:05 PM »
Similarly, I definitely consider rolled, mint posters from the 70s and 80s as 'fake'.

Someone around here ONLY collects rolled posters.  Who is it?  Ed?  Whoever it is, he managed to find some pretty awesome pieces from the 70s and I don't think he would appreciate you telling him his treasures are fake.

Personally, I don't care if a poster was used or not.  Well, actually, I do a little since I want them near mint.  What matters to me is that they were printed by the studio with the intent to be used theatrically.  It doesn't need to have been in a theater as long as it came from the original print run.

But like you said, different viewpoints means more for all of us, so it's all good.  Enjoy your good to very good Bruce posters :)  Btw, my stance only relates to 80s on posters.  For the 70s and before, I have a whole different set of rules.

T
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 06:07:11 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7837 on: September 23, 2015, 07:15:39 PM »
I'm sure all can agree that the real winner here is Bigmike. thumbsup.gif

This is bigmike's poster
http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9514.msg186336.html#msg186336

Bigmike - we happy?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7838 on: September 23, 2015, 07:22:37 PM »
Mike asked me when the poster was still at $200 how much I thought it'd sell for.  I told him $700 up to $1,000 is two collectors go crazy.  I wasn't that far off.  Mike is actually one of the good guys, so I'm happy for him.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #7839 on: September 23, 2015, 10:12:50 PM »
It works with women too ;)

T

I understand you want them near mint, but how do you roll a woman?  :D
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 10:13:18 PM by 110x75 »
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7840 on: September 23, 2015, 10:24:26 PM »
I understand you want them near mint, but how do you roll a woman?  :D

I don't roll.  I fold.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #7841 on: September 23, 2015, 10:26:05 PM »
 :D
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #7842 on: September 23, 2015, 10:29:13 PM »
except... potroll.gif

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7843 on: September 23, 2015, 10:43:52 PM »
except... potroll.gif

I don't roll either.  I'm a pipe kinda guy.  Never smoked a cigarette in my life.  Just cigars and pot with a pipe.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #7844 on: September 23, 2015, 10:55:26 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MocapWGtwkQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MocapWGtwkQ</a>
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 10:56:46 PM by Crazy Vick »

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #7845 on: September 23, 2015, 11:08:29 PM »
I have no idea why, but whatever... if it makes you happy.  If you only knew the amount of posters I have disposed of over the years for not meeting my near mint/mint criteria, I think that would make you mad.

T

It wouldn't make me mad.  I say do whatever you want with your stuff.

The last time I moved, I decided to sort through all my posters, and there were several that aren't that rare or valuable, and some were in bad condition.  I started to package them to give away, and decided it was not worth it, and just put them in the garbage can.  In hindsight, there are a few things over the years that I wish I had kept.

The other day, I thought about a rad Beavis and Butthead poster, for the soundtrack with Cher, that the guys at a local record store gifted me back in the day.  It was about the size of a bus shelter poster, featuring Cher in a thong, with Beavis and Butthead somewhere on the poster, I can't remember where.  :P  It was in a storage room for many years, and one day I just made a quick decision to throw it away.  I haven't scoured the planet, but I haven't seen another since.

Not to derail this thread into total awesomeness, but here is the classic music video from the soundtrack:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/uPS_iGpuZos" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/uPS_iGpuZos</a>
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 11:18:39 PM by Neo »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7846 on: September 23, 2015, 11:19:56 PM »
Oh man, I so need to smoke now.  Thanks Brandon.  You're right, this is pure awesomeness.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7847 on: September 23, 2015, 11:37:23 PM »
Oh yeah..  thumbsup.gif

I got you, babe!

-Jeff

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #7848 on: September 24, 2015, 12:47:49 AM »
The other day, I thought about a rad Beavis and Butthead poster, for the soundtrack with Cher, that the guys at a local record store gifted me back in the day.  It was about the size of a bus shelter poster, featuring Cher in a thong, with Beavis and Butthead somewhere on the poster, I can't remember where.  :P  It was in a storage room for many years, and one day I just made a quick decision to throw it away.  I haven't scoured the planet, but I haven't seen another since.

How does it feel to be the last known person in the world to have hung onto a poster of Cher in a thong (including bevis and butthead for credibity of course)?

« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 12:49:50 AM by 50s »

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #7849 on: September 24, 2015, 06:32:17 AM »

Similarly, I definitely consider rolled, mint posters from the 70s and 80s as 'fake'.  They may come from the same print run, but as I said earlier, I want my posters to be ones that were used for their intended purpose.  A rolled "garage queen" does not meet my criteria.

That did make me chuckle. I try and find posters my unfolded in as good condition as possible and for me this adds to thrill of the chase. In the past I've found unfolded quads and ones sheets that only ever show up on emovie and elsewhere folded and I continue to be amazed that some have survived in the condition they're in. For me folds do ruin a poster and stop me appreciating the art / design as much. It may be controversial but that's my view. Don't get me started on linen-backing too!  puke2

As T says, there's a lot of patience involved in collecting posters how I like 'em! Recently, however,  I've realised I'll have to compromise on a few Thai posters as there are some titles that are rare in any condition.

It's good to know that you're one less collector to compete with anway. thumbsup.gif
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 08:09:38 AM by Ed_209uk »
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper