Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838184 times)

Mirosae

Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #7775 on: September 01, 2015, 05:04:32 PM »

I wouldn't say the originals have lost value.  The last one at HA that you mentioned sold for $1,300 is in the ballpark of the current market value for them.

Thanks Brandon.  You might be right it was below the usual price but not for that much. I just keep thinking this one won't hold its price for too much longer... :P

I totally love it though!!! It is one of my fav posters (and films)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #7776 on: September 01, 2015, 06:13:55 PM »
Thanks Brandon.  You might be right it was below the usual price but not for that much. I just keep thinking this one won't hold its price for too much longer... :P

I totally love it though!!! It is one of my fav posters (and films)

I think these are going to only increase with time.  It's one of the best posters for a newer film, with a cool history, plus the rarity of originals, and the film is a classic.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 12:02:47 AM by Neo »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7777 on: September 01, 2015, 08:16:52 PM »
Channing is a member here and was on the board earlier, probably thanks to Rich.
I'm sure he's addressing this issue now.
 pcorn

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7778 on: September 01, 2015, 10:53:50 PM »
Guys - nowhere does he state in the auction it is a Lucky Strike version of the poster.  What I was implying is that he used a Lucky Strike stock photo and meant to just use a regular Pulp Fiction one sheet pic (which is what he really had for sale explaining the price point).
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #7779 on: September 01, 2015, 11:21:47 PM »
Guys - nowhere does he state in the auction it is a Lucky Strike version of the poster.  What I was implying is that he used a Lucky Strike stock photo and meant to just use a regular Pulp Fiction one sheet pic (which is what he really had for sale explaining the price point).

yeah
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7780 on: September 02, 2015, 12:38:41 AM »
Anyone else notice that a lot of the posters in Bruce's September auctions appear to be from Mel's collection?
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #7781 on: September 02, 2015, 12:48:08 AM »
Anyone else notice that a lot of the posters in Bruce's September auctions appear to be from Mel's collection?

no.
1) I haven't looked at EMP.
2) I cant remember anything Mel had except Psycho in bathroom.
An Error Has Occurred!

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #7782 on: September 02, 2015, 01:04:44 AM »
Yes there were quite a few Mel had. That Rita ? Trinidad 3 sheet  and a french grand of moulin rouge, but 2

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #7783 on: September 02, 2015, 01:07:29 AM »
2) I cant remember anything Mel had except Psycho in bathroom.

Correction... That framed poster was in the actual shower recess itself  along with the soap

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #7784 on: September 02, 2015, 01:09:36 AM »
oh haha wow, brave "man" ;)
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7785 on: September 03, 2015, 08:08:21 PM »
The High winning bid of $1060.00 took this tonight. I think this was quite a good deal for someone.  clap clap

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&auction_uid1=3963343

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7786 on: September 03, 2015, 09:56:14 PM »
The Lady From Shanghai LB 3 sheet was the high taker tonight, at $5095.00.   clap clap

That and the previous 6sh mentioned were both won by "movieman"

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3963363

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7787 on: September 03, 2015, 10:40:25 PM »
I so want this one.  If it had been folded, I would have bid on it, no hesitation.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7788 on: September 03, 2015, 10:47:09 PM »
Its a beaut, that's for sure, T.

And i know what you mean, re it being backed vs folded.

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #7789 on: September 03, 2015, 11:53:58 PM »
The 6 sheet for When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth was one of the best at eMovie tonight, IMO.  The last time I visited Mel's poster gallery, this 6 sheet was on the wall right when you walked in the door, and it was really stunning.  The film is not exactly grounded in science, of course, as the earliest known hominids were not around until about 60 million years after the dinosaurs became extinct, but that cave chick is hot, and the dinosaurs and all are rad.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7790 on: September 04, 2015, 12:00:03 AM »
Its a beaut, that's for sure, T.

And i know what you mean, re it being backed vs folded.

So sad.  Every time Bruce has a linenbacked sale, I don't even look at what he's offering, since I know I won't be buying.  I have absolutely zero interest in that stuff.  Then I see what he was selling on the forum, through you and others, and I cry. 

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #7791 on: September 04, 2015, 02:37:08 AM »
The Lady From Shanghai LB 3 sheet was the high taker tonight, at $5095.00.   clap clap

That and the previous 6sh mentioned were both won by "movieman"

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3963363

I was the under bidder on the Lady from Shanghai 3sh. Movie man done me again as he got the Laura 1sh a while back. I suspect I know who that guy is.
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline filmposter.net

• Beginner
    • Galerie filmposter.net
« Reply #7792 on: September 04, 2015, 09:22:52 AM »
It still doesn't explain the "too good to be true" price it was listed for, if the actual poster sold is an original, as Jeff mentioned.  The price is high for a bootleg (which usually sell for $10-$20 when they're rightfully described as such), and of course, way too low for an original in good condition.

Maybe it's a wrong image, but MAYBE it's a typo in the price and Channing meant to ask $1,500 for it?

It happened to me not so long ago, this one was available on my website for €100 for several weeks:

http://www.filmposter.net/en/the-graduate-original-release-us-onesheet-movie-poster/

Fortunately, I noticed my mistake and corrected it before anyone of you did. So for once: Thanks for NOT looking!

Helmut
“You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you odd.” ― Flannery O'Connor

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #7793 on: September 04, 2015, 09:32:25 AM »
Maybe it's a wrong image, but MAYBE it's a typo in the price and Channing meant to ask $1,500 for it?

It happened to me not so long ago, this one was available on my website for €100 for several weeks:

http://www.filmposter.net/en/the-graduate-original-release-us-onesheet-movie-poster/

Fortunately, I noticed my mistake and corrected it before anyone of you did. So for once: Thanks for NOT looking!

Helmut

Maybe we did and didn't think it was worth it  :P

Offline filmposter.net

• Beginner
    • Galerie filmposter.net
« Reply #7794 on: September 04, 2015, 11:22:06 AM »

Maybe we did and didn't think it was worth it  :P

Aaaaah... If there were only more guys like you out there. It would make earning a living in this business so much easier!  :)
“You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you odd.” ― Flannery O'Connor

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7795 on: September 08, 2015, 09:45:02 PM »
I so want this one.  If it had been folded, I would have bid on it, no hesitation.

T

Why would you have bid on this only if it had been folded. I 'd have thought it would have been better not folded. ?

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #7796 on: September 08, 2015, 09:57:38 PM »
Why would you have bid on this only if it had been folded. I 'd have thought it would have been better not folded. ?

This particular poster was mounted to linen and T likes his posters unbacked.   

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #7797 on: September 08, 2015, 10:08:49 PM »
The unfriendly postman told T don't even think of ordering heavy linenbacked posters...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7798 on: September 08, 2015, 11:08:10 PM »

3 reasons...

1) I do not trust linenbacking, or to be more precise, I do not trust what linenbacking hides.  I like to know what kind of damages my poster has before it is linenbacked.  I have linenbacked a few posters of mine and I have kept pictures of what the posters looked like before for my archives.  I have been burnt before and won't go through it again.

2) Linenbacked posters are very hard to store, they take a lot of room, while you can stack more than 300 folded posters in a drawer.  Since I own more than 11,000 posters, I'd have to buy a gym to store them all linenbacked.

3) I like my posters the way they were printed.  I will only buy a linenbacked poster or linenback it myself if 1) I know I won't be able to find a folded version or 2) if the poster is extremely damaged and I know I won't be able to find a clean folded version.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7799 on: September 09, 2015, 03:20:46 AM »
This great looking 3 sheet for the film, For Me and My Gal (1942), starring Judy Garland and Gene Kelly, sold tonight on the bay for $255.00 with 23 bids.   thumbsup.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-ME-AND-MY-GAL-linenbkd-3-sht-ORIG-MOVIE-POSTER-JUDY-GARLAND-GENE-KELLY-1942-/121748579384?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=7cpGsQeTX5QHGYL7WwJtR8yWnts%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 03:21:24 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff