Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837071 times)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 09:36:03 PM by Neo »

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #7551 on: June 29, 2015, 11:06:46 PM »
9 hours in and I have hit auction fatigue  imbecile.gif  coffee sad.gif.............and the Golden age of Hollywood is tomorrow...looking forward to that!!
Tait

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #7553 on: June 30, 2015, 01:17:23 AM »
Here I've wasted my time searching for nice unrestored lobbies, when apparently the way to do it is buy heavily restored ones, have small photographs and then list them as either "lightly restored" or forget to mention the restoration at all.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Mirosae

« Reply #7554 on: June 30, 2015, 01:49:01 AM »
9 hours in and I have hit auction fatigue  imbecile.gif  coffee sad.gif.............and the Golden age of Hollywood is tomorrow...looking forward to that!!

+1

Mirosae

« Reply #7555 on: June 30, 2015, 01:49:57 AM »
I lost track in the end. Congratulations to the new owners.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7556 on: June 30, 2015, 01:52:55 AM »
Here I've wasted my time searching for nice unrestored lobbies, when apparently the way to do it is buy heavily restored ones, have small photographs and then list them as either "lightly restored" or forget to mention the restoration at all.

Seems to happen from time to time, Sean.

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #7557 on: June 30, 2015, 02:05:14 AM »
Floored by some of these prices... this has to be (already) the most lucrative poster/card auction ever?  Unreal.

I was thinking the same Vick (both crazy?) It seems to be hugely popular. I will give it to Profiles how they have managed this auction so far. It is everywhere! On Ebay and on any other general auction site. I do not know if this is the norm for Profiles (do others know.?) , it certainly seems to be working..

Given the huge volume of high quality material...i suspect it is one of the most profitable auctions... tbc

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7558 on: June 30, 2015, 02:30:55 AM »
There are bunch of things going on that make this a big auction...Morrie is one of the oldest collectors and has run his own auctions for over a decade...profiles is very aggressive in their conquest of the collectibles market...there is a plethora of rare if not one of a kind material....and it's all in one place...it's a feeding frenzy situation for people with a lot of money...it's all available at the same time ... If you have wanted these pieces for a long time...well here they are...all together....you don't have to painstakingly search forever....even if it's not a good deal...it's only money...and they aren't making any more of these!

Sean is right that these cards were graded very haphazardly...and the restoration is hard to know for sure...one lot was announced with a vertical crease right as the bidding was going and no mention on the lot detail...and defects on individual lobby cards in the sets were glossed over if they were mentioned at all...you need to be very careful in this auction
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 05:33:54 AM by Filmlobbycards »
Tait

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7559 on: June 30, 2015, 04:10:57 AM »
Let alone the very vast size of the collection to begin with and the vast array of genres Morrie has gathered over the decades. For any that truly know, PIH advertises and promotes all of their auctions in much the same way; they get the word out far in advance and keep it in the 'collector's eye' well in advance of the auction all the way up to auction day.

And Morrie has promoted it as well, on sites like MOPO, to help 'further the cause.'  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #7560 on: June 30, 2015, 08:38:19 AM »
Sounds like a bunch of high-end elitist collector snobs if you ask me... who are after the image rather than the art.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #7561 on: June 30, 2015, 09:19:45 AM »
... who are after the image rather than the art.

To be fair, the majority of LCs collectors fall into that category given that they are nearly always photographic in nature. 

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #7562 on: June 30, 2015, 10:16:19 AM »
Between the BP, "low estimate" opening bids, state sales tax, unclear shipping, and a website that makes it maddeningly difficult to figure any of that out, I'm pretty much going to be non-competitive in these, given what is happening.  Will take a shot at a couple of lots today but am not confident.

That said, many of the lots are truly items that you can go a long time without seeing, so if you need them for your collection it's definitely time to go all in.  I'm hoping that a few winners will decide to flip their conquests in a less frenzied environment since I'm mostly interested in items that are in larger bulk lots.
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #7563 on: June 30, 2015, 12:03:46 PM »
To be fair, the majority of LCs collectors fall into that category given that they are nearly always photographic in nature. 

I meant the "image" of being able to say they own something from THE Morris Everett... rather than them being actual film or lobby card enthusiasts.  I'm just being facetious...although i'm sure pricks like that have picked up a few cards over the past two days.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7564 on: June 30, 2015, 12:07:34 PM »
The jewels from the "MEC" are truly incredible. And with day 2 about to commence, we can only wonder how all of these will do!   notworthy.gif

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #7565 on: June 30, 2015, 12:32:22 PM »
Between the BP, "low estimate" opening bids, state sales tax, unclear shipping, and a website that makes it maddeningly difficult to figure any of that out

That said, many of the lots are truly items that you can go a long time without seeing, so if you need them for your collection it's definitely time to go all in. 

True. The shipping is a nightmare for sure. Cant figure out what they do with it. The item i want says "item to be collected in person " or something similar...

but  I give him credit for putting together such an incredible collection, a triumph of both quality and quantity.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #7566 on: June 30, 2015, 12:33:10 PM »
Sounds like a bunch of high-end elitist collector snobs if you ask me... who are after the image rather than the art.

Some folks are picking up incredible, extremely rare pieces.  Their reasons for buying them are their own, of course.  

It's no wonder why so many folks don't participate here, or other places like this.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 12:33:55 PM by Neo »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #7567 on: June 30, 2015, 12:36:26 PM »
The jewels from the "MEC" are truly incredible. And with day 2 about to commence, we can only wonder how all of these will do!   notworthy.gif

Absolutely.  For all of us who won't be able to watch, it would be excellent if someone posts some of the results.  cool1

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7568 on: June 30, 2015, 12:41:31 PM »
Some folks are picking up incredible, extremely rare pieces.  Their reasons for buying them are their own, of course.  

It's no wonder why so many folks don't participate here, or other places like this.

Indeed, Brandon.

SO much of what he is offering will not be seen again, or offered by anyone else (unless/until the new owners choose to pass them on again, at some point).

cheers

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #7569 on: June 30, 2015, 02:08:01 PM »
prices are all over the board. there are some obvious items selling for a lot and very much selling well below value (can we say 4 Circus lc's for just 1000 hammer?)
as Sean noted to me yesterday, the best sellers are in beautiful unrestored condition<<<<< key aspect

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7570 on: June 30, 2015, 02:10:42 PM »
prices are all over the board. there are some obvious items selling for a lot and very much selling well below value (can we say 4 Circus lc's for just 1000 hammer?)
as Sean noted to me yesterday, the best sellers are in beautiful unrestored condition<<<<< key aspect

clap clap clap clap

-Jeff

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7571 on: June 30, 2015, 02:28:48 PM »

Yep...and there have been some real steals....I am extremely happy with the ones I have won....I have been looking for a card from this film for nearly 20 years...and I thought it was cheap...considering what it is...

Tait

Mirosae

« Reply #7572 on: June 30, 2015, 03:23:46 PM »
Buster is such a winner!! Congratulations. Were you the one that bought The General LC? I nearly went for that one..

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7573 on: June 30, 2015, 03:42:23 PM »
Do you guys ever wonder who the buyers are?  It's insane to me that there are so many people willing to spend so much money on movie posters, let alone single lobby cards.

Who are these people?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7574 on: June 30, 2015, 03:50:10 PM »
Do you guys ever wonder who the buyers are?  It's insane to me that there are so many people willing to spend so much money on movie posters, let alone single lobby cards.

Who are these people?

T

Well one of them is Tait.  Divulging the others we'd have to kill you
Chris