Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838077 times)

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #7225 on: April 17, 2015, 02:05:34 AM »
That is a really important poster...on several levels...first it is one of the very best silent 6 sheets to ever surface...not to mention it is a gorgeous stone litho...beyond it being "just" from a top collected director...this poster coalesces important western themes ...rarity and condition are other important factors ...the theme of the film has a broader historical importance to collectors..it would not surprise me if the new owner collected western art or Railroadiana ...native American and westward expansion historical art is very popular and expensive right now....and this is one of the grandest early pieces from a film touching on those subjects....in this case it's not just a movie poster from a silent film...it's an historical artifact....which is more important than poster design and obviously more important than the "watchability" of the film...it's an impressive result...and just more proof that rare vintage posters are commanding prices that are clearly deserved when the quality, condition, rarity and historical importance all convene...  I don't see the need to disparage great posters that get unexpected results...even if you think the poster is boring ... 99% of posters created in the last 20 years are extremely boring and show absolutely no artistic merit...even as wrapping paper...

« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 02:40:44 AM by Filmlobbycards »
Tait

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7226 on: April 17, 2015, 03:26:52 AM »
This poster also contains elements and visuals that fully tie together the subject matter of the film as a whole.

And the detail in the artwork is just beautiful. And it has survived, intact and with color that has not faded.

I would take this over any photo shopped or digitally cobbled image poster, any day of the week... (but that's just me). 

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #7227 on: April 17, 2015, 04:56:12 AM »
Could be as simple as -- Early Ford, large format.  There are so many people in Hollywood who were influenced by him.  

Agree!
in this case it's not just a movie poster from a silent film...it's an historical artifact....

Agree!

As one who loves his films and collects  John Ford's posters I have to say that it is really good to see this poster doing so well. Iron Horse is a very important film for many reasons, Ford fanatics know that it is actually difficult to get a decent poster for many of his films, so this is a rare treat. Whoever bought this just bought a piece of cinema and as Tait says a piece of Americana history. But I can see why it might not appeal to everyone, oddly enough I do not love it either. Which suits me fine,  I just now  hope that whoever s/he is can now leave the US OS for me.. she has to find it..... she has to find it. girly2.gif

Congratulations to the new owner!  :)

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7228 on: April 17, 2015, 03:50:56 PM »
I just now  hope that whoever s/he is can now leave the US OS for me.. she has to find it..... she has to find it. girly2.gif

Congratulations to the new owner!  :)

The one sheet is fantastic..both the one sheet and 6 sheet show the dichotomy of the film's narrative..the poster advertising campaign was very interesting in that they at least attempted to show both sides of the reaction to building the transcontinental railroad... With the Native American perched on a cliff watching them work on the Railroad!

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/9869860.html
Tait

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7229 on: April 17, 2015, 11:51:08 PM »
So what about all those arguments that Bruce doesn't get sales results?
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7230 on: April 17, 2015, 11:52:27 PM »
Has that been argued?

Guess i missed that ... 8)

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7231 on: April 18, 2015, 12:12:11 AM »
Has that been argued?

Guess i missed that ... 8)

Absolutely has...
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7232 on: April 18, 2015, 12:24:45 AM »
The proof is in the numbers, not the arguments (for or against), i think it would be safe to say.   ;)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 12:35:17 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #7233 on: April 18, 2015, 05:22:51 AM »
Looking at Bruce's top results last time he achieved a similar number was in 2013. Either way, it was an excellent  result and he should be mighty proud. Ha needs some competition.

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #7234 on: April 18, 2015, 12:39:28 PM »
Bruce posted this on his Facebook page a few hours ago:

"MISSION IMPOSSIBLE! Just four weeks ago, a very long time collector approached me with an offer. He would bring my auction house, eMoviePoster.com, approximately 20,000 items to auction, but ONLY if I would immediately make a special auction of his "better" 545 linenbacked posters, and only if I would commit to auctioning the best of the rest of his items over the next 10 weeks. I asked when he wanted to bring the items, and he said in TWO DAYS!

I assembled my top people and we decided it was "do-able", and so I told the consignor we would do it, but with two important conditions:
1) Every item had to be honestly described, with no glossing over defects or using images that hid defects. Some posters would be described as being in "poor" or "fair" condition, and the consignor had to be able to live with this.
2) Every item had to TRULY have no reserve and start at $1 (as all our auctions do). This would guarantee that there WOULD be some items that would sell for far under what they might retail for, but there would be compensating high results, and the consignor had to be able to live with this.

The consignor agreed, and brought the 20,000 items by truck two days later. When he arrived, I took him on a tour of our facility, showing exactly HOW we are able to hold 2,500 unique auctions every WEEK, and when we were done 30 minutes later, his truck was entirely unloaded, and he was on his way!

We held the special auction of the 545 linenbacked posters last week, and it took in just under $250,000. For the next day, you can see EVERY one of those results (with images, condition grades, selling prices and buyer IDs) in a single gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/sort/4/results.html (after tomorrow, they will move to individual results galleries for each of the three parts).

This auction contained 137 great posters from the 1930s, and you can see just those here: http://www.emovieposter.com/…/tag/decade%253A1…/results.html

The auction was a major success, highlighted by the $50,388 paid for a six-sheet from The Iron Horse, with many high prices, but also (as predicted) with several wonderful buys at low prices (and these were all really purchased by collectors and dealers, and were NOT secretly "bought in" as happens at some many auctions).

There is NO other auction house in the world that could have made this happen in such a short period of time (four weeks from arrival to all sold!), and the auctions went off without a hitch. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

It could not have happened without the concerted efforts of EVERY one of our employees, and such unprecedented success under such trying conditions on the part of our employees deserved an unprecedented response on my part, and on Friday, I gave EVERY one of our 32 employees a raise!"

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #7235 on: April 18, 2015, 12:52:22 PM »
^ Thanks, well, I learned something today... I didn't know one can put so much writing into a single facebook post!

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #7236 on: April 18, 2015, 01:02:50 PM »

^ Thanks, well, I learned something today... I didn't know one can put so much writing into a single facebook post!

Many of Bruce's posts are interesting, informative, etc.

For people who prefer dull one-liners, there is Twitter.  wynk
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 01:06:55 PM by Neo »

Mirosae

« Reply #7237 on: April 18, 2015, 01:48:26 PM »
Thanks for sharing Brandon. I see he has given a pay raise to his staff.  Good to hear the human side of business.  thumbsup.gif

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #7238 on: April 18, 2015, 02:45:01 PM »
Very well done to Bruce and his staff.

Seems to be a cracking turn around and result.  Their success is all fully justified.

Great story.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7239 on: April 18, 2015, 02:51:11 PM »
And let's not forget the consignor! emovie auctioned it -- but the consignor provided it in the first place.  notworthy.gif

Im sure that person is also jumping with joy!

It does make one wonder, too, how that 6'er would have fared on HA. And for no other reason than me pondering the question.

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #7240 on: April 18, 2015, 03:27:29 PM »
I wish we could know knew who these consignors were.  I don't need names, but stories are nice.  Neo maybe you can ask Bruce, I don't have facebook.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7241 on: April 18, 2015, 03:57:30 PM »
I wish we could know knew who these consignors were.  I don't need names, but stories are nice.  Neo maybe you can ask Bruce, I don't have facebook.

Agree, Vick. The poster back stories, (where they were found, obtained, located etc) all add so much to not only the interest of a poster, but its provenance as well.

-Jeff

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #7242 on: April 18, 2015, 04:11:26 PM »
I wish we could know knew who these consignors were.  I don't need names, but stories are nice.  Neo maybe you can ask Bruce, I don't have facebook.

Auction houses never reveal the consignors' and bidders' information, unless there is a special circumstance.  In this case, Bruce wrote a few weeks ago, about Dwight Cleveland, who consigned a vast amount of stuff at eMovie.  The above article is referring to Mr. Cleveland's consigned collection.

From eMovieposter.com:

And another source:
http://entertainment.suntimes.com/entertainment-news/chicagoan-selling-massive-movie-poster-collection/
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 04:25:31 PM by Neo »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7243 on: April 18, 2015, 04:15:55 PM »
Similar to HA's discussion and description of the Berwick Collection.

Good stuff, there, Brandon.

Bruce made it well known that Dwight Cleveland was the consignor of these items.. and as well he should have, in that case, as the items offered by Cleveland were truly ones of a kind, in many cases.

Not to mention the fact that Cleveland was posting to MOPO himself, also promoting the upcoming sales EVENT!  thumbsup.gif
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 04:36:31 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7244 on: April 18, 2015, 04:31:39 PM »
This consignor is Dwight Cleveland...
http://www.dwightclevelandposterarchive.com/

Some of the best individual posters (85) were suppose to be sold through Heritage March 23, 2012 I think ...but made it into different auctions around that time....some did not sell...like the Horse Feathers 3 sheet...which is an extremely rare poster...and had too high of a reserve...I think the Chaplin good for nothing poster Bruce just sold was in that auction too

I'm guessing he is keeping some of the rarest and most valuable posters...we still haven't seen the IHON one sheet, or the Italian Casablanca come to auction....or the Birth of a Nation OS with the klansman on horseback..his Keaton The General poster....wizard of oz insert....czech King Kong

He claimed to have 35,000 total for sale a few years ago for over $3 million...and if Bruce "only" got 20,000... There still some great stuff waiting in the wings....there are pics online of some of his "keepers"

Between Morrie and Dwight....this is a crazy year to get a chance to buy posters that have been locked up in private collections for decades
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 05:13:51 PM by Filmlobbycards »
Tait

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7245 on: April 18, 2015, 05:08:39 PM »
And speaking of Morrie and Dwight....I almost forgot about this article...don't faint Rosa when you get to the last paragraph
http://www.forbes.com/forbes-life-magazine/2007/1210/097.html
Tait

Mirosae

« Reply #7246 on: April 18, 2015, 05:13:50 PM »

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #7247 on: April 18, 2015, 05:59:02 PM »
And speaking of Morrie and Dwight....I almost forgot about this article...don't faint Rosa when you get to the last paragraph
http://www.forbes.com/forbes-life-magazine/2007/1210/097.html

What a wonderful read.
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #7248 on: April 18, 2015, 10:30:48 PM »
“Some of the bulletproof genres for investing are 1950s sci-fi ... "

What a difference 8 years makes...
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7249 on: April 19, 2015, 12:08:15 PM »
What a difference 8 years makes...

How true...
Chris