Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838026 times)

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #7150 on: March 28, 2015, 06:01:48 PM »
M went ....when my computer crashed moron1

I cannot believe my stupid idiot luck  moron1

That's happened to me before as well.  How do these blasted machines know?  Really sorry about that, Rosa, M is on my list as well (after I win the lottery anyway).  Hopefully the universe has a better plan for you and M such that it needed you to hold on a little longer.

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7151 on: March 28, 2015, 06:14:07 PM »
First one today.  Finally!!!  ROLLED, very fine.

Was looking into the French Gilda but a friend of mine warned me that the condition is really bad.  Completely redone from top to bottom.

T
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 06:16:54 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Mirosae

« Reply #7152 on: March 28, 2015, 07:04:04 PM »
Congrats...T!

Mirosae

« Reply #7153 on: March 28, 2015, 07:05:54 PM »
That's happened to me before as well.  How do these blasted machines know?  Really sorry about that, Rosa, M is on my list as well (after I win the lottery anyway).  Hopefully the universe has a better plan for you and M such that it needed you to hold on a little longer.

--Peter

Thanks Peter...today was a bloody disaster. ..oh well. I'm eating me chocolate. Yes. No stopping now.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7154 on: March 28, 2015, 07:26:31 PM »
Thanks Peter...today was a bloody disaster. ..oh well. I'm eating me chocolate. Yes. No stopping now.

Think about the owner of the M poster.  If he had read your post, he would probably be like - shit, I could have sold this poster for 2k more had her computer worked properly.  Are you feeling sorry for him?

T
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 07:26:58 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Mirosae

« Reply #7155 on: March 28, 2015, 07:39:55 PM »
That's a good way to look at it T. Not sorry for him or her... Certainly not. I guess it was not meant to be. :-\
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 07:49:02 PM by Mirosae »

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #7156 on: March 28, 2015, 09:11:30 PM »

And a nice number on the MALTESE 6sh, too... after what looked like a more slow start!  thumbsup.gif

Yep.  Prime example of how sometimes it only takes two bidders to really get an auction going.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7157 on: March 28, 2015, 10:33:37 PM »
Done for today, and actually for the weekend since I promised my wife to stay away from the computer tomorrow.

For my Eastwood collection...  Finally found a folded copy.

For my Cardinale and Belmondo collections....

For my future Monroe collection (I don't start a collection unless I have at least 20 pieces on a given person and I'm not even close with Marilyn).

Who else won what?

T
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 10:39:20 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7158 on: March 29, 2015, 12:56:25 AM »
T...that really is one of the best Monroe pieces...I watched the movie recently and found it a bit dull...but that poster sure makes it seem great!!

I couldn't win shit today...There were some really over the top prices ..the Frankie montage card Hit $40,000...that is a lot of money for a lobby card...

I wanted the Jazz Singer lobby card...but not for nearly $4,000...Heritage clearly gets consigned the best material because they achieve such outlandish prices...

There were also some pieces that I remember seeing sold on eBay not too long ago and were obviously flipped..the Marx animal crackers die cut was one..it sold for about $400 on eBay..Heritage got $1600....it really matters WHERE you sell things!!!
Tait

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7159 on: March 30, 2015, 03:57:16 AM »
And since I'm just talking to myself...

This stunning poster did pretty well!!  $35,850

http://movieposters.ha.com/itm/drama/the-song-of-songs-paramount-1933-full-bleed-one-sheet-26-x-40-style-a/a/7106-86287.s

I still think this is just about the best Dietrich though...

http://www.emovieposter.com/gallery/inc/archive_image.php?id=11266636

Tait

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #7160 on: March 30, 2015, 09:20:18 AM »
I'm surprised no one is discussing the results for Frank and LAM... 

Mirosae

« Reply #7161 on: March 30, 2015, 10:07:01 AM »
And since I'm just talking to myself...

This stunning poster did pretty well!!  $35,850

http://movieposters.ha.com/itm/drama/the-song-of-songs-paramount-1933-full-bleed-one-sheet-26-x-40-style-a/a/7106-86287.s

I thought it could have gone for a bit more, it is such a beautiful poster. I noticed that it was the one just behind the auctioneer. Congratulations to the new owner!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7162 on: March 30, 2015, 12:38:23 PM »
I think what (potentially) shows about FRANK and LAM results is how restoration (and/or re-creation in the case of the bottom 1/3 of the London 3sh) can truly affect value or perceived value on items of this rarity and caliber. Both are only known copies from 2 films that many would give an eye tooth to own. And by comparison, and as FLC noted above...look how well the one Frank montage card did.. $40k for a lobby!

I thought Frank would surely get to at least $500K and that LAM would make it too perhaps 175-200K.

That certainly wasnt the case for either.  :-\

But if he was the winner on both, I'm sure Mr Hammett is now a happy camper.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 12:41:13 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #7163 on: March 30, 2015, 12:56:57 PM »
I thought it could have gone for a bit more, it is such a beautiful poster. I noticed that it was the one just behind the auctioneer. Congratulations to the new owner!

Yeah, Congrats.  I HATE you, new owner.  And the new owner of that Bitter Tea Half Sheet.  Also, the new owner of Love Before Breakfast.  And anything else I wanted and couldn't afford.  Ha.

:P

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #7164 on: March 30, 2015, 01:00:32 PM »
I think what (potentially) shows about FRANK and LAM results is how restoration (and/or re-creation in the case of the bottom 1/3 of the London 3sh) can truly affect value or perceived value on items of this rarity and caliber. Both are only known copies from 2 films that many would give an eye tooth to own. And by comparison, and as FLC noted above...look how well the one Frank montage card did.. $40k for a lobby!

I thought Frank would surely get to at least $500K and that LAM would make it too perhaps 175-200K.

That certainly wasnt the case for either.  :-\

But if he was the winner on both, I'm sure Mr Hammett is now a happy camper.  ;D

Yeah, I wonder how much the poor condition factored in (and it truly WAS in poor condition.  Not like when we had that huge debate about the Dracula OS found in Berwick, that was in excellent condition IMO).  It would be interesting to see how much the Frankie Sixer would go for, it being in mint condition and all....I think that would be the true bellwether to see how high some of this universal paper could go for...

Mirosae

« Reply #7165 on: March 30, 2015, 01:53:31 PM »
Yeah, Congrats.  I HATE you, new owner.  And the new owner of that Bitter Tea Half Sheet.  Also, the new owner of Love Before Breakfast.  And anything else I wanted and couldn't afford.  Ha.

:P

Yes. I have got nothing. 0 posters. Nil. I was outbid yesterday. I didn't appreciate  the experience.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7166 on: March 30, 2015, 02:02:58 PM »
Yeah, I wonder how much the poor condition factored in (and it truly WAS in poor condition.  Not like when we had that huge debate about the Dracula OS found in Berwick, that was in excellent condition IMO).  It would be interesting to see how much the Frankie Sixer would go for, it being in mint condition and all....I think that would be the true bellwether to see how high some of this universal paper could go for...

In talking with others about the Frank and LAM 3sh, i would certainly say that the restoration played a huge part. The 'purists' may have stayed away and only bid so high.

Had these both been in much better found condition, i can only think their numbers would have soared much higher. Only known, one of a kind items, combined with those 2 very collectible titles..... it would have been the perfect 'bid' storm, rather than a heavy rain shower.

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #7167 on: March 30, 2015, 02:24:23 PM »

Did Hammet win the LAM one sheet?  Maye there's just him and another power collector who competed for the frankie 3 sh, King kong, LAMs...  so really, the only reason the prices are over 100K to begin with comes down to two individuals.  Had they not been interested, who knows Frankie might have gone for 100K?  
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 02:25:45 PM by Crazy Vick »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7168 on: March 30, 2015, 02:46:08 PM »
Nice pickups there, T.

Congrats!

thumbup

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7169 on: March 30, 2015, 02:57:18 PM »
So am I the only one who actually won something?  I find that hard to believe.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #7170 on: March 30, 2015, 02:57:34 PM »
Some nice returns on war posters, in particular this WW1 Leyendecker which went for a whopping $3,346
   faint2.gif

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7171 on: March 30, 2015, 03:01:29 PM »
So am I the only one who actually won something?  I find that hard to believe.

T

I was only a spectator ... as I do like to watch...  ;D

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7172 on: March 30, 2015, 03:03:19 PM »
I was only a spectator ... as I do like to watch...  ;D

Funny.  I hate to watch if I can't afford it.  I stayed away from the computer and only came back when I heard the bell.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7173 on: March 30, 2015, 03:04:53 PM »
Funny.  I hate to watch if I can't afford it.  I stayed away from the computer and only came back when I heard the bell.

T

I wasn't glued to the entire thing either..the bell was also what brought me back... i was just more meaning there were no buys for me over the weekend.

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7174 on: March 30, 2015, 03:42:13 PM »
Even with a few condition issues... this LC from Marked Woman is a beauty.. and at 1200.00 plus the BP.... not a bad deal at all, imo.
Nothing like the WB artwork from the 1930s.. their artists had that signature style.  bed1

http://movieposters.ha.com/itm/movie-posters/crime/marked-woman-warner-brothers-1937-title-lobby-card-11-x-14-/a/7106-86623.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-endofauction#Photo

-Jeff