Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838023 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #7075 on: March 06, 2015, 03:53:34 PM »
You have a great eye my friend....that is one of the great undervalued posters of our hobby (especially compared to the prices of other 1934 one sheets)...there is actually a bunch to talk about when it comes to that poster and 1934 in general...1934 is one of the sneaky runners up of best film years...first the poster...20th century fox made the film...but United Artists handled the distribution...they went all out on the One sheet and half assed the other material (typical)..the title card is actually quite nice...but the lack of color compared to the one sheet is odd...After all UA released 20 or so films in 1934 vs. about 13 in 1933...that's a big change in advertising $$$...Come to think if it the French version of Les Miserables, moulin rouge, the merry widow and the gay divorcee were all competing as musicals with Fred and Ginger winning...stiff competition because Lubitsch was killing it during that period!

Now 1934 had a bunch of sneaky great films so the competition was unusual..hence the complete surprise of It Happened One Night sweeping the major categories...an absolutely wonderful surprise for a quick revised screenplay from a little known literary short story source called "night bus"....but let's get to the movie year

It happened One Night, the thin man, the black cat, Tarzan and his mate, of human bondage, Twentieth century, the merry widow, treasure island...dames, it's a gift, Babes in Toyland, cleopatra...Hitchcocks the man who knew too much (how much do you think the insert would fetch at Heritage?)...Manhattan melodrama, chan in London...and you have the first year of The 3 stooges culminating in them being nominated for an ACADEMY AWARD!!...One of the best our gang shorts ...and the write in ballot was introduced because of the vast protestation of both Bette Davis and Myrna Loy being snubbed...and a bunch of other very good films...

Anyway.. there is more to say... but those are the basics

Great post!

clap clap

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #7076 on: March 06, 2015, 04:42:58 PM »
Yes. I am craving now for 30s posters. .or Uhm 20s...Uhm. ..30s.. ah.... girly2.gif

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7077 on: March 07, 2015, 04:04:27 PM »
Thanks kids....I'm happy to share and I'm stoked that we are talking about great posters AND great movies   qip  woohoo

I almost forgot...1934 had some great debuts....Jimmy Stewart, Bob Hope, Alec Guiness, Ros Russell and .....drumroll please...Rita Hayworth (uncredited extra)....oh and Sophia Loren was born that year...Mama Mia!!
Tait

Offline kobun37

• Beginner
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 06:17:14 AM by kobun37 »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7079 on: March 10, 2015, 09:26:54 AM »
Sucks man but no doubt there will be another opportunity at some point
Chris

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #7080 on: March 10, 2015, 07:27:59 PM »
Ever had a bunch of stuff you've been wanting come up all at once at the MOST inopportune financial moment? I'm moving this month so I decided to just bid on the first two links since they were the ones I wanted most. Was first underbidder on both.  sad.gif

Bummer, K. 

Patience is key, and if/when others appear for sale, they may be cheaper, better condition, etc.

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #7081 on: March 10, 2015, 07:33:25 PM »
This Reservoir Dogs commercial poster from Cinemasterpieces (who allegedly got it from Heritage) sold last month.  What a deal.  mesmrized

For the record, here is the thread at NSFGE, where several people chimed in on how to spot an original from a fake. http://stylec.yuku.com/topic/5750/Real-Fake-or-Real-Fake-Bruce-Posteritati#.VP98YuElnCo

From Archie Leach: The original 40x60's for Res. Dogs and Pulp Fiction can be easily identified by having black bar on the poster. For Pulp Fiction, it has the date of October 21. For Res. Dogs, it's the 'Amazing, pumping powerhouse of a movie' quote. Also, the printing quality of the originals is superior.

Mirosae

« Reply #7082 on: March 10, 2015, 07:45:11 PM »
I've never seen this one before..thanks Brandon!! :)

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #7083 on: March 10, 2015, 08:22:14 PM »
Very Grouchy collector?..... haha shit.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7084 on: March 10, 2015, 10:22:45 PM »
Very Grouchy collector?..... haha shit.

That is awesome that Dave included that!
Chris

Mirosae

« Reply #7085 on: March 12, 2015, 06:19:31 PM »
This went for $1 ($15 wbp) last Sunday at HA. I still think it was a good deal.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #7086 on: March 12, 2015, 08:01:06 PM »
that's a Fawcett Magazine Rosa.

back about 1986/7 three of my friends and I bought the contents of 2 small warehouses that were owned by Fawcett and Standard publishers who had by then been bought out by a larger company that wanted the space cleared.

we came home with a 24ft truck loaded to the gills with comic books, magazines, pulps, premium items and more from 1909-1961
all Fawcett publications there were 3 complete sets bound of each magazine, pulp & almost all the comic  books that were kept for each of the Fawcett bros.
there were also a duplicate complete set for each brother that were not bound. These magazines were all in newstand mint condition and I still have a box of them in my collection.
When we were selling these, it was like a feeding frenzy esp for the movie magazines

we also got a van full (an extended length Chevy) of original comic art & magazine illustration stacked 2 feet high front to back

it was loaded with great stuff and I still have some of that. I made almost 500k from that deal & still have over 200k left

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Mirosae

« Reply #7087 on: March 13, 2015, 11:16:42 AM »

that's a Fawcett Magazine Rosa.

back about 1986/7 three of my friends and I bought the contents of 2 small warehouses that were owned by Fawcett and Standard publishers who had by then been bought out by a larger company that wanted the space cleared.

we came home with a 24ft truck loaded to the gills with comic books, magazines, pulps, premium items and more from 1909-1961
all Fawcett publications there were 3 complete sets bound of each magazine, pulp & almost all the comic  books that were kept for each of the Fawcett bros.
there were also a duplicate complete set for each brother that were not bound. These magazines were all in newstand mint condition and I still have a box of them in my collection.
When we were selling these, it was like a feeding frenzy esp for the movie magazines

we also got a van full (an extended length Chevy) of original comic art & magazine illustration stacked 2 feet high front to back

it was loaded with great stuff and I still have some of that. I made almost 500k from that deal & still have over 200k left

WoW, thanks Rich, it must have been quite something getting all that material, I bet you guys had a good couple of days going through all  that stuff.

I don't know much about these magazines, so have no idea if they are valuable, rare or not. I was just surprised that something at HA made it at $1 (+ healthy BP). Who said you can't get cheapy stuff on HA!

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #7088 on: March 13, 2015, 02:41:22 PM »
it was fun. at the time we as a group regularly split very large deals and did several warehouse finds

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Mirosae

« Reply #7089 on: March 13, 2015, 03:24:36 PM »
Sounds like fun!

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #7090 on: March 13, 2015, 03:38:29 PM »
That is awesome that Dave included that!

It would have been better if he'd actually not misrepresented the part about it 'being sold in UK record stores' completely distorting the point that these were widely available all over the US.  About 6 or 7 years ago, there were well over 30 of these listed on ebay under separate auctions at any given time.

I have one sitting in a closet.  Maybe I should contact Dave...

Mirosae

« Reply #7091 on: March 13, 2015, 03:49:13 PM »
^ Fair point. It did read to me like only distributed in the UK. I am not interested in that poster so didn't bother to check.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7093 on: March 15, 2015, 10:32:38 PM »
Was watching that one Matias.  Given past sales results might be more economical to wait for an insert that is complete?  Would be tough to restore those photographic elements.

But yes still a nice image!
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #7094 on: March 15, 2015, 11:21:54 PM »
Whoever got this insert for "The Gaucho"... F**k you!!!

There was only one bid you cheap skate! :)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7095 on: March 15, 2015, 11:25:16 PM »

There was only one bid you cheap skate! :)

Must have gotten locked in the bunker again
Chris

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #7096 on: March 16, 2015, 07:37:10 AM »
Both of you are correct. I was in the bunker at the time, and I am a cheap bastard (plus, I didn't have the funds at the time)  ;D
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Mirosae

« Reply #7097 on: March 16, 2015, 02:25:51 PM »
Shame you didnt get it Matias, it is a very nice poster.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7098 on: March 16, 2015, 03:14:10 PM »
Was watching that one Matias.  Given past sales results might be more economical to wait for an insert that is complete?  Would be tough to restore those photographic elements.

But yes still a nice image!

Luckily, it looks like what is missing are just parts of her dress, whatever bench she was sitting on and the more generic /non descript looking background. Had it been her face.. that would have a been a real challenge to re-create, too.

-Jeff

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #7099 on: March 16, 2015, 05:29:50 PM »
No problem Rosa. Just seconds ago I found a marvelous poster I have been looking for years. And I didn't spent a 10th part of what that insert sold for.
I am a happy bastard right now!!!!!!!
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo