Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838167 times)

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #7050 on: March 01, 2015, 08:40:58 PM »
ma500969 spent like 35K on this Sunday afternoon...came, saw and conquered those stone lithos.  Fucker.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 08:41:30 PM by Crazy Vick »

Mirosae

« Reply #7051 on: March 02, 2015, 03:40:41 AM »
ma500969 spent like 35K on this Sunday afternoon...came, saw and conquered those stone lithos.  Fucker.

ma500969  Congratulations  Way Down East is all yours!

I was the underbidder  I tried.. I really wanted that poster... oh well... next time I suppose

Vick you are sooooooo right. No idea who s/he is ...but boy...can s/he hurt...i  am still licking  my wounds....

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #7052 on: March 02, 2015, 08:59:59 AM »
Vick you are sooooooo right. No idea who s/he is ...but boy...can s/he hurt...i  am still licking  my wounds....

I'd love to know if this person is a collector or a dealer.

Notwithstanding the prices trending down on classic pieces (50s horror, this gun for hire, etc) and all the points made by Rich (which i agree with), clearly some people still see this stuff as an investment.  filip, ma500969... who the hell spends 35K on posters unless he is certain of the ROI ?   

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #7053 on: March 02, 2015, 09:39:36 AM »
ma500969... who the hell spends 35K on posters unless he is certain of the ROI ?   

I think it's more of a case of clearly doesn't give a damn about the ROI. 

Add me to the Extreme Disdain for ma500969 Club. 

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #7054 on: March 02, 2015, 09:47:28 AM »

Add me to the Extreme Disdain for ma500969 Club. 

Hansom Cabman?
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Mirosae

« Reply #7055 on: March 02, 2015, 10:25:03 AM »
I'd love to know if this person is a collector or a dealer.

Same here. I always assumed he is a collector. I could not find the poster for sale anywhere else, so he must be a collector (unless he is one of those dealers that buy for other people)  He is in my black list..  moron1

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #7056 on: March 02, 2015, 12:28:26 PM »
Someone got a CRAZY great deal on the Gun Crazy six sheet at Bonhams in LA this weekend.  It was already framed beautifully and linen-backed, and the six-sheet went for $3750 (price already including the completely INSANE 25% BP).  I'm thinking it would almost cost 3k to frame and linen-back a sixer.

Congrats to the new owner!  It was stunning in person.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7057 on: March 02, 2015, 12:34:38 PM »
Yep - as is the case quite often - the investment on restoration, backing and/or framing doesn't equate back when selling

That's why in many cases taking on the additional costs should be done more for personal enjoyment
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 01:51:28 PM by CSM »
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #7058 on: March 02, 2015, 12:37:21 PM »
Agreed regarding the deal.  I was watching that one...

Mirosae

« Reply #7059 on: March 02, 2015, 12:47:12 PM »
$3750... s/he got a lot for that money... indeed..   girly2.gif

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #7060 on: March 02, 2015, 12:51:01 PM »
And an even better deal if you were in LA to pick it up.  Damn, I wish I had stuck around for this piece haha.  It would kind of take over my apartment though...

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #7061 on: March 02, 2015, 01:02:07 PM »
And here is another Golden Age poster that sold on Ebay on Saturday for $2325.  I was in it until the end...went a bit too high for me.  Gorgeous stone-litho in not bad condition.  Discovered in a box in a barn!!  Ahh, love when that happens...especially when the condition stays so nice :)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7062 on: March 02, 2015, 01:11:19 PM »
And here is another Golden Age poster that sold on Ebay on Saturday for $2325.  I was in it until the end...went a bit too high for me.  Gorgeous stone-litho in not bad condition.  Discovered in a box in a barn!!  Ahh, love when that happens...especially when the condition stays so nice :)

faint2.gif thumbsup.gif

Love this.

Now that's the way to see a found poster, untouched and farm-fresh, in all its glory.  

Simply Stunning!

(I can think of one other member here on APF who also LOVES C. Bennett... hmmmm-- I wonder...  hmmm.gif)

« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 01:13:49 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #7063 on: March 02, 2015, 01:15:49 PM »
Yep, its a truly gorgeous poster.  One of the greats of the hobby, methinks.  Love the lay-out and color.  Oh well :'(

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7064 on: March 02, 2015, 01:20:49 PM »
It's pure art... plain and simple.

How amazing would it be to find the original art/canvas that this poster was created from.

Mama mia!

bed1
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 01:21:27 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7065 on: March 02, 2015, 01:53:06 PM »
What else was in the box!
Chris

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #7066 on: March 02, 2015, 02:01:46 PM »
What else was in the box!

I'm on it!

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #7067 on: March 04, 2015, 09:36:21 PM »

Vick you are sooooooo right. No idea who s/he is ...but boy...can s/he hurt...i  am still licking  my wounds....

He picked up another couple of nice lithos last night... ma500969 who are you and why do you hate us so much?

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3780094

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3780112
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 09:37:11 PM by Crazy Vick »

Mirosae

« Reply #7068 on: March 05, 2015, 11:38:42 AM »
Good Lord. Deep pocket. He might be a banker Or my dentist...

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #7069 on: March 05, 2015, 05:10:17 PM »
If somebody had a few silent posters, a black heart, and a willing accomplice to do some shill bidding they could take Mr/s. Ma to the cleaners.  There's something to be said for letting others get one every once in awhile.

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Mirosae

« Reply #7070 on: March 05, 2015, 05:12:07 PM »
If somebody had a few silent posters, a black heart, and a willing accomplice to do some shill bidding they could take Mr/s. Ma to the cleaners.  There's something to be said for letting others get one every once in awhile.

--Peter

Hear Hear. ...

To the mattress I say!

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
  • I said......Give me time......
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
« Reply #7071 on: March 05, 2015, 11:59:54 PM »

--Peter

Interestingly enough this is the exact reason I have considered changing my default name on emovieposter to match my screen name here. For fear of being colluded against (while I feel this is actually low), but also for letting others get one once in a while.
This Space For Rent!

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7072 on: March 06, 2015, 12:45:25 AM »
Yep, its a truly gorgeous poster.  One of the greats of the hobby, methinks.  Love the lay-out and color.  Oh well :'(

You have a great eye my friend....that is one of the great undervalued posters of our hobby (especially compared to the prices of other 1934 one sheets)...there is actually a bunch to talk about when it comes to that poster and 1934 in general...1934 is one of the sneaky runners up of best film years...first the poster...20th century fox made the film...but United Artists handled the distribution...they went all out on the One sheet and half assed the other material (typical)..the title card is actually quite nice...but the lack of color compared to the one sheet is odd...After all UA released 20 or so films in 1934 vs. about 13 in 1933...that's a big change in advertising $$$...Come to think if it the French version of Les Miserables, moulin rouge, the merry widow and the gay divorcee were all competing as musicals with Fred and Ginger winning...stiff competition because Lubitsch was killing it during that period!

Now 1934 had a bunch of sneaky great films so the competition was unusual..hence the complete surprise of It Happened One Night sweeping the major categories...an absolutely wonderful surprise for a quick revised screenplay from a little known literary short story source called "night bus"....but let's get to the movie year

It happened One Night, the thin man, the black cat, Tarzan and his mate, of human bondage, Twentieth century, the merry widow, treasure island...dames, it's a gift, Babes in Toyland, cleopatra...Hitchcocks the man who knew too much (how much do you think the insert would fetch at Heritage?)...Manhattan melodrama, chan in London...and you have the first year of The 3 stooges culminating in them being nominated for an ACADEMY AWARD!!...One of the best our gang shorts ...and the write in ballot was introduced because of the vast protestation of both Bette Davis and Myrna Loy being snubbed...and a bunch of other very good films...

Anyway.. there is more to say... but those are the basics
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 01:01:06 AM by Filmlobbycards »
Tait

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #7073 on: March 06, 2015, 03:17:37 PM »
Aw, shucks, thank you sir :)  It is a stunner of a poster.  I wish I had went with higher max, but it was hovering at 250 until 10 seconds before ending, so I was hoping it wouldn't sky-rocket. 
1934 definitely had its share of amazing films, probably was the year the a few genres were perfected (romantic comedy with IHON and murder-mystery/comedy, maybe dramedy(?) with The Thin Man).  I do believe it can go head to head with '39. 
Thanks for the informative and thoughtful post, I always enjoy reading what you have to say.

Mirosae

« Reply #7074 on: March 06, 2015, 03:27:17 PM »
You have a great eye my friend....that is one of the great undervalued posters of our hobby

Totally agree. Brian has an incredible good eye

Aw, shucks, thank you sir :)  It is a stunner of a poster. 

Thanks for the informative and thoughtful post, I always enjoy reading what you have to say.

I second that. It is truly a pleasure reading your posts. Thank you for sharing!